Instead of NFLE, or Arena Football for that matter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PromoTheRobot
    • Sep 2003

Instead of NFLE, or Arena Football for that matter...

The NFL is seriously thinking of disbanding NFL Europa after this season. From a player development standpoint, NFLE is a success. From a revenue standpoint, it's a failure.

Could NFL teams make more money by fielding spring teams at home? This would allow them to make maximum use of their facilities year round, keep fan interest up, develop varsity players, develop coaches, and just make the NFL a 365-day enterprise, which it practically is now.

If you took the best players from NFLE and the Arena leagues, you could put together a watchable product. I'm sure the NFL could find a TV contract, or put the games on NFL Network.

If the Bills had a JV squad playing at RWS, and tickets were around $20, would you go?

PTR
    10 Commandments of the D
    1. Never stop Rocking.
    2. Legalize all drugs.
    3. Quit your day job.
    4. All Religion should be taxed.
    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
    6. F**k her gently.
    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Instead of NFLE, or Arena Football for that matter...

I would be in complete favor of this idea. You would then also expand the draft back out to 12 rounds, and field a team of rookies and UDFA's along with some other developmental prospects to make your team. They play July-Nov, this way they are in tip top shape and the best players from the JV teams can be brought up for a late season run, or for a non-playoff team for some varsity seasoning.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
      I would be in complete favor of this idea. You would then also expand the draft back out to 12 rounds, and field a team of rookies and UDFA's along with some other developmental prospects to make your team. They play July-Nov, this way they are in tip top shape and the best players from the JV teams can be brought up for a late season run, or for a non-playoff team for some varsity seasoning.
      Not sure if having the JV season overlap with the varsity is feasable. Better to wrap things up by NFL training camps. Then there is the burn-out factor. Many NFLE players needed a year off before being ready for the NFL. I doubt this could be like hockey or baseball farm teams with players moving up and down during simultaneous seasons.

But I agree with all your other points. Expand the draft, take the best remaining UDFA's and field your teams. Pay a standard contract. No negotiating.

PTR
      10 Commandments of the D
      1. Never stop Rocking.
      2. Legalize all drugs.
      3. Quit your day job.
      4. All Religion should be taxed.
      5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
      6. F**k her gently.
      7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
      8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
      9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
      10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
        Not sure if having the JV season overlap with the varsity is feasable. Better to wrap things up by NFL training camps. Then there is the burn-out factor. Many NFLE players needed a year off before being ready for the NFL. I doubt this could be like hockey or baseball farm teams with players moving up and down during simultaneous seasons.

But I agree with all your other points. Expand the draft, take the best remaining UDFA's and field your teams. Pay a standard contract. No negotiating.

PTR

So you'd advocate the NFL team carries 86 players? I think the seasons need to run concurrently but would need to be staggered, ala Minor League Baseball. Football fans could live with only 3 months of no football at all.
        COMING SOON...

Comment

• Dozerdog
          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

I ran this up the flagpole a few times in the past-

1- Disban NFLE

2- Create an 8 team minor league that plays a 10 game season & a championship game (Just like NFLE)

3A- Each NFL division will be responsible for stocking a team (An AFC East Team, NFC East Team, ect...) Each team in the Division (For example- Bills/Jets/Fins/Pats) are required to supply 10 players each. Rosters will be smaller so everyone plays significant time.

3B- Same as above, but instead of divisions, the teams are stocked by region
          (NE, NY Giants, NY Jets, Buffalo) (Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, Atlanta) (Philly, DC, Balt, Carolina). That way regional fans can see their team's prospects

4- Teams are located in smaller markets that for the most part are near the parent clubs (Syracuse or Hartford, Orlando, San Antonio, Columbus, Birmingham, Las Vegas, Des Moines, Portland OR, Richmond for instance)

5- Move the NFL draft up a month to Mid March

6- NFL "Jr" plays April Thru July

Here are all the benefits-

Develop full time officials- as the NFL uses guys now that are only part timers. This keeps them employed year round

Test new rules & technology

Develop minority coaching and front office candidates

Clubs could potentially send late round picks & / or current year UDFA's for work to these minor league clubs. An Edwards or Beck can get QB development sooner than later.

