• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Cowher Plotting a return?

From Pro Football Talk......

A league source tells us that there is already talk in league circles that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher is planning his potential return to the NFL. Per the source, Cowher already has spoken with multiple teams about filling a potential vacancy in 2008

The source also says that one of Cowher's demands will be full control over the football operations.

The teams, the source says, are believed to be the Browns, Redskins, and Panthers. Another league source confirms that Cowher has had at least one private discussion with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder about the possibility of replacing Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs, if Gibbs calls it quits after the 2007 season.

We're also told that Cowher has begun the process of discreetly lining up a personnel executive to run the front office, subject to Cowher's final say on all roster moves. Per the source, the list includes Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert, Steelers business operations coordinator Omar Khan, Chiefs executive vice president and COO Denny Thum, and Saints vice president of football administration Russ Ball.
    Is any of this surprising? Yes, but no. With Cowher expected to be the hottest commodity on the coaching market come January 2008, teams that think they might have a coming opening would be stoopid not to commence the process of seeing what it would take to get him.

Money is a key component in this regard. We've yet to hear anything about Cowher's expected salary, but we suspect he's hoping to get at least as much as Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren (who is in the $7.5 million to $8.5 million range), given that Cowher beat the Big Show in the Big Show less than 18 months ago.
    ===================================================
    If I was a betting man, I'd say Cleveland will end up being his destination... Man, I'd love to see this guy take over Buffalo in this capacity in 2008, but that's never going to happen. Even if Buffalo went 0-16 this year and Jauron and Levy quit, we will never pay $7.5 million for a coach/gm.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Cowher Plotting a return?

I am alwasy hesitant about guys who try to GM and coach. It rarely works out and even the best minds have struggled and/or burned out.

I would not want Cowher in both roles.

BTW, I predict Carolina for him so he can be close to home.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

I can see Cleveland really giving him a ton of money to stabilize that franchise.

I always respected Cowher. Almost every Pitt team he ever coached was up there in contention, and Pittsburgh for years continously lost big free agents.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter

BTW, I predict Carolina for him so he can be close to home.
        John Fox gets fired this year and Cowher takes over the following year.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

He will return but a recent NFL Network piece on him showed him watching his daughters play basketball and liking the time spent with family. That made me like him even more. His wife and daughters said he's always a great guy at home. He could pick his NFL job but I bet he could recruit well in College, if he went that route. Plus he would have far more free time.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

He'll go to the Pats after Bellyache retires.

Everyone goes to the Pats.

Comment

• Bulldog
              Top Dog
              • Jan 2003

He'll coach the Giants after they fire Coughlin.
              I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Bulldog
                He'll coach the Giants after they fire Coughlin.
                Good theory and maybe thats why they didnt ****kick Coughlin following last season-- to wait until 2008

Comment

• raphael120
                  Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                  • Oct 2005

For as much crap as Steelers fans give Cowher, he is an awesome coach. I only knew one or two season growing up in Pittsburgh where the Steelers weren't in the playoff run come the last part of the season. That and I love the huge jaw and spit flyin when he's screamin at someone.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Cowher or Schottenheimer will be the Browns HC in 2008. Guarantee it.

Both already have ties to the Cleveland organization and would instantly bring respectability back to a once proud franchise.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                      • Sep 2003

No surprise here. I always knew Cowher wasn't done after he retired. He's just taking a break after finally winning the big game. Coaching, for a guy like that, is in his blood.

Comment

Working...
                      X