PDA

View Full Version : BILLS: Whitner and Simpson hope to be cornerstones

Don't Panic
06-17-2007, 05:43 AM
http://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/gnnsports_story_167222658.html

On a defense where there are questions as to who will start at cornerback, linebacker and defensive tackle, having the middle of the field anchored by two returning starters gives the team something to build around. Of course, with an expanded role in the defense comes other responsibilities. Filling the leadership void created by the departures of Nate Clements, London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes is at the top of that list.

“We do feel like we’re ready to step up and be leaders,” Whitner sad. “We’re going to stay vocal.”

That’s something Fewell will be looking for come training camp and the preseason.

Michael82
06-17-2007, 08:26 AM
And this is why you don't bring in Darius to start. You don't **** up a good thing. :shakeno:

djjimkelly
06-17-2007, 09:26 AM
And this is why you don't bring in Darius to start. You don't **** up a good thing. :shakeno:

i agree i see no logic behind a move to bring in darius. both kids played well last year and should continue to grow

FlyingDutchman
06-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Ko=Future pro bowler. You heard it here.

DraftBoy
06-17-2007, 12:00 PM

Cant even begin to describe the value Darius would have to this team, but thats apparently our mentality, our guys are gods and nothing or nobody can help to improve them :shakeno:

FlyingDutchman
06-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Cant even begin to describe the value Darius would have to this team, but thats apparently our mentality, our guys are gods and nothing or nobody can help to improve them :shakeno:

How, by teaching them how to clothes line people? I understand the value of a seasoned vet on two young safeties, but this is no Troy Vincent. These guys are well on their way, and game experience is the best for them at this point IMO. Darius would be a waste of money to just be brought in as a player-coach IMO.

DraftBoy
06-17-2007, 12:56 PM
How, by teaching them how to clothes line people? I understand the value of a seasoned vet on two young safeties, but this is no Troy Vincent. These guys are well on their way, and game experience is the best for them at this point IMO. Darius would be a waste of money to just be brought in as a player-coach IMO.

You degrade one of the best safeties of all time about a couple of hard/illegal hits. Guess you would never have wanted Ronnie Lott on your team. We have one safety who blew many coverages last year and was out of posistion. Tackling wise he is very good but he has far to come in coverage and understanding of our scheme and his responsibility. The other safety, was good all around but let people get behind him by taking poor angles and really just lacked an overall ball hawking personality that we saw at Ohio State. You also have a huge hole at CB, you have a safety who played CB and was good at it, and with his size, leaping ability, speed, and strength could be a great one. You have yet another safety with great size and intangible but needs to be slowly brought along.

Now you fill in the names. You bring in Darius you provide stability to our defensive backfield, and you fill in a hole we previously did not have filled. You dont, you will continue to see growing pains and mental mistakes made that shouldnt be. These guys arent going to be pro-bowlers over night and I love them both. However they need some help, bc so far they have been on their own to figure out how the hell everything works.

FlyingDutchman
06-17-2007, 01:35 PM
You degrade one of the best safeties of all time...?Im talking about Darius, who are you talking about?

patmoran2006
06-17-2007, 01:37 PM
NO.. a waste of money is spending only cash to cap, leaving plenty of cap room out there so it can end up disappearing anyway after this season-- which I'm willing to bet it will.

I dont care if he starts or if he's a backup.. If Darius wanted to come here I'd sign him in a second. Or is Leonhard better than him too now?

I hope we sign this guy SOOOO bad at this point, just to see the homeristic turn of events in here in the blink of an eye.

FlyingDutchman
06-17-2007, 01:39 PM
And I understand your point, I would just rather these guys deal with their growing pains and learn from them. Its gonna happen with Darius on the team or not. Id rather keep Whitner at SS and let him learn and become a rock for a long time, instead of putting him at CB as a short term band aid.

Dr. Lecter
06-17-2007, 01:40 PM
NO.. a waste of money is spending only cash to cap, leaving plenty of cap room out there so it can end up disappearing anyway after this season-- which I'm willing to bet it will.

I dont care if he starts or if he's a backup.. If Darius wanted to come here I'd sign him in a second. Or is Leonhard better than him too now?

I hope we sign this guy SOOOO bad at this point, just to see the homeristic turn of events in here in the blink of an eye.

lol!

And if they did sign him, I am sure you could find a way to ***** about him as the haters change their minfs to always beinn negative as well.

FlyingDutchman
06-17-2007, 01:45 PM
I know its fun to speculate everytime a decent FA is available, but before everyone gets a hard on, we should realize theres is probably slim to no chance of him coming here.

DraftBoy
06-17-2007, 01:46 PM
...?Im talking about Darius, who are you talking about?

:rofl:

patmoran2006
06-17-2007, 01:49 PM
I know its fun to speculate everytime a decent FA is available, but before everyone gets a hard on, we should realize theres is probably slim to no chance of him coming here.

