PDA

View Full Version : Wilson says Bills to be sold after his death

TMAC24McGee
06-17-2007, 01:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2906872

BUFFALO, N.Y. ---- The first and only owner of the Buffalo Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf) has no plans to sell the team in his lifetime.
Ralph Wilson told The Buffalo News that the team will be sold after he dies and that he does not plan to leave the Bills to his wife, Mary.
"I think she's capable and she could do it, but it would be tough," the 88--year--old said. "My daughters are interested in the game, but they're not going to own the team."
Wilson knows the future of the Bills is a concern for fans, who don't want an outsider to buy the team and move it to another city.
"It is the situation as it always has been [the team] will be sold," Wilson said. "It hasn't changed. I know the people are jumpy there. But I get jumpy the more I hear about it."
If Wilson did leave the team to his daughters they would likely struggle to pay estate taxes -- 45 percent of the value of the franchise -- on the team valued at about $600 million.

Ebenezer
06-17-2007, 01:52 AM
try a franchise last year valued at over $710 mil...and only going up. It will take a huge move by a major consortium of local richies to buy that team.

YardRat
06-17-2007, 05:45 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070617/SPORTS/70617001/1007

The first and only owner of the Buffalo Bills has no plans to sell the team in his lifetime.

Ralph Wilson told The Buffalo News that the team will be sold after he dies and that he does not plan to leave the Bills to his wife, Mary.

“I think she’s capable and she could do it, but it would be tough,” the 88-year-old said. “My daughters are interested in the game, but they’re not going to own the team.”

Wilson knows the future of the Bills is a concern for fans, who don’t want an outsider to buy the team and move it to another city.

“It is the situation as it always has been (the team) will be sold,” Wilson said. “It hasn’t changed. I know the people are jumpy there. But I get jumpy the more I hear about it.”

If Wilson did leave the team to his daughters they would likely struggle to pay estate taxes — 45 percent of the value of the franchise — on the team valued at about $600 million.

Wilson said it’s possible that the next owner could be someone who would want to keep the Bills in Buffalo, but he’s not willing to speculate beyond that.

“There’s so much liquidity that’s floating around the country now,” Wilson said. “Look at the stock market, it’s gone up, up, up. It’s not on dividends. Somebody hopes they’ll buy a stock and somebody will come along and pay them a little more for it. So they’ll sell it. You don’t know. There may be somebody who will come along in Buffalo and buy it. You can’t tell. I can’t guess the future and nobody can.”

YardRat
06-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Oooops, my bad.

Could a mod please either delete this thread, or merge it with tmac's?

Thanks in advance.

Historian
06-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Done.

Sad news too.

shelby
06-17-2007, 06:44 AM
That :curse:ing sucks.

YardRat
06-17-2007, 06:47 AM
I'm gonna start rolling the coins in my 'mad money' jar.

If I'm a couple of bucks short, anybody wanna chip in?

njsue
06-17-2007, 07:02 AM
Let me pull some $ out from my mattress.

Romes
06-17-2007, 08:04 AM
great...there is going to be so much confusion, rumors, worry, and panic among Bills fans when he passes...as if there isn't enough of that already about this team moving.

Maybe I am missing something but this appears to me like a completley selfish move by Wilson.

Philagape
06-17-2007, 08:09 AM
****ing estate tax :down:

RedEyE
06-17-2007, 08:12 AM
I actually see some positive in this. Wilson's wife or children would be taxed out the ying-yang if they were to inherit the team. I don't think his girls are capable of handling that kind of financial stress. With this announced, potential suitors can now start aligning funds to move on the team when that sad day comes. That also gives local guys like Golsiano an opportunity or two as well. This might not be such a bad thing.

Michael82
06-17-2007, 08:13 AM
great...there is going to be so much confusion, rumors, worry, and panic among Bills fans when he passes...as if there isn't enough of that already about this team moving.

Maybe I am missing something but this appears to me like a completley selfish move by Wilson.
yeah it is. VERY SELFISH! :mad:

Michael82
06-17-2007, 08:14 AM
“There’s so much liquidity that’s floating around the country now,” Wilson said. “Look at the stock market, it’s gone up, up, up. It’s not on dividends. Somebody hopes they’ll buy a stock and somebody will come along and pay them a little more for it. So they’ll sell it. You don’t know. There may be somebody who will come along in Buffalo and buy it. You can’t tell. I can’t guess the future and nobody can.”

I hate that last quote. It sounds like total greed and sounds to me like highest bidder wins....which equals.... :bigwave: Buffalo Bills

:ill: :mad: :curse:

ddaryl
06-17-2007, 08:29 AM
If it wasn't for Ralph Wilson the Bills would have more then likely moved away from Buffalo a decade ago and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

But in typical Buffalonian fashion we will here the extreme pessimistic side of the situation and nobody will allow themselves to believe it'll be alright in the end.

Have some faith

Tatonka
06-17-2007, 08:39 AM
i cant imagine the bills anywhere but buffalo.. so i really cant think about them being somewhere else.

the toronto bills.. just sounds stupid.

Mitchy moo
06-17-2007, 08:50 AM
I have been down on Wilson for a while and know how real big money thinks and this is not good.

djjimkelly
06-17-2007, 09:24 AM
i still say they come up with the cash some how. some deal to unload 25% of the team or something like that. i will say ralph could have planned around this estate tax better or maybe he has and just wont say it and is playing the small market card for all its worth

patmoran2006
06-17-2007, 09:32 AM
I think the league would do all they can to make sure the ownership would keep the team here.

Having said that, sell the ****ing team your 88 years old. I'm running out of adjectives to describe how I feel about Wilson in today's NFL.

Nighthawk
06-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Yeah, and all the people on this board who thinks Ralph cares about this city should start rethinking their stance! This guy is selfish and doesn't give a damn about us and whether or not the team stays here.

THATHURMANATOR
06-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Hopefully he lives to 100. Why not the guy is in great shape.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Erie County will not let the BILLS leave WNY! THEY WILL FIND A WAY TO KEEP THEM HERE!

Tatonka
06-17-2007, 11:39 AM
why dont they sell shares in the team like green bay?

BidsJr
06-17-2007, 11:49 AM
why dont they sell shares in the team like green bay?

That loophole was closed after Green Bay accomplished that.

Bummer, cause it would be a great option.

Tatonka
06-17-2007, 11:51 AM
oh, i had no idea.. i guess that makes sense or a lot of other teams would do that... you would have to think that the people in buffalo and surrounding areas, would definately pony up to buy a part of the bills.

FlyingDutchman
06-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Step up Galisano!!!

Philagape
06-17-2007, 12:22 PM
I think the league would do all they can to make sure the ownership would keep the team here.

The league let teams leave Cleveland and Baltimore, not to mention Los Angeles, so what makes Buffalo more untouchable?

SABuffalo786
06-17-2007, 01:10 PM
I love the Bills to death but I absolutely detest the rest of the NFL.

If the Green Bay loophole isn't a sign of a sport's absolute disdain for its own fans, I'm not sure what is...

That said, I think we have a fair shot of staying. The league got a major black eye with the whole Cleveland fiasco and I think they'll do everything they can to keep the Bills here.

Ingtar33
06-17-2007, 01:14 PM
in 2010 the estate tax will not apply, if congress doesn't re-up it, then it will be back in 2011

camelcowboy
06-17-2007, 01:18 PM
in 2010 the estate tax will not apply, if congress doesn't re-up it, then it will be back in 2011 So do we hope ralph dies between Jan 1st 2010 and Dec 2010. Kind of seems a little morbid. I won't lie to keep the team in buffalo i might stoop pretty low.

SABURZFAN
06-17-2007, 01:21 PM
try a franchise last year valued at over $710 mil...and only going up. It will take a huge move by a major consortium of local richies to buy that team.

would they take ZoneBux?

camelcowboy
06-17-2007, 01:24 PM
would they take ZoneBux? At least Ralph would be able to afford to change his advatar :down:

patmoran2006
06-17-2007, 01:25 PM
I"ll be the first to admit I'm overly critical of this team at times, and especially the front office.. Sometimes a point turns into an annoying rant, I get cremated for it, and at least sometimes its deserved.

But when It comes to my disdain Ralph Wilson i will not stop, and the reason I won't is because when it comes to him, I am right.

THis isn't the Ralph Wilson of 15 years ago.. He's a terrible owner, and he's even worse in today's more economically rising NFL.

Since the mid 1980's, he's only made one great decision, that's hire Bill Polian. Polian brought in Marv Levy and was the architect of the drafts and trades that put Buffalo on the map. After firing Polian because of personal differences it's been one horrible decision after another.

He's also held this city hostage more than once in recent years, including threating to move the Bills in the late 1990's that only of all people, Doug Flutie saved when we met box suite goals.

His selection of Donahoe to run the team set this team back for years on the field, and even though he's most of you guys hero, Marv Levy at age 82 or whatever sure as hell aint no long term answer either. I'm not going to diss Levy because he's one of the greatest chemistry coaches and smartest individuals to ever walk this earth, but he's at least partially clueless when it comes to the GM role. It couldn't have been more obvious that Wilson hired Levy for public damage control.

This interview is bad news and sheds light to the growing possibility that the Bills will move once he dies. What does he give a ****, he'll be dead already.

At his age, there is NO REASON he can't find a new owner while he's still alive and at least physicall competent. He can work with that owner(s) until he's comfortable stepping down or passes away.

In a nutshell, Ralph Wilson is an *******, and I dont care what anybody says. Phil did make a good point.. If the league has let Cleveland, LA and Baltimore move-- what the hell is to say they wont let an owner move away Buffalo?

Dr. Lecter
06-17-2007, 01:38 PM
I"ll be the first to admit I'm overly critical of this team at times, and especially the front office.. Sometimes a point turns into an annoying rant, I get cremated for it, and at least sometimes its deserved.

But when It comes to my disdain Ralph Wilson i will not stop, and the reason I won't is because when it comes to him, I am right.

THis isn't the Ralph Wilson of 15 years ago.. He's a terrible owner, and he's even worse in today's more economically rising NFL.

Since the mid 1980's, he's only made one great decision, that's hire Bill Polian. Polian brought in Marv Levy and was the architect of the drafts and trades that put Buffalo on the map. After firing Polian because of personal differences it's been one horrible decision after another.

He's also held this city hostage more than once in recent years, including threating to move the Bills in the late 1990's that only of all people, Doug Flutie saved when we met box suite goals.

His selection of Donahoe to run the team set this team back for years on the field, and even though he's most of you guys hero, Marv Levy at age 82 or whatever sure as hell aint no long term answer either. I'm not going to diss Levy because he's one of the greatest chemistry coaches and smartest individuals to ever walk this earth, but he's at least partially clueless when it comes to the GM role. It couldn't have been more obvious that Wilson hired Levy for public damage control.

This interview is bad news and sheds light to the growing possibility that the Bills will move once he dies. What does he give a ****, he'll be dead already.

At his age, there is NO REASON he can't find a new owner while he's still alive and at least physicall competent. He can work with that owner(s) until he's comfortable stepping down or passes away.

In a nutshell, Ralph Wilson is an *******, and I dont care what anybody says. Phil did make a good point.. If the league has let Cleveland, LA and Baltimore move-- what the hell is to say they wont let an owner move away Buffalo?

No he is not and your hatred for him and the way you have practically wished death on him more than once is more than disturbing.

We can around and around on this. You hate the man and have it clear more than once you want him to die. Fine. That is your perspective. It still makes you look like an ass.

He did not threaten to move the team, at least not as clearly as many other owners have done.

Fact is most other owners WOULD have moved the team. Try to spin however the **** you want, but that is a fact and you know it is true despite your blind, utter, disprectful hatred for somebody that is sharper, clearer and more of aman than you are or most of us ever will be.

Rant all you want. You will not listen to anybody else. Your Ralph is cheap theory has been blown to bits numerous times. You use the hatred to criticize every move the man makes.

You hate him. Fine.

But on him, you ae wrong again. Just like you were on the Bills FA (Ralph is too cheap to sign any names FA's after signing Kelsay).

Give it a break. Hating somebody as much as you do Ralph is a sign of obsession.

patmoran2006
06-17-2007, 01:43 PM
I dont hope he dies anymore.. There is a better chance now the Bills are gone..

Im not the ONLY one who hopes Wilson is gone soon, I can assure you that.. Im one of the few that have the balls to say it publicly.

Whatever what you want to spin or interpret it.. This organization is better off without Wilson as the owner, period.

Dr. Lecter
06-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Well that is mature and reasonable.

Without him, the Bills were gone the early 70's and again in the 90's.

patmoran2006
06-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I never said I wasnt appreciative of what Wilson has done for Buffalo through the years, NOT ONCE...

But being appreciative only can get you so far. It's a new day and a new NFL and Wilson doesn't have the capacity to be a good NFL owner anymore. If you want the threat of a move every 6 months and a recycled coach, GM and group of young players every 4-5 years; then you can continue to root for Wilson.

I won't be one of them.

Dr. Lecter
06-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Threat of a move every 6 months????

Please provide on iota of evidence that Ralph does that.

BTW, how many teams have coaches that have been with their current team more than 5 years?

dolphan117
06-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Seems like if he really cared about the future of the team he would sell it before his death when he could control who bought it and where it went instead of waiting till he dies and then letting who knows what happen.

TigerJ
06-17-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't think that this is any kind of surprise. The unspoken question, to which Wilson gave no answer, is whether his estate, or whatever entity actually accomplishes the sale will have any instructions from Wilson to favor Western New York interests in any sale or whether it will strictly be to the highest bidder. That would be nice to know.

!Papacrunk!
06-17-2007, 04:09 PM
the toronto bills.. just sounds stupid.

couldn't they still be called the Buffalo Bills no matter where they go since they were named after Buffalo Bill Cody himself, right? In that case they'd be called the Toronto Buffalo Bills

Generalissimus Gibby
06-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Good News everybody, I did my bid and bought 25 tickets to win the powerball jackpot, WNYers please do the same in the Mega Millions pool and well win I win the big prize I will have a cup of coffee with Mr. Kelly and the Guy who owns the Sabres and we will keep the team in WNY provided I get to sit in a luxury suite every game.

Seriously though is the Sabres owner interested in building a monopoly over Buffalo sports or would something like what they have in Green Bay work?

don137
06-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Ing is right no estate tax as it is right now in 2010...Do not want to bring politics into this but the liberals will never do away with the estate tax so unless Ralphs passes away in 2010 and his wife takes over the team the Bills could leave Buffalo as a result.

ajsdx
06-17-2007, 06:58 PM
couldn't they still be called the Buffalo Bills no matter where they go since they were named after Buffalo Bill Cody himself, right? In that case they'd be called the Toronto Buffalo Bills

LOL...I can't tell if that's better or worse...

patmoran2006
06-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Whether you feel its justified or not..

Wilsons' attitude and philosphy has put Buffalo in grave danger of losing this team anytime over the next 1-7 or so years.

its a HUGE story bigger than any personnel move; and it something that I bet will get brushed aside as non-threatening. Guess what though, it is.

raphael120
06-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Stubborness.

It's the only word that comes to mind. Why would you wait til you died to figure out what will happen to the franchise YOU created and YOU owned for the whole time you've been alive? You'd think it's YOUR baby you would want to know it was in good hands?

I just don't get it. If he really loved Buffalo that much and really appreciated the fans that have kept the Bills an ATM for him, he would do something about it. But it's clear he doesn't give two ****s. I think he's just bitter because of many things that have happened, bitter he will probably never see the team he's owned ever win a Super Bowl, bitter he set up shop in a economically stressed area... because he doesnt have a male heir to carry on his name to own it... Who knows.

Michael82
06-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Stubborness.

It's the only word that comes to mind. Why would you wait til you died to figure out what will happen to the franchise YOU created and YOU owned for the whole time you've been alive? You'd think it's YOUR baby you would want to know it was in good hands?

I just don't get it. If he really loved Buffalo that much and really appreciated the fans that have kept the Bills an ATM for him, he would do something about it. But it's clear he doesn't give two ****s. I think he's just bitter because of many things that have happened, bitter he will probably never see the team he's owned ever win a Super Bowl, bitter he set up shop in a economically stressed area... because he doesnt have a male heir to carry on his name to own it... Who knows.
Great post! :bf1:

Dr. Lecter
06-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Great post! :bf1:

Wrong.

Crappy post.

Once again: If he did not care about the area, he would have moved long ago or would move now. Or he would jack up ticket prices to the league average and then use that as an excuse to move the team.

But I guess if people treated me like some people here treat Ralph, I would wonder why I do care.

People want Ralph to run the team like a fan. He is not just a fan. He is also an owenr and business man. I am sick of seeing people telling him wha to charge for tickets and how he should run his business from a business (not football) standpoint.

Michael82
06-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Wrong.

Crappy post.

Once again: If he did not care about the area, he would have moved long ago or would move now. Or he would jack up ticket prices to the league average and then use that as an excuse to move the team.

But I guess if people treated me like some people here treat Ralph, I would wonder why I do care.

People want Ralph to run the team like a fan. He is not just a fan. He is also an owenr and business man. I am sick of seeing people telling him wha to charge for tickets and how he should run his business from a business (not football) standpoint.
I guess you are right. I think Ralph has too much pride to sell the team and it's a shame because he could do what Rooney did in Pittsburgh and Lamar Hunt did in Kansas City and set it up so there already is a minority owner and then it would help keep the team in Buffalo. But reading these quotes that came out of his mouth make me think that he has too much pride to do it and now we might lose the team.... :ill:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
06-17-2007, 11:16 PM
you guys better hope a frikkin Democarat does not get in the white house when ralph dies... the estate tax is the libs golden calf

feldspar
06-18-2007, 01:06 AM
I did some research...

If the team were to relocate, I would actually start to root against them. That's it. If I watched football anymore at all, it would be to root against "the former Buffalo team." You know they wouldn't be called "the Bills" anymore, and they would have different uniforms. Most importantly, they would be in a different city. Screw them totally if they were to move.

The history of NFL teams' relocating is pretty interesting. Every single city that lost a team to relocation after 1934 has regained a team...Houston, Cleveland, Baltimore, Oakland, St. Louis...even Chicago and Boston. In other words, no city has ever really permanently lost a pro football team for 73 years.

1937: Boston Redskins move to Washington, D.C.
1946: Cleveland Rams move to Los Angeles
1960: Chicago Cardinals move to St. Louis
1982: Oakland Raiders move to Los Angeles
1984: Baltimore Colts move to Indianapolis
1988: St. Louis Cardinals move to Phoenix
1995: Los Angeles Rams move to St. Louis
1995: Los Angeles Raiders move back to Oakland
1996: Cleveland Browns move to Baltimore
1997: Houston Oilers move to Tennessee

The scary thing is that pro football teams have relocated 12 times. But again, if you study this list, you will see that no city has permanently lost a team for 73 years. Not on the list is Decatur, Illinois, who lost their team (the Decatur Staleys) in 1921, and moved to Chicago (the Chicago Bears)...but that's close enough for Staley fans to continue to call the Bears their team. Then the Portsmouth (Ohio) Spartans became the Detroit Lions in 1934; they are the only team to relocate permanently without ever getting another team in the future.

I agree that Ralph is keeping the team to himself for selfish reasons. He should do all he can to assure that the Bills remain in Buffalo. The man is 88 years old for Christ's sake. This sitution is going to come to a head in five years if we're lucky.

Another thing is - Los Angeles has had 2 teams in the past, and they couldn't handle that. I know they are a big market, but why is everyone so psyched about that city. It doesn't have a good track record. They lost both of their teams in the same year (1995). Now governor Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger wants 2 more teams...screw that.

Anyway, the Bills will be a lot harder to move if they are a winning team. We need to step up soon.<!-- / message -->

Night Train
06-18-2007, 05:27 AM
Or maybe he DOES have a plan and sees no need to blab it to a local ragsheet.

HHURRICANE
06-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Stubborness.

Because if he dies, and his wife and family sell to the highest bidder, than it looks like good old Ralph did his best to keep it here. Even though he'll being telling his wife and children "screw Buffalo get the highest money you can."

Michael82
06-18-2007, 08:18 AM
I did some research...

If the team were to relocate, I would actually start to root against them. That's it. If I watched football anymore at all, it would be to root against "the former Buffalo team." You know they wouldn't be called "the Bills" anymore, and they would have different uniforms. Most importantly, they would be in a different city. Screw them totally if they were to move.<!-- / message -->

If the Buffalo Bills moved, I would root against the NFL and hate the league for doing it and I would blame them. I would sign whatever petitions circulate to bring a team back and would protest the NFL as much as I can.

Wys Guy
06-18-2007, 08:30 AM
I have been down on Wilson for a while and know how real big money thinks and this is not good.

It sure isn't, especially the way he runs the team. I would say he should hire someone to run his team, but he did that and we got Donadope.

Sadly, we can't trust Wilson either to make moves to create a winner.

Doesn't sound good for anyone hoping that the Bills will actually be good before they leave Buffalo.

patmoran2006
06-18-2007, 08:33 AM
He bought the team for 25 grand and today the franchise is worth 627 million.

