PDA

View Full Version : According to this AP story, the Bills do not have to forfeit the rights of Walker

lordofgun
06-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Not sure if this was posted yet, but the AP is reporting that the Bills have the option of keeping him even if they don't agree on a contract. Maybe marv isn't so stupid after all. :respect:

Darwin Walker and the Buffalo Bills have stepped up talks to complete a restructured contract in time for the him to attend the team's mandatory minicamp next week. "We've had dialogue and we're still hopeful," Walker's agent said. "We've got to be hopeful because Darwin wants to play there and sees it as a wonderful opportunity. He wants to be a Bill in the worst way."

Under NFL rules, the Bills would have the option to return Walker to Philadelphia if he doesn't report by Aug. 5. Buffalo would then receive a sixth-round pick in next year's draft as compensation.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/rss/s_511842.html

OpIv37
06-12-2007, 10:14 AM
If the Bills have the option, it would completely change my opinion of the FO on this trade. But according to what Marv said yesterday, it sounds like the Bills DON'T have the option.

There is so much conflicting information on this story.

Jan Reimers
06-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Perhaps in all of these matters we should get as much relevant information as possible before jumping to any conclusions.

Hammertime
06-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Perhaps in all of these matters we should get as much relevant information as possible before jumping to any conclusions.

But what if we want to slam Marv Levy for destroying the Bills and ruining our lives?!?!

patmoran2006
06-12-2007, 10:27 AM
IF we cant sign him before the deadline, I dont want him .

I still think its an absolutely horrible trade to make when you trade for a guy that straight up tells you he wants a new deal and you still trade for him anyway.

But i'd rather have the extra 6th than hold on to him.. THat gives us 2 sixths and 2 thirds next year.. Maybe ammo to move up for something next year.

Still, absolutely deplorable trade and bad judgement by our FO to basically give Spikes away.

Mitchy moo
06-12-2007, 10:29 AM
If the Bills have the option, it would completely change my opinion of the FO on this trade. But according to what Marv said yesterday, it sounds like the Bills DON'T have the option.

There is so much conflicting information on this story.

If they have the option of sending him back for a 6th rounder or keeping him and making him sweat it out that makes it a even stronger move by Marv. If they have to sit the guy for $1.3 M so be it, or he can try to be greedy and wait. It's puts the Bills in a much stronger position for negotiating purposes.

Michael82
06-12-2007, 10:36 AM

I still think its an absolutely horrible trade to make when you trade for a guy that straight up tells you he wants a new deal and you still trade for him anyway.

But i'd rather have the extra 6th than hold on to him.. THat gives us 2 sixths and 2 thirds next year.. Maybe ammo to move up for something next year.

Still, absolutely deplorable trade and bad judgement by our FO to basically give Spikes away.
No, it gives us two 3rd's, two 6th's, and two 7th's. :up:

patmoran2006
06-12-2007, 10:39 AM
We got an extra 7th next year too?
I thought we got the extra 7th from Philly THIS year?

Saratoga Slim
06-12-2007, 10:41 AM
If the Bills have the option, it would completely change my opinion of the FO on this trade.

This is exactly what I've been saying. If they HAVE TO return him, then I'm 100% with you that it was a boner of a move, and I'll have significantly less confidence in the FO.

But if they have the OPTION of returning him, I think it was a well negotiated hedge against the possibility of Walker holding out.

Michael82
06-12-2007, 10:41 AM
We got an extra 7th next year too?
I thought we got the extra 7th from Philly THIS year?
no, that extra 7th this year was from the McGahee trade. :up:

patmoran2006
06-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Nice..

Goobylal
06-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Yes the Bills can decide whether to return Walker for a 6th rounder, or keep him, after August 5th. Think about it, why would the Eagles say they definitely want him back after August 5th? It's a contingency plan the Bills placed in the trade in case Walker didn't report.

However if he doesn't report, I'd hold onto his rights and let him sit-out the year.

madness
06-12-2007, 11:38 AM
I was under the impression that it was an option all along. It would seem down right rediculous to think otherwise. :idunno:

JJamezz
06-12-2007, 12:01 PM
I was under the impression that it was an option all along. It would seem down right rediculous to think otherwise. :idunno:

I wasn't as sure about it as you, but yeah, it always seemed really strange that we'd HAVE to give the guy back.. never made sense to me - when you complete a trade, doesn't the player become the team's property for the remainder of his previous contract? (rhetorical question)

jmb1099
06-12-2007, 03:00 PM
More than fair offer.
On a side note it looks like Marv is stock piling picks. Hmmm

Typ0
06-12-2007, 03:21 PM
I thought it was a condition of the original trade that he goes back if he doesn't reach a contract here...and then it means we traded takeo spikes and kelly holcolm for a sixth round draft pick...useless.

Goobylal
06-12-2007, 06:20 PM
NO, the Bills can decide whether to send him back, for a draft pick, or keep him.

Tatonka
06-12-2007, 06:43 PM

:yap:

:deadhorse:

Dr. Lecter
06-12-2007, 06:53 PM

What were the other offers for Spikes?

Crisis
06-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Won't we get comp picks next year for losing Clements and Fletcher?

HHURRICANE
06-12-2007, 07:34 PM
This is exactly what I've been saying. If they HAVE TO return him, then I'm 100% with you that it was a boner of a move, and I'll have significantly less confidence in the FO.

But if they have the OPTION of returning him, I think it was a well negotiated hedge against the possibility of Walker holding out.

Go with "boner of a move". Marv fessed up today about it.

HAMMER
06-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Go with "boner of a move". Marv fessed up today about it.

Please explain.

HHURRICANE
06-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Please explain.

I just saw him quoted on another thread as saying that Walker goes back if we don't sign him.

Buffalo Bills General Manager Marv Levy expressed hope Tuesday that the contract impasse with defensive tackle Darwin Walker eventually will be resolved. (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/87214.html)
“We continue our discussions with Darwin’s agent and remain optimistic that he will report,” Levy said.
“It is true that it was written in the trade agreement that if Darwin does not report to our team that he would return to Philadelphia and we would receive a sixth-round selection in next year’s draft,” Levy said. “But we are obviously hoping that it does not come to that phase of the deal.”

Goobylal
06-12-2007, 07:56 PM
That doesn't mean the Bills don't have the option of sending him back. And if the Bills and Walker can't decide on an agreement, you think it would be better if Walker sat-out, went back to Philly for nothing, was released, etc.? At least they'll get a draft pick out of it.

Dr. Lecter
06-12-2007, 08:06 PM

Probably not, since the Bills signed Dockery, Whittle and Walker.

TigerJ
06-12-2007, 09:05 PM
If the Bills don't return him in early August, to the have the option to return him later or does the final decision have to be made at that point?

PromoTheRobot
06-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Right again, Pat. Why get something for Spikes when we can just cut him and get nothing? You ought to be a GM in the NFL.

PTR

Throne Logic
06-12-2007, 11:03 PM

Nope. We have $75 million worth of new-to-us O-line talent to balance off the loss.