X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alohabillsfan
    • Sep 2003

Points to ponder....

1) We were the only team to have 4 defensive linemen in the top 30 in tackles.
    (Kelsay lead the D-line)

2) We had 3 DE's in the top 50 in sacks.

Now I did not go back and watch all the games so I cannot tell you where these tackles had taken place but I will assume most of them were not 8-10 yards down field.

The reason I bring this up is, I think the D-line (not Anderson) is good enough, the question remains is, was the problem Fletch/Spikes? Was it Whitner?

I may have to pick a game or 2 and watch those 3 players?

Zoners, Thoughts?
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

Re: Points to ponder....

I've said all along that the DT's filled their gaps just like the scheme calls for... It was the LB's (Spikes and Fletcher and no Crowell) that failed to fill their gaps.

As for our DE's... GREAT against the pass but lacking in run D. I actually look for Hargrove to have a nice year when he fills in for Schobel who drops back to OLB in run situations.

Comment

• djjimkelly
      • Apr 2003

ive been saying it for a few years fletcher is a persuit LB and not a hole plugger. unlike alot on the board i dont think fletcher will be missed and will be forgotten once some of our LBs start playing downhill like i think LBs need to play in this league!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
        (Kelsay lead the D-line)

Now I did not go back and watch all the games so I cannot tell you where these tackles had taken place but I will assume most of them were not 8-10 yards down field.

The reason I bring this up is, I think the D-line (not Anderson) is good enough, the question remains is, was the problem Fletch/Spikes? Was it Whitner?

Zoners, Thoughts?
        A lot of ways to go with this analysis.

How did our LBs rank relatively to other LB-ing corps in this way?

Where were those tackles made? I know that McCargo's were all well past the line of scrimmage for example. Tripplett's surely weren't made in the offensive backfield of near the LoS.

What does this say for our LBs if the line was making tackles in our defensive backfield?

How does one reconcile this with the fact that we ranked 28th in rushing yardage D and 29th in yards-per-carry allowed?

Does that seem odd to your for a team that routinely dropped it's DEs into coverage thereby allowing them to make tackles in the secondary range of the defensive backfield?

Sometimes what may seem to be a good thing is really not.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
          (Kelsay lead the D-line)

Zoners, Thoughts?
          1) When they can pin their ears back and rush the QB they are very good, especially Schobel. Denney's sack total is a tad misleading as half of it came in week two at Miami. Kelsay has a habit of having good games against bad teams and totally being shut down against good tackles. Schobel is a great pass rusher I dont care who is lining up against him.. HE always "gets his"

2) THey are not strong against the run. I dont have the numbers with me, but I know for a fact it was Fletcher who led the teams in tackles behind the line, and that's only 5. That's not good.

Overall, the DE's here are above average on the pass rush and below average vs the run. AS a unit, I wouldnt call them a strength of the team, but it's far from the biggest weakness.

Perhaps improved DT play will make it easier for our DE's to be more effective against the run, but unless McCargo comes back and is really productive and/or Darwin Walker is signed AND also plays well, that aint happening. OUr DT's as a unit are a big-time sore spot on this team and will continue to be until our FO realizes that its time for personnel changes.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

Our D was on the field quite a bit which means many of those stats are padded. Tackle stats are always higher on teams whose D spend more time on the field.

Our D-Line is weak, we do not dominate, our QB pressures were mostly coverage sacks and opposing offenses seem to be able to run at will against us...

I do not have a tremendous amount of confidence in our D-Line. I hope for some improvement since the DL is basically the same as last year with a couple of new faces, but the DL was anythign but a success story last season.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
              • Aug 2005

I honestly think our DL will be fine if we can get Walker signed. I think Kyle Williams was an absolute steal in the draft. He was playing really well towards the end of the season, always around the ball when there was a running play. If McCargo can come back and stay healthy, and we get Walker signed then I think the DL could even become a strength for us this year. I am most worried about our LB spot. If we have one injury at LB we are pretty screwed.
              SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                Denney's sack total is a tad misleading as half of it came in week two at Miami.
                Give him a 100,000 bonus just for the extra effort against the fish.

