PDA

View Full Version : Fairchild: JP "humble".....will "turn out well"

Coach Sal
06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
(WGR 550) - Bills offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild had some glowing words for J.P. Losman, and the trust the coaching staff has for the quarterback.

"He works hard. He's a humble guy," Fairchild said of his quarterback in Friday morning appearance on the Howard Simon Show. "He doesn't take anything for granted. As long as he keeps doing that, he's got a lot of God-given ability and the right thing's gonna happen. We gotta surround him with some people and we're doing a better job with that. I think this thing's going to turn out well."

Fairchild told the show that a trust grew with Losman in 2006, and that he expects the play book to open up more in 2007.

"We held the reigns back on him in some of the third down stuff and in the red zone," he said. "I wasn't sure how I trusted him how I wanted to trust him last year. He kept getting better and better, but we're a long way from done. This is a work in progress. I really like his chances to be a very good quarterback."

Fairchild said Losman was given a rough ride last season.

"I think the worst thing you can do with any position, especially quarterback, is hand it to someone," he said. "We were not easy on him by any means. He showed some toughness, and when it was all said and done he was obviously our best choice. Now that he's established himself as a starter in the league, we'll see how far he can go."

Much more, including comments on Lynch, Royal, Everett, and the red zone:

http://www.wgr550.com/fullstory.php?id=2438

justasportsfan
06-08-2007, 03:24 PM
sweet. Getting benched by MM and letting him compete for the job is what humbled him. He can't brag about anything until he's got the Lombardi in his hands.

Mad Bomber
06-08-2007, 03:27 PM
The thing I'm looking for in JP this year is touch on the short passes, and the ability to hit receivers in stride. That was Jim Kelly's strong point...he hit receivers in stride to give them the ability to make yards AFTER the catch. If JP can hit short passes and screens in stride, we could have an awesome passing game this year.

justasportsfan
06-08-2007, 03:28 PM
"Robert Royal's a much better receiver than he showed last year, and a lot of that's back on me because I felt we need him to help in other areas. ."
Aha! That's what I've been saying.

If our OL holds, we won't need him to block anymore and just concentrate on getting better at getting open and catching the ball.

Mad Bomber
06-08-2007, 03:29 PM
If our OL holds, we won't need him to block anymore and just concentrate on getting better at getting open and catching the ball.
...Hopefully with both feet in bounds. :up:

Philagape
06-08-2007, 03:31 PM
JP is the difference between rebuilding and contending this year.

Mad Bomber
06-08-2007, 03:34 PM
JP is the difference between rebuilding and contending this year.
Yep. we are going to need a good offense. Our O SUCKED last year (at least for the first half of the season).

justasportsfan
06-08-2007, 03:39 PM
he'll get there.

Gates wouldn't be as good as he is if he had to help block for an OL who's best player was an undrafted converted TE.

mayotm
06-08-2007, 05:29 PM
it's especially nice to hear these things from Fairchild. He seems like a straight-shooter. He doesn't seem to sugar-coat things or dish out meaningless compliments.

Meathead
06-08-2007, 05:43 PM
just like dick. and marv

gil
06-08-2007, 07:36 PM
good lord, let JP have a great year, amen.

North_Coast
06-08-2007, 08:52 PM

Dragging his feet after he catches the ball is something that can be learned (WRs practice it from day 1 in college), especially by a TE who's been primarily a blocker in his career. I bet Royal doesn't make that mistake ever again (he might not get them down in time on a particular pass, but he won't lose a pass or TD because he doesn't drag those toes!).

THE END OF ALL DAYS
06-08-2007, 09:17 PM
The thing I'm looking for in JP this year is touch on the short passes, and the ability to hit receivers in stride. That was Jim Kelly's strong point...he hit receivers in stride to give them the ability to make yards AFTER the catch. If JP can hit short passes and screens in stride, we could have an awesome passing game this year.

AHHH.. A screen pass.. oh the memory of it is sweet.. we have not seen a buffalo team able to execute a screen pass in years.. the Pats kill people with it and we fall all over our feet with it.. it sure will be nice to see our team learn how to do one of the most fundamental plays in football again! Lookin' forward to it!