Is Cash to Cap even WORSE than I thought???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Is Cash to Cap even WORSE than I thought???

IN a thread about Langston Walker, "Night Train" said this. I'm not saying that he's accurate or wrong, I'm just quoting what he said. I started this thread because the other was about Langston Walker but strayed into a whole other more important topic after reading it.
    ===========================================================

His pay really isn't that extreme.

His base salary in 2007 is 1 Mil, with another 2 Mil in bonuses this year. He's due more in guaranteed $$ but much of his contract is backloaded in the last 2 years, meaning it's a 3 year deal at about half the published figure. He'll never see those larger bonuses and salaries in year 4.

Dockerys' contract is in reality 4 years. Prior to year 5, a large bonus in the spring is due,followed by 3 years of a very high base salary. He'll never see it.

These published figures are only impressive to the agents seeking clients. The players rarely, if ever, see the entire completion of these backloaded contracts.
    ========================================================
    To that, I replied this.
    IF his base pay is only $1 million this year with another $2 million in bonuses, then why is his Cash to Cap figure $7 million for 2007?

And I'm not accusing this, I am ASKING you this question. If Dockery is basically a four-year deal and you're saying he wont see the final few years of his contract, are you telling me we will count him $13.5 million against our Cash to Cap this year, and that he will STILL get cut after four years anyway?

If that's what your saying, then it makes the Cash to Cap even MORE DUMB and Discraceful than I thought before. That would mean we're HEAVILY penalizing our cash to salary cap upfront, and then we STILL will be cutting guys later on because they're contract is still backloaded?

How is the contract backloaded when all the guarentees and signing bonus goes into our salary cap UPFRONT?

========================================================
    I ask this, because I am no contract expert and on occasion get confused about the Cash to Caponomics.

But isn't the Cash to Cap designed for us to pay ALL of the guarentees and bonuses UPFRONT? That puts a huge dent into our cap the first 1-2 years but in the later years of 5-6 year deals shouldnt the player be playing for just his BASE salary after getting everything else up front?

OR..

Is this a DOUBLE whammy/**** job to the fans of the Bills? Like say with Dockery, are we COUNTING all his guarentees/bonuses up front against our cap, but still PAYING Him his bonuses spread out over the cap, making what we have to pay him in year 5 the same as any other team in a regular salary cap?

To be more specific... Hypothetically in year five Dockery's cash to cap figure is only $3.5 million. But we still owe him another $5 million in bonuses, so we cut him becuase we'd actually have to pay him $8.5 million-- even though his entire bonus went up front in year one of cash to cap?

The latter BETTER not be true, because IF it is, then Ralph Wilson is even a bigger, cheaper ******* than I thought he was.

Someone please correct me and tell me that Dockery's "Cash to Cap" number this year is $13.5 million and that's he's ALSO getting PAID $13.5 million this year; not just his 2007 base salary + 1/7th (7 year deal) of his bonuses and guarentees this year.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Is Cash to Cap even WORSE than I thought???

I"ll cite Nate Clements as a prime example for my question.

SF gave him $22 million in guarentees and bonuses. He signed an eight year contract. So SF spreads that out over 8 years. SO his cap figure in SF is his base salary + 1/8 of his bonus, no?

Lets say Buffalo had signed Clements for math sake to the exact same deal.
    Their cash to cap policy is to ammortize it upfront. So that means in year one Clements would count his bonus/guarentee plus 2007 base up front, no? His cash to cap for 2007 with Buffalo would be over $22 million?

Having said that, is that a number that GOES on the Bills books for 2007, or are they actually PAYING clements that money upfront?

If they're NOT paying that upfront. In year 3-4 or whatever, they're STILL (buffalo) going to cut Clements because he's due such a large roster bonus; even though he went on the Cash to Cap books for all that money upfront???

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

We're doomed again...

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Good answer.

Would you like to address the specific QUESTION?

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
          Good answer.

Would you like to address the specific QUESTION?
          Would you like to post other than the same old ****?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

This is a very legitimate question...at least in my opinion.

And it hasn't been posted before, nor answered.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

I"ve been under the assumption that if Dockery's cash to cap figure is $13.5 million for this year, its because he got paid his ENTIRE signing bonus and guarentees up front.. ****in up our salary cap in the short term and making it more cap friendly on the back end since the money has already been paid out.

But if its only going against Cash to Cap in THEORY and his bonuses are still being spread out, we cut him anyway because he's too expensive to pay in year 5, yet he STILL put a ridiculous dent in our 2007 cap anyway.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                This is a very legitimate question...at least in my opinion.

And it hasn't been posted before, nor answered.
                The title says is it worse than he thought which means he has wrote about it before. He makes threads that are the same but just switches it up a little and makes a big debate over the samething.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Spaz
                  The title says is it worse than he thought which means he has wrote about it before. He makes threads that are the same but just switches it up a little and makes a big debate over the samething.
                  Damn those wannabe journalists.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

IF I say its "worse than before" (and by the way I didn't claim that, I asked a question in the title)

That means I wrote about Cash to Cap before yes---- but things that Night Train brought to my attention have obviously not been.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Yes and no on this to an extent. After reading this though, I'm curious as to if even though Dockery counts as 13.5 against the cap now...and he's really only being a paid a third of that. It does make the cash to cap theory sound extremely flawed if it does indeed work out that way.

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

A few weeks ago I wondered if the NFL recognizes cash to cap. I couldn't find an answer anywhere, and some here told me it does, but I just had to take their word for it.

It would not surprise me in the least if that were not the case, that cash to cap has absolutely nothing to do with future cap room and is just a convenient rationalization for tightwad spending. Not in the least.
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

LOL.
                          How hommerific.

Legitmate question, legitmate discussion.

And mudslinging answers. Keep going, you are proving what your contributions to discussions are worth more with each post.

Again, I'd like someone with some actual knowledge to discuss the topic. Im sure as I sift through the Homer personal attacks-- there has to be a person or two to add some actual insight.

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                            Yes and no on this to an extent. After reading this though, I'm curious as to if even though Dockery counts as 13.5 against the cap now...and he's really only being a paid a third of that. It does make the cash to cap theory sound extremely flawed if it does indeed work out that way.
                            I'm pretty sure he doesn't. As far as the NFL is concerned, we still have a lot of room under the cap. I still have yet to see a definitive answer as to whether the NFL recognizes cash to cap in any way. All I've seen is a few here saying it does, with no proof.
                            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                              A few weeks ago I wondered if the NFL recognizes cash to cap. I couldn't find an answer anywhere, and some here told me it does, but I just had to take their word for it.

It would not surprise me in the least if that were not the case, that cash to cap has absolutely nothing to do with future cap room and is just a convenient rationalization for tightwad spending. Not in the least.
                              that is EXACTLY what I am asking the board, and what I am trying to find out for myself.

Is the Cash to Cap serve to actually pay our signess exactly what their cash to cap figure for that year is.. Or is everything STILL spread out just as it is with every other team; which in the process only accomplishes the feat of more quickly tying up our cap than anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X