PDA

View Full Version : What's the holdup on Sam Adams? Ralph Willson - The Man With the Cash

RedEyE
03-17-2003, 06:18 AM
After adjusting to the sticker shock of landing Spikes with a six-year, $32 million deal, the Bills were regrouping, presumably with the idea of going after top defensive tackle Sam Adams.

A dialogue with Adams' agent, Angelo Wright, has been kept open.

"I'm upbeat," Wright said. "I think both parties recognize Sam could be an integral cog in the Bills getting to a Super Bowl."

What it will take is Buffalo's football department convincing owner Ralph Wilson to pony up another $5 million a year for Adams. Wilson is asking, "If Spikes is so good, and I just gave him $11 million in guaranteed money, why can't we get by with more affordable, lesser-talented bodies up front?"

Good question, but Bills fans all remember how much 350-pound plus DT Ted Washington impacted Buffalo's defense during playoff runs in 1998 and '99.

Buffalo's new regime realizes what a mistake it was to cut Washington and want another player like him back in the fold.

The 6-3, 330-pound Adams is seen as someone capable of keeping blockers off what has now become a potentially dominant linebacking corps of London Fletcher, Jeff Posey and Spikes. Ironically, Wright represents Washington, too, along with current Bills DT Pat Williams.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/home.htm

Buffarama
03-17-2003, 06:45 AM
If the rumors are true that Sam wants 5 million, I think he's asking too much.

ArcticWildMan
03-17-2003, 06:54 AM
I like this quote: "By the signing of Drew first and now me, this is the best kept secret (in the NFL)," he said of the Bills. "I think everybody now is going to pay attention to what takes place in Buffalo."

:D

Dozerdog
03-17-2003, 07:09 AM
They make it sound like Wilson is going to be a tightwad.

The Cap is $75 million- every dime of it is going to get used. It's just a matter of how big a slice of the salcap pie Adams will take.

And it's not Wilson's call- he gave that job to TD

Earthquake Enyart
03-17-2003, 07:15 AM
The problem, if there is one, is probably about the size of the signing bonus.

Once again, I don't see other teams beating his door down, so TD is right to stand firm. The less money to Adams, the more that is left to sign others.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2003, 08:01 AM
I agree. We want him but if there are no other takers, his $$ will come down. Let's wait it out.

WG
03-17-2003, 09:28 AM
Not only that Miyagi, we don't need Adams. All we need is a capable DT to open things up a bit. We don't need the best.

I think we'd actually be better off w/ a rookie like Joseph or another that we might be able to trade up for. Adams is a huge gamble. And while that article may be right that we perhaps should have kept TW for another year, he still wasn't an everydown player so that is arguable anyway.

TD is right to wait Adams out and spend some cap elsewhere to send Wright a message!

Earthquake Enyart
03-17-2003, 09:36 AM
Look what happened to Kordell. He turned down a 5 year $25 mil contract from the Bears, then when Blake signed, the Bears pulled it and gave him a 2 year $4.75 mil.

mchurchfie
03-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Kordelia never was the sharpest Ginso in the rack to be begin with. Has anyone brought it to Big Sams attention that he would be residing in the "Chickenwing Capitol of the World" if he signed here?? Hell, I'l buy him the first truckload:D:church:

Ð
03-17-2003, 10:37 AM
The Anchor Bar will need extra wheelbarrows.