PDA

View Full Version : Stewart "real enthused" to be in Chicago

PA Season Ticket Holder
03-16-2003, 12:38 PM
LAKE FOREST, Ill. (March 14, 2003) -- Kordell Stewart is ready to be a starting quarterback again.

Stewart said at a news conference he is eager for a fresh start with the Chicago Bears. Stewart signed a two-year contract March 13 after spending the past eight seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"I'm real enthused about it," Stewart said.

He's also hoping to turn things around for Chicago, which went 4-12 with quarterback Jim Miller ailing for most of last season. The Bears released Miller last month.

Stewart will become a starter again after an up-and-down stint with the Steelers. He was released last month after losing his starting job to Tommy Maddox.

The 30-year-old Stewart said Chicago's storied football tradition, strong fan base and the opportunity for endorsements also were factors in his decision to sign with Bears -- not money.

"I play the game for the love of it, not the money," Stewart said.

The Arizona Cardinals also courted Stewart, but he said the Bears offered him the "best chance to win a championship." Though his deal is for only two years, he said he hopes to finish his career in Chicago.

Before becoming the Steelers' starter in 1997, Stewart was known as "Slash," a multidimensional threat who could make plays as a quarterback, running back and receiver.

He ranks 13th on the Steelers' career rushing list with 2,540 yards on 496 carries with 35 touchdowns.

Coach Dick Jauron said the team "definitely will design" plays built around Stewart's athleticism.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CHI/6252451

therottweiler
03-16-2003, 06:50 PM
Kordell 'Friggin' Stewart?

I'm sure that Jerry Angelo is a very nice man, but that only takes you so far.

I've read that Dick Jauron is all smiles with Stewart, let's see if he is after Kordell does his patented "lock on to one receiver and ignore everyone else."

Did anyone notice how Plaxico Burress thrived when Stewart got the hook?

Bottom Line: Da Bears better draft Da Qb.

Cntrygal
03-16-2003, 11:54 PM
Welcome to the Zone rottweiler!! :)

therottweiler
03-17-2003, 12:08 AM
Thank you. It's nice to be here, very interesting setup.