PDA

View Full Version : Keeping It Simple - Run And Stop The Run

Night Train
06-19-2007, 04:34 AM
I'm thinking our running game will be improved with Lynch and Wright being added to the mix. With a better OL ( I hope ), the RB's should move the ball better. Plus the quick swing passes seen often during the recent OTA's means Fairchild has more confidence in his players ( especially #7 ) and will open up the playbook a bit more.

On the D side, the jury is out on whether the front 7 can improve in stopping the oppositions ground game. Poz will help in the middle but the DL must improve in getting to the RB's near the LOS.

Believing that everything works off of the running game offensively and defensively, it's the D side I need to see improvement in before predicting how our season will turn out. Camp and pre-season will provide the answers.

I believe I share this basic outlook with many here, correct ?

YardRat
06-19-2007, 05:45 AM
Basically, yes. I would add, though, that I expect a more efficient offense will help the defense improve over last year.

patmoran2006
06-19-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm thinking our running game will be improved with Lynch and Wright being added to the mix. With a better OL ( I hope ), the RB's should move the ball better. Plus the quick swing passes seen often during the recent OTA's means Fairchild has more confidence in his players ( especially #7 ) and will open up the playbook a bit more.

On the D side, the jury is out on whether the front 7 can improve in stopping the oppositions ground game. Poz will help in the middle but the DL must improve in getting to the RB's near the LOS.

Believing that everything works off of the running game offensively and defensively, it's the D side I need to see improvement in before predicting how our season will turn out. Camp and pre-season will provide the answers.

It's the most basic yet important outlook one can have.

I dont think the Bills are going to have problems running the ball. But they're going to have every problem in the world stopping it.

justasportsfan
06-19-2007, 10:50 AM
PLayoffs baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

PECKERWOOD
06-19-2007, 01:30 PM
We're going to win the superbowl this season, that's my bet.

Wys Guy
06-22-2007, 08:26 AM

Why do you think that "the jury is out" whether we can improve in stopping the oppositions' ground game?

We field essentially the same front four as we did last year that failed miserably in that way and really hasn't improved. Schobel is Schobel and if anything will be turning down soon. Kelsay isn't any great run stopper to be sure. Tripplett has proven inadequate in any way now for five seasons and not even starting caliber. McCargo will be lucky just to be able to play most of 16 games. Williams is OK but far from even average.

Toss in a linebacking unit that has almost no experience, and I see little basis for any hope that we can even maintain our statistical rankings for last year let alone improve.

When you factor in that our starting DL averages about 275 lbs., I just see little hope that we won't finish among the worst three teams in stopping the run again.

As to offense, even Edgerin James was worse than McGahee last year behind Arizona's OL which isn't much different than ours, even with Dockery. They also have a lot more talent at WR and QB.

Offensively it's all going to boil down to how well the right side of our line plays. If Fowler, Preston, and Walker can hold their own, we may become an average rushing team. It won't be more than that and if that side of the line doesn't improve by much, we'll be stuck among the bottom 25% of rushing teams again easily.

IMO most people here are going to be ready to heave Levy and Jauron out the door after this season as their folly becomes fully evident.

justasportsfan
06-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Why do you think that "the jury is out" whether we can improve in stopping the oppositions' ground game?

We field essentially the same front four as we did last year that failed miserably in that way and really hasn't improved. Schobel is Schobel and if anything will be turning down soon. Kelsay isn't any great run stopper to be sure. Tripplett has proven inadequate in any way now for five seasons and not even starting caliber. McCargo will be lucky just to be able to play most of 16 games. Williams is OK but far from even average.

Toss in a linebacking unit that has almost no experience, and I see little basis for any hope that we can even maintain our statistical rankings for last year let alone improve.

When you factor in that our starting DL averages about 275 lbs., I just see little hope that we won't finish among the worst three teams in stopping the run again.

As to offense, even Edgerin James was worse than McGahee last year behind Arizona's OL which isn't much different than ours, even with Dockery. They also have a lot more talent at WR and QB.

Offensively it's all going to boil down to how well the right side of our line plays. If Fowler, Preston, and Walker can hold their own, we may become an average rushing team. It won't be more than that and if that side of the line doesn't improve by much, we'll be stuck among the bottom 25% of rushing teams again easily.

IMO most people here are going to be ready to heave Levy and Jauron out the door after this season as their folly becomes fully evident.

but if you take away our opponents biggest run games against us last year, we weren't as bad. :ill:

Yes, the jury is still out with this year.

ublinkwescore
06-23-2007, 07:50 AM

You should stick to making wing sauce.

Brian G
06-23-2007, 09:35 AM
New offensive line, stable of backs that won't get tired, and a variety of short/intermediate passing options (including Evans)... spells ball control to me.

Buffalo will try to control the time of possession all season any way they can. That's what's going to help our defense - keeping them off the field.

X-Era
06-24-2007, 08:53 AM

YES!!!

O will be better on both passing and running, hopefully scoring as well

D is a question mark, should be better, but right now appears to be a bit worse.

Earthquake Enyart
06-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I forgot about the statistical ranking. :ill: