PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Predators a reality?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-13-2007, 04:40 PM
According to the Globe and Mail, the city of Hamilton will be the destination of the Nashville Predators if Research in Motion CEO Jim Balsillie buys then moves the franchise.

The Globe is reporting that Balsillie and the city could announce the deal after a meeting on Wednesday. This agreement would mean that the area of Kitchener-Waterloo would be out of the running for the franchise as had earlier been speculated.

Balsillie signed a letter of intent to purchase the Predators in May for $220 million US.http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210671&hubname=

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Jim Balsillie's representatives and lawyers for the City of Hamilton are expected to reach an agreement this morning that if he completes the purchase of the Nashville Predators and decides to move the team, it would be moved only to Hamilton.

A source familiar with the negotiations said the Hamilton city council hopes to announce the deal, which Balsillie and his representatives insist is a contingency plan, after its meeting tonight. Also expected to be announced is an agreement that Balsillie will take over management of Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc., a city corporation that operates Copps Coliseum, a convention centre, Hamilton Place and a parking garage.

The new agreement would take the Kitchener-Waterloo area of Ontario out of the running.

However, the plans are conditional on Balsillie's $220-million (U.S.) purchase of the Predators. One National Hockey League governor, who requested anonymity, said he and a number of his peers are not happy with the way Balsillie is conducting his bid for the team.

They are upset that while Balsillie is telling people in Nashville the team will not move as long as an arena lease (which has an out-clause based on attendance) is in place, he is also negotiating with Hamilton.

"If you join a club or a fraternity, it is a bunch of people who have to work together in a partnership," the governor said. "Sometimes you have to give up what you want for the greater good of the league. This is not the way to come in [to the NHL].

"In my travels, I've already had people, unasked, say, 'Who is this clown?' I've had three clubs mention this to me."

The governor said the three clubs were not in Southern Ontario, a reference to the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Buffalo Sabres. Under NHL rules, a team cannot move within 80 kilometres of the corporate limits of another NHL city without that club's permission and the approval of the board of governors.
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070613.wsptpredators13/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

hammerbillsfan
06-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Looks like it more and more everyday. I'm very surprised, didn't think it was going to happen.

Bill Brasky
06-13-2007, 05:33 PM
"this is bull****!" - the paki guy from 40 year old virgin

hammerbillsfan
06-13-2007, 05:36 PM
"this is bull****!" - the paki guy from 40 year old virgin

Says the guy who got a $1000 bill from Buffalo General for 5 stitches today.

Bill Brasky
06-13-2007, 05:43 PM
oh man, is that from the leafs game?

i swear to god i would have obliterated that dude's life in a split second... sabres fan or not. nobody messes with my homies... your jersey looked like somethin outta a jason movie

hammerbillsfan
06-13-2007, 05:44 PM
yep!

thanks man! :hi5:

Typ0
06-13-2007, 07:26 PM
How is this bad news for the Sabres?

lordofgun
06-13-2007, 08:07 PM
How is this bad news for the Sabres?
:rofl: I was wondering the same thing.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-13-2007, 09:01 PM
because the Sabres could lose the fans that live in Hamilton that come to the games now that they have a pro hockey team, not only the Sabres but the Leafs too.

Dozerdog
06-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Historically the Sabres have drawn up to 15- 20% of their base season ticket holders from over the border.

With recent success and a salary cap in place now, It is not as big an issue.

I don't think the majority of US owners are thrilled with it though. One less US market that hurts attempts to get maximum buck for their next TV deal

Bill Brasky
06-13-2007, 09:09 PM
i think this would hurt the leafs more than the sabres, but that is just my opinion.

Dozerdog
06-13-2007, 09:14 PM
i think this would hurt the leafs more than the sabres, but that is just my opinion.

Nah.... Toronto is like New York- they could have 2-3 teams and they would all do well (if not completely inept)

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-13-2007, 09:25 PM
If the Preds move to Hamilton, the Sabres' attendance would be hurt.

CuseJetsFan83
06-13-2007, 09:49 PM

if the preds move to hamilton, it will allow the common fan from syracuse like me the chance to see a game without paying 500bucks from ebay

its a good and bad thing...... territorially it sucks, but for the greater good of rivals and close rivalries its great

camelcowboy
06-13-2007, 10:14 PM
if nashville didn't have a good tough team i wouldn't worry me, but this will be no expansion team in hamilton its a team that almost as good as buffalo.

lordofgun
06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
They should rename them the Hamilton Smokestacks.

That city is a dump.

Bill Brasky
06-13-2007, 11:05 PM

and the pockets of the jackass scalpers

hammerbillsfan
06-14-2007, 12:24 AM
If the Preds move to Hamilton, they can't play in the west.

Which team would go over there?

Mitchy moo
06-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Historically the Sabres have drawn up to 15- 20% of their base season ticket holders from over the border.

With recent success and a salary cap in place now, It is not as big an issue.

I don't think the majority of US owners are thrilled with it though. One less US market that hurts attempts to get maximum buck for their next TV deal

The Sabres are all sold out basically and if we keep a competitive team playing and winning games the house will be full.

Michael82
06-14-2007, 01:17 PM
They should rename them the Hamilton Smokestacks.

That city is a dump.
No it isn't. It's a nice area, especially downtown Hamilton. It's 10x better than the dump called Elmira. :::

hammerbillsfan
06-14-2007, 05:55 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210833&hubname

The Buffalo Sabres aren't concerned about the Nashville Predators' potentially relocating to nearby Hamilton. Not yet, anyway.

"It's a fool's game for me to speculate on things like that," Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn said Thursday. "If and when somebody decides to put a franchise in Hamilton, they're going to have to go through a procedure. .. We'll act accordingly."

lordofgun
06-14-2007, 06:58 PM
No it isn't. It's a nice area, especially downtown Hamilton. It's 10x better than the dump called Elmira. :::
It's a steeaming pile of dog excrement.

And you've never even been to Elmira, Mr. Crotchester.

BlackMetalNinja
06-14-2007, 07:17 PM
You've obviously never been to Elmira Heights! :rolleyes:

Dozerdog
06-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Mark Twain once pooped in Hamilton- just to show them who's boss

lordofgun
06-14-2007, 08:34 PM
So did Brian Williams, anchor of NBC Nightly News!

Philagape
06-14-2007, 10:37 PM
I would think a hockey fan in Hamilton is more a Leafs fan than Sabres

CuseJetsFan83
06-15-2007, 01:36 AM
I would think a hockey fan in Hamilton is more a Leafs fan than Sabres

yes look at hammerbills....... loves his bulldogs and his leafs........ just ask his 1000 medical bill for that one..

i hope you find them someday and give them some retribution!

jimmifli
06-15-2007, 06:59 PM
I reserved 2 seats. 7500 season tickets in a day, for a team that might be sold, maybe be relocated, and if it is moved, one of the places it might be moved to is Hamilton.

That's a lot of ifs and maybes - and they still sold 7500 season tickets. How many season tickets does Nashville have now?

JD
06-16-2007, 02:30 AM
oh man, is that from the leafs game?

i swear to god i would have obliterated that dude's life in a split second... sabres fan or not. nobody messes with my homies... your jersey looked like somethin outta a jason movie
hammer got beat up?

CuseJetsFan83
06-16-2007, 06:17 AM
hammer got beat up?
yeah, ill edit my response when i get that part of the thread...

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=123056&highlight=hammerbillsfan+punched

http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10004/normal_Photo133%7E11.jpg