PDA

View Full Version : Minicamp Notes: Day 3

madness
06-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Minicamp Notes: Day 3

The Bills put a wrap on their spring workouts Wednesday with their final minicamp practice. Overall head coach Dick Jauron and his staff was pleased with what the players were able to accomplish. "Generally our minicamp was an extension of our OTAs and went really well," said Jauron. "We got a lot of teaching done and got to look at a lot of our younger players that we didn't know. We took a long look at them and we like what we see."
The players now have six weeks before training camp, but they have responsibilities between now and then.
"They've got to stay with the program," said Jauron. "We outlined the program for them. They'll all leave here with a booklet and their reporting weight and they know exactly what to do on a day-to-day basis in terms of diet and nutrition. It's all spelled out for them and it's up to them to follow it."
Special teams
Tuesday the special teams focus was field goal protection and field goal block. Wednesday the punt game was emphasized. The punt return unit worked on punt rush and the jammers were focused on tying up the gunners. The punt coverage unit worked on protections while the gunners worked on their releases to get downfield and close the space on the punt returner.
Those who lined up for punt returns were Roscoe Parrish, Shaud Williams and Fred Jackson. Gunners on the first punt coverage unit were Jabari Greer, who started in that role last year and Josh Scobey. Among the more notable jammers were Jason Webster and Ashton Youboty.
11-on-11
The first series of 11-on-11 was again operating in no huddle mode. Marshawn Lynch got all the first team reps as Anthony Thomas was limited in practice. There appeared to be a concerted effort the last week of workouts to get an extended look at the younger players at certain positions like running back.
Lynch had three runs and a reception during the first unit's series. When the second unit came out it quickly turned into the Dwayne Wright show. After a reception by Brad Cieslak from Craig Nall, Wright got three straight runs, then had two receptions after that before finishing the series with another run.
"We really liked Dwayne Wright in college," said offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild. "He's a good tough-nosed, downhill runner. He looks a little more elusive than I thought he might be. We'll just see."
Later during 11-on-11 Thomas got a couple of reps as did Shaud Williams, but Lynch and Wright were mixed in as well.
Jim Leonhard turned in the defensive play of the segment with an interception off of Craig Nall. The defense also had a couple of 'would be' coverage sacks including one by Anthony Hargrove. Ko Simpson has a pass breakup on a throw intended for Kevin Everett.
7-on-7
The tight ends were again heavily involved during the red zone portion of 7-on-7. Ryan Neufeld, Cieslak and Everett were all targets in the passing game. Cieslak and Everett both had touchdown receptions, though the pass to Everett may have been a sack with how long it took to develop.
The best throw of the segment came from J.P. Losman who fired a bullet over the middle to Lynch who pulled it in for a touchdown. Lee Evans also had a touchdown reception.
The top defensive play was made by Ashton Youboty who stripped Josh Reed of the ball after a reception. Youboty was then able to scoop up the fumble before it reached the sideline and took off up the field with it.
"Nicely done," shouted defensive coordinator Perry Fewell reacting to the play.
Other defensive plays were turned in by rookie free agent linebacker Thaddaeus Washington who had an interception off Trent Edwards and linebacker Roy Manning who had a pass breakup.

More...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4862

Left side of O-line scary

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 1:12 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1521)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>LEFT SIDE OF O-LINE SCARY: Standing on the sideline watching practice we're very close to the action. When plays are run to the media's side of the field you get a real appreciation for the size and speed of the players. There was one play in particular Wednesday when I actually shuddered. It was a running play and leading the play were Jason Peters and Derrick Dockery who pulled out to the left. Peters was in charge of reaching the linebacker in space, while Dockery was responsible for clearing out the safety. Seeing Peters and Dockery on the move running on an angle straight at me on the sideline was a bit intimidating. I can safely say the money would have to be exhorbitant for me to even consider being out there in the way of either one of those guys. Needless to say Keith Ellison and Ko Simpson didn't have a chance at getting a hand on Marshawn Lynch on that play. --- </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

justasportsfan
06-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Notice how the TE's have been involved so many times when they don't have to block? Hopefully the OL can do without any help so JP can use them as weapons instead of blockers.

gil
06-13-2007, 02:17 PM
good stuff, but I think Chris Brown meant to say "the right side of the line scares me" :-)

madness
06-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Best spring performers

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 3:15 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1522)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>BEST SPRING PERFORMERS: Keep in mind that during the OTAs and minicamp it's very difficult for the offensive and defensive linemen to make noticeable performances in this non-live football setting. That's why the following lists will be dominated by a lot of the skill position players since it's largely a passing camp.
Top notch:
Lee Evans - He was a headache for every defensive back on Buffalo's roster. Routinely made a half a dozen plays a day.
J.P. Losman - Exhibited some of the most consistent timing with his receiving corps that I've seen. Effective decision making and adept at spreading the ball around.
Marshawn Lynch - Showed elusiveness and burst running the ball, smooth as a receiver. Quickly showing he can bring an added dimension to the offense.
Solid work:
Josh Reed - Earned praise from Losman for his work this offseason and it showed as he was productive underneath.
Jason Webster - Came in and made an immediate impression. Made plays on the ball (2 INTs) and for the most part was able to hang with Buffalo's deep receiving corps.
John DiGiorgio - Got off to a fast start with some interceptions and took advantage of the first team reps he received at MLB.
Roscoe Parrish - Made plays consistently as no one could handle him one-on-one.
Flashed potential:
Dwayne Wright - The power back has more in his arsenal than some might think and showed ability in the passing game as well. Moves fast and low to the ground.
Riley Swanson - The cornerback is pretty polished in some technique areas of his game and was getting 3rd team corner reps.
George Wilson - The receiver turned safety made some plays (2 INTs) and may have a shot to make the 53 man roster on defense.
Sam Aiken - Made a ton of plays this spring. Just needs to continue in that vein once the preseason games arrive.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

B-DON
06-13-2007, 09:39 PM
I am loving the potential of having lynch and wright in our backfield for years to come

FlyingDutchman
06-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Ayone happen to catch it on NFL network? I was gonna watch it but got called into work!! so pissed!! anyways, i think the fact that williams and jackson were doing punt returns probably means their days could be numbered. they have to make the team any way they can at this point and that means special teams.

I agree with the second script madness posted. as im very excited our TEs are getting in the mix and we seem to be seeing a great passing offense, but we gotta remember that there is half ass pass rushing going on, and no blitzes or anything. the short, underneath routes with the TEs are usually open because the qb has time and the field is stretched and opened by the WRs who also have the time. its still nice to see the TEs used to catching the ball. was nice to read youboty making a play, but it sucks to hear josh reed cant hang on to the ball. its all good though, its only june.