PDA

View Full Version : Walker update

justasportsfan
06-19-2007, 03:16 PM
DARWIN WALKER UPDATE: Concerning the nfl.com report on Darwin Walker, it is true that the Bills can in fact demand that he pay the club his $1.4M in base salary for this year since he has already begun not reporting for work (which was initiated when he failed to show for the mandatory minicamp). He also can be fined up to $8,000 for missing the minicamp.

While one GM was quoted as saying he'd take on Walker's contract in a trade with Buffalo, I don't get the sense that too many NFL teams want to make a deal to potentially land $1.4M if Walker doesn't report to their training camp. It's a paltry sum in today's NFL.

Finally I've been asked on my askchris email several times about the Aug. 5 deadline when Walker's rights revert back to the Eagles and the Bills would be compensated with a 6th round pick.

When that deadline arrives the rights to Walker revert back to Philadelphia automatically. It is not Buffalo's option to decide whether to send his rights back, nor is it Walker's right to go back or stay with Buffalo. When August 5th comes, if Walker hasn't reported to the Bills he's a Philadelphia Eagle again and Buffalo gets the Eagles 6th round pick in 2008.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

OpIv37
06-19-2007, 03:20 PM
man this was a ****ing ridiculous trade.

justasportsfan
06-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Kyle "probowl" Williams baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

OpIv37
06-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Kyle "probowl" Williams baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

let's hope so.

justasportsfan
06-19-2007, 03:31 PM
let's hope so.
With him and Tim Anderson rotating I KNOW SO!!!

OpIv37
06-19-2007, 03:33 PM
With him and Tim Anderson rotating I KNOW SO!!!

well Williams will LOOK like a pro bowler compared to Anderson- that's for damn sure.

HAMMER
06-19-2007, 03:47 PM
This is the year the light goes on for Anderson, our D-Line will end up being one of the best in the league if McCargo can go.

Ickybaluky
06-19-2007, 03:53 PM
DARWIN WALKER UPDATE: Concerning the nfl.com report on Darwin Walker, it is true that the Bills can in fact demand that he pay the club his $1.4M in base salary for this year since he has already begun not reporting for work (which was initiated when he failed to show for the mandatory minicamp). He also can be fined up to $8,000 for missing the minicamp.

I'm not sure what the hell he is talking about here. The Bills can't go after his base salary as he hasn't even earned that yet. He gets paid his base salary in 1/17th increments during the season (once a week), and the Bills do not need to pay him if he doesn't show up.

He can get fined for missing camp, as the article states.

Also, now that he has missed a mandatory minicamp the Bills can go after part of his signing bonus, even though the Eagles paid him that money. The Bills are entitled to go after 25% of his signing bonus allocation for 2007. They are limited to that amount by the CBA. They can't recover anything else.

Based on a Philly cap page, Walker received a $4M SB on an extension back in 2002. That money would have been spread at $571,429 per year for his contract. The Bills are entitled to try and recover 1/4th of that money, which comes to a little less than $143K. They would receive a credit for that amount on the 2008 cap if they are able to recover it.

Michael82
06-19-2007, 03:59 PM
This is the year the light goes on for Anderson, our D-Line will end up being one of the best in the league if McCargo can go.
:rofl: I wish I could be that optimistic!

justasportsfan
06-19-2007, 04:09 PM
:rofl: I wish I could be that optimistic!
puhlease you're one of the biggest homers here.

Saratoga Slim
06-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Despite erring on the homeristic side, I officially don't like this trade now. If we had the OPTION of sending him back to Philly, it would have given us some negotiating power. Instead, we basically traded Spikes for the five-month right to try and negotiate a deal with Walker (and some very late round picks). Walker is 100% in the driver's seat on this one-if he wants to stay in Philly to be near his architectural firm, all he has to do is reject every offer we send his way, and he'll end up in Philly. Which is probably what will happen unless we send him a very fat package.

This makes it pretty clear to me that we were looking to dump Spikes one way or another. If the FO thinks he's no longer a high caliber player, then fine. But I can't help but think we could have done better than this deal.

Boo.

justasportsfan
06-19-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm not sure what the hell he is talking about here..
I don't know what the hell I was talking about either

Nighthawk
06-19-2007, 06:12 PM
If Marv doesn't sign Walker, then he is a tool and there is nobody who can back him...even the people wearing the rose colored glasses. These are the kinds of moves that make this organization look second class to everyone around the league.

clumping platelets
06-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Bills will reach an agreement with Walker just in time for training camp :movie:

feldspar
06-19-2007, 11:01 PM
No more Walker updates...please.

The next time

feldspar
06-19-2007, 11:01 PM
No more Walker updates...please.

The next time I hear about this guy, I want to either hear that he has agreed to terms or he is off the team (without ever having been on it).

