PDA

View Full Version : Bills should expect plenty from Whitner in Year 2

YardRat
06-12-2007, 05:52 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/bills-dontewhitner-yeartwo110607.html

If Whitner fared so well in his inaugural year with Buffalo, one would think he'll be that much better in his second season.

Another thing to consider is that the former collegiate All-American is now fully aware of his role in the Bills' Tampa 2 defensive scheme. He's been learning the system since last summer, and it's likely safe to say he -- thanks largely to D-coordinator Perry Fewell -- knows exactly what it entails.

And with veterans like linebackers Takeo Spikes and London Fletcher and cornerback Nate Clements off the roster, the still-young Whitner (he turns 22 in July) has suddenly had a leadership role thrust upon him, which he handled well at Ohio State.

In 2007, Whitner and free safety Ko Simpson, a fellow second-year man, should form a tandem at the position that is at least above average. However, because the latter was a fourth-round pick, the expectations for him are naturally lower.

But considering Whitner was such a high first-round choice, Bills fans are right to look for a great deal out of him from this point on. He only intercepted one pass last year (a Week 1 pick of the Patriots' Tom Brady), which will have to increase if he wants to soon join elite safeties like Baltimore's Ed Reed and Philadelphia's Brian Dawkins as not only dependable tacklers and solid coverage men but game-changing, Pro Bowl-caliber defenders, too.

Luisito23
06-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Can't wait to see Whitner tear it up this fall...

GO BILLS!!!!!!

njsue
06-12-2007, 06:33 AM
I am considering getting his jersey.

Pinkerton Security
06-12-2007, 06:36 AM
I'd love to see him nab 3 or 4 int's next year, if he had 4 ints and over 100 tackles again, maybe he'd get some credit for once instead of people bringing up him being a reach....not that i care, we all know how solid he is and how great he could be if he progresses well:dance:

Pinkerton Security
06-12-2007, 06:37 AM
I am considering getting his jersey.

Ya, for some reason when thinking of jerseys to buy, I somehow skip over him, then I remember later how much i like him.

madness
06-12-2007, 08:01 AM
If he has the defense down this year, he'll definitely wreak more havoc on the field. I can't wait to see him layout some division rivals, especially Moss. You hit Moss hard and often and you'll take him right out the game.

Don't Panic
06-12-2007, 08:12 AM
The picks will come as (if) the pass rush improves. If a QB is given too much time against the Cover 2, it makes it hard for the secondary to get turnovers. The best they can hope for is to keep the WR from gaining extra yards. Whitner is great at that with his hitting style. In fact, if the pass rush stalls or serves to be ineffective, I'd bet that Whitner gets more turnovers from forced fumbles than he does from interceptions. Regardless, he should have a very productive year for us.

patmoran2006
06-12-2007, 09:49 AM
I expect plenty from ANYBODY in year 2 when they are your 8th overall draft pick. He needs to be more than just another starter on the team.

Jan Reimers
06-12-2007, 10:03 AM
I expect plenty from ANYBODY in year 2 when they are your 8th overall draft pick. He needs to be more than just another starter on the team.
I totally agree, pat. I thought he played well for a rookie last year, but he needs to be better this year - and I expect he will be.

Bling
06-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Step up, like we know you can.

BlackMetalNinja
06-12-2007, 10:07 AM
It's a nice feeling to know that at least one position on defense should be solid for the forseeable future. I definitely think we have a tandem at safety that can be amongst the best in the league, sooner rather than later even.

bigbub2352
06-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I think Simpson and Whitner could be an excellent tandem for years to come, and should help ease the sufforing at CB, they both have great range and instincts, which should only help continue the growth of this very young D

TSZmike
06-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Whitner is a good player and will be for years to come. Just not sure if he is going to show that #8 pick playmaker money though. I guess we will see though. Definetly a very solid player.

B-DON
06-12-2007, 03:50 PM
I am still not sold on simpson. He has talent but i have this feeling he will always be mediocre. I sure hope he proves me wrong. He did come out of college alittle early didnt he?

FlyingDutchman
06-12-2007, 07:43 PM
I am still not sold on simpson. He has talent but i have this feeling he will always be mediocre. I sure hope he proves me wrong. He did come out of college alittle early didnt he?

yeah he came out early. Had he stayed in, he would have probably been late 1st to 2nd round value. Hes very young and raw, but has TREMENDOUS athletic ability and very seriously has the opportunity to become a pro bowl type player if he continues to progress correctly.

Bat09Freak
06-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm lookin forward to him and ko kicking some booty. I think they'll both do great.

FlyingDutchman
06-12-2007, 08:14 PM
We could end up having the best safety tandem in the league if these guys play up to their ability

Crisis
06-12-2007, 08:39 PM
I love Ko and Whitner, but don't forget about those two safeties in Washington. Landry and Taylor are going to be sick back there.

ShadowHawk7
06-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Between he and Simpson last year, I actually thought that Whitner was the weak link between the two, especially in his run support. His coverage was usually solid, but I watched him end up in the wrong places too often when defending the run.

If he can solidify that, and improve slightly in coverage, I'll be satisfied for year 2.