PDA

View Full Version : Minicamp Notes: Day 1

madness
06-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Minicamp Notes: Day 1

The Bills mandatory minicamp picked up right where the three previous weeks of OTA workouts left off as the players pressed forward with their preparations for training camp and the 2007 season.
"It was full go," said J.P. Losman. "We've been full go for three weeks, but today was the first day where we didn't have any installation. We got to run the same plays over and we were sharp on our game. We've got to do that for two more days."
Walker absent, Mayle back
The only absentee at the mandatory minicamp was defensive tackle Darwin Walker. Bills GM Marv Levy commented on the Walker situation (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4851) Monday. ...

Lynch getting more first team reps
Bills top pick Marshawn Lynch continues to accumulate reps with the first team offense. After Anthony Thomas was given his handful of plays first, Lynch was in right after him getting carries during team work.
"We're doing a lot of the same things that I did at Cal with coach Tedford," said Lynch. "Lining me up at receiver, making catches out of the backfield and getting carries. I feel good about all that I'm being asked to do."...

Right cornerback update
Kiwaukee Thomas lined up at right cornerback with the first unit during the walk through portion of practice, but when team work began Jason Webster got most of the first team reps at the position. Thomas got reps with the second unit, while Ashton Youboty was sprinkled in with the ones and the twos on that side of the formation.
11-on-11
Early on the offense focused on the ground game with Thomas getting three carries in the first series. When Losman went to the air Lee Evans, not surprisingly, was his most popular target. Evans caught four of Losman's first seven passes.
There were a couple of times when Losman hung onto the ball longer than normal and with the pass rush exhibited by the defense a couple of the plays may have resulted in sacks if it were live football.
Roscoe Parrish and Josh Reed also made their share of plays in the passing game. Parrish caught a deep ball from Craig Nall that found its way between Kiwaukee Thomas and safety George Wilson. He also caught a pass from Nall that was initially tipped by defensive end Eric Powell.
Losman was working the hard count well on Monday. He drew a couple of defensive linemen offsides with his cadence.
Defensively there were a couple of stuffed runs with Coy Wire and Anthony Hargrove making some good reads. John DiGiorgio effectively flew to the football on a pass over the middle to Shaud Williams. He arrived so quickly that had it been live football there would have been a big time collision. The defense also had what would have been a tackle for loss on another run play.
7-on-7
Peerless Price and Dwayne Wright were among the more frequent targets involved in the passing game during this period of team work. The tight ends were more involved during this segment as Brad Cieslak, Kevin Everett, Matt Murphy and Derek Schouman all had receptions.
Jason Webster turned in the most impressive defensive play breaking up a pass intended for Evans on a deep crossing pattern.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4852

madness
06-11-2007, 03:34 PM
McCargo worked with teammate Tim Anderson on some body positioning work and did some pass rush practice jogging half speed at a line of tackling dummies with the other defensive linemen.

McCargo is done for! :doh:

Mitchy moo
06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
McCargo worked with teammate Tim Anderson on some body positioning work and did some pass rush practice jogging half speed at a line of tackling dummies with the other defensive linemen.

McCargo is done for! :doh:

oh no.

justasportsfan
06-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Webster simply keeps making me ask Hughes who?

Tatonka
06-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Digorgio seems to be getting praise all the time. it would be nice to see him keep developing. he was a good linebacker at a small school in college but he could become a key back up.

dolphan117
06-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Is Kiwaukee Thomas the same guy that was in Miami last year? The name seems to ring a bell.

Mitchy moo
06-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Is Kiwaukee Thomas the same guy that was in Miami last year? The name seems to ring a bell.

ummm, no.

B-DON
06-11-2007, 04:33 PM

No he is just some scrub that i pray will not be starting

madness
06-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Bills Running Back Marshawn Lynch<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
6/11/07<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
On the readiness to go as training camp approaches
I’m getting there. I wouldn’t say I’m quite there yet. I still have a few days of minicamp to get fine tuned. With the guys back there, the older running backs, have been bringing me along and helping me out a lot. When that time comes I’m pretty sure I’ll be ready for it.
On the adjustment to the speed of the NFL <o:p></o:p>
Just for the most part, with being out there for the OTA’s, the speed after a while you feel you can get into it. When the speed picks up you pick up your speed.
On anything that is just too hard to do in the NFL<o:p></o:p>
I don’t doubt myself for nothing. If I’m asked to do it I’m going to find a way to get it done no matter what it is. From running to blocking to catching and passing. Whatever I am called to do I’m going to find a way to get it done.
On the likeability of the offensive scheme and how your talents are well-suited for it<o:p></o:p>
It’s similar to what I did over at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Cal</st1:place></st1:State> with coach (Jeff) Tedford. He lined me up out at receiver and catching balls out of the backfield so I’m quite comfortable with it.
On the impact Lynch feels he can make right away<o:p></o:p>
That’s something you really can’t tell by just being out here in shorts. It’s going to be real exciting when we get to put the pads on and mess around with the defense.
On the talented group of running back the Bills have<o:p></o:p>
From (Anthony Thomas) to Fred (<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Jackson</st1:City></st1:place>) and Shaud (Williams) and Josh and with me and (Dwayne Wright), the two new additions to the team. They call it that lightning and thunder with me and D Wright. D Wright showed me a lot of things that I wouldn’t imagine he could do like coming out of the back field running those same similar routes just as good, if not better. So it’s going to be a fight back there for that running back position.
On Buffalo being a great situation for Lynch because of the loss of Willis McGahee<o:p></o:p>
I do but also with the running backs here I felt that they were going to give me some help so I don’t feel that it’s just on me alone to come in with the number one pick with the running back leaving. It’s a whole bunch of guys back there who are willing to help and I know they’ll be looking for me to be there for them when I’m called upon.
On who will have bigger impact as a rookie, Lynch or Paul Posluszny<o:p></o:p>
I’m going to go with my man (Posluszny). I’m going to do my time on the other side of the ball. Paul’s going to hold it down as well.
On Lynch’s favorite moment so far<o:p></o:p>
Lining up in the huddle with Roscoe Parrish and Lee Evans. It’s because of the respect that I have for them. I’ve been watching them since I was growing up so that’s something big for me right now.
Is it a sign that I’m this much closer to the NFL?<o:p></o:p>
Right but I’m here now. There is no turning back.
On working with J.P. Losman<o:p></o:p>
I’ve worked with him before down at a camp so I kind of knew him a little before I got here. I knew he was a cool dude all around. He takes control out there and shows some great leadership.
On what Lynch feels is his best attribute<o:p></o:p>
My personality. I’m never going to change. Always be the same no matter good days or bad days, I’m bringing my positive attitude to the field.

madness
06-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Bills Quarterback J.P. Losman<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
On the absence of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Darwin</st1:City> <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City><o:p></o:p>
No one is really talking about it. If he is going to be here and be a part of this team we want him out here. Whatever it takes for him to get here and make our team better, that’s what we are looking for and we’ll take all the help that we can get.
On how last seasons experiences have helped Losman to prepare for this season<o:p></o:p>
Just learning how to deal with the ups and downs. I really don’t get bothered or rattled too much. My coach is on me tough, extremely tough and the guys can vouch for me on this. I don’t think anyone gets it harder then me out here. That’s what his job is - to get the most out of me with whatever it takes. If in the beginning it took a benching or it took a (quarterback) competition. Now it’s just straight hard coaching, if you’re the starter or not. That’s what his job is and that’s what their supposed to do. We’re not supposed to be friends. I am supposed to be coachable and do the things that he wants me to do and he’s suppose to coach me like he’s coaching me to be the best quarterback that he can have and that’s what we’re doing.
On being an elite quarterback in the near future<o:p></o:p>
Yeah and I felt that with the way things were going last year. You always feel that way about yourself but so does every other guy, every other quarterback in the NFL. They feel the same way. But with this internal confidence that I’m having right now I feel like it and I feel like the numbers at the end of the year will start to show those types of things. That’s just how I think about myself along with everyone else on our team they think of themselves that way as well.
On Marshawn Lynch and how he has been surprising in any way<o:p></o:p>
You don’t know what to expect. A guy gets drafted and you don’t know exactly how good he is but you hear it. Now we’ve been able to see it with our own eyes, his athleticism, his coachability, his positive attitude, his running ability. It’s good to see, it’s positive and we’re excited.

madness
06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Bills WR Roscoe Parrish<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
On being back in same offense<o:p></o:p>
Yeah, I feel more comfortable going into this year because I’ve got the offensive scheme. Last year coming in we had to learn a whole new offense. This year coming in, during the off-season I did a lot of studying on top of everything else.
On getting more of an opportunity outside instead of being only an inside wide receiver<o:p></o:p>
Wherever they put me I’m just trying to help contribute on both special teams and offense. If they want to put me outside, it does not matter to me, I just want to go out and help the offense.
On the players that are no longer on the team <o:p></o:p>
It’s the NFL so you never know what’s going to happen so you just have to come in and whatever happens, happens. You just have to control what you can control out here.
On missing Willis McGahee<o:p></o:p>
He welcomed me in when I first got here. Willis is my man, I played college ball with him but it’s a business and you never know what’s going to happen. You just have to come out and do what you have to do.
On the improvement that J.P. Losman will show this year<o:p></o:p>
Looking at his career so far in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>, he’s gotten better and better. So this year he’s on top of everything. He has an offensive line that is good and the receivers are just trying to be on the same page with J.P. and that’s the main thing. Being on the same page and having good communication.

madness
06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Bills WR Lee Evans<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
On playing in the same offense for the second season<o:p></o:p>
For us, it helps everybody. It especially helps the quarterback. He can count on us being in certain positions. For us, it’s being able to change positions. Going into the slot or going outside. It’s a lot more entertainment. We have a dynamic group of guys and anybody at anytime can make a big play. When you can shift guys around and move guys around it helps.
On Steve Fairchild flooding the field with receivers and pulling attention away from Evans<o:p></o:p>
Maybe it will. Some of the things that they are going to do with Marshawn (Lynch) coming out of the backfield will certainly take some of the attention away as well. We have a lot of options and different ways to attack defenses so they just cannot key on one person or one thing at one time. When you have a lot of options it gives you a lot better of a chance to win.
On being further ahead as the same time last year<o:p></o:p>
It’s night and day. If you miss a day you can come back in and you don’t feel like you missed a whole lot. You are familiar with the calls and what they want you to do. If somebody makes a mistake you can kind of correct it because you know what’s going on. It just helps you further along down the line. Even throughout the season you can go talk to Coach about the offense and see what is going on. Things like that. It just helps so much.
On the new formations freeing up Evans<o:p></o:p>
It’s not just about freeing me up. It’s just about moving guys around and giving the defenses different looks and keeping the defense off balance. If we have the defense off balance we definitely got the guys on this team that can make plays.
On the idea that the best from J.P Losman is yet to come<o:p></o:p>
(Last year) was just a scratch. That was his first year playing a full season as the starting quarterback. As he gets more confident, more poised and know what he’s seeing a lot quicker and a lot more confident you’ll see a lot more from him.

On what Evans has seen from Edwards so far<o:p></o:p>
He’s nice. He certainly has a compact drop. Once he gets a lot more comfortable with it he’ll be good. Right now, he looks good for what he knows and what we’re doing.

madness
06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Bills coverage on ESPN

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 3:46 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1515)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>BILLS COVERAGE ON ESPN: ESPN's John Clayton was taking in the first day of Bills minicamp Monday at One Bills Drive. His reports are to air on ESPN at 4pm and then during the 6pm Sportscenter. I overheard him saying he was impressed with the offense, so maybe some positive reviews of the Bills.
--- </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

madness
06-11-2007, 05:06 PM

Not last year but the year before he played for you guys.

Tatonka
06-11-2007, 05:57 PM
i dont know how anyone can say they are not excited about lynch. the guys attitude comes across so team oriented.. i love it.

highwireact
06-11-2007, 07:39 PM
As a lifelong Cal fan, I can tell you that Lynch is a very humble team first kind of guy. He prefers to play the game and then give the credit to his lineman, QB, FB, coach, waterboy, whoever. He is a great kid and I think you will be very happy with what he accomplishes on the field on how he carries himself off the field.

dolphan117
06-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Not last year but the year before he played for you guys.Thanks, I thought I knew him from somewhere. I think for us he was like the 6th corner or something.

Mad Bomber
06-11-2007, 08:05 PM
It might be fun watching McCargo and Anderson sandwiching TacklingDummy.

:jk: :D

madness
06-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks, I thought I knew him from somewhere. I think for us he was like the 6th corner or something.

Yeah, I remember he was a dissapointment for you guys after showing some promise in Jacksonville. He actually played very well as our nickel back last year having a career season.