X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cocamide
    • Oct 2006

A little something about Fred Smerlas

Lately I've been reading Sal Maiorana's "Game of My Life" and here's a quote from Fred Smerlas, "A lot of times people run on the field and you think something bad is going to happen, because they're going to go nuts. But Buffalo's not like New York City or some of these other places where there's a lot of a$$holes." Also, when he played for the 49ers and Patriots, he always wore a Bills t-shirt under his shoulder pads. I just thought it was funny and that I should share it with everyone.

Any other great Bills' quotes you can think of?
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: A little something about Fred Smerlas

Where are we going??

We going to the show.

I just loved that.

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

thanks fred but when i jumped on the field the second time there were buffalo a$$holes cutting out pieces of the turf
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Uh, the old turf perhaps prior to replacement?

Too bad we don't have any players on D like Fred these days.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Wys Guy
          Uh, the old turf perhaps prior to replacement?

Too bad we don't have any players on D like Fred these days.
          thus my avatar photo
          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
            thus my avatar photo
            Yeah, I miss players like Smerlas, Bruce, Wright, Talley, Biscuit, and the OL we once had too.

Tasker's my all-time fave though.

That guy was poetry in motion on the field. Whenever the team needed a big special teams play, and even when they didn't, you could count on Tasker to level someone on a return. He'd weasel in and out of traffic and make a hit better than anyone I've ever seen cover kicks could.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Wys Guy
              Yeah, I miss players like Smerlas, Bruce, Wright, Talley, Biscuit, and the OL we once had too.

Tasker's my all-time fave though.

That guy was poetry in motion on the field. Whenever the team needed a big special teams play, and even when they didn't, you could count on Tasker to level someone on a return. He'd weasel in and out of traffic and make a hit better than anyone I've ever seen cover kicks could.
              for sure. one of the other things I miss most about the glory years are the major personalities we had on the field (Kelly, Brooooce, Smerlas etc.). I remember seeing an article in the early 90s interviewing NFL players and asking each what they expected to be in 20 years. Most of the responses were what you'd expect, things like "I'm hoping to have a successful career in broadcasting......, start a real estate investment business....., etc." Fred Smerlas' three word response: "fat, drunk and hairy."
              Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                Legendary Zoner
                • Jul 2002

I miss Mini Max Anderson.

Comment

• cocamide
                  • Oct 2006

for sure. one of the other things I miss most about the glory years are the major personalities we had on the field (Kelly, Brooooce, Smerlas etc.). I remember seeing an article in the early 90s interviewing NFL players and asking each what they expected to be in 20 years. Most of the responses were what you'd expect, things like "I'm hoping to have a successful career in broadcasting......, start a real estate investment business....., etc." Fred Smerlas' three word response: "fat, drunk and hairy."
                  That's great. I'm really hoping that all this young talent on this team can come together with the goal to win. These guys have got to be hungry for some success.

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

His book By A Nose is hysterical.

You can still check it out of the Buffalo Library.

Comment

LOL

He certainly isn't afraid to voice his opinions. Ever listen to him on Bob Matthews? He's a riot.

Comment

Working...
                      X