• Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Bills, Walker hit an impasse

from AP wire ...

Walker prepared for free agency after talks with Bills hit impasse
    By JOHN WAWROW
    AP Sports Writer
    BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - From Philadelphia to Buffalo and potentially back again: Defensive tackle Darwin Walker is prepared for anything - even becoming a free agent in August - after contract talks with the Bills reached an impasse Wednesday.
    "Whether we're done talking, I don't want to go that far," Walker's agent, Albert Irby, told The Associated Press after talks broke down. "I've got to hope they change their mind, because I can tell you we're not changing ours."
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills, Walker hit an impasse

More quotes from the agent:

"It's left me disappointed," Irby said, noting most teams have restructured contracts when acquiring players in the past. "They, for some shocking reason to me, knew this and made the trade and then didn't want to do the deal."
    Irby held out hope that the Bills might increase their offer by July 25, when players report for the start of training camp.
    "This could be a strategy of theirs because nothing is going on between now and then," Irby said. "Before I say, 'Not optimistic,' I've seen these kind of deals before where at the 11th hour something gets done. So the door's cracked open."
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

so basically we traded spikes and KH for a sixth round draft pick. You win some you lose some.

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

We also got another 2008 pick

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Goobylal
            • Jan 2004

As opposed to getting nothing had they just released them.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal
              As opposed to getting nothing had they just released them.
              or having at least one LB with experience had they kept him.

Seriously, I don't know why so many people are so willing to give young guys like Youboty, DiGiorgio, Ellison, etc a chance and saying they need more time in the system, yet the same people are not willing to let a proven pro bowler in Spikes have another year to recover from his injuries.

but I digress.

The scariest part of this: so far, this year's DL is looking a LOT like last year's. The only difference is McCargo who still isn't fully recovered. Looks like our dream of cutting Tim Anderson is fading away....
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Sorry , but this totally blows. I also believe that the Bills had absolutely no friggin clue that Walker's rights reverted back to Philly.

His agent is a genious because he gets alot more money as a free agent.

Think about it. Why would Walker do this deal??

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

WRT Spikes, even if the Bills wanted to keep him, which I believe they didn't, he wanted out of Buffalo. The Bills obliged him and probably would have cut him had the Eagles not come calling. And for a young team, it wasn't worth ******ing the development of a young and promising player and spending $5M in the faint hopes that a LB on the wrong side of 30 would buck the ENORMOUS odds against him and return from a devastating Achilles tendon rupture.

As for Fletch, the Bills didn't want him back period, experience notwithstanding. Again given his age and that he's proven what he CAN'T do, why ****** a young and promising player's growth?

And as for the DT's, sorry but they're not "looking a LOT like last year." All of them have a year in the cover-2 (especially Hargrove who was acquired mid-season and thus missed all the OTA's, mini-camps, training camp, and pre-season) which is huge. Williams has his rookie year behind him, which is just as huge. Ideally McCargo will be ready to go when training camp starts, but even without him, the DL should be better than what it was last year.

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    Sorry , but this totally blows. I also believe that the Bills had absolutely no friggin clue that Walker's rights reverted back to Philly.

His agent is a genious because he gets alot more money as a free agent.

Think about it. Why would Walker do this deal??
                    Of course they knew! Why would Philly, on their own, agree to take him back after August 5th and give-up a pick, when they were probably going to release him anyway?

And I doubt Walker gets more money than he's leaving on the table with the Bills. Maybe it's more guaranteed, but I doubt he gets more. Then again, the Redskins ARE out there.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

WRT Spikes, even if the Bills wanted to keep him, which I believe they didn't, he wanted out of Buffalo. The Bills obliged him and probably would have cut him had the Eagles not come calling. And for a young team, it wasn't worth ******ing the development of a young and promising player and spending $5M in the faint hopes that a LB on the wrong side of 30 would buck the ENORMOUS odds against him and return from a devastating Achilles tendon rupture.

As for Fletch, the Bills didn't want him back period, experience notwithstanding. Again given his age and that he's proven what he CAN'T do, why ****** a young and promising player's growth?

And as for the DT's, sorry but they're not "looking a LOT like last year." All of them have a year in the cover-2 (especially Hargrove who was acquired mid-season and thus missed all the OTA's, mini-camps, training camp, and pre-season) which is huge. Williams has his rookie year behind him, which is just as huge. Ideally McCargo will be ready to go when training camp starts, but even without him, the DL should be better than what it was last year.
                      It's not EMORMOUS odds to start a UDFA with ZERO game experience at LB?

As far as the DL it's the EXACT same as last year with the possible exception of McCargo, and this will essentially be his rookie year (which you say is huge to get past). We were 28th in run D. 28TH!!!! These guys have been playing football for their whole lives and suddenly 1 year of experience in the system is going to be enough to improve the 28th ranked run D with no additional talent? Sorry but that's just not a realistic expectation.

As far as Hargrove, I love the guy's attitude but he just didn't show much on the field. Maybe he missed last year's OTA's but what's his excuse for the end of the season? by that time he had over two months to learn.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                        Roways rooking ahread!
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37

As far as the DL it's the EXACT same as last year with the possible exception of McCargo, and this will essentially be his rookie year (which you say is huge to get past). We were 28th in run D. 28TH!!!! These guys have been playing football for their whole lives and suddenly 1 year of experience in the system is going to be enough to improve the 28th ranked run D with no additional talent? Sorry but that's just not a realistic expectation.

As far as Hargrove, I love the guy's attitude but he just didn't show much on the field. Maybe he missed last year's OTA's but what's his excuse for the end of the season? by that time he had over two months to learn.
                        POZ + another years experience and the offense forcing our opponents to do more predictable things will put us middle of the road in total defense, probably around 18th-20th.

Add in a much better offensive showing and we're talking .500 + record.

If we sign Walker and the DiG kid is the goods well we might be looking at more but we'll wait and see how this plays out. I think we'll know by week 10 how we look and with the schedule we have, lord knows we need everybody ready.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

WRT Spikes, even if the Bills wanted to keep him, which I believe they didn't, he wanted out of Buffalo.
                          I have no issue with this line of thinking in fact I agree with it. We had to dump Spikes. My concern solely lies in the fact that this FO agreed to impose a deadline upon themselves in order to get Walker's new deal done. I think they made a good offer to Walker by cutting off one of the back end. By why agree to lose him if he doesnt report, just fine the hell out of him and make a point to him and other players that you wont be bullied by contract hawk agents. I dont like the return clause they agreed to.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Bling
                            • Jul 2004

What happens if Walker becomes a FA, and you guys sign Walker afterwards. Do you get the pick and Walker?

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              More than a rookie? Nope.

Take a look at the Bears in 2004 versus 2005 and last year to see how wrong your line of thinking is. Heck take a look at the Pats' defense in 2000 versus 2001. Defenses take time to learn new schemes. This is pretty much known by everyone. Well, almost everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X