PDA

View Full Version : Bills, Walker hit an impasse

Philagape
06-20-2007, 07:40 PM
from AP wire ...

Walker prepared for free agency after talks with Bills hit impasse
By JOHN WAWROW
AP Sports Writer
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - From Philadelphia to Buffalo and potentially back again: Defensive tackle Darwin Walker is prepared for anything - even becoming a free agent in August - after contract talks with the Bills reached an impasse Wednesday.
"Whether we're done talking, I don't want to go that far," Walker's agent, Albert Irby, told The Associated Press after talks broke down. "I've got to hope they change their mind, because I can tell you we're not changing ours."

Philagape
06-20-2007, 07:43 PM
More quotes from the agent:

"It's left me disappointed," Irby said, noting most teams have restructured contracts when acquiring players in the past. "They, for some shocking reason to me, knew this and made the trade and then didn't want to do the deal."
Irby held out hope that the Bills might increase their offer by July 25, when players report for the start of training camp.
"This could be a strategy of theirs because nothing is going on between now and then," Irby said. "Before I say, 'Not optimistic,' I've seen these kind of deals before where at the 11th hour something gets done. So the door's cracked open."

Typ0
06-20-2007, 07:47 PM
so basically we traded spikes and KH for a sixth round draft pick. You win some you lose some.

Devin
06-20-2007, 07:52 PM
:ill:

Philagape
06-20-2007, 07:54 PM
We also got another 2008 pick

Goobylal
06-20-2007, 07:56 PM
As opposed to getting nothing had they just released them.

OpIv37
06-20-2007, 08:20 PM
As opposed to getting nothing had they just released them.

or having at least one LB with experience had they kept him.

Seriously, I don't know why so many people are so willing to give young guys like Youboty, DiGiorgio, Ellison, etc a chance and saying they need more time in the system, yet the same people are not willing to let a proven pro bowler in Spikes have another year to recover from his injuries.

but I digress.

The scariest part of this: so far, this year's DL is looking a LOT like last year's. The only difference is McCargo who still isn't fully recovered. Looks like our dream of cutting Tim Anderson is fading away....

HHURRICANE
06-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Sorry , but this totally blows. I also believe that the Bills had absolutely no friggin clue that Walker's rights reverted back to Philly.

His agent is a genious because he gets alot more money as a free agent.

Think about it. Why would Walker do this deal??

Goobylal
06-20-2007, 08:35 PM
WRT Spikes, even if the Bills wanted to keep him, which I believe they didn't, he wanted out of Buffalo. The Bills obliged him and probably would have cut him had the Eagles not come calling. And for a young team, it wasn't worth ******ing the development of a young and promising player and spending $5M in the faint hopes that a LB on the wrong side of 30 would buck the ENORMOUS odds against him and return from a devastating Achilles tendon rupture.

As for Fletch, the Bills didn't want him back period, experience notwithstanding. Again given his age and that he's proven what he CAN'T do, why ****** a young and promising player's growth?

And as for the DT's, sorry but they're not "looking a LOT like last year." All of them have a year in the cover-2 (especially Hargrove who was acquired mid-season and thus missed all the OTA's, mini-camps, training camp, and pre-season) which is huge. Williams has his rookie year behind him, which is just as huge. Ideally McCargo will be ready to go when training camp starts, but even without him, the DL should be better than what it was last year.

Goobylal
06-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Sorry , but this totally blows. I also believe that the Bills had absolutely no friggin clue that Walker's rights reverted back to Philly.

His agent is a genious because he gets alot more money as a free agent.

Think about it. Why would Walker do this deal??
Of course they knew! Why would Philly, on their own, agree to take him back after August 5th and give-up a pick, when they were probably going to release him anyway?

And I doubt Walker gets more money than he's leaving on the table with the Bills. Maybe it's more guaranteed, but I doubt he gets more. Then again, the Redskins ARE out there.

OpIv37
06-20-2007, 08:47 PM
WRT Spikes, even if the Bills wanted to keep him, which I believe they didn't, he wanted out of Buffalo. The Bills obliged him and probably would have cut him had the Eagles not come calling. And for a young team, it wasn't worth ******ing the development of a young and promising player and spending $5M in the faint hopes that a LB on the wrong side of 30 would buck the ENORMOUS odds against him and return from a devastating Achilles tendon rupture.

As for Fletch, the Bills didn't want him back period, experience notwithstanding. Again given his age and that he's proven what he CAN'T do, why ****** a young and promising player's growth?

And as for the DT's, sorry but they're not "looking a LOT like last year." All of them have a year in the cover-2 (especially Hargrove who was acquired mid-season and thus missed all the OTA's, mini-camps, training camp, and pre-season) which is huge. Williams has his rookie year behind him, which is just as huge. Ideally McCargo will be ready to go when training camp starts, but even without him, the DL should be better than what it was last year.

It's not EMORMOUS odds to start a UDFA with ZERO game experience at LB?

As far as the DL it's the EXACT same as last year with the possible exception of McCargo, and this will essentially be his rookie year (which you say is huge to get past). We were 28th in run D. 28TH!!!! These guys have been playing football for their whole lives and suddenly 1 year of experience in the system is going to be enough to improve the 28th ranked run D with no additional talent? Sorry but that's just not a realistic expectation.

As far as Hargrove, I love the guy's attitude but he just didn't show much on the field. Maybe he missed last year's OTA's but what's his excuse for the end of the season? by that time he had over two months to learn.

Mitchy moo
06-20-2007, 09:06 PM

As far as the DL it's the EXACT same as last year with the possible exception of McCargo, and this will essentially be his rookie year (which you say is huge to get past). We were 28th in run D. 28TH!!!! These guys have been playing football for their whole lives and suddenly 1 year of experience in the system is going to be enough to improve the 28th ranked run D with no additional talent? Sorry but that's just not a realistic expectation.

As far as Hargrove, I love the guy's attitude but he just didn't show much on the field. Maybe he missed last year's OTA's but what's his excuse for the end of the season? by that time he had over two months to learn.

POZ + another years experience and the offense forcing our opponents to do more predictable things will put us middle of the road in total defense, probably around 18th-20th.

Add in a much better offensive showing and we're talking .500 + record.

If we sign Walker and the DiG kid is the goods well we might be looking at more but we'll wait and see how this plays out. I think we'll know by week 10 how we look and with the schedule we have, lord knows we need everybody ready.

DraftBoy
06-20-2007, 09:17 PM
WRT Spikes, even if the Bills wanted to keep him, which I believe they didn't, he wanted out of Buffalo.

I have no issue with this line of thinking in fact I agree with it. We had to dump Spikes. My concern solely lies in the fact that this FO agreed to impose a deadline upon themselves in order to get Walker's new deal done. I think they made a good offer to Walker by cutting off one of the back end. By why agree to lose him if he doesnt report, just fine the hell out of him and make a point to him and other players that you wont be bullied by contract hawk agents. I dont like the return clause they agreed to.

Bling
06-20-2007, 09:28 PM
What happens if Walker becomes a FA, and you guys sign Walker afterwards. Do you get the pick and Walker?

Goobylal
06-20-2007, 10:05 PM
More than a rookie? Nope.

Take a look at the Bears in 2004 versus 2005 and last year to see how wrong your line of thinking is. Heck take a look at the Pats' defense in 2000 versus 2001. Defenses take time to learn new schemes. This is pretty much known by everyone. Well, almost everyone.

Voltron
06-20-2007, 10:36 PM
or having at least one LB with experience had they kept him.

Seriously, I don't know why so many people are so willing to give young guys like Youboty, DiGiorgio, Ellison, etc a chance and saying they need more time in the system, yet the same people are not willing to let a proven pro bowler in Spikes have another year to recover from his injuries.

but I digress.

The scariest part of this: so far, this year's DL is looking a LOT like last year's. The only difference is McCargo who still isn't fully recovered. Looks like our dream of cutting Tim Anderson is fading away....
The fact is that Spikes did not want to be here ... That is reason enough to get what you can for him. I am pissed that the Bills made this trade knowing that Walker wanted a new contract, but at the same point they did work the salary cap like pros with this trade. They lose serious talent with this trade if Walker ends up holding out. On another hand they also have made room for JP, Evans, Simpson and Whitner when it comes to contract extensions.

As far as I am concerned it is still not breaking even. While saving the cap room is a plus, the fact that we are so thin on D-line this year out weighs the positives and puts us in the negative on this deal.

Mitchy moo
06-20-2007, 11:42 PM
What happens if Walker becomes a FA, and you guys sign Walker afterwards. Do you get the pick and Walker?

Wow, good question. One would safely say that would be a mess.:rage:

HAMMER
06-21-2007, 01:37 AM

Op you seriously need to find another hobby, you have said the same thing a thousand times. I don't get it.

Night Train
06-21-2007, 05:10 AM
If Walker never shows, then I see us making a July/August training camp trade for a vet DT.

Pinkerton Security
06-21-2007, 06:29 AM

pure genius :geek:

THATHURMANATOR
06-21-2007, 07:32 AM
so basically we traded spikes and KH for a sixth round draft pick. You win some you lose some.
Better than Just cutting them and eating their cap hits, Which is what they probably wanted to do anyways. No one seems to bring this point up. Spikes and Holcomb were useless to us.

madness
06-21-2007, 08:00 AM
For the s-l-o-w people...

SPIKES WANT NO BE HERE.

Philagape
06-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Losing a player because he didn't want to be here doesn't make me feel any better. Players not wanting to be here is a problem.

mybills
06-21-2007, 08:18 AM
I don't think Walker wants to be here, either. :ill:

Voltron
06-21-2007, 08:27 AM
I don't think Walker wants to be here, either. :ill:
I think he does. It is the Bills who have screwed this up. They knew when they acquired him that he wanted to renegotiate his contract. In fact according to him and his agent that was agreed to by the Bills before the trade took place. Seems to me that the management told a bold face lie and rolled the dice to see what would happen if they just let the contract stand.

madness
06-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Losing a player because he didn't want to be here doesn't make me feel any better. Players not wanting to be here is a problem.

Yes, it's a problem...

A problem for the player. His character is revealed.

Philagape
06-21-2007, 08:42 AM
If Spikes doesn't want to play for the Bills, I blame the Bills. I have no problem with Spikes' character.

HHURRICANE
Okay people you aren't getting it.

1) Spikes not wanting to be here is irrelevant. Briggs doesn't want to be in Chicago, Asante doesn't want to be in NE, etc., etc, etc. He would have played to the best of his potential so that argumnet is BS. I'm guessing that there are a few other players on the current Bills roster that wouldn't mind being on other teams.

2) Trading Spikes for an irrelevant pick in 2008 gets us what this year? Nothing. Spkies on the field in 2007 brought value in 2007.

3) The Eagles have no problem giving us a 6th rounder for Spikes. Darwin Walker for Spikes looks alot better to the Bills than a 6th. This deal wouldn't have happened for a 6th. The Bills didn't know that they got baboozled and that's embarrassing.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
Let's face it folks, there are some major issues with this organization, and the word is out among veterans in this league that Buffalo is not the kind of place you want to play. So, we are either going to have to get very lucky on young guys, or overspend for solid free agents......our roster will be filled out with guys other teams don't want.
Until we build a different culture here (which starts from ownership down), this is what we have to work with. The Darwin Walkers of the world just aren't a fit for us, and we can't expect to have guys like this on our team.
Like it or not, Tim Anderson is the best this team can do.

patmoran2006
06-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Congratulations, Marv.

Didn't know if it was possible, but you topped last year's decision to tag Nate Clements for one year instead of trading him for value when you knew in a million years he was gone at season's end; as the dumbest move of the off-season.

How you make a trade for a player you already know wants an extension and you don't give it to him is beyond me. If you don't think he's worth the money, then DON'T make the trade because you KNOW he wants the money.

What good is it for your 'offer' to be to knock one year off his deal? I mean, seriously.. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD WALKER TAKE THAT WHEN HE CAN SIMPLY SAY NO AND BECOME A FREE AGENT IMMEDIATELY?!??!? That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life.

Of course Walker is going to turn down that ridiculous offer. He is almost certain to make more money on another team and even if the money is the same at least he can choose what team he WANTS to play for. Walker would be stupid to accept Levy's current offer.

Not like we're dealing with an overbearing free agent.. LEVY IS THE ONE who TRADED for him; and he didn't know this was going to happen?!?!?

Between this ridiculously stupid trade when we're thin to begin with at LB; overvaluing free agents like Chris Kelsay and Langston Walker; doing absolutely NOTHING to address the DL or WR this year-- and making your key CB addition after losing Clements a guy Atlanta cuts after the draft (WEbster)---- Levy is proving that is he simply over his head as a NFL GM.

madness
06-21-2007, 09:01 AM
If Spikes doesn't want to play for the Bills, I blame the Bills. I have no problem with Spikes' character.

He's putting his own desire to win at this level above the team. Most can't blame him since his clock is winding down while overcoming a serious injury, nevertheless that still is considered a character flaw no matter how minor it may seem. The Bills are not a SB team and that doesn't meet his expectations, period. He wants to win, and he wants to win now. Is that the fault of the current staff? I think not.

Ickybaluky
06-21-2007, 09:06 AM
What good is it for your 'offer' to be to knock one year off his deal? I mean, seriously.. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD WALKER TAKE THAT WHEN HE CAN SIMPLY SAY NO AND BECOME A FREE AGENT IMMEDIATELY?!??!? That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life.

His agent has said they have no problem accepting a 1-Year deal, they just want it for more than the $1.3M. His argument is it would make him the lowest-paid experienced DT starting in the NFL. He would accept a 1-Year deal that paid him like a starter.

patmoran2006
06-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Right..

Hence why would he accept to have one year shaven off his contract for no more money, when he can simply negotiate with 30 other teams for more money.

OpIv37
06-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Op you seriously need to find another hobby, you have said the same thing a thousand times. I don't get it.

cuz people still don't get it.

Other people have regurgitated the same crap about our DL having another year in the system 1000 times too but I don't hear you complaining about that.

OpIv37
06-21-2007, 09:18 AM
For the s-l-o-w people...

SPIKES WANT NO BE HERE.

so we traded him for Darwin Walker, who's so thrilled to be here that he hasn't even BEEN to Buffalo yet? Glad we dodged that bullet! :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
06-21-2007, 09:22 AM
so we traded him for Darwin Walker, who's so thrilled to be here that he hasn't even BEEN to Buffalo yet? Glad we dodged that bullet! :rolleyes:
for the s-l-o-w people P-r-i-c-e

OpIv37
06-21-2007, 09:23 AM
for the s-l-o-w people P-r-i-c-e

are you talking about his cap space? And what exactly have we done with that cap space since unloading Spikes' salary? Oh right, nothing.

justasportsfan
06-21-2007, 09:27 AM
are you talking about his cap space? And what exactly have we done with that cap space since unloading Spikes' salary? Oh right, nothing.

it's about o-v-e-r-p-a-y-i-n-g Walker. He may want to be here but if the bills don't feel he is worth what he's asking, then I'll leave that up to them to decide unless....... they are wrong again and you also know more than Overdorf . Wanna say so and go for the homerun?

OpIv37
06-21-2007, 09:35 AM
it's about o-v-e-r-p-a-y-i-n-g Walker. He may want to be here but if the bills don't feel he is worth what he's asking, then I'll leave that up to them to decide unless....... they are wrong again and you also know more than Overdorf . Wanna say so and go for the homerun?

Well you're the Bills' FO.

You're faced with the prospect of overpaying walker (when we have enough cap space) or having the exact same crap-tacular DL as last year.

What do you do?

Like it or not, Walker has the franchise by the balls.

And BTW, if you're not going to give the guy the contract he wants, WHY MAKE THE TRADE? It was no secret that Walker was unhappy in Philly and wanted a new deal. You'd think the Bills would have at least investigated what he wanted before making the trade to see how far apart they were- things like that happen all the time.

But hey, I'm sure you'll find some way to justify only getting a 6th round pick for Spikes and not upgrading the DL because the FO is infallible in your eyes.

justasportsfan
06-21-2007, 09:46 AM

You're faced with the prospect of overpaying walker (when we have enough cap space) or having the exact same crap-tacular DL as last year.

What do you do?

And BTW, if you're not going to give the guy the contract he wants, WHY MAKE THE TRADE? It was no secret that Walker was unhappy in Philly and wanted a new deal. You'd think the Bills would have at least investigated what he wanted before making the trade to see how far apart they were- things like that happen all the time.

But hey, I'm sure you'll find some way to justify only getting a 6th round pick for Spikes and not upgrading the DL because the FO is infallible in your eyes.

I can't say anything about that because I haven't watched Walker nor studied him like the bills have. BUt I'm sure you know more about Walker than they do and just impulsively spend anyways. Walker not only wants a raise, he most likely wants more than just 2 years. In your world, just because we need a DT you'll sign him to a multi year contract and if he blows you'll eat the dead cap.:coocoo:

I'm glad you're not the GM. You'd be bithing about your own mistakes.

Ickybaluky
06-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Walker not only wants a raise, he most likely wants more than just 2 years.

Actually, he is willing to accept a 1-Year deal, he just wants more than the $1.3M because he feels he should be paid as a starter.

See this link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2910965):

Irby said he's open to a one-year deal, but not for that kind of money.

"It doesn't make any sense," he said. "At $1.3 million, Darwin would be the lowest-paid five-year starter in the league."

Philagape
06-21-2007, 09:49 AM
He's putting his own desire to win at this level above the team. Most can't blame him since his clock is winding down while overcoming a serious injury, nevertheless that still is considered a character flaw no matter how minor it may seem. The Bills are not a SB team and that doesn't meet his expectations, period. He wants to win, and he wants to win now. Is that the fault of the current staff? I think not.

It's the Bills' job to attract players who want to win, not repel them. The Bills should want to win as much as Spikes does. If Spikes was unhappy with the way the team is going about that (throwing money at Kelsay and Walker, for example, or spending first-day picks on players who probably won't help us for years), I don't blame him at all.

Voltron
06-21-2007, 09:50 AM

What do you do?

The Bills front office will just put the same DL out there as last year because they know they can still sell out even with a crappy team. If they don't sell out the stadium they can use that as an excuse to leave Buffalo and move to a City that can buy more luxury boxes and seat less people so they can jack the price of tickets real high because of demand.

Its a win - win for the Wilson family

:sigh:

OpIv37
06-21-2007, 09:50 AM
I can't say anything about that because I haven't watched Walker nor studied him like the bills have. BUt I'm sure you know more about Walker than they do and just impulsively spend anyways. Walker not only wants a raise, he most likely wants more than just 2 years. In your world, just because we need a DT you'll sign him to a multi year contract and if he blows you'll eat the dead cap.:coocoo:

I'm glad you're not the GM. You'd be bithing about your own mistakes.

if we have a cash to cap strategy there IS no dead cap.

justasportsfan
06-21-2007, 09:52 AM
if we have a cash to cap strategy there IS no dead cap.

where did MArv say we'd stay with that forever? I thought you said GM's say crap all the time now you believe him? Make up your mind.

Ickybaluky
06-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Walker is willing to accept a 1-Year deal. This is just about the money.

