PDA

View Full Version : Oliver to work out today, Pats could be interested

patmoran2006
06-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Until the Patriots resolve the Asante Samuel situation, the team will carry a hole in its loaded-up roster.

And a guy who might be able to fill it will be on display today.

Cornerback Paul Oliver will work out for NFL scouts, coaches and personnel officials this morning on the Georgia campus he’s called home for the past four years in advance of the July 12 supplemental draft. Oliver was a starter the past two years for the Bulldogs, and planned to return as a fifth-year senior in the fall.

He did consider declaring for the draft in January but decided against it, despite being on shaky academic ground. After the spring semester, the university declared Oliver academically ineligible for the fall. MORE (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1007397)

=========================================================
I hope the Bills are looking at him also today... I've heard many times this guy is a projected first rounder next year. With our luck, I can see NE making a play for him.. They do have a pair of first rounders next year.. sounds like he'll go in the second round of the supplemental.

The Spaz
06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
2nd or 3rd rounder next year. There was an article before that the Bills will be attending his workouts. I would be happy if we got him.

DraftBoy
06-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Wouldnt bid over a 3rd, with Webster being signed we have alot of CB's (didnt say good CB's) if you move one of our safeties to CB we have even more depth there. We need to decide on some plan.

patmoran2006
06-20-2007, 10:30 AM
I doubt we bid for him.

I assume Marv's thinking is go with what we have at CB this year, and at the end of the season we can re-evaluate how guys did and what we need to do.

Ickybaluky
06-20-2007, 11:10 AM
The Patriots did not attend (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?cat=1) his workout today. His agent (Jason Chayut, who is Deion Branch's agent) stated the Patriots are not among the teams that have expressed interest in Oliver.

Buffalo was one of 23 teams with a representative at the workout.

The source of the rumor is an article in the Herald that pointed out the Pats could bit a top-tier 3rd round pick on him, thus having one of the best chances to get him if he lasts that long, because they own Oakland's 3rd rounder next year.

They might be interested and their not showing at the workout is just a smokescreen. Oliver will hold private workouts with teams, just like players do before the supplemental draft.

The Patriots have shown interest in Nebraska OL Chris Patrick (http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/06/19/huskerextra/doc46773444c80f3916831689.txt), who is in the supplemental draft and projects as a late-round pick. The Pats attended his workout and Patrick claims NE, ATL and KC have shown the most interest.

patmoran2006
06-20-2007, 11:19 AM
wow.

Weird that NE wasnt there and "seemingly" not interested.. With a surplus of picks next year and possibly a current or future hole at CB, I'd expect them to be players for Oliver.

Cool that Buffalo was there to see the workout, though so were 22 other teams.

bigbub2352
06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
I dont see us goin after him cause we signed Jason Webster, i know it wasnt that popular of a move but he will be our starting CB next to McGee on opening day, my perdiction

Saratoga Slim
06-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I will be the first to admit that I've never seen him play. All I know is he's famous for handcuffing Calvin Johnson and being not very good with the book learnin.

If he can shut down CJ, and can play at that sort of level consistently, that's good enough for me. I think its OK to have a dumb cornerback, that position really only requires the ability to remember what the guy looks like who you're supposed to be following around. As long as he's not shooting strippers on his days off (wocka wocka wocka), I'll bid one of next year's 3rds on him.

patmoran2006
06-20-2007, 02:21 PM
I will be the first to admit that I've never seen him play. All I know is he's famous for handcuffing Calvin Johnson and being not very good with the book learnin.

If he can shut down CJ, and can play at that sort of level consistently, that's good enough for me. I think its OK to have a dumb cornerback, that position really only requires the ability to remember what the guy looks like who you're supposed to be following around. As long as he's not shooting strippers on his days off (wocka wocka wocka), I'll bid one of next year's 3rds on him.
LOL

Ickybaluky
06-20-2007, 05:26 PM
According to the Athens Banner-Herald (http://onlineathens.com/login.shtml?orq:http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/062007/football_oliver.shtml) (registration required), Oliver ran 4.56 and 4.59 today. That probably won't help his draft stock much, and it is likely he will be a 3rd-4th round pick.

Nebraska OL Chris Patrick and Morgan State DT Robert Armstrong are also eligible for the upcoming Supplemental Draft.

Patrick is 6-5, 298# and has started at LT for Nebraska for over a season. He is rated to be a 6th-7th round selection if he is drafted at all.

Armstrong is a 6-4, 300# DT who transferred to Morgan State from Maryland in 2005 (he was mostly a backup at Maryland). He had to sit out 2005 due to a back injury, and returned in 2006 to start at Morgan State. He will work out for scouts on June 28th. He is expected to go undrafted.

patmoran2006
06-20-2007, 06:55 PM
id give up a third for Oliver, regardless of his 40 time.

Get all the potentially good young backs you can in here this year while we're still to young to win anyway; and let them fight it out to see who emerges for 2008, when i expect this team to be a legit contender.