PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Mike & Mike To Be #2 MNF Broadcast Team

lordofgun
06-20-2007, 01:59 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/mccarthy/2007-06-19-mccarthy-espn_N.htm?csp=34

ESPN is set to unveil a second Monday Night Football announcing team today: play-by-play Mike Greenberg, analysts Mike Golic and Mike Ditka and sideline reporter Bonnie Bernstein.
The new team will make their MNF debut during the Arizona Cardinals vs. San Francisco 49ers game on Sept. 10, says ESPN's Norby Williamson, executive vice president for remote and studio production. The game will be the nightcap in a national NFL doubleheader on ESPN and will kick off at 10:15 p.m. ET.

:puke: I can't stand mike and mike.

BlackMetalNinja
06-20-2007, 02:01 PM
That won't be at all confusing... Mike, Mike, & Mike!

Pinkerton Security
06-20-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/mccarthy/2007-06-19-mccarthy-espn_N.htm?csp=34

:puke: I can't stand mike and mike.

me either. They suck.

gil
06-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Golic wasn't too bad when he did college games, the other 2 will be - to use their favorite word - "awful".

At least it's only one game.

LtBillsFan66
06-20-2007, 02:06 PM
I like them. They don't take themselves too seriously.

Pinkerton Security
06-20-2007, 02:18 PM
I like them. They don't take themselves too seriously.

True, but for some reason I dont find anything they ever say funny, so I cant think of them as being any good if their schtick is the lighthearted one.

DraftBoy
06-20-2007, 02:30 PM
I like the duo on Radio in the AM, and if anybody has listened to their AFL broadcasts they would never they really work well off of each other. I think this was a great move by ESPN.

:bf1:

Bill Brasky
06-20-2007, 02:37 PM
mike and mike? isn't that a candy you can buy at a movie theater?

DraftBoy
06-20-2007, 02:44 PM
I think thats Mike and Ike

HAMMER
06-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Mike squared will be better than the first team. Kornheiser is the worst MNF announcer ever, EVER.

Bill Brasky
06-20-2007, 02:47 PM
here's an idea... maybe ESPN should go and hire somebody not already on their list of watered down lackeys with maybe an iota of talent for broadcasting. that would be too out of the box for them to consider, though. too daring to jet off their current course of giving the same goons new realms to annoy the **** out of the common sports fan.

DraftBoy
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
here's an idea... maybe ESPN should go and hire somebody not already on their list of watered down lackeys with maybe an iota of talent for broadcasting. that would be too out of the box for them to consider, though. too daring to jet off their current course of the same 5 headlines over and over and over and over and over and over....

Actually Mike and Mike are quite good imo, as announcers they've only dont AFL stuff and the Spelling Bee but their ratings are very good (by AFL standards) and I believe they have the most listened to Morning Radio Show in the country. I know Ill be watching their MNF telecast for sure.

Gunzlingr
06-20-2007, 02:56 PM
They should get Cotton McKnight and Pepper Brooks to do it. They work well together on ESPN 8 ' The Ocho'

Bill Brasky
06-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Actually Mike and Mike are quite good imo, as announcers they've only dont AFL stuff and the Spelling Bee but their ratings are very good (by AFL standards) and I believe they have the most listened to Morning Radio Show in the country. I know Ill be watching their MNF telecast for sure.
I disagree. The few times I could tolerate listening more than 5 minutes I found nothing appealing about them. The younger guy just seems to talk on and on about nothing of importance, and Golic just seems to nod in agreement. They try to be funny but fail worse than a dyslexic child on the regents exam.

You and I would have the highest rated radio show if we were simulcast by a multi-billion dollar corporation in every market of the country, too... not to mention sattelite radio, etc.

I will say this - they should have put another Mike on the broadcast - Michael Smith. He was the only guy I could tolerate when I used to watch that network.

DraftBoy
06-20-2007, 03:32 PM
I disagree. The few times I could tolerate listening more than 5 minutes I found nothing appealing about them. The younger guy just seems to talk on and on about nothing of importance, and Golic just seems to nod in agreement. They try to be funny but fail worse than a dyslexic child on the regents exam.

You and I would have the highest rated radio show if we were simulcast by a multi-billion dollar corporation in every market of the country, too... not to mention sattelite radio, etc.

I will say this - they should have put another Mike on the broadcast - Michael Smith. He was the only guy I could tolerate when I used to watch that network.

5 minutes? Thats all you gave it? You cant give any program only 5 mins and assume your going to always hear something you want. These guys are great, your missing out buddy.

But hey if you ever get that radio show offer, gimme a shout and we'll rock a show out.

LtBillsFan66
06-20-2007, 03:35 PM

You're probably worse than brianH and quizbert.

Bill Brasky
06-20-2007, 03:45 PM
5 minutes? Thats all you gave it? You cant give any program only 5 mins and assume your going to always hear something you want. These guys are great, your missing out buddy.

But hey if you ever get that radio show offer, gimme a shout and we'll rock a show out.

you misread my post, bro...

"The few times I could tolerate listening more than 5 minutes"

mikemac2001
06-20-2007, 04:12 PM
I hope the field reporters are named mike to or a michelle

Bling
06-20-2007, 04:40 PM
You guys hate everyone, so....

I really laugh when Mike talks about sports other than football, because honestly, he has no clue. Just like Skip and Stephen A. Smith know nothing but basketball. But Mike Golic is where he's best and he has a decent radio program. I could care less about the other Mike, and Mike Ditka is just going to be there.

Night Train
06-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Outside of the great old vet Bob Ley on Outside The Lines and PTI, ESPN just completely sucks. The Marv Levy hiring was funny for a day but ESPN played it for a good 3 months, with Mike & Mike, Colin Coward and several others acting beyond 'sophmoronic' in their comments.

I thougt some Conn. middle school kidnapped the programming director. Suck it, Bristol. You're an emabarrassment beyond description .

Bill Brasky
06-20-2007, 06:29 PM
has anyone ever been to bristol? it's worse than batavia.

lordofgun
06-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Steve Czaban on FOX Sports Radio is 10 times the morning radio host that Mike and Mike will ever be.

Tony Bruno on Sporting News Radio is also hilarious.

Mike and Mike are not funny, and not knowledgable. And freeman is right - the only reason they have the top rated morning show is that they're shoved down every ESPN Radio station affiliate's throat.

And how long can you do the fat guy vs. the gay guy schtick?

Bill Brasky
06-21-2007, 08:16 AM
one of the planes carries xm for free during flight... i think it is airtran. anyways, i was listening during one of my flights and the younger guy was talking about milking a cow? you would have thought by the way they were talking it was the piss-your-pants-in-laughter moment of the year. i changed it to fox sports radio...