OpIv37
06-21-2007, 09:55 AM
where did MArv say we'd stay with that forever? I thought you said GM's say crap all the time now you believe him? Make up your mind.

so far he's stuck to it this year.

And if we passed on other FA's because of "cash to cap" then we violate "cash to cap" in the same off-season, the fans are gonna be PISSED. It's the GM's job to keep the fans interested too, remember.

justasportsfan
06-21-2007, 10:04 AM
so far he's stuck to it this year.

And if we passed on other FA's because of "cash to cap" then we violate "cash to cap" in the same off-season, the fans are gonna be PISSED. It's the GM's job to keep the fans interested too, remember.

Yes, its the GM's job and so far, there's only a handfew of you fans are unhappy and its the same ones who think you know better. Funny thing is that, those of you were the ones who admit, they exceeded our expectations. Instead of being happy about it and giving them the benefit of the doubt, that they know what they are doing, but nooo ***** away .

OpIv37
06-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Yes, its the GM's job and so far, there's only a handfew of you fans are unhappy and its the same ones who think you know better. Funny thing is that, those of you were the ones who admit, they exceeded our expectations. Instead of being happy about it and giving them the benefit of the doubt, that they know what they are doing, but nooo ***** away .

by "giving them the benefit of the doubt" you mean "believe every word out of their mouth and assume they're right about everything".

Sorry, but I'd rather form my own opinion then let them tell me what my opinion should be.

justasportsfan
06-21-2007, 10:20 AM
by "giving them the benefit of the doubt" you mean "believe every word out of their mouth and assume they're right about everything".

that's your interpretation? No wonder why :snicker:

DraftBoy
06-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Walker is willing to accept a 1-Year deal. This is just about the money.

Since nobody seems to want their end their own pissing matches, Ill comment on this. I agree with your sediment and this is why Buffalo screwed this deal up. They knew Walker wanted money and Walker has the 'right' to ask for more money, he's a five year starter in the league and likely would of done so for us. He deserved the raise imo, and Buffalo doesnt want to give it to him, so why trade for him. Doesnt make sense at all.

Voltron
06-21-2007, 12:19 PM
It's the Bills' job to attract players who want to win, not repel them. The Bills should want to win as much as Spikes does. If Spikes was unhappy with the way the team is going about that (throwing money at Kelsay and Walker, for example, or spending first-day picks on players who probably won't help us for years), I don't blame him at all. So what you are saying is just draft people on the first day that will be walk on starters? That is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard! Not even the first rounders will all be able to walk on the field and start right away. Hell some of them never even become a viable starter! Did you forget about Mike Williams????

It is a big step from college to pros. And you only get so many picks a year. To have 50% of them on the active roster after 3 years is about normal between injuries and cuts. You have to also keep in mind that different contracts end at different times so you need to be prepared for attrition. Makes more sense to me to get a rookie in a year or 2 before you want them to start so they know the systems before getting thrown into the mix.

Philagape
06-21-2007, 12:49 PM
So what you are saying is just draft people on the first day that will be walk on starters? That is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard! Not even the first rounders will all be able to walk on the field and start right away. Hell some of them never even become a viable starter! Did you forget about Mike Williams????

It is a big step from college to pros. And you only get so many picks a year. To have 50% of them on the active roster after 3 years is about normal between injuries and cuts. You have to also keep in mind that different contracts end at different times so you need to be prepared for attrition. Makes more sense to me to get a rookie in a year or 2 before you want them to start so they know the systems before getting thrown into the mix.

There's a big difference between walk-on starters and guys who, if things go right, will NEVER start for us. That's the case for Edwards. The only way he'll contribute is if something else goes wrong (in which case the team gains nothing), or through a trade for better picks, which adds even more risk to the risk that comes with every draft pick.

What's idiotic is calling something idiotic when you totally misinterpret it. :whoosh:

madness
06-21-2007, 12:56 PM
There's a big difference between walk-on starters and guys who, if things go right, will NEVER start for us. That's the case for Edwards. The only way he'll contribute is if something else goes wrong (in which case the team gains nothing), or through a trade for better picks, which adds even more risk to the risk that comes with every draft pick.

