I've noticed a past trend redeveloping, ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've noticed a past trend redeveloping, ...

During the Donadope era a number patterns and trends developed. One of those involved the fans. The impetus for this thread is a passing comment on another thread as to a prediction that I had made regarding our rushing defense for this upcoming fall. While that particular prediction will not be belabored, the greater two overlaying backdrops will be.

First, there's been a good amount of actual football discussion here, more so than in the somewhat recent past. I have no idea why now more than before, but with minimal "noise" some good to-and-fro regarding football, interestingly, has occurred.

I have noticed that whether it be here, via e-mail, in person, or whereever, that a certain subset of fans seem to prefer to merely criticize rather than put up parallel predictions of their own. Obviously it's much easier to never ante up one's own predictions and then throw proverbial rocks at those that did later on. Or perhaps those fans don't want to make such predictions because in the process of making them, or documenting them, it forces them to awaken somewhat from their "world of bliss" amidst the ignoring of the data that would typically go into formulating such predictions. Who knows, who cares, and certainly no disrespect to anyone intended.

However, it would perhaps be nice if those taking issue with the more critical fans on predictions for the team's performances, would post predictions of their own. Otherwise, in my mind at least, it disqualifies them from criticizing others and how perhaps they were marginally of on a handful of predictions amongst a bigger picture of near perfect accuracy otherwise.

So want respect in that way? Post your own predictions. Then at season's end, credibilities can be evaluated in that way. Mine go up days prior to the season and in avid detail. Then at the end of the season I always post a revisit piece contrasting reality with predictions in that way. Anyone is welcome to join me and have their name associated with their own predictions for the world to see, literally.

Secondly, and this is a direct correlation, is evident in the way fans treated the last administration. At least MB fans.

During that period I took much heat up front for my criticism of the managerial styles and methods, as well as signings and acquisitions of certain players brought on and how and why. Players such as Bledsoe, Milloy, Vincent, Posey, a slew of OL-men swung through our revolving door as if it were a dance of some sort, coaches such as Gilbride, et al.

At that time my criticisms were laid out relatively matter-of-factly with many MB fans lambasting me for them insisting that those same people knew better than I did. In the end I could not have planned the accuracy of those assessments any better for the most part, both the player ones as well as the strategic ones. What was interesting, and this is the point, is that when they did come to pass, many of the same fans that criticized me (then in a vast minority originally), began to become Donadope's biggest nightmare. Gilbride and other's too.

Those leading this team went from having the ultimate support of those fans with cheers of them "being experts" and "knowing more than anyone that didn't coach or manage football" to being "morons," "losers," "incompetents," and many worse things even that cannot be printed.

This regime for the Bills is shaping up in the same way. While I do not expect that subset of fans to acquiesce to that, and understandably so, which isn't the point anyway, it is merely recognized for what it is.

However, it is inconsistent to me that beginning after this season, and most certainly after next season when the bigger picture of the same things happening here as occurred under the Donadope era actually become much more obvious, as I see it those that supported them and only facilitated it all have no right to criticize at that point. They gave their blessing to methodologies that had failure stamped on them even before the first steps were taken, again, a point in disagreement, as acknowledged.

That's exactly what happened during the Donadope era. Where the team is now is a more dire situation. But back then I recall, after things began falling apart, taking a position that things were not beyond salvage, and that with a new good GM and HC things could in fact be turned around rather quickly. Those fans were equally ballistic in their criticisms then as they were supportive of them at the onset. A Bipolar disorder thing of sorts. Feast or famine. At that point I attempted to be a voice of reason of sorts in a "the sky's not falling" sort of way as many fans were depicting ready to burn down the offices at OBD.

Bottom line:

If you're going to support this nonsense that the Bills are now engaged in, and again, understand that you don't think it's nonsense at this point and recognize that, but then at least carry through with consistency when the wheels come off the cart and we do not become the team that those that you support promised. At that point how about not going ballistic over results handed you by those that acted with your full faith and blessings. That's all.