I agree that its common for a team message board to speculate about ANY FREE AGENT.

But this one is legit and fueled by the fact that Buffalo was listed as one of three teams interested in him.

And for all the Marv is God lovers out there, why dis Darius? If Marv is interested in him then it MUST be a good move, right?

DraftBoy
06-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I agree that its common for a team message board to speculate about ANY FREE AGENT.

But this one is legit and fueled by the fact that Buffalo was listed as one of three teams interested in him.

And for all the Marv is God lovers out there, why dis Darius? If Marv is interested in him then it MUST be a good move, right?

Of course not, bc he has dirty hits in his career and Simpson and Whitner are god

patmoran2006
06-17-2007, 01:52 PM
It may make CANDY MOSS, coles or Chambers think twice about roaming over the middle.

And when your team is THIS MUCH under the salary cap, a bigger waste is leaving the money unspent.

If he can help Ko Simpson or Whitner become a 2% better player than he is right now, then he's worth the money-- money that otherwise goes in Wilson's pocket.

FlyingDutchman
06-17-2007, 01:59 PM
:rofl:

good rebuttal, but youre statement is a joke no offense. one of the best of all time....? plleeeeeaaaaase. How long have you been watching football?

FlyingDutchman
06-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Of course not, bc he has dirty hits in his career and Simpson and Whitner are god

yeah...thats exactly it(insert sarcasm).

FlyingDutchman
06-17-2007, 02:06 PM
It may make CANDY MOSS, coles or Chambers think twice about roaming over the middle.

And when your team is THIS MUCH under the salary cap, a bigger waste is leaving the money unspent.

If he can help Ko Simpson or Whitner become a 2% better player than he is right now, then he's worth the money-- money that otherwise goes in Wilson's pocket.

So what do you recommend? Bring him in for a year? you really think hes gonna sign any short term contract? Hes going to want multiple years at a decent price. So what the hell was the point of drafting a SS at 8 last year? Im not denying Darius is good. I just see no point and no way hes going to come here. Id rather save the money that we are going to need to lock up some of our core players in the next two-three years.

DraftBoy
06-17-2007, 02:12 PM
So what do you recommend? Bring him in for a year? you really think hes gonna sign any short term contract? Hes going to want multiple years at a decent price. So what the hell was the point of drafting a SS at 8 last year? Im not denying Darius is good. I just see no point and no way hes going to come here. Id rather save the money that we are going to need to lock up some of our core players in the next two-three years.

Yes you are thats what your whole argument is based off of. Why waste money on a guy who isnt as good as our current safeties. Who says what Darius wants? Your jumping at conclusions. He may only be looking for a year or two deal. I dont think he's going to be looking for huge money, and if he is then screw it dont sign him. And we didnt draft a SS at 8 last year we drafted a DB. He can play CB, he play FS and SS. We didnt just draft a posistion we drafted a player. I see no argument presented by anybody as to why we should not bring somebody in who can not only help our overall defense but also help our four young DB's.

FlyingDutchman
06-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Yes you are thats what your whole argument is based off of. Why waste money on a guy who isnt as good as our current safeties. Who says what Darius wants? Your jumping at conclusions. He may only be looking for a year or two deal. I dont think he's going to be looking for huge money, and if he is then screw it dont sign him. And we didnt draft a SS at 8 last year we drafted a DB. He can play CB, he play FS and SS. We didnt just draft a posistion we drafted a player. I see no argument presented by anybody as to why we should not bring somebody in who can not only help our overall defense but also help our four young DB's.

um no im not. Im saying our safeties are good. Obviously not there yet but good. They also have the average age of about 23. They showed some great play at times and should only improve. Im saying id rather keep Whitner at SS and let him be a cornerstone for a long time, then move him out now after he just spent the last year learning at SS, and improving instead of sticking him at CB for a temorary band aid. I know Whitner is capable of CB but we can get one next year, or give Youboty a chance, and get one next year. I may be jumping to conclusions but I doubt hed do anthing less then 3 years. You dont think it would cost too much? I thought he was one of the best of all time? IMO, he will want a good amount, thats why i already said screw him. Id rather stick with the core safeties we have, let them learn and grow together, and save the money to lock up our core players and save the money to go out and grab some key additions in FA in the next couple of years that may put us over the edge when we are more of a serious contender.

ublinkwescore
06-17-2007, 03:12 PM
i agree i see no logic behind a move to bring in darius. both kids played well last year and should continue to grow

Maybe Marv and Co. are trying to make Darrius overvalued so that who ever gets him will overpay even more given the new cap numbers...:idunno:

DraftBoy
06-17-2007, 03:18 PM
um no im not. Im saying our safeties are good. Obviously not there yet but good. They also have the average age of about 23. They showed some great play at times and should only improve. Im saying id rather keep Whitner at SS and let him be a cornerstone for a long time, then move him out now after he just spent the last year learning sat SS, and improving instead of sticking him at CB for a temorary band aid. I know Whitner is capable of CB but we can get one next year, or give Youboty a chance, and get one next year. I may be jumping to conclusions but I doubt hed do anthing less then 3 years. You dont think it would cost too much? I thought he was one of the best of all time? IMO, he will want a good amount, thats why i already said screw him. Id rather stick with the core safeties we have, let them learn and grow together, and save the money to lock up or core players and save the money to go out and grab some key additions in FA in the next couple of years that may put us over the edge when we are more of a serious contender.

