Rochester Americans coach Cunneyworth being considered to become next Senators coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Rochester Americans coach Cunneyworth being considered to become next Senators coach

COLUMBUS -- Randy Cunneyworth has always held a special place in his heart for the city of Ottawa.

The former Senators captain hasn't heard from anybody officially, but he admitted yesterday he'd be happy to get a call from newly appointed GM Bryan Murray about Ottawa's coaching job.

"Knowing some of the players and some of the people in that organization it's obviously a job I'd love to be considered for," Cunneyworth said from his Rochester, N.Y., home. "I don't know if anything is going to happen, but Ottawa is a place that's always been special to me. That's one of the places that I'd love to get the opportunity. I know what kind of team they have and it's a great job."

Cunneyworth, 46, a former captain of the 67's, has spent the last seven years with the Sabres' AHL affiliate in Rochester. His contract expires June 30.

He may be considered for an assistant's job in Buffalo, where coach Lindy Ruff recently signed a three-year contract extension.

Cunneyworth isn't likely to return to the Amerks.

"I would like the chance to see what I can accomplish (in the NHL)," said Cunneyworth.

Sources say Cunneyworth is on a list of seven or eight names Murray has compiled after he decided to give up coaching to focus on the front-office duties. ---

ODDS ARE ...

- John Paddock: Senators assistant coach is the leading candidate: 2-1

- Randy Cunneyworth: Former Senators captain is a hot commodity: 5-1

- Dale Hunter: OHL coach played for Senators GM Bryan Murray in Washington: 10-1

- Pat Quinn: Ex-Leafs coach would make the Battle of Ontario interesting again: 15-1

- Pat Burns: Former Gatineau cop will likely return to the Devils: 500-1

- Brent Sutter: He turned down his brother in Calgary: 1,000-1
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Rochester Americans coach Cunneyworth being considered to become next Senators coach

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
      • May 2003

Re: Rochester Americans coach Cunneyworth being considered to become next Senators co

Hey Brian Murray, you don't want Cunnyworth. He is a terrible coach. Move on and find someone else.

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

Re: Rochester Americans coach Cunneyworth being considered to become next Senators coach

I hope he gets the gig he deserves it.

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

The upside to this is the Sabres would send McCutcheon down to Rochester and get him off our power play!
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
            The upside to this is the Sabres would send McCutcheon down to Rochester and get him off our power play!
            Good point. But Rochester will still miss Cunneyworth. He's a damn good coach.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Jan 2004

UM McCutcheon is staying with the Sabres, Lindy said that he's keeping his coaching staff in tact.

Q: Coach, have you given any thought to - I'm sure you have - are you going to bring back your whole staff and would you consider adding to your staff, maybe on a special teams coach or something like that?

Ruff: The whole staff is coming back. I've had a lot of discussions - there are all types of possibilities. I'm not going to rule anything out.

Comment

Working...
              X