PDA

View Full Version : What I like about our FO!

alohabillsfan
06-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Ok I was looking back at some pre-draft threads and here is what I like....

1) Traded Mcgahee for 3 picks... Was not going to resign with Buffalo period, plus he really did not fit the offense. We now have the RB's for the future.

2) Traded Spikes.. Again, really did not want to remain in Buffalo, aging and injured.

3) Lost Fletch to FA... Again aging LB that a team on the Brink of being a contender would be nice, unfortunately he went to Wash. and that won't happen.

4) Lost Clements to FA. SF overpaid but was a need for them and may pay dividends with a playoff run.

So we entered the draft "needing" a RB, LB, and CB

We got a possible "marqee" RB in Lynch who "fits" the style of RB we need for our Offense!

We got a LB that is a blue collar guy who can play MLB or OLB, I truley believe before the game 8 of the season Fletch will not be missed!

The only position that was not addessed was CB, which I think we all thought was going to be Hughes when we picked in the 3rd round.

The bottom line is we are "building" a team that WILL contend if not in 2007 than it will in 2008. We have a young QB, OL, #1 WR and RB's!

We have no significant FA's next year and with our cash to the cap philosphy we can retain our young stars (JP/Lee) before they hit the market.

justasportsfan
06-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Incoming!!!

:movie:

M
06-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Incoming!!!

:movie:

Haha. You beat me to it.

SquishDaFish
06-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Great posting Aloha. But man the Neg birds are comin

patmoran2006
06-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Ok I was looking back at some pre-draft threads and here is what I like....

1) Traded Mcgahee for 3 picks... Was not going to resign with Buffalo period, plus he really did not fit the offense. We now have the RB's for the future.
Absolutely correct on this one. Agree 100%

2) Traded Spikes.. Again, really did not want to remain in Buffalo, aging and injured.
Wrong move. They got horrible value in return, didn't need to save the cap room either. He should've stayed and went to cap. If he's healthy he's a solid starter and Ellison is great depth. If he's still not right you cut him and save the money.. The risk was worth the crap 6th rounder they'll end up for him.

3) Lost Fletch to FA... Again aging LB that a team on the Brink of being a contender would be nice, unfortunately he went to Wash. and that won't happen.
On the fence here. You have to start over sometime and POZ may be the guy to start over with. This is clearly a short term downgrade however, so being a good move depends on if you're trying to win NOW, clearly that's not the Bills priority, so whatever.

4) Lost Clements to FA. SF overpaid but was a need for them and may pay dividends with a playoff run.
Great player, but not worth the money to Buffalo. Can't argue about losing him. So good move now.. HOWEVER, tagging him and not trading him last year, KNOWING he was gone after the year on a team that wasnt close to contending was one of the dumbest 10 moves in the history of this franchise.. EVER!

So we entered the draft "needing" a RB, LB, and CB

We got a possible "marqee" RB in Lynch who "fits" the style of RB we need for our Offense!
Absolutely great pick, and so was Wright.

We got a LB that is a blue collar guy who can play MLB or OLB, I truley believe before the game 8 of the season Fletch will not be missed!
you're high to think he'll be better than Fletch by game 8, which is what you're insinuating. But it was probably a good move to move up and get him if that's who they liked.

The only position that was not addessed was CB, which I think we all thought was going to be Hughes when we picked in the 3rd round.
They should've drafted Hughes unless they were plotting a move to get a good, experienced corner. I'm hoping that move wasn't Jason Webster.

The bottom line is we are "building" a team that WILL contend if not in 2007 than it will in 2008. We have a young QB, OL, #1 WR and RB's!
Realistically, forget about 2007.. Only a fool thinks that this team RIGHT NOW can compete with NE, Indy and SD- let alone the Jets, Denver and even Cinci when it comes to overall talent. They're far too young, inexperienced and unproven to contend this year.. MAYBE next year. Pretty sad considering it's f'n JUNE and we're talking about next year.. again.. COnsidering we won 7 games last year with a **** load of cap room, there is NO excuse to not contend, but whatever.

We have no significant FA's next year and with our cash to the cap philosphy we can retain our young stars (JP/Lee) before they hit the market.
what the hell does that mean? Cash to cap will HELP up retain our own? Is that what you're implying? Guess what, if Evans is our own guy or another team's FA, its still gonna cost us a boatload to extend him... Cash to cap goes the same for resigning our own guys or another team's FA. If we extend any of our prime players now, its going to put a SERIOUS dent in next year's cap.. Thank you Mr Wilson and your brilliant front office in advance, for bull**** cash to caponomics for next year.

Mr. Miyagi
06-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Wrong move. They got horrible value in return, didn't need to save the cap room either. He should've stayed and went to cap. If he's healthy he's a solid starter and Ellison is great depth. If he's still not right you cut him and save the money.. The risk was worth the crap 6th rounder they'll end up for him.

Spikes was due over $7 million. Cutting him does not save us any money. There would've been dead cap. But now we traded away his contract so we owe nothing.

patmoran2006
06-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Spikes was due over $7 million. Cutting him does not save us any money. There would've been dead cap. But now we traded away his contract so we owe nothing.
Huh?

Cutting him does save money.. His salary for 2007 was gone.
What wasn't saved was any signing bonus money, which we eat anyway when we made the trade.

Cutting him or trading him is the same thing. We eat any bonuses, and save the 2007 salary.

What it boils down to is instead of cutting him we traded him for a 6th rounder.. Money saved is the same. I dont like the move, because his ability was worth the risk of not having a 6th rounder if he's healthy again.

justasportsfan
06-07-2007, 02:28 PM

BURN!!!

patmoran2006
06-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I love how people "Thank" a post that's 10000% inaccurate.

Homerism at its finest.

Mad Bomber
06-07-2007, 02:33 PM

Homerism at its finest.
Arrogance at its finest.

BILLSROCK1212
06-07-2007, 11:54 PM
most realistic post i have seen all year

mikemac2001
06-08-2007, 12:36 AM

Homerism at its finest.

This is best post ever pat, it is the most accurate to i think this should be saved at the top of the page just so everyone can read it always...BC we are going to win the SB and you will still be upset about something.

BillsFever21
06-08-2007, 01:09 AM
The thing that some fail to realize is that we already had many holes that needed filled. By creating 4 more holes and having to replace them in the draft you are no further ahead. You replace them 4 holes that you just created with players that isn't as good now or may not be as good next year or the year after either.

Instead of strengthing the team through the draft like most clubs that weekend will all you are doing is replacing needs that you didn't already have instead of filling the existent needs you had going into the offseason.

When you are always using the draft to replace holes that you created during the offseason you never catch up to replace the holes that you already had and it makes it where you really never complete the team. You are always filling holes every offseason that you didn't need to if you would have kept the players that you already had that was being productive.

Every year there will be good and important players that will become FA's and when you rarely sign any of them because of not wanting to even spend to the cap that every other team does then you are always creating unneeded holes with most times lesser talent and everytime with inexperienced talent.

You can't build a team that will make a run for the SB let alone win the SB doing this. Good teams that stick around for a while keep the team together and are continuosly building their team up and get better from good draft choices. When you are always getting rid of talent with most of the sole reason being you don't want to spend the money then the team will never get to that level.