PDA

View Full Version : Eagles dont want Darwin back

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Eagles | Team does not want Walker back
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:01:04 -0700
Reuben Frank, of PhillyBurbs.com, reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/29/nfl">Philadelphia Eagles do not want Buffalo Bills (http://www.kffl.com/team/9/nfl) DT Darwin Walker (http://www.kffl.com/player/1458/nfl) back because of some offseason moves the team made since the trade, according to a high-ranking team official. If Walker does not report to the Bills (http://www.kffl.com/team/9/nfl) by Aug. 5, his rights will be sent back to the Eagles (http://www.kffl.com/team/29/nfl) for a sixth-round draft choice.

Philagape
06-15-2007, 07:26 PM
I'd really like to know who this guy thinks he is by holding out. With his attitude, he isn't worth any more than a sixth.

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 07:30 PM
I think this pretty much seals the deal that he's not coming to Buffalo. He knows Philly doesnt want him back either, and that will get him released and leave him free to work out any deal with any team he wants.

id say **** Darwin Walker but the bottom line is we still need help at DT and unless we sign someone else that we dont know of yet Im not happy about us trading for a guy we couldnt sign.

Nighthawk
06-15-2007, 08:48 PM
We need him...period. Sign him!

gil
06-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Am I wrong or would this guy not even be a starter on our team?

Wouldn't he play behind Tripplett and not with McCargo, Williams, etc.?

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 09:54 PM
He would compete with Tripplett as a starter at the 3 spot and at worst rotate with him.

If we dont sign him or someone else, I fear they will put McCargo back there and rotate Kyle Williams and Tim Anderson at the nose.. ewww

Scumbag College
06-15-2007, 09:58 PM
He would compete with Tripplett as a starter at the 3 spot and at worst rotate with him.

If we dont sign him or someone else, I fear they will put McCargo back there and rotate Kyle Williams and Tim Anderson at the nose.. ewww

Is it me, or does it feel that Tim Anderson and Coy Wire have been on the Bills for the past 20 years or so?

Unfortunately, I think Pat is right and if Walker isn't here, we'll be subject to another year of the 300 lbs. invisible man, Tim Anderson.

Confused
06-15-2007, 09:58 PM
I think all this talk is for nothing. we will sign him. We have a much stronger hand than Darwin does. evryone take a big, deep breathe. yes, we need this guy, yes he wants more money(which he will get) and yes he will shore up our pathetic run D and give us a pass rush threat up the middle. all is well. this is the game nfl players play to get what they want. Do I have to remind you all its still only june? how late did golden boy Whitner hold out till? he was a rookie for crissakes. next topic.........

gil
06-15-2007, 10:05 PM
You know, I still don't buy that we need this guy that much - he's apparently not all that much against the run and his sacks have come in spurts, according to the anectodal but apparently very relevant discussions on message boards that many base judgements about players on these days.

I would even venture to guess that if we signed this guy as free agent, it would be ripped up and down, but I could be wrong.

I don't like what we have at DT, but I don't necessarily think this guy is going to be any sort of solution - but, again, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 10:11 PM
You know, I still don't buy that we need this guy that much - he's apparently not all that much against the run and his sacks have come in spurts, according to the anectodal but apparently very relevant discussions on message boards that many base judgements about players on these days.

I would even venture to guess that if we signed this guy as free agent, it would be ripped up and down, but I could be wrong.

I don't like what we have at DT, but I don't necessarily think this guy is going to be any sort of solution - but, again, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
I agree with you in general.

But I think given the state of our cap room (plenty) and quality of personnel at DT (thin) that he's worth more to the Bills than most other teams.

He's by no means Warren Sapp, but I think the team is better with him than without him.

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I think all this talk is for nothing. we will sign him. We have a much stronger hand than Darwin does. evryone take a big, deep breathe. yes, we need this guy, yes he wants more money(which he will get) and yes he will shore up our pathetic run D and give us a pass rush threat up the middle. all is well. this is the game nfl players play to get what they want. Do I have to remind you all its still only june? how late did golden boy Whitner hold out till? he was a rookie for crissakes. next topic.........
I disagree about holding the stronger hand.

He doesnt like his contract and we're offering no more money than what he's making, basicaly a ONE year deal take it or leave it. That makes him a year older when he hits the market.