After all, when you support people being put in place whose performances and results matchup with those same peoples' backgrounds, experiences, inexperiences, patterns, trends, and other indicators that speak contrary to their own stated words, then it is belittling to yourself because in doing so you impugn your own credibility.

On the other hand, when they bring us a winner and a playoff competitive team that doesn't merely make the playoffs due to a litany of walking wounded coming to the Ralph prior to getting dusted in the Wild Card round, then your support will be justified. Until then however, that was completely not the case under the Donadope era.

Anyway, I've always found it both hypocritical as well as perplexing, to have those that never put their own predictions up themselves to criticize others and then expect respect and credibility as they support those perpetuating malady on the way in but then slam them on the way out while putting a boot print on their derriers after ushering them in with open arms. It happens all the time in sports and politics. Credibility does not rest however with those that ignore history and a wealth of background information when supporting leaders in that way, but then get upset when those same histories and background information play out as is logical, and quite frankly, more expected than not expected by those applying at least a rudimentary probability analysis.

In essence, if the Ivy League Dynamic Duo era plays out poorly, as I for one have predicted so soon, among others, then those supporting this really have no room to lament over the final outcome and product. You will have fully supported it blindly. How then is criticism warranted or justifiable?

Bad for us is that unlike at the end of Donadope's tenure, we are not merely a few tweaks away from being halfway decent anymore. We're at least two seasons and two extremely well-managed offseasons away from playoff competitiveness. By then at least one of our few current impact players will no longer be an impact player, Aaron Schobel, and one or two others may not be with the team due to impending contract issues. (Evans and Peters)

FWIW
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: I've noticed a past trend redeveloping, ...

I've noticed a trend here, too. It's called premature evaluation.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      I've noticed a trend here, too. It's called premature evaluation.
      You mean you actually read the entire post?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
        No, just the highlights. Which didn't take too long.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
          During the Donadope era a number patterns and trends developed. One of those involved the fans. The impetus for this thread is a passing comment on another thread as to a prediction that I had made regarding our rushing defense for this upcoming fall. While that particular prediction will not be belabored, the greater two overlaying backdrops will be.

First, there's been a good amount of actual football discussion here, more so than in the somewhat recent past. I have no idea why now more than before, but with minimal "noise" some good to-and-fro regarding football, interestingly, has occurred.

I have noticed that whether it be here, via e-mail, in person, or whereever, that a certain subset of fans seem to prefer to merely criticize rather than put up parallel predictions of their own. Obviously it's much easier to never ante up one's own predictions and then throw proverbial rocks at those that did later on. Or perhaps those fans don't want to make such predictions because in the process of making them, or documenting them, it forces them to awaken somewhat from their "world of bliss" amidst the ignoring of the data that would typically go into formulating such predictions. Who knows, who cares, and certainly no disrespect to anyone intended.

However, it would perhaps be nice if those taking issue with the more critical fans on predictions for the team's performances, would post predictions of their own. Otherwise, in my mind at least, it disqualifies them from criticizing others and how perhaps they were marginally of on a handful of predictions amongst a bigger picture of near perfect accuracy otherwise.

So want respect in that way? Post your own predictions. Then at season's end, credibilities can be evaluated in that way. Mine go up days prior to the season and in avid detail. Then at the end of the season I always post a revisit piece contrasting reality with predictions in that way. Anyone is welcome to join me and have their name associated with their own predictions for the world to see, literally.

Secondly, and this is a direct correlation, is evident in the way fans treated the last administration. At least MB fans.

During that period I took much heat up front for my criticism of the managerial styles and methods, as well as signings and acquisitions of certain players brought on and how and why. Players such as Bledsoe, Milloy, Vincent, Posey, a slew of OL-men swung through our revolving door as if it were a dance of some sort, coaches such as Gilbride, et al.

At that time my criticisms were laid out relatively matter-of-factly with many MB fans lambasting me for them insisting that those same people knew better than I did. In the end I could not have planned the accuracy of those assessments any better for the most part, both the player ones as well as the strategic ones. What was interesting, and this is the point, is that when they did come to pass, many of the same fans that criticized me (then in a vast minority originally), began to become Donadope's biggest nightmare. Gilbride and other's too.

Those leading this team went from having the ultimate support of those fans with cheers of them "being experts" and "knowing more than anyone that didn't coach or manage football" to being "morons," "losers," "incompetents," and many worse things even that cannot be printed.

This regime for the Bills is shaping up in the same way. While I do not expect that subset of fans to acquiesce to that, and understandably so, which isn't the point anyway, it is merely recognized for what it is.

However, it is inconsistent to me that beginning after this season, and most certainly after next season when the bigger picture of the same things happening here as occurred under the Donadope era actually become much more obvious, as I see it those that supported them and only facilitated it all have no right to criticize at that point. They gave their blessing to methodologies that had failure stamped on them even before the first steps were taken, again, a point in disagreement, as acknowledged.

That's exactly what happened during the Donadope era. Where the team is now is a more dire situation. But back then I recall, after things began falling apart, taking a position that things were not beyond salvage, and that with a new good GM and HC things could in fact be turned around rather quickly. Those fans were equally ballistic in their criticisms then as they were supportive of them at the onset. A Bipolar disorder thing of sorts. Feast or famine. At that point I attempted to be a voice of reason of sorts in a "the sky's not falling" sort of way as many fans were depicting ready to burn down the offices at OBD.

Bottom line:

If you're going to support this nonsense that the Bills are now engaged in, and again, understand that you don't think it's nonsense at this point and recognize that, but then at least carry through with consistency when the wheels come off the cart and we do not become the team that those that you support promised. At that point how about not going ballistic over results handed you by those that acted with your full faith and blessings. That's all.

After all, when you support people being put in place whose performances and results matchup with those same peoples' backgrounds, experiences, inexperiences, patterns, trends, and other indicators that speak contrary to their own stated words, then it is belittling to yourself because in doing so you impugn your own credibility.

On the other hand, when they bring us a winner and a playoff competitive team that doesn't merely make the playoffs due to a litany of walking wounded coming to the Ralph prior to getting dusted in the Wild Card round, then your support will be justified. Until then however, that was completely not the case under the Donadope era.

Anyway, I've always found it both hypocritical as well as perplexing, to have those that never put their own predictions up themselves to criticize others and then expect respect and credibility as they support those perpetuating malady on the way in but then slam them on the way out while putting a boot print on their derriers after ushering them in with open arms. It happens all the time in sports and politics. Credibility does not rest however with those that ignore history and a wealth of background information when supporting leaders in that way, but then get upset when those same histories and background information play out as is logical, and quite frankly, more expected than not expected by those applying at least a rudimentary probability analysis.

In essence, if the Ivy League Dynamic Duo era plays out poorly, as I for one have predicted so soon, among others, then those supporting this really have no room to lament over the final outcome and product. You will have fully supported it blindly. How then is criticism warranted or justifiable?

Bad for us is that unlike at the end of Donadope's tenure, we are not merely a few tweaks away from being halfway decent anymore. We're at least two seasons and two extremely well-managed offseasons away from playoff competitiveness. By then at least one of our few current impact players will no longer be an impact player, Aaron Schobel, and one or two others may not be with the team due to impending contract issues. (Evans and Peters)

FWIW
          My prediction is 10-6 and I stand by it!

Comment

I suppose it's better than going to task and trying, and trying, and trying but never being able to satisfy, eh JR?

Prematurely evaluating? LOL It's also called prognosticating or making predictions.

Does that mean that you're willing to put up your own predictions for this season? Or are you merely going to lay low hurling criticisms of those that do?

