• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Hamilton Predators a reality?

According to the Globe and Mail, the city of Hamilton will be the destination of the Nashville Predators if Research in Motion CEO Jim Balsillie buys then moves the franchise.

The Globe is reporting that Balsillie and the city could announce the deal after a meeting on Wednesday. This agreement would mean that the area of Kitchener-Waterloo would be out of the running for the franchise as had earlier been speculated.

Balsillie signed a letter of intent to purchase the Predators in May for $220 million US.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210671&hubname=
    Last edited by BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan; 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM.
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Re: Hamilton Predators a reality?

Jim Balsillie's representatives and lawyers for the City of Hamilton are expected to reach an agreement this morning that if he completes the purchase of the Nashville Predators and decides to move the team, it would be moved only to Hamilton.

A source familiar with the negotiations said the Hamilton city council hopes to announce the deal, which Balsillie and his representatives insist is a contingency plan, after its meeting tonight. Also expected to be announced is an agreement that Balsillie will take over management of Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc., a city corporation that operates Copps Coliseum, a convention centre, Hamilton Place and a parking garage.

The new agreement would take the Kitchener-Waterloo area of Ontario out of the running.

However, the plans are conditional on Balsillie's $220-million (U.S.) purchase of the Predators. One National Hockey League governor, who requested anonymity, said he and a number of his peers are not happy with the way Balsillie is conducting his bid for the team.

They are upset that while Balsillie is telling people in Nashville the team will not move as long as an arena lease (which has an out-clause based on attendance) is in place, he is also negotiating with Hamilton.

"If you join a club or a fraternity, it is a bunch of people who have to work together in a partnership," the governor said. "Sometimes you have to give up what you want for the greater good of the league. This is not the way to come in [to the NHL].

"In my travels, I've already had people, unasked, say, 'Who is this clown?' I've had three clubs mention this to me."

The governor said the three clubs were not in Southern Ontario, a reference to the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Buffalo Sabres. Under NHL rules, a team cannot move within 80 kilometres of the corporate limits of another NHL city without that club's permission and the approval of the board of governors.
    The Globe and Mail Sports section provides sports news, post-game analysis, in-depth features and video on Canada's teams. Find breaking sports news on baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, golf, the Olympics and more.

Comment

• hammerbillsfan
      • Aug 2005

Looks like it more and more everyday. I'm very surprised, didn't think it was going to happen.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
        Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
        • Jan 2004

"this is bull****!" - the paki guy from 40 year old virgin

Comment

• hammerbillsfan
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jfreeman
          "this is bull****!" - the paki guy from 40 year old virgin
          Says the guy who got a $1000 bill from Buffalo General for 5 stitches today.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
            • Jan 2004

oh man, is that from the leafs game?

i swear to god i would have obliterated that dude's life in a split second... sabres fan or not. nobody messes with my homies... your jersey looked like somethin outta a jason movie

Comment

• hammerbillsfan
              • Aug 2005

yep!

thanks man!

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

How is this bad news for the Sabres?

Comment

• lordofgun
                  in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                  How is this bad news for the Sabres?
                  I was wondering the same thing.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Jan 2004

because the Sabres could lose the fans that live in Hamilton that come to the games now that they have a pro hockey team, not only the Sabres but the Leafs too.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

Historically the Sabres have drawn up to 15- 20% of their base season ticket holders from over the border.

With recent success and a salary cap in place now, It is not as big an issue.

I don't think the majority of US owners are thrilled with it though. One less US market that hurts attempts to get maximum buck for their next TV deal

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                        • Jan 2004

i think this would hurt the leafs more than the sabres, but that is just my opinion.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jfreeman
                          i think this would hurt the leafs more than the sabres, but that is just my opinion.
                          Nah.... Toronto is like New York- they could have 2-3 teams and they would all do well (if not completely inept)

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Jan 2004

If the Preds move to Hamilton, the Sabres' attendance would be hurt.

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                              Closet Bills Fan
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                              If the Preds move to Hamilton, the Sabres' attendance would be hurt.
                              if the preds move to hamilton, it will allow the common fan from syracuse like me the chance to see a game without paying 500bucks from ebay

its a good and bad thing...... territorially it sucks, but for the greater good of rivals and close rivalries its great

j-e-t-s
                              jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

Working...
                              X