PDA

View Full Version : Bills latest offer to Walker

Romes
06-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Levy said Monday that the Bills took a big step in trying to close the gap between the two sides by offering to nix the second of the two years Walker has remaining on the current contract he was going to play under before he was traded to Buffalo by the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for Takeo Spikes and Kelly Holcomb. That would mean the eighth-year veteran would be eligible to test the free-agent market in 2008.

"We've made a proposal to eliminate the last year of his contract and he has two years to go," Levy said. "That is a fantastic concession. Let him come in and if he blows us away and he performs, then we'd do it (a new deal). But we need to see some performance from him before we do that.

"So, right now, unless there's an acceptance of that as a tremendous concession on our part, I don't see him (here)."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070612/SPORTS03/706120320/1007/SPORTS

The article goes on to say that Walker is scheduled make 1.3 million this year. I think the Bills are giving him a fair offer. If I were the Bills I might throw in a small signing bonus with that offer. More than that is giving more than Walker deserves.

Elminster
06-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I think it's a fair proposition. We're unwilling to pay big for some one who hasn't played a down for us, he's unwilling to keep his current contract because he WOULD get plenty more on the open market.....let's hope he takes it.

Talk0fNewYork
06-12-2007, 12:29 PM
That greedy ***** better take that, or get the **** out of buffalo!

ddaryl
06-12-2007, 12:31 PM
bottom line is the guy has 2 years left on his contract and hasn't even made an attempt to show up in Buffalo for OTA's voluntary or mandatory. This says a lot about his character. If he had one year left then I can understand pushing for an extension, but with 2 years left no deal. Even so you still show up for some team activities, get to know the players around you and study the playbook etc...

If he's willing to play on a one year deal then good for us, otherwise I look forward to that 6th rd pick. I really don't care what he can do to help our DL I just don't like these types of players, and really could care less about him one way or the other.

OpIv37
06-12-2007, 12:33 PM
what a novel concept- making a player prove his value BEFORE throwing big bucks at him.

It seems like a fair deal to me, however I doubt Walker and his agent see it that way.

DraftBoy
06-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Doubt they go for it, though I think its a good offer

RedEyE
06-12-2007, 12:36 PM
This looks good depending on how the contract was initially established. If the contract was heavily backloaded, he might see it as a way for Buffalo to eliminate costs. Personally, I think it's a fair deal. He shows us a little get up and go this year and he's rewarded for it. If he doesn't like Buffalo, he's free to walk after one year.

bigbub2352
06-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah you would think he would want to gain the support of his new employer, what he did in Philly is in philly, it will be interesing how this pans out, but i got a bad feeling we will have 2 picks in the 6th round next year, he can go back to philly and htey are gonna cut him, and then someone will sign him to league minimum, cause he aint gettin more than 1.5-2mil range from anybody
just another example of the spoiled ignorance in the NFL

OpIv37
06-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah you would think he would want to gain the support of his new employer, what he did in Philly is in philly, it will be interesing how this pans out, but i got a bad feeling we will have 2 picks in the 6th round next year, he can go back to philly and htey are gonna cut him, and then someone will sign him to league minimum, cause he aint gettin more than 1.5-2mil range from anybody
just another example of the spoiled ignorance in the NFL

wouldn't it be great if he went back to Philly, we get the 6th rounder, then he gets cut and signs with us for $1m a year cuz no one else offers him anything? I know it's highly unlikely but that's a dream outcome.

The thing that scares me the most about this situation is without Walker, the only difference between this year's DL and last year's DL is McCargo who's still nursing an injury.

Mitchy moo
06-12-2007, 01:01 PM
He's holding out for a better deal, this isn't pay for play, it's play for pay.

Mad Bomber
06-12-2007, 01:05 PM
wouldn't it be great if he went back to Philly, we get the 6th rounder, then he gets cut and signs with us for $1m a year cuz no one else offers him anything? I know it's highly unlikely but that's a dream outcome.

LOL, I'd love to see that!

Michael82
06-12-2007, 01:13 PM
That sounds like a fair offer! :up:

Devin
06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Knowing our luck he will be a pro-bowler this year and sign elsewhere.

It would figure.

bigbub2352
06-12-2007, 01:18 PM

The thing that scares me the most about this situation is without Walker, the only difference between this year's DL and last year's DL is McCargo who's still nursing an injury.

The funny thing is if he does get sent back he will be cut, but i dont think we would go after him anymore if that happens, what a jerk i still cant believe he is doing this, he should play ball then go for the money, U r right thou we do need McCargo to get healthy then this situation wouldnt look so bad, i still think we should have gone after Ian Scott

feldspar
06-12-2007, 01:20 PM
this isn't pay for play, it's play for pay.

huh?

TigerJ
06-12-2007, 09:32 PM
This looks good depending on how the contract was initially established. If the contract was heavily backloaded, he might see it as a way for Buffalo to eliminate costs. Personally, I think it's a fair deal. He shows us a little get up and go this year and he's rewarded for it. If he doesn't like Buffalo, he's free to walk after one year.

If it was heavily backloaded, it would be harder for him to claim he's underpaid. I think that's been his contention. He might ask for a renegotiation to give him more security, but a backloaded contract would give him a big paycheck in '08.

Goobylal
06-12-2007, 09:49 PM
The thing is, he's proven his worth with the Eagles. Hence the reason he was asking for a pay increase. The Bills knew that and still traded for him. I think they should give him a pay increase, not just void the final year of his contract.

BillsFanInNM
06-12-2007, 10:15 PM
The funny thing is if he does get sent back he will be cut, but i dont think we would go after him anymore if that happens, what a jerk i still cant believe he is doing this, he should play ball then go for the money, U r right thou we do need McCargo to get healthy then this situation wouldnt look so bad, i still think we should have gone after Ian Scott

I don't think Ian Scott would have been the answer. It was either in their final regular season game or their first playoff game, I seen him on his back more than Paris Hilton. He was blown up on sevaral plays. IMO, he's just a white version of Tim Anderson.

gr8slayer
06-12-2007, 10:25 PM
If he doesn't take it I would still rather just have the draft pick.

FlyingDutchman
06-12-2007, 10:29 PM
One thing is for sure. If we actually do sign him after this crap, he better come out farting gun powder. He better work his a$4 off and tear some opposing RBs heads off to gain the respect of the fans. Being in a contract year, what other motivation does his greedy a$$ need.

Ebenezer
06-12-2007, 10:33 PM
he's got a contract...fine him or let him sit out for a year...

Throne Logic
06-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Something is very wierd with this entire situation. Right from the start, this situation has been about as abnormal as it gets in regards to business transactions in the NFL. From that "revert back to the Eagles" deal. This is like trading in a used car for a new one, only if the dealer doesn't sell your old car by the end of the month, they just go on and give it back to you while you keep the new one.

What possible reason could there be to include the revert back clause? Unless you believe in the conspiracy to get TKO off the roster without fall-out with the fans.

Now they're offering to void half of the effective contract as incentive? This is asinine.

Is there any precedent for either of these bizarre moves?

Man, toss in the whole "Cash to Cap" ideal along with the drafting strategies and it really makes you wonder. They are literally rewritting the book on how an NFL team does business. Either the folks at OBD are incredibly brilliant or absolutely mad. Perhaps a bit of both.

Crisis
06-13-2007, 04:53 AM
IMO, he's just a white version of Tim Anderson.

lol.

what?

Night Train
06-13-2007, 05:37 AM
This 37th Darwin Walker thread is far more fascinating than the others.

Wait...

Ickybaluky
06-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Adam Schefter is reporting (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10223280) Walker is likely headed back to the Eagles:

More and more, it looks as if defensive tackle Darwin Walker will be headed back to Philadelphia from Buffalo in exchange for the Eagles 2008 sixth-round pick.

Buffalo general manager Marv Levy admitted the one concession his team is willing to make to Walker is to lop off the last year of the two years the defensive tackle has remaining on his contract. But Levy also said the Bills would not renegotiate Walker's contract before he comes in and plays for the team. The Bills believe this is an extremely fair offer on their part.

However, Walker has made it clear that he will not report to Buffalo without a contract extension -- i.e. more money. After starting for five years, Walker is tired of being amongst the lowest paid, if not the lowest paid, veteran starting defensive tackle in the league.

So, unless one side caves in and does what it strongly says it won't, then the trade will be nullified and Walker will go back to being Eagles property on Aug. 5.

Walker certainly is smart enough to already have figured this out.

And Walker stands to earn more away from football than in it.

Few realize it, but Walker has an engineering degree from Tennesee.

He used it to form his own engineering firm in Philadelphia, Progressive Engineering, which now employs approximately 900 people, making it one of the largest engineering firms in Philadelphia. Walker is the company's owner, vice president and chief development offer.

The company's president is Walker's wife, Danielle Smith, who has her own engineering degree from the University of Illinois and a business degree from the Wharton Business School at the University of Pennsylvania. They are a power couple, and now Walker believes he is well within his rights to pull a power play.

jmb1099
06-13-2007, 07:57 AM
I get the feeling this guy will never be in a Bills uni.

Saratoga Slim
06-13-2007, 08:45 AM
If he owns an engineering firm that employs 900 people in Philly, he probably wants to be close enough to help his wife manage it. sounds to me like football is second fiddle for him. I see where he's coming from - no reason to leave Philly unless we really make it worth his while. that sucks. sounds Tiki-ish.

I'm kinda thinking we end up with the 6th at this point. Disappointing. I don't think anyone had illusions that he was going to be a savior for our DL, but he may have made some big plays in a rotational capacity. I think that's the problem he's going to run into when trying to get a big contract from another team (philly will probably cut him)--he's good, but not consistent enough to warrant big-time starter pay.

bigbub2352
06-13-2007, 08:50 AM
bye bye Darwin, oh well

Romes
06-13-2007, 09:01 AM
i don't understand why an owner/vp of a large engineering firm is holding out for more money to play a game. I'd understand his position more if this guy didn't have a future outside of football.

I'm starting to think this guy really doesn't have much motivation to play football, if thats the case I'd much rather have the 6th round pick.

El Guapo
06-13-2007, 01:11 PM
i don't understand why an owner/vp of a large engineering firm is holding out for more money to play a game. I'd understand his position more if this guy didn't have a future outside of football.

That's exactly why he is holding out. He can go without a check from us or the Eagles and not miss a beat. I can't say I blame him. What leverage do we have? Remember, in the end, it's business, especially for him.

Michael82
06-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10223280) Walker is likely headed back to the Eagles:
:ill:

patmoran2006
06-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Something is very wierd with this entire situation. Right from the start, this situation has been about as abnormal as it gets in regards to business transactions in the NFL. From that "revert back to the Eagles" deal. This is like trading in a used car for a new one, only if the dealer doesn't sell your old car by the end of the month, they just go on and give it back to you while you keep the new one.

What possible reason could there be to include the revert back clause? Unless you believe in the conspiracy to get TKO off the roster without fall-out with the fans.

you could've stopped right there. PERFECTLY said.

That is EXACTLY to a tee what the Buffalo Bills did. Dump TKO from the roster without the fall-out from the fans.

Mr. Miyagi
06-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I hope he wins the Darwin Award this year. :mad:

patmoran2006
06-13-2007, 01:31 PM
At some point even the homers will be forced to admit that this was a just a pure, cost-cutting, bull**** trade.

IF you dont' want TKO, fine. But don't sit there and try to fool anyone into thinking this was the BEST they could've gotten for him. A f'n 6th round draft pick, a likely bottom-end 6th rounder to boot.

The real REASON they didn't pursue a better deal for Spikes is because by doing that, it would've costed the team MORE money to sign them. We'd basically have to flirt with cash to cap just to sign Walker.

While I think the "remove one year" from his deal is a good faith standing.. at the end of the day this dude nor ANYONE worth it or not, simply will NOT get paid if it means going over cash to cap, PERIOD

Mitchy moo
06-13-2007, 01:32 PM
You employ 900 people, your checks have to be rolling in already. That is a very large business and we need him more than he needs us, obviously.