PDA

View Full Version : Flyers acquire free-agent gems Hartnell, Timonen

tampabay25690
06-18-2007, 04:33 PM
PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Flyers acquired defenseman Kimmo Timonen and forward Scott Hartnell from the Nashville Predators on Monday, improving a team that finished last in the NHL.

The Predators get a first-round pick -- the same one they sent to the Flyers to acquire Peter Forsberg -- for Timonen and Hartnell, who were to become unrestricted free agents July 1.

Both players have reportedly agreed to six-year contracts with Philadelphia. Timonen's deal is for $37.8 million and Hartnell's for $25.2 million.

Timonen had 13 goals and 42 assists and a plus/minus rating of plus-20 last season. The 32-year-old will bolster a blue line that had significant problems last season. The versatile Hartnell had 22 goals and 17 assists. He can play either wing spot.

The Flyers still hold the No. 2 pick in the NHL draft that begins Friday night. They are coming off a woeful season (22-48-12) after years of success. The Flyers missed the playoffs for the first time since 1994 and set team records for most losses and fewest points (56).

In all, Philadelphia used a team-record 49 players last season, including 15 rookies.

One of the league's top puck-moving defensemen, Timonen has 79 goals and 222 assists in eight seasons with Nashville. He is minus-6 for his career, playing mostly on a team that struggled.

The 25-year-old Hartnell was the sixth overall pick by Nashville in 2000. He has 93 goals, 118 assists in six seasons with the Predators.

It's the first time uncertainty over the Predators' future ownership has affected the roster of a team that posted a franchise-best 110 points and finished third in the NHL this season. Craig Leipold has accepted a deal to sell the team for $220 million to Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie, a deal not expected to be considered at the NHL board of governors' meeting Wednesday.

A local group interested in buying the team reportedly is preparing to make an offer if Balsillie's falls through. A June 30 deadline has been set to complete the sale.

General manager David Poile has not been able to settle on his budget for next season, which made it difficult to re-sign Hartnell or Timonen -- the team captain and an All-Star this season.

"We expected both Scott and Kimmo to be among the most sought-after at their respective positions when the unrestricted free-agent marketplace opens on July 1, and it did not appear as if we were going to be able to sign either player before then," Poile said in a statement.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

RockStar36
06-18-2007, 04:36 PM
According to eklund this could mean the Sabres might deal Drury before July 1st in order to get something in return for him.

tampabay25690
06-18-2007, 05:23 PM
I looks like teams are going to throw some $$$ at these guys this year!!!!!

If we are going to sign either of themit better be sooner then later or THEY ARE 100%%%% Gone from Buffalo...

Sabresbills1
06-18-2007, 10:10 PM
typical Flyers to over pay for players,4.2 for Hartnell give me a break, 6.3 for Timonen, sure he's good, but he's 32.

Imagine how much Campbell will command next season

The Flyers set the bar folks, and it's too high

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-18-2007, 10:20 PM
That is a great move by the Flyers.

camelcowboy
06-18-2007, 10:21 PM
typical Flyers to over pay for players,4.2 for Hartnell give me a break, 6.3 for Timonen, sure he's good, but he's 32.

Imagine how much Campbell will command next season

The Flyers set the bar folks, and it's too high naw, Toronto set the bar last year by giving Kubina 5 mil a year. Montreal giving big money to Markov a few months ago didn't help. Hell we paid Spacek 3.5 mil. The markets crap because NHL teams haven't learned their lesson. The fact the cap is reaching 50 million again is a joke.

camelcowboy
06-18-2007, 10:24 PM
That is a great move by the Flyers. I agree. A low first rounder to lock up two top free agents. I am a big fan of Hartnell, i was hoping the sabres would make a run at him myself. Timmo is very good and by the way alot of defensemen are playing till their 60 it will be a solid deal for the flyers.

Sabresbills1
06-18-2007, 10:27 PM
naw, Toronto set the bar last year by giving Kubina 5 mil a year. Montreal giving big money to Markov a few months ago didn't help. Hell we paid Spacek 3.5 mil. The markets crap because NHL teams haven't learned their lesson. The fact the cap is reaching 50 million again is a joke.

Ok, I can agree with that. But Philly is still ******ed.

THATHURMANATOR
06-19-2007, 08:13 AM
More of the same for the Flyers. Not that they are bad players but they WAY overpaid for older guys again. When will they learn?

chubluv
06-19-2007, 08:18 AM
I agree Thurm. I thought Bobby Clarke was gone. They are still making contract deals like he is still there.

camelcowboy
06-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Hartnell is 25 they youngest UFA ever thanks to the new CBA most of that money is based on potential. Timmonen was one of the better defensemen on the market im sorry guys i see your point but these are not bobby clark moves. These guys can actually skate. With the 2nd overall pick as well, this team is on the rise.

THATHURMANATOR
06-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes they are good players. Just seems as if they overpaid.

camelcowboy
06-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Yes they are good players. Just seems as if they overpaid. Show me a Free agent in the last two years that hasn't been overpaid? I agree, money is out of control and the fact the cap is going up leads me to believe that the NHL will never learn.

don137
06-19-2007, 10:11 AM
How many quality years does a 32 year olf player have left at that merits making 6.2 in hockey? Unfortunately, the Flyers are one of the teams that have a ton of revenue and have no problem paying to the cap. As good as these players are these players are way over priced. Teams that overpay on a consistent basis rarely, if ever, win a championship. Just ask Dan Snyder.

camelcowboy
06-19-2007, 01:12 PM
How many quality years does a 32 year olf player have left at that merits making 6.2 in hockey? Unfortunately, the Flyers are one of the teams that have a ton of revenue and have no problem paying to the cap. As good as these players are these players are way over priced. Teams that overpay on a consistent basis rarely, if ever, win a championship. Just ask Dan Snyder. News flash most of the better defencemen in this league are in there 30's. Pronger, Niedmeyer, Chelios is about a 60 and he's still a very good defense men. Souray is up there, Rivet, Schiender, Tempo, Philly may have signed a 32 year old but for the type of hockey he plays fitness, puck moving, not overally physical he can be a great play in this league for 5 plus years.