Or a new Corvette.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                  A lot of ways to go with this analysis.

How did our LBs rank relatively to other LB-ing corps in this way? You look it up!

Where were those tackles made? I know that McCargo's were all well past the line of scrimmage for example. Tripplett's surely weren't made in the offensive backfield of near the LoS. Do you really think tripplett's tackles where down field?

What does this say for our LBs if the line was making tackles in our defensive backfield? What team do you watch?,

How does one reconcile this with the fact that we ranked 28th in rushing yardage D and 29th in yards-per-carry allowed?

Does that seem odd to your for a team that routinely dropped it's DEs into coverage thereby allowing them to make tackles in the secondary range of the defensive backfield? We routinely drop DE's? I don't agree with that statement! Watch the games...
                  Sometimes what may seem to be a good thing is really not.
                  Or the coaching staff recognized the weakness of this defense and has since uloaded them?

Comment

• juice
                    • Aug 2003

OK

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Luisito23
                      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by djjimkelly
                      I dont think fletcher will be missed

He will be missed...not so much because of his play, but because of his leadership which is desperately needed in such a young squad as ours, same goes with TKO....Let's just hope we find another leader who can fire up this team, and this city......

GO BILLS!!!!!!
                      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• djjimkelly
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Luisito23
                        He will be missed...not so much because of his play, but because of his leadership which is desperately needed in such a young squad as ours, same goes with TKO....Let's just hope we find another leader who can fire up this team, and this city......

GO BILLS!!!!!!
                        look i agree we need someone to step up and be a leader but i find it hard to say a guy who never led this D and team into playoffs will be sorely missed is a stretch. fletcher is what he was ... a guy who dragged down runners 4-5 yards into their runs and he liked to talk to set example but apparently it wasnt enough

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

I feel that if any team goes ahead enough their opponent becomes predictable in the play calling dept. The Bills D can gain an advantage this season by the offense staying on the field and scoring more. I remember dozens of times last season where if we just could of gotten a little more, we play on and potentially score more.

A few field goals here or there seem insignificant but when you add a TD and you made a few field goals, you go multiple scores ahead and force your opponents to go more pass.

I plan on us playing ahead more this season and forcing teams to chase. The D will get it's QB shots and INT's to force even more obvious play calls. We won't win every game but mark my words we will leave all of our opponents with marks of how it went on their D. Big line and young pounding backs will dampen any success they have against us.

Teams used to despise playing the Bills because they knew they we're in for a tough day and we usually had a good chance to win, those days are coming back soon.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Just to add to some other's comments...

Our defense was on the field for more plays than just about every other defense in the league. More plays against, more tackles to be made, and a major contributing factor to that was the pathetic performance of the offense.

Too many three-and-outs in the first three quarters and teams get tired.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                              Our D was on the field quite a bit which means many of those stats are padded. Tackle stats are always higher on teams whose D spend more time on the field.

Our D-Line is weak, we do not dominate, our QB pressures were mostly coverage sacks and opposing offenses seem to be able to run at will against us...

I do not have a tremendous amount of confidence in our D-Line. I hope for some improvement since the DL is basically the same as last year with a couple of new faces, but the DL was anythign but a success story last season.
                              I recommend re-watching the games. Larry Tripplett is a better player than people think around here.

Tim Anderson and Jason Jefferson are both total liabilities out there so if they are not on the field we will be better off.

Darwin Walker, Kyle Williams, Larry Tripplett, and John McCargo have every chance of being an above average DL if everyone stays healthy and gets signed.

Linebacker is a joke. Our depth chart is full of undrafted players, except for Coy Wire (who we wasted a 3rd rounder on). You have to expect one our starters to tweak something and be out for a game here or there (this is normal) and we'll be stuck with Wire, Stamer, Haggan, Manning or DiGorgio. This should scare everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X