As far as I'm concerned, this guy has never been a part of the team and might not be. I don't want to get all worked up over an outsider.

The Spaz
06-19-2007, 11:03 PM
WALKER NOT WALKING

Up in Buffalo, another interesting story has developed over a contract and a traded player. Outstanding defensive tackle Darwin Walker was traded to Buffalo from Philadelphia during the spring and he has refused to show up while searching for a new contract. We already know through the solid reporting of my colleagues at the NFL Network that Walker could revert back to the Eagles and the Bills would receive a sixth-round pick if they can't get him into camp. But the plot is getting even more complicated.

By not showing up to Buffalo's mandatory minicamp, Walker could be in breach of the contract he signed in 2002. Walker could owe the Bills $1.4 million. Of course, if he reverts back to the Eagles he would not owe the money unless he doesn't show up for camp. He can't be responsible for missing the Eagles minicamp because he wasn't their property at the time. If the Bills trade Walker to another team, then Walker would not be at risk of losing the $1.4 million for the same reason, unless he decided not to show up for training camp. One general manager said, "I would take on his contract as is in a trade and not feel I had to get a big deal done with him to make the trade. There is enough language in his deal that he would either come in or the $1.4 million is ours." I get the feeling the Bills could get more than a sixth-round pick the Eagles would owe them if they sent him back to Philadelphia by trading him and that looks like a distinct possibility.

http://nfl.com/news/story/10230519

feldspar
06-19-2007, 11:29 PM
WALKER NOT WALKING

We already know through the solid reporting of my colleagues at the NFL Network that Walker could revert back to the Eagles and the Bills would receive a sixth-round pick if they can't get him into camp.

Boy, they sure do have a lot of solid reporting up there at the NFL Network, huh? I mean, where in the world do they uncover this information? what a bunch of geniuses. If it weren't for the NFL Network, nobody would know these things.

Sorry, but I had to do that.

Michael82
06-20-2007, 12:56 AM
WALKER NOT WALKING

Up in Buffalo, another interesting story has developed over a contract and a traded player. Outstanding defensive tackle Darwin Walker was traded to Buffalo from Philadelphia during the spring and he has refused to show up while searching for a new contract. We already know through the solid reporting of my colleagues at the NFL Network that Walker could revert back to the Eagles and the Bills would receive a sixth-round pick if they can't get him into camp. But the plot is getting even more complicated.

By not showing up to Buffalo's mandatory minicamp, Walker could be in breach of the contract he signed in 2002. Walker could owe the Bills $1.4 million. Of course, if he reverts back to the Eagles he would not owe the money unless he doesn't show up for camp. He can't be responsible for missing the Eagles minicamp because he wasn't their property at the time. If the Bills trade Walker to another team, then Walker would not be at risk of losing the $1.4 million for the same reason, unless he decided not to show up for training camp. One general manager said, "I would take on his contract as is in a trade and not feel I had to get a big deal done with him to make the trade. There is enough language in his deal that he would either come in or the $1.4 million is ours." I get the feeling the Bills could get more than a sixth-round pick the Eagles would owe them if they sent him back to Philadelphia by trading him and that looks like a distinct possibility.

http://nfl.com/news/story/10230519
hmmm, i wonder if that is what Marv had in mind all along. IF he couldn't get Walker signed...he trades him away for something else. Maybe a 3rd rounder or 4th rounder. Or a player...who knows...

Michael82
06-20-2007, 12:56 AM
Bills will reach an agreement with Walker just in time for training camp :movie:
i still believe this too. :clap:

bflojohn
06-20-2007, 01:02 AM
After reading Pat Kirwan's article on NFL.COM, he mentioned Darwin Walker being "in breach" of his contract! I find it interesting that he worded it that way because maybe the Bills found something in the players' contract that does allow for a recovery of his pay for the upcoming season. He (Walker) is "on the books", as this deal he struck in Philadelphia gets transfered directly to the Bills. Possibly, the Bills could have a right to pursue the issue with a lawsuit due to the language contained in his deal in 2002. I do suppose that if they did go down this slippery path, Walkers' status becomes cloudy indeed, unless he ponies up the $1.4 million to the Bills and THEN reverts to free agency! Handy way to make a buck!! It would represent a hard line though if they "attacked" the problem in this way!!

Ickybaluky
06-20-2007, 07:23 AM
Did he get advanced his salary or something? How can his salary if he hasn't been paid yet? There must be something else in his contract they are talking about.

He is in breach of his contract for not reporting to mandatory minicamp. The Bills can recover part of his original signing bonus because of that. The CBA mandates a team can recover 25% of the signing bonus amortization for a given season.

madness
06-20-2007, 07:53 AM
This whole situation smells kind of funny.

Michael82
06-20-2007, 08:56 AM
This whole situation smells kind of funny.
yeah it does....