X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TMAC24McGee
    • Oct 2006

Wilson says Bills to be sold after his death

The first and only owner of the Buffalo Bills has no plans to sell the team in his lifetime.

BUFFALO, N.Y. ---- The first and only owner of the Buffalo Bills has no plans to sell the team in his lifetime.
    Ralph Wilson told The Buffalo News that the team will be sold after he dies and that he does not plan to leave the Bills to his wife, Mary.
    "I think she's capable and she could do it, but it would be tough," the 88--year--old said. "My daughters are interested in the game, but they're not going to own the team."
    Wilson knows the future of the Bills is a concern for fans, who don't want an outsider to buy the team and move it to another city.
    "It is the situation as it always has been [the team] will be sold," Wilson said. "It hasn't changed. I know the people are jumpy there. But I get jumpy the more I hear about it."
    If Wilson did leave the team to his daughters they would likely struggle to pay estate taxes -- 45 percent of the value of the franchise -- on the team valued at about $600 million.
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: ESPN: Wilson says Bills not for sale

try a franchise last year valued at over $710 mil...and only going up. It will take a huge move by a major consortium of local richies to buy that team.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Wilson says Bills to be sold after his death

The first and only owner of the Buffalo Bills has no plans to sell the team in his lifetime.

Ralph Wilson told The Buffalo News that the team will be sold after he dies and that he does not plan to leave the Bills to his wife, Mary.

“I think she’s capable and she could do it, but it would be tough,” the 88-year-old said. “My daughters are interested in the game, but they’re not going to own the team.”

Wilson knows the future of the Bills is a concern for fans, who don’t want an outsider to buy the team and move it to another city.

“It is the situation as it always has been (the team) will be sold,” Wilson said. “It hasn’t changed. I know the people are jumpy there. But I get jumpy the more I hear about it.”

If Wilson did leave the team to his daughters they would likely struggle to pay estate taxes — 45 percent of the value of the franchise — on the team valued at about $600 million.

Wilson said it’s possible that the next owner could be someone who would want to keep the Bills in Buffalo, but he’s not willing to speculate beyond that.

“There’s so much liquidity that’s floating around the country now,” Wilson said. “Look at the stock market, it’s gone up, up, up. It’s not on dividends. Somebody hopes they’ll buy a stock and somebody will come along and pay them a little more for it. So they’ll sell it. You don’t know. There may be somebody who will come along in Buffalo and buy it. You can’t tell. I can’t guess the future and nobody can.”
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Re: Wilson says Bills to be sold after his death

Oooops, my bad.

Could a mod please either delete this thread, or merge it with tmac's?

Thanks in advance.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

Done.

Sad news too.

Comment

• shelby
            The Vanilla admin
            • Jul 2002

That ing sucks.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

I'm gonna start rolling the coins in my 'mad money' jar.

If I'm a couple of bucks short, anybody wanna chip in?
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• njsue
                Jersey Girl!!!!!!
                • Sep 2003

Let me pull some $ out from my mattress.

Comment

• Romes
                  • Jul 2002

great...there is going to be so much confusion, rumors, worry, and panic among Bills fans when he passes...as if there isn't enough of that already about this team moving.

Maybe I am missing something but this appears to me like a completley selfish move by Wilson.
                  Originally posted by paladin warrior
                  RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

****ing estate tax
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

I actually see some positive in this. Wilson's wife or children would be taxed out the ying-yang if they were to inherit the team. I don't think his girls are capable of handling that kind of financial stress. With this announced, potential suitors can now start aligning funds to move on the team when that sad day comes. That also gives local guys like Golsiano an opportunity or two as well. This might not be such a bad thing.

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Romes
                        great...there is going to be so much confusion, rumors, worry, and panic among Bills fans when he passes...as if there isn't enough of that already about this team moving.

Maybe I am missing something but this appears to me like a completley selfish move by Wilson.
                        yeah it is. VERY SELFISH!

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

“There’s so much liquidity that’s floating around the country now,” Wilson said. “Look at the stock market, it’s gone up, up, up. It’s not on dividends. Somebody hopes they’ll buy a stock and somebody will come along and pay them a little more for it. So they’ll sell it. You don’t know. There may be somebody who will come along in Buffalo and buy it. You can’t tell. I can’t guess the future and nobody can.”
                          I hate that last quote. It sounds like total greed and sounds to me like highest bidder wins....which equals.... Buffalo Bills

Comment

• ddaryl
                            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                            • Jan 2005

If it wasn't for Ralph Wilson the Bills would have more then likely moved away from Buffalo a decade ago and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

But in typical Buffalonian fashion we will here the extreme pessimistic side of the situation and nobody will allow themselves to believe it'll be alright in the end.

Have some faith

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

i cant imagine the bills anywhere but buffalo.. so i really cant think about them being somewhere else.

the toronto bills.. just sounds stupid.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X