According to this AP story, the Bills do not have to forfeit the rights of Walker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

According to this AP story, the Bills do not have to forfeit the rights of Walker

Not sure if this was posted yet, but the AP is reporting that the Bills have the option of keeping him even if they don't agree on a contract. Maybe marv isn't so stupid after all.

Darwin Walker and the Buffalo Bills have stepped up talks to complete a restructured contract in time for the him to attend the team's mandatory minicamp next week. "We've had dialogue and we're still hopeful," Walker's agent said. "We've got to be hopeful because Darwin wants to play there and sees it as a wonderful opportunity. He wants to be a Bill in the worst way."

Under NFL rules, the Bills would have the option to return Walker to Philadelphia if he doesn't report by Aug. 5. Buffalo would then receive a sixth-round pick in next year's draft as compensation.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur.../s_511842.html

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: According to this AP story, the Bills do not have to forfeit the rights of Walker

If the Bills have the option, it would completely change my opinion of the FO on this trade. But according to what Marv said yesterday, it sounds like the Bills DON'T have the option.

There is so much conflicting information on this story.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Re: According to this AP story, the Bills do not have to forfeit the rights of Walker

Perhaps in all of these matters we should get as much relevant information as possible before jumping to any conclusions.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Hammertime
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
        Perhaps in all of these matters we should get as much relevant information as possible before jumping to any conclusions.
        But what if we want to slam Marv Levy for destroying the Bills and ruining our lives?!?!
        Bruce: What time is it?
        Biscuit: Huh?
        Bruce: What time is it?
        Biscuit: Showtime?
        Bruce: (incensed) Hammertime!!
        Biscuit: Hammertime!
        Bruce: Hammertime is when you hitting that nail in a piece of wood with a hammer. You keep hitting that nail, over and over until you can no longer see the nail. You just see the wood is all splintered and what-not. That is Hammertime.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

IF we cant sign him before the deadline, I dont want him .

I still think its an absolutely horrible trade to make when you trade for a guy that straight up tells you he wants a new deal and you still trade for him anyway.

But i'd rather have the extra 6th than hold on to him.. THat gives us 2 sixths and 2 thirds next year.. Maybe ammo to move up for something next year.

Still, absolutely deplorable trade and bad judgement by our FO to basically give Spikes away.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
            If the Bills have the option, it would completely change my opinion of the FO on this trade. But according to what Marv said yesterday, it sounds like the Bills DON'T have the option.

There is so much conflicting information on this story.
            If they have the option of sending him back for a 6th rounder or keeping him and making him sweat it out that makes it a even stronger move by Marv. If they have to sit the guy for $1.3 M so be it, or he can try to be greedy and wait. It's puts the Bills in a much stronger position for negotiating purposes.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              IF we cant sign him before the deadline, I dont want him .

I still think its an absolutely horrible trade to make when you trade for a guy that straight up tells you he wants a new deal and you still trade for him anyway.

But i'd rather have the extra 6th than hold on to him.. THat gives us 2 sixths and 2 thirds next year.. Maybe ammo to move up for something next year.

Still, absolutely deplorable trade and bad judgement by our FO to basically give Spikes away.
              No, it gives us two 3rd's, two 6th's, and two 7th's.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

We got an extra 7th next year too?
                I thought we got the extra 7th from Philly THIS year?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  If the Bills have the option, it would completely change my opinion of the FO on this trade.
                  This is exactly what I've been saying. If they HAVE TO return him, then I'm 100% with you that it was a boner of a move, and I'll have significantly less confidence in the FO.

But if they have the OPTION of returning him, I think it was a well negotiated hedge against the possibility of Walker holding out.
                  Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    We got an extra 7th next year too?
                    I thought we got the extra 7th from Philly THIS year?
                    no, that extra 7th this year was from the McGahee trade.
                    Last edited by Michael82; 06-12-2007, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Nice..

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Yes the Bills can decide whether to return Walker for a 6th rounder, or keep him, after August 5th. Think about it, why would the Eagles say they definitely want him back after August 5th? It's a contingency plan the Bills placed in the trade in case Walker didn't report.

However if he doesn't report, I'd hold onto his rights and let him sit-out the year.

Comment

• madness
                          • Apr 2003

I was under the impression that it was an option all along. It would seem down right rediculous to think otherwise.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by madness
                            I was under the impression that it was an option all along. It would seem down right rediculous to think otherwise.
                            I wasn't as sure about it as you, but yeah, it always seemed really strange that we'd HAVE to give the guy back.. never made sense to me - when you complete a trade, doesn't the player become the team's property for the remainder of his previous contract? (rhetorical question)

Comment

• jmb1099
                              • Sep 2004

More than fair offer.
                              On a side note it looks like Marv is stock piling picks. Hmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X