PDA

View Full Version : Webster Gives Bills Secondary A Boost

The Spaz
06-20-2007, 10:48 AM
"I'm coming in to be my best."

Those were the words of Bills cornerback Jason Webster after his first day of spring practice during OTAs with his new teammates last month.

By the time Buffalo's spring workouts had come to a close, Webster had shown his best on the field and effectively gave the coaching staff and his new teammates a greater degree of comfort about their secondary.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4877

HHURRICANE
06-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I heard Webster was very impressive. I may have to tone down my Yobouty love. I don't care who starts as long as it helps us win. This is very good news.

OpIv37
06-20-2007, 10:51 AM
I really think he's going to be a good pick-up for us. He's probably not the long term answer, but it looks like he can fill the void while Youboty develops. I'll take it.

patmoran2006
06-20-2007, 11:00 AM
not always.. but every now and then, a change of scenery helps a players career.

Maybe that will be the case with Webster.

Dr. Lecter
06-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Pat and Op positive in the same thread??????

Somebody call 9-1-1. This is the big one!

Wys Guy
06-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Y-A-W-N!

Hands up by everyone that believes that Webster will become an impact player.

venis2k1
06-20-2007, 11:08 AM
we dont need him to be an impact player, but he could become a solid starter in this system.

Dr. Lecter
06-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Y-A-W-N!

I guess 3 for 3 was too much to dream of............

Nobody said impact player. Nobody. Not one person.

A solid performance would be fine, imo.

But I guess we need all pros at 24 positions.

Bulldog
06-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Y-A-W-N!

Y-A-W-N

Another *****ball post from captian doom!

Wys Guy
06-20-2007, 11:32 AM
I guess 3 for 3 was too much to dream of............

Nobody said impact player. Nobody. Not one person.

A solid performance would be fine, imo.

Yeah, because we certainly have our share of impact players on this team that we don't really need any, right. LOL

Since when is a team featuring only two or three impact players (Evans, Schobel, and Peters) with half average players and half backups posing as starters considered anything but poor in the NFL?

You actually validated my point inadvertantly.

Dr. Lecter
06-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Yeah, because we certainly have our share of impact players on this team that we don't really need any, right. LOL

Since when is a team featuring only two or three impact players (Evans, Schobel, and Peters) with half average players and half backups posing as starters considered anything but poor in the NFL?

You actually validated my point inadvertantly.

If you assume the crap in bold, I guess I would have.

But I don't, so I didn't.

Wys Guy
06-20-2007, 11:35 AM

This also explains much of the differences between us in terms of evaluation as well as expectations.

I would actually like to see us have above average players in most positions even if we don't have any of the top ones. Everyone in the NFL is a "pro."

No wonder you are satisfied with the current product on the field.

As a fan, I expect quite a bit more from management on down and won't sit still for the garbage presented us as a decent meal every season.

Frankly, I'm both saddened as well as disappointed that your, and others around here, expectations as supposed fans is so low for your own team.

Mr. Miyagi
06-20-2007, 11:36 AM

Let alone back to back posts too! :party:

OpIv37
06-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Y-A-W-N!

Impact player? I highly doubt it.

But at this point in time, it seems like he's better than Youboty, so we have someone to stabilize the position while Youboty develops.

CB is still a sore spot for us, but it's better with Webster than it was without him. That's all I'm saying.

Dr. Lecter
This also explains much of the differences between us in terms of evaluation as well as expectations.

I would actually like to see us have above average players in most positions even if we don't have any of the top ones. Everyone in the NFL is a "pro."

As a fan, I expect quite a bit more from management on down and won't sit still for the garbage presented us as a decent meal every season.

Frankly, I'm both saddened as well as disappointed that your, and others around here, expectations as supposed fans is so low for your own team.

I am saddened that you actually think fans don't care if the team wins. I am dissappointed that you think you are the only that cares. It is confusing that you think there is only one way to succeed. It is dissappointing that you have made conclusions on this team when they have played no games. It is confusing that somebody wants to be active on a message board yet never actually read what people say and post and why the doom and gloom attitude is not the only way to go. And I will never figure out how Marv and crew are supposed to fix the team in one year.

But, to each his own.

madness
When head coach Dick Jauronhttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4877#) was asked by Buffalobills.com if he got what he expected out of Webster after the cornerback arrived for spring practices his answer was brief.
"Probably more," said Jauron.

He is exactly what this secondary needed and I have no problem saying this guy is going to be an impact player. If he stays healthy and our safeties continue to improve this year, ATL will be an afterthought. ATL loved bringing their safeties up in the box which you just can't do when you have small corners like Webster. This guy has the needed skills plus experience and has Tampa 2 CB written all over him.

With him starting, our depth @ CB instantly became a strength instead of a weakness. AY now has time to develop and Thomas returns to the role he excelled in last year. I also expect to see McGee make up for last year now that he has another year of the D under his belt.

Our secondary is looking to be our strong point of this young defense and I wish I could feel as comfortable with the LB core and D-line as I do with them.

Dr. Lecter
06-20-2007, 11:44 AM
In short, I am sick and tired of people trying make some of us out to be less of a fan because we don't hate the moves the team has made.

It is arrogant, condescending, rude, and a steaming pile of BS.

We all have opinions. But we are all fans of this team. Wheter it is Pat, Op and Wys or it is Mikey, madness and mystic.

To act like one side is a "lesser" fan than the other is a pile of crap.

justasportsfan
06-20-2007, 11:48 AM

2 ot 0f 3 ain't bad. Wys is a lost cause. He'll always know better than any FO.

this is why you don't jump the gun and whine about everything the FO does or haven't done yet . You end up looking like a fool when all the time they were/are doing something about it.

thecoordinator
06-20-2007, 11:50 AM
the good thing with webster is he's 30 now so he should pretty much be over the injury problems that caused him to miss 25 games during the past 4 seasons. i'm not sure what the people who see this as a desperation move by the bills are thinking. this guy is 5'9 180 and has 11 INTs in 7 seasons. that's gold if you ask me.

Pinkerton Security
06-20-2007, 11:58 AM

If you're so saddened and disappointed maybe it is because you misread the post you responded to here, as it stated:

It was stating we need All-Pros at every position, sarcastically at that. And i agree with every sentiment stated by Dr.Lecter, you "realists" think that you're superior when all you're doing is stating the other side of the story, which is fine, thats what makes a forum what it is.

Webster will contribute to this team, and he is probably going to play more the Youboty, which is fine. Youboty could use a lot more learning, and Webster will either be a stop-gap player who will help the team as much as he can until Youboty is ready, or perhaps become an impact player. Im not gonna hold my breath, but some on here wanted him BAD when he was a 9er, and perhaps we'll see that player on the field for us this year. I hope so.

Pinkerton Security
06-20-2007, 12:00 PM
the good thing with webster is he's 30 now so he should pretty much be over the injury problems that caused him to miss 25 games during the past 4 seasons. i'm not sure what the people who see this as a desperation move by the bills are thinking. this guy is 5'9 180 and has 11 INTs in 7 seasons. that's gold if you ask me.

a heck of a lot better than Kiwi, and I am a big fan of his!

OpIv37
06-20-2007, 12:05 PM

I'd definitely prefer a better corner than Webster, but SF gave Clements way more money than he's worth and we didn't get one in the draft (we could have, but that discussion has been done ad nauseum on here and I'm not going to re-open it). So, we needed a CB late in the off-season.

Webster is not the long term answer, but he was the best option. I'm not happy that the FO put us in a position where we didn't have a lot of options at CB, but what's done is done and I'm happy they did something to improve the position even if it's not completely solidified.

justasportsfan
06-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Webster is not the long term answer, but he was the best option. I'm not happy that the FO put us in a position where we didn't have a lot of options at CB, but what's done is done and I'm happy they did something to improve the position even if it's not completely solidified.
Yup, a better option than Hughes.

Again , it's not our FO fault that we were in this position in the first place. It was TD's fault that we had to rebuild. From that Fletcher and Spikes didn't want to be part of the rebuildng process and Clements wanted more money which created more holes .

Unlike you I'm not upset at our current FO. They are doing their best to maximize what they inherited.

madness
06-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh no, here we go once again. See you guys on page 15.

:popcorn:

OpIv37
06-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Yup, a better option than Hughes.

Again , it's not our FO fault that we were in this position in the first place. It was TD's fault that we had to rebuild. From that Fletcher and Spikes didn't want to be part of the rebuildng process and Clements wanted more money which created more holes .

Unlike you I'm not upset at our current FO. They are doing their best to maximize what they inherited.

well I think we have to wait and see if Webster is a better option than Hughes- it's a little early to make that call until we see them on the field. :snicker:

I don't entirely blame Marv and Co for the CB situation- it's not their fault that SF wanted to throw insane amounts of money at Clements. But at the same time, I do think they had some options at CB this off-season- Hughes, Harper, Hood, etc- and they lucked out that Webster became available when he did.

That being said, it appears that adding Webster has made the team better, even if it is only incrementally, so the FO deserves some credit.

Saratoga Slim
06-20-2007, 12:34 PM
well I think we have to wait and see if Webster is a better option than Hughes- it's a little early to make that call until we see them on the field. :snicker:

I don't entirely blame Marv and Co for the CB situation- it's not their fault that SF wanted to throw insane amounts of money at Clements. But at the same time, I do think they had some options at CB this off-season- Hughes, Harper, Hood, etc- and they lucked out that Webster became available when he did.

That being said, it appears that adding Webster has made the team better, even if it is only incrementally, so the FO deserves some credit.

I think its safe to say that for at least the first half of the season, Webster will serve us better than the rookie Hughes would have. Over the long term, who knows. For the record, I wanted us to draft Hughes in the 3rd.

Saratoga Slim
06-20-2007, 12:46 PM

You're missing the point entirely. This thread is about Webster looking good in early training sessions, and that that is a positive development for the Bills' secondary. Just because many here are happy to hear that does not mean that anyone is necessarily satisfied with Webster starting at #2 CB, the "current product on the field," etc. All it means is that many of us were expecting to go into the season with only McGee, Youboty, Kiwi, Greer and Bassey as CBs, and its a pleasant surprise to see that group improved even a little bit by Webster's services.