On the other hand, should we not (likely outcome) get the deal done, Walker goes back to Philly, gets cut and becomes a UFA. That gives him the ability to sign for whatever team gives him the best deal.... Certainly someone will give him more than Buffalo, who instead of bumping up his pay are offering a one year, 1.3 million deal.

gil
06-15-2007, 10:31 PM
See, here's my problem - in my opinion, this guy is a not a solution to our biggest problem - stopping the run - he's an average sized penetrating d-tackle - and we're going to sign him to some stupid contract demands that he has and what is he going to do for us - a few sacks a year?

streetkings01
06-15-2007, 10:55 PM
All I know is our run defense was ranked #28 and the Eagles was ranked #26, I think McCargo can at least help us improve by 2 spots and 4.5 yards per game! So in a nut shell......screw Darwin Walker!

patmoran2006
06-15-2007, 11:10 PM
See, here's my problem - in my opinion, this guy is a not a solution to our biggest problem - stopping the run - he's an average sized penetrating d-tackle - and we're going to sign him to some stupid contract demands that he has and what is he going to do for us - a few sacks a year?
That's a good point.

Carlton Bailey
06-15-2007, 11:14 PM
This guy's starting to seem more and more like a slightly richer man's Ron Edwards with each passing day. He can't stop the run, and his sacks come in garbage time. I'm soured on this whole thing and have changed my opinion: If the Bills send him back to Philly for a sixth, fine. I've done a total 180 here. F Walker.

Mad Bomber
06-16-2007, 08:15 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

patmoran2006
06-16-2007, 08:17 AM
They shoulda signed Rayburn when he visited.

He's an upgrade over Tim Anderson at worst, and SF only paid him like $750k for one year.

If they dont ink Walker they have to do SOMETHING

ddaryl
06-16-2007, 08:31 AM
As far as I'm concerned the 6th rd pick looks more attractive regardless of the situation.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I am starting to think that 6th round pick will better serve the team. This guy sounds like he is ready for a nice pay day and then coast out the contract.

patmoran2006
06-16-2007, 08:53 AM
someone not named Tim Anderson being in the 4 man rotation better serves the team

feelthepain
06-16-2007, 10:36 AM
I'd really like to know who this guy thinks he is by holding out. With his attitude, he isn't worth any more than a sixth.

I think it's obvious, he just doesn't want to play for the Bills. By forcing the situation and making the Eagles give up their 6th, he knows the Eagles will release him and he can choose where he wants to play even if it means he will take less money.

TedMock
06-16-2007, 11:19 AM
He came out and said that he can't wait to get to Buffalo and get things going, but they have to work out the contract issues. I don't think he cares where he plays so long as he gets his deal.

I went out with a friend from work and my boss last night. Both are from Philly. They both said he's a solid DT and in certain defenses he's brilliant. He's not a big run-stuffer which we already know. What they raved about was his intelligence on the field. They said he was the one DT who didn't just shoot gaps. He knew when to stand a OL up and "read and react" especially against mobile QB's. Supposedly he was brilliant every time he played the falcons in keeping Vick in the pocket and tackling him at the line. He won't bulldoze anybody though. Football is also not the most important thing in the world to him. According to them he is very involved with business ventures as well, so he won't show up for OTAs, etc, but he does keep in shape and does play hard. They said he's not lazy on the field, just not a rah-rah guy off the field.

Tatonka
06-16-2007, 12:56 PM
how funny would it be if tim anderson turned into a probowler

OpIv37
06-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Is it me, or does it feel that Tim Anderson and Coy Wire have been on the Bills for the past 20 years or so?

Unfortunately, I think Pat is right and if Walker isn't here, we'll be subject to another year of the 300 lbs. invisible man, Tim Anderson.

300 lb invisible man- I love it.

OpIv37
06-16-2007, 01:30 PM
conspiracy theory time:

What if the Bills and Walker both know the Eagles will cut him so they are either not working on a deal, or not signing the deal, until AFTER Walker returns to Philly? That way, the Bills get the sixth round pick and can still sign Walker when he gets cut.

Unlikely, I know, but I'm bored so I figured I'd throw it out for discussion.

OpIv37
06-16-2007, 01:31 PM
how funny would it be if tim anderson turned into a probowler

the only way that will happen is if he calls Shawn Merriman's personal pharmacist.

