PDA

View Full Version : Briere Vs. Drury Debate

phishhead220
06-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Hey guys, I write a blog at MVN about the Sabres and Bills. Since the Briere vs. Drury issue is a hot topic, my co-writer Justin and I decided to do a debate on the issue. I take Briere's side and since he's a BU student he takes Drury's.

I think it came out nicely and encourage you to check it out, I don't want to post it all here and fill up the page so here's a link:

http://mvn.com/nhl-sabres/2007/06/17/the-great-buffalo-debate-briere-vs-drury/

We encourage commenting with your thoughts on the great debate at the bottom of the post.

Thanks

Philagape
06-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Drury came up big in the first two rounds, and Briere was a disappointment, so that swayed me toward Drury. But then a team under Drury's leadership fell to pieces against Ottawa, so that negated his biggest asset.
I want both back, even if it costs depth. So we'll have three good lines instead of four. Who's on Anaheim's fourth line again?

Michael82
06-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Drury came up big in the first two rounds, and Briere was a disappointment, so that swayed me toward Drury. But then a team under Drury's leadership fell to pieces against Ottawa, so that negated his biggest asset.
I want both back, even if it costs depth. So we'll have three good lines instead of four. Who's on Anaheim's fourth line again?
Excellent post! :bf1:

RockStar36
06-18-2007, 03:58 PM
I've been pulling for Drury since the day he came to Buffalo. He's by far my fav. Sabre. He may not have the numbers that Briere has but he leads by example. I still remember the moment in the NYR series (I think) where he fell over about 3 different times blocking the puck in front of Miller. I can't remember one time that I saw Briere lay down in front of a puck. Not saying that he has to do that to prove leadership, but I think when players see Drury do whatever it is neccessary to win it shows more. That's just my opinion though.

tampabay25690
06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Im pulling for DRURY. A pure leader, nothing against Briere at all

Michael82
06-19-2007, 12:46 AM
again....my question is...what did Drury lead the team to in the Eastern Conference Finals? Especially the first 3 games.... :ill:

RockStar36
06-19-2007, 12:47 AM
What did any Sabre do in the first 3 games? To put that all on Drury's shoulders doesn't quite make sense to me.

Michael82
06-19-2007, 12:56 AM
i'm just saying....you guys are all saying that he's such a leader and leads by example. Well, maybe we would have won if he played a little harder against Ottawa. His example sucked in the first 3 games. :ill:

But he did turn it around in game 4 and game 5 and showed what a tough, vet with lots of grit that he is when he came back from the injury in game 5. :up:

CuseJetsFan83
06-19-2007, 05:50 AM
the only ones that seemed to show up for that series were miller and drury, some of hte other players showed flashes, but that was about it.... but enough about the past...........

drury may leave for the money, but he has his cup already, and honestly he's earned that right to go for what he wants, greed or glory.....

briere im still kinda a wash with... i just hope we dont lose zubrus and vanek, those are the 2 key pieces in my opinion

chernobylwraiths
06-19-2007, 06:12 AM
again....my question is...what did Drury lead the team to in the Eastern Conference Finals? Especially the first 3 games.... :ill:

I thought there were TWO captains on the team. Oh yeah, Briere is the other one.

Another thing, Drury CONSTANTLY had different linemates throughout the season and Briere pretty much had his in tact for the whole season. Drury can only do so much.

Philagape
06-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Oh so Drury is the unquestioned leader EXCEPT when things go wrong LOL

With leadership comes responsibility. If Drury "owns the locker room" and is this great leader, then he's accountable when the team shows up totally unprepared and shellshocked.

I don't think Drury would pass the buck and make excuses like his fans do.

Michael82
06-19-2007, 10:56 AM

With leadership comes responsibility. If Drury "owns the locker room" and is this great leader, then he's accountable when the team shows up totally unprepared and shellshocked.

Great post! :bf1:

chernobylwraiths
06-19-2007, 11:16 AM

I'm only pointing out that Drury was supposedly one of two captains on the team, but when things went wrong, they pointed to Drury as the person that should have fixed it.

Anybody who thinks that Drury didn't give his all in the playoffs is ***** high.

Hey Mikey, take a stand! You originally wanted Briere but switched to Drury in the playoffs. So who is it?

Michael82
06-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm only pointing out that Drury was supposedly one of two captains on the team, but when things went wrong, they pointed to Drury as the person that should have fixed it.

Anybody who thinks that Drury didn't give his all in the playoffs is ***** high.

Hey Mikey, take a stand! You originally wanted Briere but switched to Drury in the playoffs. So who is it?
I definitely want them both first. I think losing either of them will hurt. But I am leaning towards keeping Drury first as long as he wants to be here. However, it's so close it's not funny. And I will also say that either way, we are going to miss the other guy. and it kills me how many people think that we can lose Briere and won't miss a beat. For me, it's a tough decision because both players play their part and both are really good!

Michael82
06-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Oh and just for the record...Drury did NOT give it his all in the ECF until the team got desperate. Hell, he only has 1 ****ing assist in the 4 games that we lost in against the Senators. :yawn:

And guess what Briere had....

1 goal and 2 assists. :::

chernobylwraiths
06-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh and just for the record...Drury did NOT give it his all in the ECF until the team got desperate. Hell, he only has 1 ****ing assist in the 4 games that we lost in against the Senators. :yawn:

And guess what Briere had....

1 goal and 2 assists. :::

Do you base everything on stats?

Michael82
06-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Do you base everything on stats?
nope, but even Drury himself would be upset with the way he played in the first 3 games. :::

CuseJetsFan83
06-19-2007, 03:59 PM
nope, but every Drury himself would be upset with the way he played in the first 3 games. :::

he was, hence he had that quote about how they have to toughen up and not give up, hence games 4 and 5 and to an extent 6 were so gritty

RockStar36
06-19-2007, 04:05 PM
nope, but every Drury himself would be upset with the way he played in the first 3 games. :::

The whole team should be upset with the way they played the first three games.

Since we're getting technical, if it wasn't for Drury they most likely wouldn't have survived the NYR series to even see the Sens.

Michael82
06-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Anyways, the point is all moot anyways because I believe that Drury has one foot out the door already, hopefully via trade...so they still get something for him. :pray:

And if he does go, they better throw money at Briere and try to keep Zubrus.

Bill Brasky
06-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Drury came up big in the first two rounds, and Briere was a disappointment

how was he a dissapointment? he had 15 pts in the post season.

Philagape
06-19-2007, 06:34 PM
how was he a dissapointment? he had 15 pts in the post season.

He could have done better

BSU Drew
06-21-2007, 12:13 AM
This shouldnt even be a debate. Drury is the heart and soul of this team. It would be great to keep both but if we kept just Briere it would be a shame.

Philagape
06-21-2007, 08:12 AM
The team had no heart or soul in the playoffs