Im not advocating moving Whitner to CB for a year or two, Im talking a permament move. Let Wendling work behind Darius for our SS posistion. I have no faith in McGee or Webster at CB. Youboty at one end, Whitner at the other, Simpson and Wendling over top in 2 or so years and we are set imo for 10-20 years at DB not just at S. As far as cost go, I can see him asking for something similar to Lawyer Milloy when we picked him up.

djjimkelly
06-17-2007, 03:27 PM
listen i can see value in both the signing of him and not. signing him means he plays and leads by example im sure hes a hell of a player still but if im not mistaken hes a SS now what to do with whitner. move him to CB like i said getting him on our team makes us better for sure but by how much and how much of this teams future gets wasted by playing a guy instead of letting your young guys play. i can see whitner moving to FS or CB but then i have an issue with the pick last year unless he becomes a stud at CB. regardless i dont see safety as a need position on this team.

if this was a DT of this caliber or a LB now id change my tune a fair bit.

regardless i get the move if it happens I will support it but i dont see it as a MUST DO move. and this move would only marginally improve our team in the present i dont think it would long term

FlyingDutchman
06-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Im not advocating moving Whitner to CB for a year or two, Im talking a permament move. Let Wendling work behind Darius for our SS posistion. I have no faith in McGee or Webster at CB. Youboty at one end, Whitner at the other, Simpson and Wendling over top in 2 or so years and we are set imo for 10-20 years at DB not just at S. As far as cost go, I can see him asking for something similar to Lawyer Milloy when we picked him up.

thats actually pretty logical, however its just not worth the money and the shake up IMO. Safety is the only positions i feel comfortable with for years and dont want to screw with.

DraftBoy
06-17-2007, 03:32 PM
thats actually pretty logical, however its just not worth the money and the shake up IMO. Safety is the only positions i feel comfortable with for years and dont want to screw with.

Then what do you do with Wendling? Ive heard the arguments about him at LB and CB, but he doesnt have near the exp at Cb that Whitner does, and Im not sure if he has any exp at LB. Whitner makes the most sense to move. And Id have as much confidence in Darius-Simpson at S as I would with Whitner and Simpson at S.

FlyingDutchman
06-17-2007, 07:30 PM
listen i can see value in both the signing of him and not. signing him means he plays and leads by example im sure hes a hell of a player still but if im not mistaken hes a SS now what to do with whitner. move him to CB like i said getting him on our team makes us better for sure but by how much and how much of this teams future gets wasted by playing a guy instead of letting your young guys play. i can see whitner moving to FS or CB but then i have an issue with the pick last year unless he becomes a stud at CB. regardless i dont see safety as a need position on this team.

if this was a DT of this caliber or a LB now id change my tune a fair bit.

regardless i get the move if it happens I will support it but i dont see it as a MUST DO move. and this move would only marginally improve our team in the present i dont think it would long term

Exactly how I feel

FlyingDutchman
06-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Then what do you do with Wendling? Ive heard the arguments about him at LB and CB, but he doesnt have near the exp at Cb that Whitner does, and Im not sure if he has any exp at LB. Whitner makes the most sense to move. And Id have as much confidence in Darius-Simpson at S as I would with Whitner and Simpson at S.

Ive heard rumors of him possibly be turned into a LB as well but who knows. Im not really in favor of moving anybody. I say Wendling makes his claim on ST first and develops as a back up first. After he proves hes capable and if we are hurting at CB, then lets experiment a little. Besides that id rather keep our safety tandem the same and give Mcgee another shot and Youboty a shot as well.

DraftBoy
06-18-2007, 08:43 AM
Ive heard rumors of him possibly be turned into a LB as well but who knows. Im not really in favor of moving anybody. I say Wendling makes his claim on ST first and develops as a back up first. After he proves hes capable and if we are hurting at CB, then lets experiment a little. Besides that id rather keep our safety tandem the same and give Mcgee another shot and Youboty a shot as well.

Yuck! Why? His nickname was toast even before last years horrible season, he's a good returner but a horrible coverage CB.

justasportsfan
06-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Then what do you do with Wendling? .
With his vertical leaps we can use use him and Walker to block fg's :D