PDA

View Full Version : Can Walker live up to big-money hype in Buffalo?

Don't Panic
06-15-2007, 04:53 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/bills-langstonwalker-liveuptohype150607.html

Regardless of whether Walker falters as a starter on Buffalo's seemingly improved O-line, he could make an impact on special teams, which has been the Bills' strongest of the game's three phases during recent years. At this point, expecting the Bills' special teams to get the job done is like expecting a victory from the surging New York Yankees (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/bills-langstonwalker-liveuptohype150607.html#) lately. In other words, it may as well be automatic. How will Walker help that area, you ask? Well, he has blocked an eye-opening five kicks over the last two seasons, which is a far-from-commonplace skill that would certainly be welcomed by every team in the NFL. And Bills special teams coordinator Bobby April knows how to utilize his players to their strengths, which means Walker could add the kick-blocking element to Buffalo.
In that sense, then, if Walker plays well on the O-line -- meaning allows far fewer than 10.75 sacks and opens running lanes for backs Marshawn Lynch, Anthony Thomas (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/bills-langstonwalker-liveuptohype150607.html#) and Dwayne Wright -- and makes his presence known on special teams, it means the Bills will have upgraded two phases of their game for $25 million ($12.5 million each). That's normally considered a bargain in today's NFL; however, it will only be one if Walker lives up to his big-money hype.

Five kicks in two seasons? I did not know that... Marv you sneaky bastard. Since we seem to have ditched the fullback for the H back, I think you can expect to see a lot of pro set when Losman is under center, with Lynch (or another) lined up on the left and a "safe" blocker lined up on the right. That way, if Walker (or the RG) falters, someone will be there to put out the fire.

YardRat
06-15-2007, 05:39 AM
The ability to block kicks is a bonus...He needs to earn his pay on the line. I would still prefer to see him slide inside to guard, but if he can prove himself a capable tackle that would be best.

Night Train
06-15-2007, 05:59 AM
His pay really isn't that extreme.

His base salary in 2007 is 1 Mil, with another 2 Mil in bonuses this year. He's due more in guaranteed $$ but much of his contract is backloaded in the last 2 years, meaning it's a 3 year deal at about half the published figure. He'll never see those larger bonuses and salaries in year 4.

Dockerys' contract is in reality 4 years. Prior to year 5, a large bonus in the spring is due,followed by 3 years of a very high base salary. He'll never see it.

These published figures are only impressive to the agents seeking clients. The players rarely, if ever, see the entire completion of these backloaded contracts.

Lets see if these guys can help us, rather than worry about overhyped, misleading contract figures.

Don't Panic
06-15-2007, 06:30 AM
Performance trumps all. If Walker plays well enough to make the O line a non-issue, it doesn't really matter how much he is making. If he doesn't, then some will argue that the money could have been spent better.

Don't Panic
06-15-2007, 06:31 AM
The ability to block kicks is a bonus...He needs to earn his pay on the line. I would still prefer to see him slide inside to guard, but if he can prove himself a capable tackle that would be best.

If he was our RG, I'd be thrilled, but that would mean we already had a RT in place. Unfortunately, we do not. If we did, I would have almost no worries about our offense (even the 2nd WR).

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 09:14 AM
His pay really isn't that extreme.

His base salary in 2007 is 1 Mil, with another 2 Mil in bonuses this year. He's due more in guaranteed $$ but much of his contract is backloaded in the last 2 years, meaning it's a 3 year deal at about half the published figure. He'll never see those larger bonuses and salaries in year 4.

Dockerys' contract is in reality 4 years. Prior to year 5, a large bonus in the spring is due,followed by 3 years of a very high base salary. He'll never see it.

These published figures are only impressive to the agents seeking clients. The players rarely, if ever, see the entire completion of these backloaded contracts.

Lets see if these guys can help us, rather than worry about overhyped, misleading contract figures.
IF his base pay is only $1 million this year with another $2 million in bonuses, then why is his Cash to Cap figure $7 million for 2007?

And I'm not accusing this, I am ASKING you this question. If Dockery is basically a four-year deal and you're saying he wont see the final few years of his contract, are you telling me we will count him $13.5 million against our Cash to Cap this year, and that he will STILL get cut after four years anyway?

If that's what your saying, then it makes the Cash to Cap even MORE DUMB and Discraceful than I thought before. That would mean we're HEAVILY penalizing our cash to salary cap upfront, and then we STILL will be cutting guys later on because they're contract is still backloaded?

How is the contract backloaded when all the guarentees and signing bonus goes into our salary cap UPFRONT?

bigbub2352
06-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Hopefully Jim McNally can work his magic like he did with Peters

madness
06-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Hopefully Jim McNally can work his magic like he did with Peters

Yes, but the intelligent posters seem to think McNally is a scrub.

Don't Panic
06-15-2007, 10:13 AM

Well, to be fair, I expected him to do a little more with some of the guys he's had than he did. Maybe the FO thought he was more of a miracle worker than he actually is.

gr8slayer
06-15-2007, 10:20 AM
I'd still rather have the draft pick.

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Reputations are earned.

How has the Bills OL been under McNally in terms of team rushing yards and sacks allowed?

I agree he has lacked some talent as a whole at the position, but he seemed to do a hell of a lot more with less when he was with the Giants.

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 10:23 AM
I'd still rather have the draft pick.
Can you POSSIBLY prove any more that you don't even read most threads and still comment and almost always manage to start fighting with someone.

This thread isn't about Darwin Walker.. Its about Langston

justasportsfan
06-15-2007, 10:39 AM

pssst. You forgot to put the /sarcasm. He might really think he's intelligent.

madness
06-15-2007, 10:42 AM
pssst. You forgot to put the /sarcasm. He might really think he's intelligent.

No I didn't, I always check the list in my sig so I know my place.

raphael120
06-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Eff that, if you wanted a guy that can't play RT and just block kicks, sign that 8 ft. tall chinese dude that holds the world record for tallest man.

I want him to do more than show up and make 2 1/2 awesome plays per season.