• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

ESPN: The days of building a defense alone to win a Super Bowl have ended

I felt the exact same way and have mentioned that teams that can score better seem to press the other team to have to become more predictable during the game. That makes it easier to defend and if uneven enough forces teams to go strictly pass for attempts at quick scores.

If JP can run the big gun offense as I think he can, we really have a great shot at going far into the playoffs. Think about just last year if we added just 5 points per game to each loss last season alone, we would of been 12-4 if the games finished the same.

If JP gets this down and he has the time to work, we are going places.

The Buffalo Bills are another team that could take a big step forward on offense. QB J.P. Losman looked great running a version of the Rams' offense last week in minicamp. With the talent on hand and improvement by Losman, the Bills could easily jump from 18.8 points per game into the 20s. But that improvement on offense might not be enough for a Buffalo team that lost three key defensive starters.

While defense is needed to win a championship, in today's NFL you need an offense that can score points, too, writes John Clayton.
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: ESPN: The days of building a defense alone to win a Super Bowl have ended

They also mention this:

QB Drew Brees had an even bigger impact in New Orleans, helping boost the Saints' scoring average by more than 11 points (14.7 to 25.8 points per game) and leading them to the NFC title game.

Which without me getting LT's negs and FTP on new medication is obvious that camp Miami has not chosen the right QB's to lead them. They had a shot a Brees and choosed an injured culpepper and had a shot at you know who this draft and have choosed a injured Ginn. I know neither of the draftees played a down yet but why would you take another injured guy (WR none the less) when you had 2 relatively healthy QB's available and passed on both of them for 2 injured guys (one of which just became a bust)?

P.S. I am happy with the fins actions, for Our Bills sake.

P.S.S. This is by request:

Dear Daunte:

This is just one fans opinion, but keep your head up bro. Not everyone agrees with the way the Dolphins handled you and your situation. I for one do not feel much pride in this team with this situation, I think it was classless the way it was handled and I think you deserve better, all players that have the love and respect of their teammates desreve better and you had that with this team.

I hope your next stop is a good one and you return to form. You deserve it because of the hard work and the hart you've shown since this injury. I also want to thank you for wanting to help this team succeed and wanting to be a Dolphin. Even though you came back to soon and that decision probably cost you your future in Miami, I know you did so because you're a competitor and you want to succeed as much as any player on this team, including the pressure to win you faced in you decisions.

I'll root for you wherever you land, I think there are some serious flaws in NFL circles and sometimes the good guy's lose. I also have no problem with you forcing your release, there has to be some sorta of consequence for the treatment you've endored the last few months since the new coaching staff arrived and you aren't the only player to suffer such poor treatment around the league. I sat and watched Cam Cameron state with my own eyes and ears he wouldn't evaluate any player till they were a 100%, he obviously didn't mean you cause he obviously never intented on giving you that chance, even though the conversation at the time was about you.

I still love my team, but I just wanted you to know that not everything that happens with this team is something I'm proud to be a part of or watch.
    Just like when players do things wrong or make mistakes and the organization feels the need to seperate themselves and their actions or intentions from a players, I feel the need to do the same with this team at this time. I care more about the players then some individuals within the FO and more specifically the coaching staff at this point in time.

Stay strong Bro and thanks again for the effort, you're a class act.

FTP.

Comment

Typical Clayton.

Here are the scoring ranks of the teams that have won the SB going back from '05:

9th
      4th
      12th
      18th
      6th
      14th
      1st
      2nd
      1st
      1st
      3rd
      1st
      2nd
      2nd
      1st
      15th

That takes us back thru our four SBs.

Indy would have needed a D had they faced just about any other team from the NFC.

Tampa also didn't need much of a D to overcome Oakland's pass only offense in '02.

The Giants beat us simply by controlling the clock b/c we ran the no huddle. They didn't score a lot of points.

Indy this year had one of the easiest paths to a SB win and one of the easiest opponents of all time once they got there. NE did their dirty work for them by beating SD. Otherwise the Colts would have had to go to SD to get shredded by LT.

This past playoffs was one of the weakest ever. Probably a product of exactly what the NFL wants. SD was the only playoff team of 16 that had D, O, and STs all ranked among the top 10.

Indy beat the Chiefs (no D), Ravens (no O), NE (one of the worst teams they've fielded in years), and then Chicago (Grossman) in the SB.

Weak. They didn't play SD, or Dallas, Philly, or NO, the three teams with the best Os in the playoffs, at least balanced Os.

Grossman was a disaster waiting to happen. He played poorly against all decent Ds all season long, loaded up like Bledsoe against scrub teams for stats, and then got spanked in the POs. He always has and still sucks as a QB. He's a backup thru and thru.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

you mean the colts won it all with D alone,wys?

And what's up with BB loading up on O? Dude must be clueless.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
        X