• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Dolphins Fans - Question

Any smack talk will be deleted and points issued, so spare me the headache and dont.

Anyway, What kind of offense do you invision Cam will run? What do you expect will change from last year?

Given all the weapons and success he had in SD and with a fair amount of young/promising players on offense what do you think he will do to play to the strengths of these guys? How do you think Trent Green will influence that?
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php
  • B-DON
    hi
    • Mar 2004

Re: Dolphins Fans - Question

How far can green still throw the ball? Is he going to be like Brad Johnson was last year?? He is pretty damn old

Comment

• Devin
      The Octagon
      • Apr 2003

Trent Green is certainly above the class of Brad Johnson. And while age isnt on his side I think hes a solid 1-2 year option. Trent will still hang 3500 yards over 16 games.
      http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• B-DON
        hi
        • Mar 2004

Last year everyone here in Minnesota thought Johnson could last one more year to groom jackson and he ended up playing like garbage and they had to rush jacksons progression. I could see the same thing happening in Miami this year with green playing more like his age then his former self, Miami will be forced to throw Beck in there way ahead of schedule

Comment

• feelthepain
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Mar 2005

Lets see, to start with Cam really only had three real weapons in SD. It was Brees/Rivers, LT and A.Gates. Their Oline was good obviously, but I think an Oline production is more a result of the play calling then talent. It's why you can play a Rookie on the line and he can make a probowl simply because the play calling is efficent and effective.

As for Miami, Chris Chambers one and only Probowl season was under a OC that loved to spread the offense and play verticle football. Cam does the same. I won't even begin to mention Ginn at this point cause he's neither a superstar or a bust. We have nothing to gauge him with in the NFL so he is more or less just a question mark. As for Booker he's not the fastest, but a solid #2 nonetheless. There is talk Dereck Hagan could pass him on the depth chart, but it's a little to early for that. Still, between Chambers , Booker and Hagan Miami looks good at WR. We also went out and got Az Hakim and we brought back Kelly Campbell. We are deep at WR between rookies and veteran players not mentioned Like David Sutton, PK Sam, Michael Malone and Kerry Reed. I think we will have a very good set of WR's this year.

RB, is also a position we are full of talent. I honestly think Booker was on Miami's radar since the day Cam was hired. He very fast very quick illusive. Ofcourse we have Ronnie and regardless of what Bill fans think Ronnie is a stud. The guy is strong fast and has fantastic hands. We also have Patrick Cobbs, Jesse Chapman and Ray Perkins We have Kyle Eckel also but I think he's headed to the practice squad simply because there is too much talent ahead of him.

Our Oline is suddenly become full of youth and talent. I love our two DP's this year in Samson Satele and Drew Mormino. Samson is our projected Center and Drew took snaps at Gaurd with the first team in Mini camp this weekend although he was pulled for a false start. I still think Drew has a real shot at making this team. If he continues to impress this summer he will secure a spot. The rest of the line includes thre starters that played very well last year in Rex Hadnot, Vernon Carey and LJ Shelton. Miami shuffeled the line sending Rex to Gaurd from his C position, LJ to RT from RG and Vernon to LT from RT. According to Houck, Vernon would have made the move to LT last year if we didn't have Damion McIntosh, Houck said Vernon was ready last year.

As I said above I think our Oline will be better simply because of the playcalling. It's a huge part of the success a team has on offense. I think Saban had a bit more control over the playcalling last year and there were times when Miami was a little too bland. Cam just this past weekend said in his PC that he thinks what makes WR's the most effective in his system is to get downfield as fast as possible. No dancing no juking, just get to the endzone as fast as you can. He also said this offense would be a run first offense. I think that however will be the philosophy midway through the season when everything settles down. I think Miami will be a much more effective unit this year, I'm not going to call them great or anything like that just that we won't be nearly as boring as recent years.

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Devin
            Any smack talk will be deleted and points issued, so spare me the headache and dont.

Anyway, What kind of offense do you invision Cam will run? What do you expect will change from last year?

Given all the weapons and success he had in SD and with a fair amount of young/promising players on offense what do you think he will do to play to the strengths of these guys? How do you think Trent Green will influence that?
            Honestly I have no idea. I've watched some Chargers games, but I wasn't committing the stuff to memory. I did bold the above, because that phrase seems to be the common thread about Cameron in past things that I've read. Also, my brain is quite tired (more so then the usual) but I'll come back to this thread after I've picked up some more info.

Comment

• casdhf
              • Jul 2002

I don't think Green will put up big numbers. I see them running alot and playing defense. Their only offensive weapon in the passing game is Chambers. I think the skill positions of the Bills and Dolphins are very similar.

