Bills thinking hard about the Supp draft and Paul Oliver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Bills thinking hard about the Supp draft and Paul Oliver?

Heres the excerpt:

-- Oliver's Workout Mixed --
    Wed Jun 20, 2007 --from FFMastermind.com
    ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports Georgia CB Paul Oliver, who was declared academically ineligible last month and will enter the NFL's supplemental draft on July 12, on Wednesday auditioned for more than two dozen league scouts. While the results from the workout were mixed, Oliver is still almost certain to be chosen in the supplemental draft, but probably not higher than the third round. Any team that selects a player in the supplemental draft, which typically includes only about two or three prospects who are "special case" entries, will forfeit its corresponding choice in the 2008 draft. Oliver did not dazzle scouts in the 40-yard dash, where most scouts contacted by ESPN.com clocked him in the mid- to high-4.5s, and one timed him at 4.62. But speed has never been a strong suit for Oliver, who possesses excellent natural coverage abilities, solid "ball" skills, and good football instincts. At the league's predraft combine in February, most of the top cornerbacks were clocked in the mid-4.4s in the 40. Listed at 6-feet-0 and 205 pounds on the Georgia roster last year, Oliver was 5-feet-10 5/8 and 195 pounds for the Wednesday workout on campus. "It's been a while since he's played and he's probably only been training hard for this [audition] for about a month," said Buffalo Bills scout Joe Haering. "So he's a little rusty." Most scouts acknowledged that Oliver, who registered a 33 ½-inch vertical jump and a time of just under 7.3 seconds in the three-cone change of direction drill during the one-hour session, is better on game day than in a workout environment. Toward that end, Oliver demonstrated good range, hands and burst to the football in individual position-type drills. "You always feel like you can do better," Oliver said. "But what's done is done. You've got to make the best of it. All I can do is keep working hard, get into [an NFL training] camp, and show that I belong at that level. I feel like I'll have an opportunity." Several clubs intrigued by Oliver's potential are expected to arrange individual workouts for him over the next few weeks.

Is this posturing to draft him? The guy shut down Calvin Johnson, why not spend our extra 3rd rounder on him?

• TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

Re: Bills thinking hard about the Supp draft and Paul Oliver?

I am just wondering where you came up with the title of the thread and where you came up with the idea the Bills are thinking hard about this? I would think it is obvious that they are interested in improving.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Toward that end, Oliver demonstrated good range, hands and burst to the football in individual position-type drills.

That's the key read in the article. If our OTA's showed a concern at DB and he's still there in Round 3, it's a good gamble.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

There's no 2 ways about it, I want this guy on our team, but how much will it cost? Its tough giving up a 2nd rder.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by jp-era
          where most scouts contacted by ESPN.com clocked him in the mid- to high-4.5s, and one timed him at 4.62. But speed has never been a strong suit for Oliver, who possesses excellent natural coverage abilities, solid "ball" skills, and good football instincts. At the league's predraft combine in February, most of the top cornerbacks were clocked in the mid-4.4s in the 40. Listed at 6-feet-0 and 205 pounds on the Georgia roster last year, Oliver was 5-feet-10 5/8 and 195 pounds for the Wednesday workout on campus... who registered a 33 ½-inch vertical jump and a time of just under 7.3 seconds in the three-cone change of direction drill during the one-hour session, is better on game day than in a workout environment.
          Change the name and it sounds almost the same as Daymeion Hughes:

- At the combine Hughes measured about 5-10, 190#, while Oliver measured about 5-11, 195# at his workout

- At the combines Hughes ran about 4.65 in the 40 while Oliver ran about 4.6 at his workout

- At the combine Hughes ran the 3-Cone drill in 7.28 while Oliver ran it in 7.3 at his workout (not a great time for a CB)

- Both players are considered to be better players on the field than timed athletes

One of the biggest concerns raised about Hughes workout at the combine was his short-shuttle time, which was 4.43, so I'm curious about Oliver's short-shuttle time. The short shuttle is important for a CB because it is said to show how quickly they turn their hips. For instance, Champ Bailey ran his short-shuttle in 3.79 at the combine, an incredible time.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

I absolutely hate when workouts get overvalued-- and everybody sometimes fall victim to workout numbers.

I know I did last year. Broderik Bunkley was the greatest thing since sliced bread last year after the combine.

From everything I've read about Oliver he has shutdown corner written all over him. I'd be pumped if we used a third rounder and got him.

This is already a team that I feel is too young to contend in 2007. Why not add another talented cornerback and get him some experience THIS year.

The fewer holes the Bills have with as few youngsters as possible sets them up better for a title run in 2008.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              From everything I've read about Oliver he has shutdown corner written all over him.
              Based on what, one game against Calvin Johnson? Calvin Johnson was shut down effectively in a few games. It had as much to do with the QB throwing him the ball and S help over the top as anything else.

I'm not saying Oliver is going to suck, but he isn't Champ Bailey. He does seem like a better fit in a Cover-2/Zone based defense like the Bills run, but if he were really considered a potential "shutdown" defender he would be rated higher than the 3rd round, whether it was the supplemental draft or not.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                Based on what, one game against Calvin Johnson? Calvin Johnson was shut down effectively in a few games. It had as much to do with the QB throwing him the ball and S help over the top as anything else.

I'm not saying Oliver is going to suck, but he isn't Champ Bailey. He does seem like a better fit in a Cover-2/Zone based defense like the Bills run, but if he were really considered a potential "shutdown" defender he would be rated higher than the 3rd round, whether it was the supplemental draft or not.
                don't mind Moran. He changes his mind about everything ,especially players .
                Last edited by justasportsfan; 06-21-2007, 09:04 AM.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                  • Jul 2002

Lets grab this guy.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                    Pinkerton's son
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    I absolutely hate when workouts get overvalued-- and everybody sometimes fall victim to workout numbers.

I know I did last year. Broderik Bunkley was the greatest thing since sliced bread last year after the combine.

From everything I've read about Oliver he has shutdown corner written all over him. I'd be pumped if we used a third rounder and got him.

This is already a team that I feel is too young to contend in 2007. Why not add another talented cornerback and get him some experience THIS year.

The fewer holes the Bills have with as few youngsters as possible sets them up better for a title run in 2008.
                    I agree. Look at Mario Williams. I really dont know so can someone enlighten me to how he was ranked before workouts? Suddenly people realize his physical abilities and POOF hes better than Reggie Bush and gets taken number one overall, then comes to the pros and from what I've seen, got mandhandled by most NFL linemen. Thats why i was a little wary of Patrick Willis, though he did have the stats and productivity to back it up. Its also why I like Poz, bc he simply produced, no matter if his workout times were mediocre.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                      • Feb 2005

I think it would be an aggressive move and not a waste of a 3rd or 4th rounder, cause if u think of it how raw was Terrance McGee when we took him in the 4th, and looks at the usual prospect taken in the round at that point they are not expected to be starters, so this could be a win win for Buffalo, i am always in favor of adding talent competition and letting it blossom, we will see what happens, but i wouldnt get our hopes up i think the Bills have a high hard one for Jason Webster
                      XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

According to the Carroll County Times, Oliver has already set up private workouts with SD and ATL:

University of Georgia cornerback Paul Oliver conducted a personal workout for 27 NFL teams Wednesday. He was reportedly clocked between 4.5 and 4.58 seconds in the 40-yard dash and registered a 33 1/2 vertical leap.

Oliver has already set up meetings with the Falcons and San Diego Chargers and is considered a potential third-round draft pick.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                          • Apr 2004

Pass. I would not give up a day one pick for someone with academic question marks. I question his commitment to study a playbook, his smarts, and his work ethic. Day one? No thanks.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by andyxc71
                            Pass. I would not give up a day one pick for someone with academic question marks. I question his commitment to study a playbook, his smarts, and his work ethic. Day one? No thanks.
                            I have the same general concern, but I've got to say I'm not quite as worried about it for a CB, RB, or WR as other positions. I think those positions require a lot more intiution than memorization.
                            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• John Doe
                              Florida Man
                              • Jul 2002

I would rather save the pick and draft a corner with size and speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X