PDA

View Full Version : If I was Sabres GM for a day ...

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-20-2007, 04:32 PM
A few weeks ago, I wrote a column suggesting the Buffalo Sabres should find a way to keep Chris Drury and Daniel Briere. After all, Anaheim Ducks General Manager Brian Burke was able to acquire highpriced defenseman Chris Pronger to go with Scott Niedermayer en route to winning the Stanley Cup.

Burke was masterful in massaging the $44 million salary cap and building a tough, talented team that was clearly the best at season’s end. It took some bold, unpopular decisions along the way for him to spend 30 percent of his payroll on two players. Burke could have looked foolish had the Ducks been bounced early in the playoffs.

Of course, it didn’t take long before a certain segment of the populace, aka bosses, challenged me to figure out a formula that would enable the Sabres to keep their two co-captains, who are set to become unrestricted free agents July 1. Yes, they asked me to be general manager for a day.

Any chance I could get paid like one?

My goal is to keep the Sabres competitive, keep the two stars on the roster without gutting the core of the team and keep the payroll to $44 million, which is about what the Sabres spent last season while turning a profit. It’s well below next season’s projected salary cap, between $48 million and $52 million.

Click here to see details of The Gleason Plan

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/102754.html

:question: where it says click here how do you get it blue and underlined so you can go to it? :idunno: