PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bills intersted in Donovan Darius!!!!

BILLSROCK1212
06-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Bills | Team interested in Darius
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:47:39 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Buffalo Bills are interested in unrestricted free-agent SS Donovin Darius (Jaguars).

I wonder what we'd do with him since he plays SS where DOnte Whitner plays. If he can play FS I wouldn't mind putting Ko Simpson at CB.

The Spaz
06-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Umm unless they are interested in Whitner at CB then I doubt it but who knows.

YardRat
06-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Nice depth for the right price.

SquishDaFish
06-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Backup and if he beats out one of our S then that S can move to CB

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 07:24 PM
LOL..

IF we sign Darius, it aint gonna be for depth.

He'll be starting at safety.. And then Whitner will either move to free safety or maybe even corner.

Darius isnt a depth player. Matter of fact, with such a young defense, this would be an outstanding pickup.

I hope the interest is legit.

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Anyway.
I dont see us paying a 32-year old significant money for this team. 32 years old is like a fossil in Buffalo, which is what he'll be in August.

WHich sucks, cause that dude would be N A S T Y against the run and remind Guys like Moss and Welker to not patrol the middle of our field.

DraftBoy
06-15-2007, 07:43 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing Whitner moved to CB. He played there in college and was successful at CB.

SquishDaFish
06-15-2007, 07:46 PM
I wouldnt mind Whitner or Simpson goign to Safety

patmoran2006
I wouldnt mind seeing Whitner moved to CB. He played there in college and was successful at CB.
Im thinking that to. Definitely #1 corner potential thats for sure.

Ebenezer
I'd like to see contract $$ before I judge...but I like the rumor...

TigerJ
06-15-2007, 07:48 PM
That's the only way I can see it working (Whitner going to CB). Buffalo has some young guys at SS that would be unfortunate to have to cut in Whitner and Wendling. I don't see Buffalo keeping three strong safeties on the roster.

mikemac2001
06-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Play him at LB like i said in other post gotta be better then coy wire at lb

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 07:53 PM
IF this is a big if they were to sign Darius.

I would think that he and simpson would be the starters at safety, Wendling and either Leonard/Wilson as the backups..

And whitner would move to the corner.

Although im a big fan of Darius, I dont see this happening.> UNLESS they think Whitner is good enough in coverage to move to free safety, which would make Simpson a backup.

DraftBoy
06-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Also I think that Darius would do wonders for Simpson in diagnosing WR routes, and jumping passes. Along with reading the QB's eyes. Simpson got burned a few times last season and could really use a veteran presence to show him the way.

DraftBoy
06-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Play him at LB like i said in other post gotta be better then coy wire at lb

That makes the least amount of sense Ive ever seen on this board

DraftBoy
06-15-2007, 07:55 PM

I would think that he and simpson would be the starters at safety, Wendling and either Leonard/Wilson as the backups..

Although im a big fan of Darius, I dont see this happening.> UNLESS they think Whitner is good enough in coverage to move to free safety, which would make Simpson a backup.

Why would this only happen if they move Whitner to FS? That makes zero sense to me.

Philagape
06-15-2007, 07:57 PM

That's quite a statement!

The Spaz
06-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Why would this only happen if they move Whitner to FS? That makes zero sense to me.

We make sense don't worry about him.:up::beers:

DraftBoy
06-15-2007, 07:58 PM
That's quite a statement!

I know, especially since Ive been here since Day 2

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 07:59 PM
What do you think about the prospects of Whitner playing FREE safety?

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm not saying I WOULDNT want to see it.

Im saying I dont see them moving Whitner into a crowded CB spot that includes McGee, Webster, Youboty and Thomas already.

I'd see them moving Whitner over to FS before that.. Though I'd be all for him moving to corner if he's good, Lord knows we're going to need the help

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 08:01 PM
We make sense don't worry about him.:up::beers:
way to have another key contribution to the football conversation.

DraftBoy
06-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm not saying I WOULDNT want to see it.

Im saying I dont see them moving Whitner into a crowded CB spot that includes McGee, Webster, Youboty and Thomas already.

I'd see them moving Whitner over to FS before that.. Though I'd be all for him moving to corner if he's good, Lord knows we're going to need the help

I dont understand the logic. Simpson has pro bowl potential (imo), we dont have any goopd CB's on this team. Adding Darius at SS would allow he to tutor Simpson and hone his athletic ability and also train Wendling. Whitner could immediately be a starter at CB imo, and Youboty can beat out McGee in time. A defensive backfield of;
S Whitner
S Simpson
CB Youboty
CB Mcgee

does not look as good as

S Darius
S Simpson
CB Youboty
CB Whitner

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I can see that.. though McGee will beat out Youboty.. I dont even think Youboty will beat out Webster unless he gets hurt.

I just hope they sign him, and then sort it out after. They need vet leadership on this defense.

I still dont see it happening though

SquishDaFish
06-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Youbouty is not going to beat out McGee this or next year. Maybe in the future but not anytime soon.

The Spaz
06-15-2007, 08:09 PM
way to have another key contribution to the football conversation.

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 08:10 PM
hahahah.. I need to make a copy of that for my desk.. That rocks

The Spaz
06-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I can see that.. though McGee will beat out Youboty.. I dont even think Youboty will beat out Webster unless he gets hurt.

I just hope they sign him, and then sort it out after. They need vet leadership on this defense.

I still dont see it happening though

You should have known that from the begining since you always think you are right.

DraftBoy
06-15-2007, 08:12 PM
You should have known that from the begining since you always think you are right.

Cut it out now, either stay on topic or keep your comments to yourself, this childish crap has to stop

As for the topic, Im no fan of Webster and I have even less faith in McGee.

Oaklandraider
06-15-2007, 08:25 PM
The raiders and panthers are also intrested in him i personally think he goes too carolina.

TigerJ
06-15-2007, 08:32 PM
What do you think about the prospects of Whitner playing FREE safety?

I think Whitner has the athleticism, technique, and football intelligence to play successfully at any position in the secondary. The question is, where is he at his best?

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 08:33 PM
The raiders and panthers are also intrested in him i personally think he goes too carolina.
Damn..Knew it wasnt going to be easy.

How about I just hope that the Bills sign a GOOD player and let the staff figure it out after.

Scumbag College
06-15-2007, 09:37 PM
I dunno, the guy had a torn knee ligament in 2005 and then a broken leg in 2006. The Bills drafted Simpson, Whitner, Youboty, Wendling, etc. with the objective of getting younger and faster, and taking a starting position away from one of those guys won't help them improve.

The only way I'd like the Bills to sign him is if:

1. The Bills docs really think he is physically where he's at before the injuries.

2. No confidence in their CBs right now and plan on moving Whitner or Simpson to CB.

3. He can be gotten at or damn near the vet minimum.

I think if the Bills do sign him, he'd still have to fight it out with Wendling, Webster, Leonhard, and others for a roster spot in training camp. I wouldn't be surprised if he did get cut too, if signed. However, it would be nice to have a veteran back there with all the young guys whom can really play the run well and make some big hits, things that aren't traits the Bills' DBs have right now.

Mitchy moo
06-15-2007, 10:19 PM
He would add some vet cred to our D and he can hit hard (and high). If he can run fast and is healthy, let's sign him up for T-camp and see if he's ready. Our offense has a good shot of moving the chains alot more often this year, our ST has been great for years and our D needs some work. You get a good D together, with a good offense and great ST you have a playoff team and a potential for it all.

P.S. I am a homer and want us to win it all every year.:bandwagon

Mahdi
06-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Actually it does make some sense.... Darius is 6'1, 225... that already makes him bigger than Wire and the same size as Ellison with better pass coverage skills. Just like an older corner can move to S and have a big impact ( like Lott and Woodson) an older S can move to LB if hes big enough. Its probably not going to happen but its not too crazy.... Urlacher was a S when he was drafted.

Mitchy moo
06-15-2007, 10:38 PM
the first comment on ESPN is this:

sniper421 (6/14/2007 at 1:27 PM)
Donovin Darius on behalf of the Buffalo Bills I would like to make you an offer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2904087

:candle:

tampabay25690
06-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Maybe this will be a good place for Darius since he did play college at Syracuse. Would bring a good veteran to the defense.

Carlton Bailey
06-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Safety is the hardest position for a rookie defender to play, I've read numerous times, and Whitner developed nicely there. By that logic, wouldn't he be even better at CB? He has good coverage skills, can tackle and runs, what, a 4.3?

FS - Simpson
SS - Darius
CBs - Whitner, then Webster, Thomas, Youboty or McGee.

I think that's a fairly respectable secondary. It probably won't happen, however.

Throne Logic
06-15-2007, 11:23 PM
I don't want to move either Whitner or Simpson out of their respective safety spots. They are young, yes. They are also learning quickly. More importantly, they are learning together. You move one, you might set back the other. Besides, why mess with what could be a strength for this defense for years to come?

That said, I have no interest in Darius coming to Buffalo unless he is willing to be a backup. Nevermind that he's getting older and has been often injured in recent years. It messes up the grand plan in one of the units that we all agree is rapidly headed in the right direction. Our safety tandem could become an elite set in the near future. Let it be.

njsue
06-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Donovan Darius has character issues.

dannyek71
06-15-2007, 11:29 PM
yea, lets impede the progress of one of the best young ss in the game to sign an over the hill type of guy that buffalo has been trying to rid itself of all of this offseason.

Carlton Bailey
06-15-2007, 11:30 PM

Please, I implore you not to make statements that are asinine and totally false.

"In 2004, Darius was fined $75,000 for pulling off an extremely dangerous clothesline tackle on Green Bay Packer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packer) wide receiver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_receiver) Robert Ferguson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Ferguson). However Darius later apologized to Ferguson for the incident and visited him at the hospital, offering his condolences."

Yeah, he's classless. Give me a break.

njsue
06-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Please, I implore you not to make statements that are asinine and totally false.

"In 2004, Darius was fined $75,000 for pulling off an extremely dangerous clothesline tackle on Green Bay Packer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packer) wide receiver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_receiver) Robert Ferguson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Ferguson). However Darius later apologized to Ferguson for the incident and visited him at the hospital, offering his condolences."

Yeah, he's classless. Give me a break.

Get a clue please. Marv Levy does not like players on the bills with Character issues. Look at the Cincinnati Bengals. Talk about players with character issues.

None of that on the Buffalo Bills!!!!!!!

Carlton Bailey
06-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Get a clue please. Marv Levy does not like players on the bills with Character issues. Look at the Cincinnati Bengals. Talk about players with character issues.

Where are the character issues??? Darius has been a class player his whole career; you're going to negatively judge him based on one dirty hit? Good Lord.

Carlton Bailey
06-15-2007, 11:47 PM
This is from Jaguars.com:

"Has made community involvement a priority since joining the Jaguars … Hosts a free, one-day youth “Sharpen Your Skills” football camp to help local youth improve their skills and attitudes to help them reach their full potential … Recently established the Donovin Darius Children’s Foundation to focus his efforts in serving youth … Jaguars 2001 Community Leader of the Year for his on-going community involvement … Named Jaguars’ “Hometown Hero” at 2002 Jaspers Awards show … Spokesman for team’s annual Gift of Life holiday blood drive … Volunteers annually with Jacksonville’s Communities In Schools program at Ribault Middle School, talking to students about important decisions they will face as teenagers and adults … Speaks to two schools a month about the importance of making the right choices … Supports community blood drives organized by the Florida-Georgia Blood Alliance … Also supports several programs of the Jacksonville Jaguars Foundation, including the Playbooks reading initiative and Straight Talk anti-teen pregnancy program … Has supported several local youth sports organizations and is active in his church, Potter’s House Christian Fellowship … Jaguars’ 2002 United Way spokesman and a spokesman for sickle cell anemia … NFL’s December 2002 NFL Extra Effort Award winner and 2002 recipient of Jaguars/Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida Community Champions Award for his exceptional ongoing community involvement … Directed $3,500 from those awards to his youth foundation … Hosts annual youth football camp"

Again, what character issues? I hate when people make statements that are essentially complete lies.

njsue
06-15-2007, 11:52 PM
This is from Jaguars.com:

"Has made community involvement a priority since joining the Jaguars … Hosts a free, one-day youth “Sharpen Your Skills” football camp to help local youth improve their skills and attitudes to help them reach their full potential … Recently established the Donovin Darius Children’s Foundation to focus his efforts in serving youth … Jaguars 2001 Community Leader of the Year for his on-going community involvement … Named Jaguars’ “Hometown Hero” at 2002 Jaspers Awards show … Spokesman for team’s annual Gift of Life holiday blood drive … Volunteers annually with Jacksonville’s Communities In Schools program at Ribault Middle School, talking to students about important decisions they will face as teenagers and adults … Speaks to two schools a month about the importance of making the right choices … Supports community blood drives organized by the Florida-Georgia Blood Alliance … Also supports several programs of the Jacksonville Jaguars Foundation, including the Playbooks reading initiative and Straight Talk anti-teen pregnancy program … Has supported several local youth sports organizations and is active in his church, Potter’s House Christian Fellowship … Jaguars’ 2002 United Way spokesman and a spokesman for sickle cell anemia … NFL’s December 2002 NFL Extra Effort Award winner and 2002 recipient of Jaguars/Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida Community Champions Award for his exceptional ongoing community involvement … Directed $3,500 from those awards to his youth foundation … Hosts annual youth football camp"

Again, what character issues? I hate when people make statements that are essentially complete lies.

Get real!

Carlton Bailey
06-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Get real!

No intelligent response? You can't even say, "I'm wrong. I just committed libel on Donovin Darius. He's actually a really good guy whom I falsely and grossly misjudged because of one hit, which he atoned for."

Keep playing God and telling yourself you're doing a good job of it.

The Spaz
06-15-2007, 11:57 PM
No intelligent response? You can't even say, "I'm wrong. I just committed libel on Donovin Darius. He's actually a really good guy whom I falsely and grossly misjudged because of one hit, which he atoned for."

Keep playing God and telling yourself you're doing a good job of it.

I don't want to say anything is wrong with women but when it comes to football... Just let it die. There has been a couple occasions where she has been called out on issues and she has no real comeback. Just take her comments for what it is...

Carlton Bailey
06-16-2007, 12:13 AM
I don't want to say anything is wrong with women but when it comes to football... Just let it die. There has been a couple occasions where she has been called out on issues and she has no real comeback. Just take her comments for what it is...

I'm going to let it go because I've proven my point. My tirade had nothing to do with gender; it was about making up a story and then refusing to own up to its falseness.

Sorry, Zoners, for turning this thread into a pissing contest. My apologies; carry on.

The Spaz
06-16-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm going to let it go because I've proven my point. My tirade had nothing to do with gender; it was about making up a story and then refusing to own up to its falseness.

Sorry, Zoners, for turning this thread into a pissing contest. My apologies; carry on.

I agree. :beers:

BILLSROCK1212
06-16-2007, 12:26 AM
in my opinion of the 3 teams that are interested in Darius the teams with the greatest need from greatest to least are 1. Panthers 2. Raiders 3. Bills
probability of getting Darius 1. Bills 2. Raiders 3. Panthers

guys guess where Darius went to college....Syracuse!!!! I bet he'd want to return to where it all began to end his career the only reason he may not want to come to Buffalo is because of the cold weather which is why he may want to go2 Carolina or Oakland

CuseJetsFan83
06-16-2007, 12:46 AM
darius has character issues....... damn, i thought he was a standup guy when he was in syracuse

evol4276
06-16-2007, 01:04 AM
god i wuld love this.... turn whitner into a cb.. if hes up for the task id love this. he's a jax secondary.. gotta be good

YardRat
06-16-2007, 05:23 AM
I don't want to move either Whitner or Simpson out of their respective safety spots. They are young, yes. They are also learning quickly. More importantly, they are learning together. You move one, you might set back the other. Besides, why mess with what could be a strength for this defense for years to come?

That said, I have no interest in Darius coming to Buffalo unless he is willing to be a backup. Nevermind that he's getting older and has been often injured in recent years. It messes up the grand plan in one of the units that we all agree is rapidly headed in the right direction. Our safety tandem could become an elite set in the near future. Let it be.

Best post of the thread so far.

We've been down this road before, with Milloy. If Jauron/Levy really felt it was necessary to have a tutor starting in the secondary, Vincent would still be a Bill. TD and Mularkey are still roundly criticized for 'jerking around' Losman with Holcomb, yet now some are advocating the same thing happen to our young safeties.

If Darius were a CB, I might look at this differently. But he isn't. As I said originally...Nice depth in case of injury, for the right price, but we don't need him to come in and start.

evol4276
06-16-2007, 05:44 AM

We've been down this road before, with Milloy. If Jauron/Levy really felt it was necessary to have a tutor starting in the secondary, Vincent would still be a Bill. TD and Mularkey are still roundly criticized for 'jerking around' Losman with Holcomb, yet now some are advocating the same thing happen to our young safeties.

If Darius were a CB, I might look at this differently. But he isn't. As I said originally...Nice depth in case of injury, for the right price, but we don't need him to come in and start.
i actually hadnt thought about that. that is a completely valid point, and i think the 2 of u have convinced me haha. i wuld like the guy, however i dont wanna ruin what will maybe come with our 2 safties. especially since the one whod be replaced wuld be our 1st rounder from last year. i do really like darius tho... just no patriots. please dont.

don137
06-16-2007, 06:36 AM
I can see the Panthers going hard for him. They are very weak at safety. Right now they have Mike Minter whose skills dimished greatly last season starting and has said this is his last year and Nate Salley who was a 4th round pick last year and did not play often because he stunk it up so bad.
If he wants a shot at a championship I think Carolina is the best choice but if he wants to be near his college roots and money is not a big factor then Buffalo may be his best choice. I hope Buffalo gets him but I don't want to see them break the bank for him.

mayotm
06-16-2007, 06:46 AM

If Darius were a CB, I might look at this differently. But he isn't. As I said originally...Nice depth in case of injury, for the right price, but we don't need him to come in and start.I agree 100%. Whitner and Simpson have the potential to become one of the best safety tandems in the league. The thought of moving Whitner to bring in a 32 year coming off of two seasons of injuries makes no sense to me. It's not going to happen.

Luisito23
06-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Let him go elsewhere....We got safety convered no doubt, no need to mess up a good thing...plus he's health is questionable, he's too old, and will probably command too much money.....NO thank you!!!!.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!

patmoran2006
06-16-2007, 08:06 AM
GOd I hope we sign him now for no other reason than to see how many people from this thread change their TUNE once it happens.

There are a few main reasons why I hope we sign him. The biggest is that he can offer a veteran leadership presence in the backfield. A team needs to have at least a couple of people who have "been there before" when games are on the line.

Another is at least for the short term it would be an upgrade. Don't make it sound like this guy sucks, he's a good player and he also brings the noise. Are you telling me a hitting safety on THIS RUN DEFENSE isn't a good thing?

As for Whitner, he's only going into year 2. Who's to say he cant be moved to corner, who more than a couple people thought he'd transition to in the pros anyway, and become the Bills #1 corner for the next 5-7 years ALA Antoine Winfied?

That's if they decided to move Whitner. I like him and I like Simpson too, but I'd have absolutely no problem with Darius here either. If Jauron is a good coach he'd find a way to get quality usage from all of them.

Italian Stallion
06-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Bills | Team interested in Darius
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:47:39 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Buffalo Bills are interested in unrestricted free-agent SS Donovin Darius (Jaguars).

