On Being a Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

On Being a Fan

I'm often criticized by good posters like Pat, Op, and Wys for being inconsistent, or giving the Bills a pass on this, or not commenting on that. In other words, for not taking the Bills to task for certain personnel decisions, or coaching moves, or other perceived shortcomings.

The answer is, I'm simply a long-time fan. I'm not a budding jounalist, or a would-be football analyst. I'm not trying to make a living in this field, or get noticed by some publication or website, or dominate this board.

I know the Bills have weaknesses - or at least depth problems - at DT, LB, CB, and WR. We're inexperienced at several positions. We're a small market team with an elderly owner who won't spend the kind of money that Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones will. We have an octogenarian GM in only his second year in that position.

I guess I could go on and on, because I've only scratched the surface of my team's problems. But I choose not to go on and on about the negatives, but to concentrate on the positives. I believe our offense - with JP, Evans and Lynch, plus an improved line - will be very good. I believe we have a nucleus of fine players on defense. They will get better, as good young players do.

I'm willing to see how we progress this season, instead of micro-analyzing every move, and magnifying every weakness, before camp even starts. I'm positive and optimistic that we are moving in the right direction. I'm excited about this team and the progress we are making.

I'm a fan.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: On Being a Fan

Nicely said Jan.

I expect you to get ripped apart for it, but I like it!
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

you lost me at the first sentence but knowing you, I continued on because it's bound to be a good post.

In their books, a bills fan should only be miserable about the team we love. Concentrate on the negatives. We're not suppose to get excited about the positives because that would mean enjoying football which is what it's suppose to be in the first place. Entertainment.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• lordofgun
        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Great post, Jan!

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

There's nothing wrong with focusing on the positive.
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
            you lost me at the first sentence but knowing you, I continued on because it's bound to be a good post.

In their books, a bills fan should only be miserable about the team we love. Concentrate on the negatives. We're not suppose to get excited about the positives because that would mean enjoying football which is what it's suppose to be in the first place. Entertainment.
            positives or not, I don't know how anyone can get excited about losing and that's all we've been doing lately.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
              positives or not, I don't know how anyone can get excited about losing and that's all we've been doing lately.
              We've not lost a single game this year.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Good post Jan, but you cant concentrate on the positives and then rip those that concentrate on just the negatives. Both you and that poster are doing the exact same thing, just ignoring the opposite side, even though know its there.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                  I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                  • May 2005

And I don't know how you can care at all anymore given all your hopelesness. We all know we're not great and we have lots of areas to improve in... but some of us choose to at least try and still enjoy the team instead of being miserable about them 24/7.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

No one is excited about losing. That is stupid.

We are excited for the future and what it might bring.

I know in the minds of some the Bills will go 3-13 this season if they get very lucky 3 times.

All Jan is trying to say is that not everything is doom and gloom.
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Philagape
                      We've not lost a single game this year.
                      *ahem* "We haven't won one either."

-brought to you by Madness Impressions

Comment

• tampabay25690
                        • Feb 2004

Very nice, well said..
                        GO Gators!!!!!!
                        GO GATORS!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

See what I mean? It's entertainment to me. Don't tell me I shouldn't enjoy it. Why do you guys insist why we should be miserable like you instead of being entertained?

It's obvious that instead of forgetting or staying away from something that makes you miserable, you keep coming back because have the need to be miserable and make everyone else the same way.

Even though I predicted 1 game better than you, you don't care to see that. You want me to say the bills suck.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Op, if you can't get excited about the future of this team, and if you can't stop dwelling on the past, I really feel bad for you. And I mean that sincerely.

It's hope that sustains us all.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                              Good post Jan, but you cant concentrate on the positives and then rip those that concentrate on just the negatives. Both you and that poster are doing the exact same thing, just ignoring the opposite side, even though know its there.
                              Yup. By far the worst offenders are those who attack the critics.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X