PDA

View Full Version : Asante Samuel Has Let His Demands Be Known

gr8slayer
06-06-2007, 07:39 PM
The representatives for Patriots franchise player Asante Samuel say their agency has not been contacted by the Jets.
Samuel wants an eight-year, $80 million deal and the Jets have shown interest, according to a report in the Boston Herald. A trade or signing still seems unlikely, as the Pats reportedly would want two first-round picks.

I'm sorry but there is no CB or even player outside of the top QB's and maybe LT that is worth that kind of money.

Mitchy moo
06-06-2007, 07:47 PM
2 unreasonable demands.

Philagape
06-06-2007, 07:54 PM
The NFL needs to do what the NHL has done with a maximum individual contract. It'll never happen, though

Devin
06-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Players play thier first 4-6 years to get a shot at that one big contract.

I dont blame him really, I mean our own Nate Clements set the bar. The sad part is he will likely get it this season or next. Same with Briggs.

LtFinFan66
06-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Somebody thinks too highly of themself

Devin
06-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Thats just the way the NFL is moving, I suspect you will start to see a lot of these type contracts.

gr8slayer
06-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Thats just the way the NFL is moving, I suspect you will start to see a lot of these type contracts.
I have a feeling we'll see the first $200,000,000 man soon.

casdhf
06-06-2007, 08:04 PM
They need to gurantee the contracts like in Baseball. That would put an end to all the back-loading.

gr8slayer
06-06-2007, 08:06 PM
They need to gurantee the contracts like in Baseball. That would put an end to all the back-loading.
But aren't baseball contracts full of clauses?

feldspar
06-06-2007, 08:44 PM

Leave that for soccer. David Beckham just signed a 5-year deal worth about $250 million to play for the Los Angeles Galaxy. I guess he earns $10 million a year in direct salary, but with endorsements and profit sharing, he will earn about 90 dollars for every second he is on the field.

$250 million in five years for playing soccer. Who the hell watches soccer in the United States, anyway? Actually, some people call soccer football, and David Beckham is one of them. So really, we already have seen the first $200,000,000 man in football if you want to get technical.

This actually makes me mad.

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Leave that for soccer. David Beckham just signed a 5-year deal worth about $250 million to play for the Los Angeles Galaxy. I guess he earns $10 million a year in direct salary, but with endorsements and profit sharing, he will earn about 90 dollars for every second he is on the field.

$250 million in five years for playing soccer. Who the hell watches soccer in the United States, anyway? Actually, some people call soccer football, and David Beckham is one of them. So really, we already have seen the first $200,000,000 man in football if you want to get technical.

This actually makes me mad.

I watch alot of soccer, it kicks ass!!

Goobylal
06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Beckham's contract was actually a 5-year $25M deal. The other numbers were projected endorsements that likely won't materialize.

Ingtar33
06-06-2007, 11:27 PM
he's talking about ducking out of the contract and playing in england next year.

it might be done already.

feldspar
06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
he's talking about ducking out of the contract and playing in england next year.

it might be done already.

That would be great. I'm really glad that this is happening to the Patriots right now.

mikemac2001
06-06-2007, 11:38 PM
That would be great. I'm really glad that this is happening to the Patriots right now.

Think he is talking about beckham soccer???

feldspar
06-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Think he is talking about beckham soccer???

That would make sense, so much so as to make me look foolish, acutally.

Anyway, I'm glad Asante Samuel is giving the Pats a hard time. It think I read somewhere that he was talking about holding out until week 10. That's good news.

As for Beckham, I hope he breaks his leg because nobody should make that much money (however much it is) for playing a sport. That, and I'm a jealous *****.

BillsFever21
06-07-2007, 01:32 AM
In 3 or 4 years this contract will seem like a steal.

Some are overreacting to the sound of 80 million/10 per year. He will see maybe 50 million of that. That figure probably includes a ton of incentives and if he reached all them incentives then he would make that much if he wasn't released before then. Guys, there aren't guranteed contracts.

When you see our CB's getting toasted this year and staring at the back of Moss', Stalworth's, Coles' and Chambers jersey numbers all year you may really think that is a steal.

Pinkerton Security
06-07-2007, 07:52 AM
That would make sense, so much so as to make me look foolish, acutally.

Anyway, I'm glad Asante Samuel is giving the Pats a hard time. It think I read somewhere that he was talking about holding out until week 10. That's good news.

As for Beckham, I hope he breaks his leg because nobody should make that much money (however much it is) for playing a sport. That, and I'm a jealous *****.

Ya i read that Samuel has a tattoo on his arm that says something along the lines of "Get Paid", no joke. Ill try to find a pic to back this up, but it is obvious nevertheless that he wants some cash!

Pinkerton Security
06-07-2007, 07:53 AM
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="bodyCopy">Cornerback and impending free agent Asante Samuel is upset with the Patriots' most recent contract proposal.</td> </tr> <tr> <td>http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/images/clear.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="vaLink">"We've talked to them about a new contract," Samuel, who has a tattoo that reads Get Paid, said. "What they offered isn't even worth discussing." Tennessee has been mentioned as a possible landing spot and, as great a story as Hank Poteat is, we can't see the Jets not taking a look.</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="vaLink">http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/images/clear.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="vaLink">Source: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/01/07/payment_due/)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Mr. Miyagi
06-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Actually, some people call soccer football, and David Beckham is one of them.
You mean like the rest of the world outside the US?

Football is really American Football, which came waaaay after the soccer-football.

In fact, which sport do you think is more fitting to the name FOOTball?

Mr. Miyagi
06-07-2007, 08:08 AM
I watch alot of soccer, it kicks ass!!
I don't watch a lot on TV. I do watch some HS games when they play on the fields a few blocks down from my house when I walk the dog.

I play and coach.

gr8slayer
06-07-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm glad too but you know those *******s will come out of it with another first round pick and have two AGAIN next year.

Ickybaluky
06-07-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm glad too but you know those *******s will come out of it with another first round pick and have two AGAIN next year.

They already have 2 next year. If they got another it would make 3.

gr8slayer
06-07-2007, 09:15 AM
They already have 2 next year. If they got another it would make 3.
I hate you.

Night Train
06-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Those numbers mean little, other than a players agent selling it to a potential client.

Dockerys' 7 year 49 Mil contract is actually 4 years for roughly 22 Mil. Prior to year 5, there is a huge roster bonus he'll never see, plus insane backloaded $$ beyond.

All these large contracts are drawn up like that. Remember Bledsoe back in 2001 with the Pats ? 10 years - 102 Mil. It makes good headlines but the language of the contract always shows the contract is usually a fraction of the actual figure.

gr8slayer
06-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Those numbers mean little, other than a players agent selling it to a potential client.

Dockerys' 7 year 49 Mil contract is actually 4 years for roughly 22 Mil. Prior to year 5, there is a huge roster bonus he'll never see, plus insane backloaded $$ beyond.

All these large contracts are drawn up like that. Remember Bledsoe back in 2001 with the Pats ? 10 years - 102 Mil. It makes good headlines but the language of the contract always shows the contract is usually a fraction of the actual figure.
Funny how you and I understand that concept but no one else can grasp it. Anyone really think Walker is going to see all $25 million of his contract or even five years in Buffalo? Same for Kelsay.