NFL Jr. could even manipulate the schedule to have some "Bye weeks" so teams can have their prospects back for May & June Mini camps

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Or just buy up the CFL, add some american teams, change the schedule so it does not compete, and make it into american rules football

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

See I think the schedule need to run concurrently with the NFL but staggered ala Minor League baseball. Play the games on Wednesday nights (Thursday Night-College and Pro Football, Friday Night-Local High School Football, Saturday and Sunday's we know about) so you can get TV rights and you know they'd land a nice deal. Run it July-Nov, so that when the Jr season is over the top players get the "call" up to the NFL and can help a team on a playoff run.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

I live over here in Europe right now and NFLE sucks over here. They are trying to give away the tickets to get people to go. These idiots are too hung up on gay ass soccer.

A few of my friends went to a game in Frankfurt and they said that more than half the stadium was empty. There was just no excitement.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                  Or just buy up the CFL, add some american teams, change the schedule so it does not compete, and make it into american rules football
                  Anti Trust laws would not alow them to do this.

Spring could be time for NALL BALL BABY!!!

Comment

• G. Host
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                    Leave CFL alone. likes their sport, their own championships, etc. And it gives players who choose not to go in NFL an alternate. NFL, Jr is not an alternate.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                      See I think the schedule need to run concurrently with the NFL but staggered ala Minor League baseball. Play the games on Wednesday nights (Thursday Night-College and Pro Football, Friday Night-Local High School Football, Saturday and Sunday's we know about) so you can get TV rights and you know they'd land a nice deal. Run it July-Nov, so that when the Jr season is over the top players get the "call" up to the NFL and can help a team on a playoff run.
                      That would water it down. Most minor league cities have a major college presence. No one will go to see minor league football if there is any competition- especially on weekdays. April thru July baseball is the only major competition.

On top of that- Football is not really a "call up" sport like Baseball, hockey- even basketball. It is very rare and only out of desperation players get pulled off the street and play any role in a game the same week. Playbooks are way to thick and each team has different terminology.

It is more of a development sport. Now one can argue playing 10 games in the spring then to play 20 games August thru December is wayyyyy to much. But then again- most of these NFL Jr players will be carying clipboards and riding the pine most of the games at the NFL level so wear and tear isn't an issue

Comment

• G. Host
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2002

Giving them a year seniority for sitting on their butt is an issue. Not all teams will not be willing to carry them so long after paying them for NFL, Jr season too. Some will be getting more than players who played entire regular season.

I agree that any NFL, jr season needs to run a different time than college football.

Comment

• Generalissimus Gibby
                          Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
                          • Jun 2006

I'd be all for an NFL Farm team system.

20 teams in two conferences of two divisions and five teams each

Cities:

Eastern Conference:
                          North:
                          Toronto
                          Hartford
                          Columbus
                          Albany

South:
                          Richmond
                          Birmingham
                          Lousville
                          Shreveport

Western Conference:
                          North:
                          Portland
                          Boise
                          Salt Lake City
                          Oklahoma City

South:
                          Las Vegas
                          Los Angeles
                          Hawaii
                          San Antonio

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by thenewfreshness
                            I'd be all for an NFL Farm team system.

20 teams in two conferences of two divisions and five teams each

Cities:

Eastern Conference:
                            North:
                            Toronto
                            Hartford
                            Columbus
                            Albany

South:
                            Richmond
                            Birmingham
                            Lousville
                            Shreveport

Western Conference:
                            North:
                            Portland
                            Boise
                            Salt Lake City
                            Oklahoma City

South:
                            Las Vegas
                            Los Angeles
                            Hawaii
                            San Antonio

I think the MOST you can have is maybe a dozen- there isn't enough talent out there to stock these teams. Is Travis Brown going to come out of retirement to play?

Comment

• Meathead
                              Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                              • Jul 2002

id watch any tv games and prolly go see a few
                              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
                              X