Hmmm... i actually would like it if they signed him. Say what you will about his "dirty play" but hes a defensive leader...something this unit is lacking.

Maybe Ko Simpson moves to corner??

DraftBoy
06-16-2007, 10:10 AM
It has been speculated since before the draft last year that Whitner may one day make the move to corner and it was by no means set in stone that he would stay at safety his whole career. I dont get how we can not want to improve this team (assuming the contract works). We know Whitner can cover, and we know he knows the CB posistion so why not sign Darius (assuming his health is also ok) to train our whole secondary and especially Simpson. Then let Wendling take over for him in a year or two. I think that allows for our brightest young stars (Whitner, Youboty, Wendling, and Simpson) to grow as a defensive unit, as opposed to just letting our safeties be good.

Michael82
06-16-2007, 10:13 AM

Great post! :bf1:

Mitchy moo
06-16-2007, 10:24 AM
nm

CAbills
06-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Haha no way Ko plays Corner in the NFL.

mikemac2001
06-16-2007, 11:37 AM

haha it was more of a joke then anything

BILLSROCK1212
06-16-2007, 11:37 AM
already posted please merge

BILLSROCK1212
06-16-2007, 11:42 AM
It has been speculated since before the draft last year that Whitner may one day make the move to corner and it was by no means set in stone that he would stay at safety his whole career. I dont get how we can not want to improve this team (assuming the contract works). We know Whitner can cover, and we know he knows the CB posistion so why not sign Darius (assuming his health is also ok) to train our whole secondary and especially Simpson. Then let Wendling take over for him in a year or two. I think that allows for our brightest young stars (Whitner, Youboty, Wendling, and Simpson) to grow as a defensive unit, as opposed to just letting our safeties be good.
GREAT idea! Wendling sounds like he can be great....worst case scenario if we sign Darius is that Whitner doesn't play well at CB and we have to move him back to S

Tatonka
06-16-2007, 12:23 PM

my thoughts exactly.

Tatonka
06-16-2007, 12:34 PM
im sure whitner would be a probowler at corner immediately.. especially since he has spent the last 3 years honing his skills at cornerback.. at the nfl level.. he is going to be awesome.. and i am sure darius will be way better than milloy when we sent him packing at the end of his career.. i mean in retrospect.. new england clearly let milloy go for a reason.. but i am sure jacksonville just let darius go because he is at the top of his game.

User Manuel
06-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I think this is a must do unless the price is way out of bounds.

Mr. Miyagi
06-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Guys. This is a moot point. Darius is going to want more money than we're willing to pay, ala Joey Porter (yes I know they play different positions).

njsue
06-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Let him go elsewhere....We got safety convered no doubt, no need to mess up a good thing...plus he's health is questionable, he's too old, and will probably command too much money.....NO thank you!!!!.....

:clap: Well said!

GO BILLS!!!!!!

BuffaloBillsStampede
06-16-2007, 01:24 PM
On NFL Radio today they were talking about Darius as a backup at best now with spot starter ability. They ssaid he will probably get the Vet minimum.

madness
06-16-2007, 03:20 PM
On NFL Radio today they were talking about Darius as a backup at best now with spot starter ability. They ssaid he will probably get the Vet minimum.

Well, that just about throws out all the points for the people who didn't want him. The knowledge he could pass onto this young secondary is worth it alone.

Illmatic15
06-16-2007, 03:42 PM
OMG guys we can wait for Ko simpson he needs time to develop, I want him starting in 3 years not now...

venis2k1
06-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Darius > Leonard. or is he?

Tatonka
06-16-2007, 04:05 PM
paying darius as a starter would bother me..

paying darius as a back up to our two young safeties.. i would love..

DynaPaul
06-16-2007, 04:11 PM
We could use him for depth now that Coy Wire is an LB.

raphael120
06-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Vet experience for our young safety position is a good get.

YardRat
06-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Well, that just about throws out all the points for the people who didn't want him. The knowledge he could pass onto this young secondary is worth it alone.

Actually it aligns pretty closely to what those posters were saying. It shoots the **** out of those who want him to replace Whitner or Simpson in the starting line-up, though.

Marvelous
06-16-2007, 09:06 PM
LawyeR Milloyslast seasons come to mind here. experience, hard-hitter, just past prime.. I was a H U G E Milloy fan but he was so mediocre in the end...

I'M Excited about Ko & Whitner...Safety is our most reliable position on D, is it wise to meddle with the youth there?

I am undecided about Ko @FS...

Devin
06-16-2007, 09:52 PM

wtf? :eek2:

Sabresbills1
06-17-2007, 10:16 PM

POST EDITED.

Ickybaluky
06-17-2007, 10:37 PM

Right, like Bruce Smith didn't have his warts.

Darius is one of the most respected high-character players in the NFL. He not only doesn't have character issues, he is regarded as a role model for what an NFL player should be. He is a deeply-religeous, married father of 4 children who was active in the community and a leader on his team.

Do you realize that Roger Goodell named Darius as a representative to the NFL's Players Advisory Committee?

Did you know the league asked him to speak to to player development directors last month?

If he was such a character problem, why did the team invite him back to hold a press conference after releasing him? He handled his release with class few players have shown, thanking the team and fans for the opportunities he had.

His release was a simple case of a 32-year old due to make $3.5M coming off back to back seasons shortened to injury (ACL in 2005 and broken leg in 2006). There is no mystery there.

You couldn't be further off-base with your comments, and your post is a classic case of someone blowing smoke out an oriface without any knowledge about the subject being addressed.

Confused
06-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Whitner at cornerback would be very interesting. I cant tell if I could see him as a ballhawk in that position, but i think Ko Simpson is a better saftey at either free or strong. Time can only prove me right or wrong there. Whitner has CB speed and nasty strenght to boot so if the money is right for Darius and they wanna move Donte, well then lets give it a shot.

Mitchy moo
06-17-2007, 10:54 PM
They got rid of him for a reason (too high on the price) but I think we might be able to give him an incentive laden contract that if he stays healthy and plays well he gets a good payday.

Sabresbills1
06-18-2007, 09:52 PM
POST EDITED.

EDITED -DB

Sabresbills1
06-26-2007, 11:10 PM

The Bills are still looking to add to their talent pool before the 2007 season begins. Buffalo hosted veteran safety Donovin Darius Tuesday at One Bills Drive.
The 10-year veteran has twice been a Pro Bowl alternate and a starter at safety since the Jacksonville Jaguars made him one of the club's two first-round picks in 1998. He led the secondary in tackles his first seven seasons and has recorded six 100 tackle seasons in his career.
No doubt one of the attractive qualities of the Bills for Darius is there are some familiar faces on the Buffalo coaching staff. His rookie season Darius worked under then Jacksonville defensive coordinator Dick Jauron. Bills defensive coordinator Perry Fewell was also Darius' position coach the first five seasons of his career in Jacksonville.
Known as a high-character player with a tremendous work ethic and charisma, Darius was considered the emotional leader of the Jaguars defense. But with up and coming safety Gerald Sensabaugh on the roster and two of Jacksonville's draft picks spent on safeties, including first-round pick Reggie Nelson, Darius became expendable.
Darius, who will turn 32 in August, has had a pair of serious injuries each of the last two seasons. The Jaguars all-time leading tackler played in just two games in 2005 before tearing his ACL forcing him to miss the rest of the season. Last year he started the first 10 games before a broken leg against the Giants (Nov. 20) cost him the final six weeks of the season.

dannyek71
06-27-2007, 06:57 AM
lets inhibit the development of one of our best young players (Whitner) and move him out of posistion so we can sign an aging FA.

alohabillsfan
06-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Don't forget who his defensive coor. was when he was drafted....

Jauron became the defensive coordinator of the Jacksonville Jaguars from 1995-98.

madness
06-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Don't forget who his defensive coor. was when he was drafted....

Jauron became the defensive coordinator of the Jacksonville Jaguars from 1995-98.

Fewell was also his pos. coach for his first 5 years in the league.