PDA

View Full Version : SABRES CAN KEEP BOTH BIG UFAS

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Conventional wisdom suggests the Buffalo Sabres should have enjoyed Chris Drury and Daniel Briere while they had them because in the salary cap world, there’s no way they’ll be able to keep both of them.

“You know what conventional wisdom is, don’t you?” asked GM Darcy Regier. “It’s the wisdom of convenience.”

Both Briere and Drury are eligible for unrestricted free agency July 1 and there has been a sense in the hockey community at least one of them will have to go. Regier refutes that notion, saying the math could very well work in the Sabres’ favor.

“I don’t know exactly where that is coming from because we’re not at a tipping point,” Regier said. “We’ve never viewed it as one or the other.”

That’s not to suggest the Sabres will continue to be one big, happy family, but to concede the Sabres won’t be able to keep both is premature.

The fact is, the Sabres are quite nicely set up for next season. They have a total of 13 core players – goalie Ryan Miller, defensemen Henrik Tallinder, Brian Campbell, Toni Lydman, Dmitri Kalinin and Jaroslav Spacek and forwards Tim Connolly, Maxim Afinogenov, Jason Pominville, Ales Kotalik, Jochen Hecht, Paul Gaustad and Drew Stafford – under contract for $28.4 million.

The salary cap is expected to rise next season to somewhere between $47 million and $49 million, so for the sake of argument, let’s just assume it’s going to be $48 million. That leaves the Sabres almost $20 million, if they choose to go to the upper end of the cap, to fill out their roster. After two straight seasons of sellouts and lengthy playoff runs, the Sabres should be able to handle it.

They need a backup goalie and a couple of depth defensemen and they must re-sign restricted free agents Thomas Vanek, Derek Roy, Andrew Peters and Dan Paille and either re-sign or replace Dainius Zubrus, Teppo Numminen and Adam Mair.

Let’s say they can get a hometown discount and sign both Briere and Drury for a combined total of $12 million or $13 million. That takes them up to $41.4 million. Vanek and Roy will cost a combined $3 million, which takes you to $44.4 million. A backup goalie and Peters will cost a combined $1 million and they’ll be able to sign Paille for $800,000 on a two-way deal. That takes us to $46.2, which would mean they’d technically be able to sign Zubrus, but they wouldn’t be allowing themselves much wiggle room.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news/news.asp?idNews=24771

ct bills fan
06-11-2007, 08:06 PM
get it done Darcy. I don't think Roy and Vanek will be that cheap, plus that seems to have us not resigning Numinnen. Darcy always has valued D more than forwards.

CuseJetsFan83
06-11-2007, 08:40 PM
well after this year's playoffs and most of the season, we should value the Defensemen.... i'd gladly pick up someone like a beauchimen or a neidermayer, or someone like that to shore up some loose ends..... plus having a blueliner that can snipe always relieves the pressure off of the forwards

Nighthawk
06-12-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm starting to believe that the Sabres do need to keep both of them and then reshape the team around Drury & Briere. It can be done, but you have to be a smart GM and I'm not sure Darcy has it in him.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm starting to believe that the Sabres do need to keep both of them and then reshape the team around Drury & Briere. It can be done, but you have to be a smart GM and I'm not sure Darcy has it in him.

look at Tampa Bay they have LeCavalier$7,166,667.00 , St. Louis$6,000,000.00 and Richards$7,800,000.00. you gotta look at those #'s and ask yourself how the heck can the Lightning can afford these players.

:$: from nhlpa.com

Give Drury 7 Mil. Briere 6.5 Mil. :idunno:

Crisis
06-13-2007, 04:44 AM
look at Tampa Bay they have LeCavalier$7,166,667.00 , St. Louis$6,000,000.00 and Richards$7,800,000.00. you gotta look at those #'s and ask yourself how the heck can the Lightning can afford these players.

:$: from nhlpa.com

Give Drury 7 Mil. Briere 6.5 Mil. :idunno:

Because they have limited depth outside of the big three. We have to pay players like Pominville, Roy, Hecht, Kotalik, Vanek, Connolly, Max, etc.

Tampa has no goaltending and lacks the depth on the blueline also.

I'm not saying we couldn't afford Drury and Briere, but there is a price to pay for giving big contracts out to your "stars."