PDA

View Full Version : Spend the Sabres $17 million...

Ebenezer
06-15-2007, 06:02 AM
At the press conference yesterday it was announced that the Sabres will spend approx. $17 million more dollars before the season starts.

Go ahead. How would you spend it to fill out the roster.

Here are the Free Agents:
Drury
Briere
Vanek
Teppo
Mair
Roy
Peters
Zubrus
Paille
Ryan
Paetsch
Conklin

Feel free to get guys who are free agents from other teams.

don137
06-15-2007, 06:32 AM
You can't lose Vanek at 23 years old and a 42 goal scorer. Give Vanek 3.5,MM Drury 7MM and we need a banger like Zubrus so give him 3-3.5MM. Fill out the roster with some Rochester guys, offer Peters the minimum or sign a veteran tough guy cheap and another veteran blue liner. Not opposed to trading the rights to Roy.

Dr. Lecter
06-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Are we allowed to free up room by dumping players?

THATHURMANATOR
06-15-2007, 09:03 AM
You can't lose Vanek at 23 years old and a 42 goal scorer. Give Vanek 3.5,MM Drury 7MM and we need a banger like Zubrus so give him 3-3.5MM. Fill out the roster with some Rochester guys, offer Peters the minimum or sign a veteran tough guy cheap and another veteran blue liner. Not opposed to trading the rights to Roy.
Zubrus will come cheaper than 3 Mil. I am thinking 2 maybe.

Mr. Pink
06-15-2007, 09:54 AM
17 million? Ok here goes...and with an estimated amount for guys....

Tomas Holmstrom (detroit) 4
Kimmo Timmonen (nashville) 3.5
Sheldon Souray (montreal) 3.5
Vanek I renegotiate long-term, meaning I'm spending more now but less later...I really think if he puts up another season that mirrors last year, we're looking at a guy that could possibly command 8 per season. Meaning, he goes bye bye.
Zubrus 2.5

I then cut Spacek, Kalinin...which frees I think 6 million...I cut or trade them, not sure if they're tradeable though....

So far, I've spent 18 and cut out 6....so I'm at 12 million with 5 million to spread out among...
Mair, Roy, Paille, Conklin, Paetsch, Ryan.

I believe with these maneuvers, I'm still under the 17 million in total too.

Seeing I let both captains walk, I'd give either Campbell, Goose or Zubs the C.

camelcowboy
06-15-2007, 10:32 AM
17 million? Ok here goes...and with an estimated amount for guys....

Vanek I renegotiate long-term, meaning I'm spending more now but less later...I really think if he puts up another season that mirrors last year, we're looking at a guy that could possibly command 8 per season. Meaning, he goes bye bye.
Zubrus 2.5

I then cut Spacek, Kalinin...which frees I think 6 million...I cut or trade them, not sure if they're tradeable though....

So far, I've spent 18 and cut out 6....so I'm at 12 million with 5 million to spread out among...
Mair, Roy, Paille, Conklin, Paetsch, Ryan.

I believe with these maneuvers, I'm still under the 17 million in total too.

Seeing I let both captains walk, I'd give either Campbell, Goose or Zubs the C. Your going to have to add 2-3 million on for each defensemen you want to sign. If that tool in montreal is averaging around 6 a year the market price is going to be pretty high for star quality d-man

don137
06-15-2007, 10:55 AM
I am also not opposed to freeing up cap space by trading Connolly...I love the guy but with his history of concussions and the Sabres being soft I rather have sign Zubruis and trade Connolly....

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-15-2007, 11:49 AM

Zubrus might be done in the NHL just throwing this out there.

Sabres forward Dainius Zubrus was sidelined by a knee injury in Buffalo's season-ending loss to Ottawa in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals.

Zubrus confirmed the injury on Monday, two days after the Sabres were eliminated. NHL teams aren't required to identify injuries during the playoffs.

Zubrus isn't sure if he'll require surgery to repair damaged cartilage. He had an arthroscopic procedure on the same knee in the summer of 2005.http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2878157

BlackMetalNinja
06-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Zubrus might be done in the NHL,

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2878157

How the hell does that equivocate to him being done?!?!?! You make up so much crap around here it's not even funny.

camelcowboy
06-15-2007, 12:45 PM
17 mil?

Drury worse case senerio 7. Vanek 4 Roy 2 back up goalie 1 paetch 1 paille 1

16 million to keep one captain and the restricted free agents along with adding a veteran back up goalie.

Vanek Roy Max
Pommer Connolly Hecht
Stafford Drury Paille
Kotalik Goose Mair/peter with the extra million?

Tallinder/Lydman
Campbell/Spacek
Kalinin/Paetch

Our team with 17 mil would pretty much be the same Minus two captains.

Now what i want to happen, which never does

Trade Kotalik for a pick, trade Kalinin for a pick thats a additional 5 mill.

With 21 million of cap space say drury will shave a million off and signs for 6. Vanek gets 4-5 no matter what. in this case he gets four. Roy for 2, Scott Hartnell for 3, Sarge from tampa for 2.5. say it takes 2 to lock up paille and Paetch. find a back up goalie and a goon for the remaining 1.5

Hartnell Drury Stafford
Pommer Connolly Hecht
Vanek Roy Max
Paille Goose Peters?

Tallinder/Lydman
Campell/Paetch
Sarge/Spacek

The more you look at it by spending up to the cap i can't see any way the team keeps both Drury and Briere without gutting the rest of the team.

don137
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
How the hell does that equivocate to him being done?!?!?! You make up so much crap around here it's not even funny.

LOL, I agree. How does someone deduce from an injury that may need surgery to he might be done in the NHL.

Ebenezer
06-15-2007, 01:40 PM

it's your team...but check the rules on cutting/trading players...

Ebenezer
06-15-2007, 01:44 PM

you've been outbig by EVERY team in the league

Vanek...4.5
Zubrus 2.5

you should get Vanek for that...

Zubrus??? who knows.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-15-2007, 02:47 PM
I am assuming this is complete fantasy, so here is what I do:

Chris Drury - I know the figure that everyone throws around is 7, but I think Drury signs a 3-year 18.5 million dollar deal.
(6 million of that this year)

down to $11

I trade Dmitri Kalinen for the best prospect I can get. I will replace him with Nathan Paetch.

up $13

I trade Ales Kotalik to the Chicago Blackhawks for Dustin Byfuglien.

up $15.3

Sign Vanek for 2-years 6.2 million. Leaving him still as a RFA at age 24.

Sign Derek Roy for 3-years 5.5 million dollars.

down to 10.3

Sign Darren McCarty to a 2-year 2 million dollar deal.

Down to 9.3

Sign Ladislav Nagy to a 2-year 7 million dollar deal.

down to 5.8

Sign Yannic Perrault to a 2-year 1.5 million dollar deal

down to 4.3

And/or without trying to figure out who goes where:

Sign Ty Conklin or Robert Esche for like 500,000

Down to 11.7
Sign Danius Zubrus for 3 years - 8.6 million dollars

down to 8.9
Sign Roman Hamrlik for 3 - years - 12 million dollars
down to 4.9 million

Win the Stanley Cup.

That was fun, I am all over the place.

camelcowboy
06-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Sign Yannic Perrault to a 2-year 1.5 million dollar deal

down to 4.3

And/or without trying to figure out who goes where:

Sign Ty Conklin or Robert Esche for like 500,000

Down to 11.7
Sign Danius Zubrus for 3 years - 8.6 million dollars

down to 8.9
Sign Roman Hamrlik for 3 - years - 12 million dollars
down to 4.9 million

Win the Stanley Cup.

That was fun, I am all over the place.Im lost how do you get down to 4.3 mil then sign Zubrus, Hamrlik, and a back up goalie then go back up to 4.9? :dizzy:

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Im lost how do you get down to 4.3 mil then sign Zubrus, Hamrlik, and a back up goalie then go back up to 4.9? :dizzy:

I said I am all over the place.

Mr. Pink
06-15-2007, 04:39 PM
you've been outbig by EVERY team in the league

you should get Vanek for that...

Zubrus??? who knows.

Holmstrom at most is a 4.5 guy...he doesn't have huge numbers and is very one dimensional, but is a physical presence this team lacks.

Timmonen skill set wise isn't any different than Spacek, and we got Spacek for 3.5, I'm figuring around the same pay range for him. And hoping for much better production.

Now Souray, you're prolly right, he might command around 5 - 5.5, buit I'm not sure exactly where to price him.

If that's the case where he's in the 5.5 range, try and send a nice package including Max to Chicago for their 1st round pick. Or send Max off for a couple prospects, Max when good is very good, but when he's bad, he's very bad. I don't like the consistency he brings to the table...which is none.

Zubrus turned down I think 3 last year from the Caps...but it wasn't the money it was the length...if we sign him long term (4 years) I think the 2.5 to 2.75 per would more than satisfy him. Plus he seemed to like the team and area.

They're good on the finesse and speed aspect of the game, but even the front office realized, playoff hockey was a lot more defensive and physical. Letting go some of the "pretty players" for "grit" is a good thing. Meanwhile, I'm still looking to add guys that are gritty that have skill, and not just going all out goon. Which is why I have no desire to bring back Andrew Peters because he's absolutely useless outside of fighting.

I also hope Kotalik can get his head out of his ass and use his size and ability to his advantage.

BlackMetalNinja
06-15-2007, 10:45 PM
I love your enthusiasm and willingness to get some FA's in here... Too bad the Sabres will continue their pattern of getting almost nobody from outside the organization. I still say we sign at most 2 guys from other teams.

Carlton Bailey
06-16-2007, 12:32 AM
FTY!,

Holmstrom is NOT a free agent. I looked into his situation a few weeks back only to be disappointed. He'd be a great fit here. Nobody in the NHL is a better front-of-the-net presence than Tomas.

clumping platelets
06-16-2007, 02:10 AM

When I first looked at this, I thought it said "clumping players" :dizzy: