PDA

View Full Version : Agent Confirms That Sabres Retain Vanek's Rights

YardRat
06-19-2007, 09:21 PM
http://www.wben.com/news/wgrstory.php?newsid=2462

Stephen Bartlett, the agent for Buffalo Sabres forward Thomas Vanek, has confirmed to WGR SportsRadio 550 that the team has issued a qualifying offer to his client.

The offer is for one year and is worth just under one million dollars. It is expected to be a starting point for future negotiations.

YardRat
06-19-2007, 09:22 PM
The move ensures that Vanek will not become an unrestricted free agent.

camelcowboy
06-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Just step one.

YardRat
06-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Honestly, I expected (probably unrealistically) the initial offer to be more.

What is the compensation for that kind of offer?

JD
06-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Under a million? no way, Vanek could easily make 4 mill anywhere else

camelcowboy
06-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Honestly, I expected (probably unrealistically) the initial offer to be more.

What is the compensation for that kind of offer? Think of it as a football tender for a RFA but reverse. The tender just guareentees he stays off the unrestricted market. Now compensation is based on what a team offers for him per year. above a million a 3rd, and per million is a rising scale. any offer about 5 mil a year gets you 4 1st round picks.

CuseJetsFan83
06-20-2007, 04:37 AM
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=319810&page=NewsPage&service=page

besides the talk about vanek and his agent which stated he wish he was in more contact but understands the UFAS are first...... but i found this interesting too....

Buffalo has yet to contact forward Dainius Zubrus (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8464977), another potential unrestricted free agent. A 10-year veteran, he made $1.85 million in the final year of his contract last season.
Zubrus' agent, Jerrold Colton, said his client is open to returning to Buffalo after the team acquired him in a trade with Washington in February.
"I wouldn't rule out reaching out to them, but if they're interested, they know where to find me," Colton said. "(Zubrus) feels this is a team ready to take the next step and would love to be a part of it."

YardRat
06-20-2007, 05:17 AM
Think of it as a football tender for a RFA but reverse. The tender just guareentees he stays off the unrestricted market. Now compensation is based on what a team offers for him per year. above a million a 3rd, and per million is a rising scale. any offer about 5 mil a year gets you 4 1st round picks.

Thanks. I wasn't quite sure whether the compensation was based on the qualifying offer from the current club or the actual offer sheet from another team.

tampabay25690
06-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Well if that is the truth the Sabres can definitely lock up 1 of there 2 captains ar even both now...

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-20-2007, 01:22 PM
For a restricted free agent the team has to make a qualifying offer. I can't recall the exact percentage, but it is like a 10% raise. That isn't what Vanek will accept, so don't get all excited.