DynaPaul
06-16-2007, 04:17 PM
If I were him I'd get on the horn with my agent and say "Get a deal done NOW". He's making himself look like a jerk by holding out and the more practice time he misses the less time he'll have to get to know how our defense works. By the time he gets signed, if he continues this, our starting lineup may already be set. The guy's only hurting himself and not exactly making a good first impression after stating to the media that he really wants to play here.

Tatonka
06-16-2007, 04:24 PM
the only way that will happen is if he calls Shawn Merriman's personal pharmacist.

maybe he already has.. it says he put on another 15 lbs in the offseason.. i dont care what he does if he plays well, assuming he is on the team.

the thing is.. the guy was a 3rd round pick.. it is not like he is lacking talent completely.. maybe the light goes on.. not likely, but it cant hurt to hope.

raphael120
06-16-2007, 04:51 PM
In response to Pat saying we have plenty of cap room to sign Walker...

I would pose the following question.

Would you rather sign an aging DT to a big contract at a position where we might as well adopt the "wait and see" attitude in respect to both Kyle Williams and McCargo...OR...have that saved up cap room to resign Evans, JP, Peters, Schobel, whoever...to keep the good players in their prime here.

I'm hoping that this past season was to see what the Bills had, show the coaches what they were working with and see what they needed/did not need. This season they got rid of what didn't work, and brought in more of what could work. I think next year they'll only have a few holes to fill to complete the team to make a run to the playoffs.

If we're going to be "rebuilding" this year with even more young players and when you have young players you need them to develop into huge talent, why waste money on an aging above average DT as a "quick fix" for this season when legitimately you can't argue that the difference between 12-4 and 8-8 is going to be Darwin Walker.

Philagape
06-16-2007, 05:08 PM
In response to Pat saying we have plenty of cap room to sign Walker...

I would pose the following question.

Would you rather sign an aging DT to a big contract at a position where we might as well adopt the "wait and see" attitude in respect to both Kyle Williams and McCargo...OR...have that saved up cap room to resign Evans, JP, Peters, Schobel, whoever...to keep the good players in their prime here.

I'm hoping that this past season was to see what the Bills had, show the coaches what they were working with and see what they needed/did not need. This season they got rid of what didn't work, and brought in more of what could work. I think next year they'll only have a few holes to fill to complete the team to make a run to the playoffs.

If we're going to be "rebuilding" this year with even more young players and when you have young players you need them to develop into huge talent, why waste money on an aging above average DT as a "quick fix" for this season when legitimately you can't argue that the difference between 12-4 and 8-8 is going to be Darwin Walker.

You can bring all that up when you ask Marv why he traded for Walker.

And by your logic, why sign any free agents at all? Why sign Dockery or Langston Walker?

Philagape
06-16-2007, 05:09 PM
In retrospect, this trade is turning out to be pretty funny ... it's all about getting rid of players instead of acquiring them. We wanted to dump Spikes and Holcomb, they wanted to dump Walker.

raphael120
06-16-2007, 08:24 PM
You can bring all that up when you ask Marv why he traded for Walker.

And by your logic, why sign any free agents at all? Why sign Dockery or Langston Walker?

You must not have completely read my post...

I said why bring in Walker when we have two draft choices from last year at the DT position? Dockery and Langston were brought in because we don't have any budding draft choices from last year that are going to make an impact. Sure, Pennington maybe, but you can't gauge his production because he was helped out a lot by the TE's, hence why our TE's did almost jack squat in the passing game. But I think Kyle Williams did a hell of a good job last year, considering, and Triplett had nagging injuries supposivley that held him back. The reason why our Oline sucked wasnt because of rookies inexperience or nagging injuries, it was just nagging suckiness.

I think Marv brought him in because it was one of the only player positions they were willing to trade that we needed. And he also probably knew that it might not work out, hence the plan B round 6 draft pick. They were probably not counting on the extreme stubborness of his agent, when they made a concession saying they'd knock off the 2nd year of the contract.

Philagape
06-16-2007, 08:46 PM
"Nagging suckiness" is also why I think we traded for a DT. You need two guys at each DT spot to rotate. Williams and McCargo are at one position (which is also where Tim Anderson is listed), and Tripplett needs someone to rotate with at the other spot, especially since he didn't exactly shine last year.

And Walker just turned 30, so he's not over the hill yet.