Why are so many that support this team's management so incredibly resistent and hesitant to post their own predictions?

If you think we're going to be a top-10 rushing offense this year b/c of Lynch, Dockery, and Walker, then by all means, speak up when given the opp. Send me your predictions. BE PROUD of them!

I can only assume that those that talk the loudest regarding cutting this crew the benefit of the doubt and/or expecting something along the lines of solid success this fall really don't believe what they are hoping for.

What else are people to make of it?

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
              I'm getting tickets to Arizona!

You know, to see the Grand Canyon!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

I predict 10-6 I said....

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                  Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

I suppose it's better than going to task and trying, and trying, and trying but never being able to satisfy, eh JR?

Prematurely evaluating? LOL It's also called prognosticating or making predictions.

Does that mean that you're willing to put up your own predictions for this season? Or are you merely going to lay low hurling criticisms of those that do?

Why are so many that support this team's management so incredibly resistent and hesitant to post their own predictions?

If you think we're going to be a top-10 rushing offense this year b/c of Lynch, Dockery, and Walker, then by all means, speak up when given the opp. Send me your predictions. BE PROUD of them!

I can only assume that those that talk the loudest regarding cutting this crew the benefit of the doubt and/or expecting something along the lines of solid success this fall really don't believe what they are hoping for.

What else are people to make of it?
                  In 10 words or less, what's your season record prediction?

Mine is 10-6, agreeing with Thurm.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

In 10 words or less, what's your season record prediction?

Mine is 10-6, agreeing with Thurm.

Comment

How about the rankings of our rushing D Thurm?

Pass D?

Pass O? TDs, YPA, TDs

Predictions for Lynch?

Rush O? YPC, TDs, Yards ranking

Etc., etc., etc.

Teams can win 10 games due to a variety of reasons. Jauron's Bears won 13 back in '01 pretty much all against mediocre and poor teams prior to having his team get the floor mopped with them vs. Philly, not nearly the strongest team, in the playoffs.

It's too early for detailed predictions there, but I'll whip up a category sheet for anyone wishing to post theirs as the regular season nears. At that point in time we'll see who has the onions to ante up from those reaching the most decibels on supporting this caste of management and coaches.

Comment

Perfect.

Comment

• The King
                          Without me it's just Awe so
                          • Jun 2004

I think what you're summing up is todays NFL fan. Fans today like flashy high profile players and if the team isn't winning fans want teams to go out and get that big name big contract guy to fill the hole. Fans are not patient enough to believe in chemistry anymore, its more about putting band-aids on the problem. So far I dont think Marv has done that it seems as if he is rebuilding a young team and plugging in role players it could payoff.... if we are patient enough to let him run his course.
                          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                          It was all
                          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

How about the rankings of our rushing D Thurm?

Pass D?

Pass O? TDs, YPA, TDs

Predictions for Lynch?

Rush O? YPC, TDs, Yards ranking

Etc., etc., etc.

Teams can win 10 games due to a variety of reasons. Jauron's Bears won 13 back in '01 pretty much all against mediocre and poor teams prior to having his team get the floor mopped with them vs. Philly, not nearly the strongest team, in the playoffs.

It's too early for detailed predictions there, but I'll whip up a category sheet for anyone wishing to post theirs as the regular season nears. At that point in time we'll see who has the onions to ante up from those reaching the most decibels on supporting this caste of management and coaches.
                            Pass D? 23rd ranked

Pass O? 9th 26TDs, ?YPA, 26 I said TDs

Predictions for Lynch? Offensive rookie of the year. 1100 yards 9 tds, 48 rec 458 yards 3 tds.

Rush O 11th? YPC 3.9, 15TDs, 1600 Yards ranking

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                              Roways rooking ahread!
                              • Sep 2005

I predict 10-6 I said....
                              Will 10-6 get us a playoff spot??

I feel we are 11-5 or better.

Comment

Working...
                              X