Chambers/Evans
              Brown/Lynch
              Booker/Price
              Bum TE/Bum TE
              Ginn/Parrish

I do think out OL is one year ahead of theirs ... hopefully
              Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
              cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

Green instantly improves that offense. Cam and Green go way back, so I expect some fun and ekindled youth in the old man. He'll have a nice season, and anyone thinking that Miami is going to avoid throwing the football need think again. Unless the OL starts to crumble early, they'll be jamming the air with what Green does best.

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by RedEyE
                  Green instantly improves that offense. Cam and Green go way back, so I expect some fun and ekindled youth in the old man. He'll have a nice season, and anyone thinking that Miami is going to avoid throwing the football need think again. Unless the OL starts to crumble early, they'll be jamming the air with what Green does best.
                  hopefully so. I think a lot of their success will depend on the young 'uns on the o-line. At least that's something that's reassuring, they'll be some growing pains, but at least there will be continuity of a line that will grow with experience together.

Comment

• Bling
                    • Jul 2004

Truthfully, I don't know. I'm not going to claim I know something I don't know anything about. I did not know who CC was before Miami was in the process of hiring.

All I can talk about is Miami's offensive weapons. I think Miami's offense has been highly underrated for years. It needs to be pasted together. It just added Ted Ginn Jr. I have big faith in Brown, and think that Chambers could have another 1000 yard season. Brown is going to break out, I'm in no way concerned about him (despite what rival fans try to spin it out to be he's had the most rushing yards out of the top 3 RB in the 05 draft and will continue to impress). I think Marty Booker is great for a #2 on any team, and Ginn can provide what this offense has lacked for a while now. Miami probably has one of the best top 3 WR corps in the league.

I have been a humongous fan of Trent Green's for years. Like Jake Delhomme, I think they're great QBs that get overshadowed by the overrated QBs. I'm not worried about Green's concussion. I am worried that he won't be blocked for so well. I am scared about the scouting report on John Beck's arm (I'm hoping if Miami blows this year, they draft a QB just for more compeitition). Sounds like he's Chad Pennigton, which I would not mind. I don't know how a weak armed Beck is going to connect to a deep threat like Ginn though.

I am worried about Miami's O-line. The right side will be solid with Hadnot and Shelton. Carey might be able to do the job at LT. He was superb at RT, and he was drafted to be a LT in this league. Satele sounds promising (though it was disappoint to watch Kalil just go before him). But how sure are we of the C, LG, and LT position?

The ceiling on Miami's Offense is pretty high. The second highest in the division. But of course, they haven't reached since Dan left.

Comment

• North_Coast
                      • Jun 2006

I think the two keys to the Miami offense are pretty obvious: the play of the OL and the play of Green.

I don't think the OL is going to be nearly good enough soon enough to make Miami's offense more than mediocre. I don't like Shelton at RT. He was serviceable at RG, but OT is a different bird, although RT is easier than LT where Shelton failed three times: Arizona, Cleveland, and Miami. Carey might make a LT -- or he might not since the positions require different skill sets. Hadnot at RG is an upgrade over Shelton, but Satele at C is going to be a work-in-progress all season. Liwienski at LG is a stop gap. Beyond that -- Miami has a lot of never weres and rookies, so all the Catholic Fins fans had best saying a novena to St Jude for the health of their OL!

As for Trent Green, I think last year's performance in KC was NOT auspicious. QBs on the wrong side of 35 can "lose it" without notice. In 2002, Vinny T tanked. Last year it was Brad Johnson.

Moreover, Green's a high maintenance QB who needs a good line for protection to give him time to find his weapons. I don't think Miami's OL can give him the time to throw, Chambers is inconsistent, Booker's okay, and the rest of the Fins WRs and TEs don't scare anybody.

The Bills have only had 17 playoff years and 19 winning seasons in 47 years. 9 of those playoff years and 10 of those winning seasons -- and the 4 Super Bowl appearances -- came in the 15 years when Bill Polian and John Butler were Bills GMs ... and Ralph Wilson fired them both.

Comment

• Marvelous
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Devin
                        Wow! Talk about power trip...
                        GO BILLS!!! NE
                        Magical Trevor

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Marvelous
                          Wow! Talk about power trip...
                          Crush you like this paper cup / Mr. Burns type power?

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                            • Mar 2005

If you guys can't keep from talking smack in ONE thread then they deserve to be deleted. He was simply asking for the smack to be kept out of this thread. I don't see a power trip at all

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Miami's offense imo will rely on two things;
                              1. The solidifying of their OL-if it comes together Brown has lanes he didnt have last year, and Green gets the time he needs to pick teams apart.

2. A second WR option emerges. I dont think Booker is a good #2 and I dont think Ginn will ever be more than a ST'er (ala Dante Hall), but if somebody like Hagan can emerge and provide a reason for teams to give a damn about the guy oppositte Chambers then thats huge for them. Also seeing a reliable TE target emerge would be nice for them too.

Thats what the Dolphins entire season hinges on right there imo.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X