Cash in your chips........ Enjoy the last few years of your life

BidsJr
06-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Ing is right no estate tax as it is right now in 2010...Do not want to bring politics into this but the liberals will never do away with the estate tax so unless Ralphs passes away in 2010 and his wife takes over the team the Bills could leave Buffalo as a result.

Estate Tax only applies if he gives it to his daughters.

If his wife gets it the tax doesn't apply.

And BTW this site used to be great.

G. Host
06-18-2007, 09:13 AM
How many people would sell a portion of their estate just to have it taxed again and what cause? Ralph is getting financial advice for his family first and my family comes before anyone else as well. If his wife wanted to own the team even as a custodian for his daughters, then he would leave it to them.

How many people here would give away a portion of their estate for a cause when your family does not want them to do? Raise your hands or be hypocritical!

Ralph has been fighting for the viability of small franchises. The gang of three (Cra$t, $nyder & Jone$) has been saying that new owners are NOT entitled to benefits (revenue sharing mostly) so even if Ralph brought in a minority partner with right of first refusal which stood up in court it does not mean that the new owner would be entitled to revenue sharing OR financing for a new stadium.

Personally if I was Ralph I would not be too worried about "disappointing" people based on how little respect he gets from those who should be supporters. With supporters like those his business would fall down in a minute.

G. Host
06-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Oh and to those who want to inject politics into this I suggest fork a thread into Spin Zone.

FinFaninBuffalo
06-18-2007, 06:05 PM
You guys are acting like this is news. It has been widely speculated for years that Wilson's hiers would have no choice but to sell the team.

Elminster
06-18-2007, 06:20 PM
You guys are acting like this is news. It has been widely speculated for years that Wilson's hiers would have no choice but to sell the team.
Yet they still run around like headless chickens, rip the guy who could've moved away a long-time ago and made way more money than he is now, for looking after his family...

FinFaninBuffalo
06-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Yet they still run around like headless chickens, rip the guy who could've moved away a long-time ago and made way more money than he is now, for looking after his family...

It may still be bought by someone who will keep them in Buffalo, but who can say if anyone will come forward who wants the keep the team in Buffalo. All Wilson is saying is the truth. I didn't see the Buffalo News article, so I don't know what raised the issue again.

G. Host
06-18-2007, 09:53 PM
What brought it up were presistant questions by and rumors circulated by the press and the wannabee press. He decided to put it on the record clearly and without a spin. It is an old school way of dealing with it rather than then play thr press with leaks.

He wants this season to be on the Bills not on him.

finsrclowns
06-19-2007, 11:42 AM
I really can't understand Ralph's position on this at all. Why not put the team up for sale now and see if there is a local group willing to make a competitive offer? If someone that wants to move the team to LA offers 627m and another group wants to keep the team here and offers 600m, that should be close enough. Does it really matter to his family? They'll be getting a king's ransom anyway. If he waits until he's taking his lunch from a dribble cup it'll be too late. He's had a great run and he's been good for Buffalo. But it's time to think about the locals and not his own ego at age 88.

patmoran2006
06-19-2007, 12:25 PM
I really can't understand Ralph's position on this at all. Why not put the team up for sale now and see if there is a local group willing to make a competitive offer? If someone that wants to move the team to LA offers 627m and another group wants to keep the team here and offers 600m, that should be close enough. Does it really matter to his family? They'll be getting a king's ransom anyway. If he waits until he's taking his lunch from a dribble cup it'll be too late. He's had a great run and he's been good for Buffalo. But it's time to think about the locals and not his own ego at age 88.
GREAT post.

PECKERWOOD
06-19-2007, 01:12 PM
I think somebody will come along and keep the team in Buffalo. Either way I'm not going to worry about it though because it's not in my control.

SABURZFAN
06-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Without him, the Bills were gone the early 70's and again in the 90's.

the 70's?????????

puuuuuuuuuhleeeeeease.he used the team as a writeoff for his taxes.the NFL became a cash cow in the 90's. he threatened the city and fans of buffalo to move,only to line his pockets.either way,he got what he wanted.that's more than i can say for Bills fans in the last 7 years.

Dr. Lecter
06-19-2007, 10:00 PM
He could have moved to Seattle in 1973, when Rich Stadium was built.

YardRat
06-19-2007, 10:08 PM

Because Ralph doesn't want to pay the capital gains taxes on the sale...he'd rather stick his kids with the estate taxes.

SABURZFAN
06-19-2007, 11:30 PM
He could have moved to Seattle in 1973, when Rich Stadium was built.

could have but it wasn't a hop,skip,or jump from Michigan either.

feldspar
06-20-2007, 12:31 AM

Yeah.

It looks like Ralph doesn't care about what happens to the team after he dies. More than that, he's acting like he is not going to feel responsible for what happens to the team after he dies...and that's the part that ticks me off. If the Bills move out of Buffalo, it'll be entirely Ralph's fault, even though it'll be over "his dead body." Is he that stubborn? Is he senile? By not even trying to sell the team while he is alive, he is at least half-way digging the Buffalo Bills' grave. He must know that. How can he look us in the eye knowing this?

Michael82
06-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Yeah.

It looks like Ralph doesn't care about what happens to the team after he dies. More than that, he's acting like he is not going to feel responsible for what happens to the team after he dies...and that's the part that ticks me off. If the Bills move out of Buffalo, it'll be entirely Ralph's fault, even though it'll be over "his dead body." Is he that stubborn? Is he senile? By not even trying to sell the team while he is alive, he is at least half-way digging the Buffalo Bills' grave. He must know that. How can he look us in the eye knowing this?
Look at what Lamar Hunt did before he died. He sold part of the team and set it up to stay in KC. I'm still shocked that Ralph won't be doing anything like this and is being greedy and selfish. :mad:

Dr. Lecter
06-20-2007, 07:29 AM
I love how people think that should have a say in how other people run a private business.

finsrclowns
06-20-2007, 12:51 PM
I love how people think that should have a say in how other people run a private business.

We don't have a say. Is Ralph polling the fans on what his plans should be? Sure doesn't look that way. But that doesn't mean we're not entitled to our opinions just as you are to yours. A football team isn't like a boat or a house or some other purely private posession anyway. It's a public institution which to have value needs a thriving group of partners committed to making a group enterprise work.

It also needs one other thing; it needs loyal fans to buy tickets and product. The NFL and yes, the city of Buffalo has made Ralph Wilson famous and rich beyond his wildest dreams. Up to now it's been a two way street of love and respect between the fans of Buffalo and Ralph. But if Ralph leaves the future of the team to some random bidding after he's gone just so he can hold on to the bitter end as sole owner I say shame on him. At the end of the day Ralph can do what he wants, no one is saying he can't, but that doesn't make it right.

Michael82
06-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Come on! what a load of ****! For everything that the fans have put up with and Buffalo and Erie county have paid for....I don't see why we shouldn't be able to speak our mind and help keep the team here. :rolleyes:

Michael82
06-20-2007, 01:11 PM
We don't have a say. Is Ralph polling the fans on what his plans should be? Sure doesn't look that way. But that doesn't mean we're not entitled to our opinions just as you are to yours. A football team isn't like a boat or a house or some other purely private posession anyway. It's a public institution which to have value needs a thriving group of partners committed to making a group enterprise work.

It also needs one other thing; it needs loyal fans to buy tickets and product. The NFL and yes, the city of Buffalo has made Ralph Wilson famous and rich beyond his wildest dreams. Up to now it's been a two way street of love and respect between the fans of Buffalo and Ralph. But if Ralph leaves the future of the team to some random bidding after he's gone just so he can hold on to the bitter end as sole owner I say shame on him. At the end of the day Ralph can do what he wants, no one is saying he can't, but that doesn't make it right.
Excellent Post! :bf1:

henrybacker
06-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Fact is most other owners WOULD have moved the team. Try to spin however the **** you want, but that is a fact and you know it is true despite your blind, utter, disprectful hatred for somebody that is sharper, clearer and more of aman than you are or most of us ever will be.

Kind of unwarranted personal attacks to a reasonable post which had nothing to do with you. Odd to come from a moderator. Moderators as you know are the tonesetters.

Dr. Lecter
06-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Come on! what a load of ****! For everything that the fans have put up with and Buffalo and Erie county have paid for....I don't see why we shouldn't be able to speak our mind and help keep the team here. :rolleyes:

Of course we can speak our mind. But wanting to tell Ralph to run the business side and tell him that he has to sell is a bit much.