What's idiotic is calling something idiotic when you totally misinterpret it. :whoosh:

I see now. It's like when we wasted the that third round on Reich when we already had Kelly.

Reich was drafted by the Buffalo Bills (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bills) in the third round (57th overall) in the 1985 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985) NFL Draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft). Unfortunately for Reich, the Bills already had a franchise quarterback in future Hall of Famer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Football_Hall_of_Fame) Jim Kelly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kelly), and Reich was relegated to the backup role for several years. Reich got his first start when Kelly went down with a shoulder injury in 1989 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989). Reich capably led the Bills to two straight victories, including one over the then-undefeated Los Angeles Rams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_Rams), before giving the reins back to Kelly. Late in the fourth quarter versus the Rams, Reich made a sensational quarterback sneak, breaking through the Rams defensive line to score the touchdown that won the Bills the game. Reich returned the following season, however, when Kelly was injured again late in the season. Reich once again stepped up and provided the Bills with two key wins, clinching them the AFC East (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_East) title and home field advantage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_field_advantage) throughout the playoffs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_1990-91).
Reich's defining moment in his pro career, coincidentally, is another comeback, this one often called the greatest comeback in NFL history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Comeback_%28American_football%29) in the playoffs following the 1992 season over the Houston Oilers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_Titans). Reich led the Bills on a 35-3 run in the second half and overtime against the Oiler defense en route to a 41-38 victory. Reich would help the Bills defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers) in the divisional round before once again giving the team back to Kelly, who led them into Super Bowl XXVII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXVII), where they fell to the Dallas Cowboys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys) 52-17.

justasportsfan
06-21-2007, 01:01 PM
I see now. It's like when we wasted the that third round on Reich when we already had Kelly.
Reich is the exception to the rule. Not the rule. :huh:

madness
06-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Reich is the exception to the rule. Not the rule. :huh:

With all these exceptions, somebody needs to write an new rule book.

justasportsfan
06-21-2007, 01:16 PM
With all these exceptions, somebody needs to write an new rule book.
If it happened to another team or the bills, it can't happen to the bills again. :huh:

raphael120
06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
The Bills have to watch it here though.

Throw a lot of money at Walker and he is also a big no show when it comes to production ala Triplett, you're seeing A LOT of money AND draft picks wasted on a position that is piss poor.

Saratoga Slim
06-21-2007, 01:53 PM
I have no issue with this line of thinking in fact I agree with it. We had to dump Spikes. My concern solely lies in the fact that this FO agreed to impose a deadline upon themselves in order to get Walker's new deal done. I think they made a good offer to Walker by cutting off one of the back end. By why agree to lose him if he doesnt report, just fine the hell out of him and make a point to him and other players that you wont be bullied by contract hawk agents. I dont like the return clause they agreed to.
I couldn't agree more, DB.

First, while I'm pissed we don't have TKO anymore and think he would have played at a pretty high level for us, I understand that there was probably a lot going on behind the scenes that may have made it something of a necessity to let him go, and getting something for him was better than the nothing we would have gotten by cutting him. I don't like the trade, but I'm reconciled to it.

Second, I agree that the return-to-Philly-for-a-6th was a great idea if it was our OPTION. But if its an automatic return if we can't reach a deal, that strips us of any negotiating leverage and was just plain dumb. I'd rather have that bastard sitting at home collecting fines then see him with the complete upper hand he apparently has now.

Saratoga Slim
06-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Actually, he is willing to accept a 1-Year deal, he just wants more than the $1.3M because he feels he should be paid as a starter.

See this link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2910965):

I can't say I disagree with him. I do find it hard to believe that we're not offering more than 1.3 though.

Philagape
06-21-2007, 01:55 PM

When Trent Edwards leads us to a miracle comeback in the playoffs, you'll have a point.