• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla admin
    • Jul 2002

Toronto will act fast, aggressively if Bills are put on auction block

....when Ralph Wilson is called home, the Bills will go to auction and be sold to the highest bidder, maximizing the return to his heirs. And at that moment, whenever it might come, some cruel realities will dawn on the loyal, long-suffering football fans of the Niagara Frontier.
    The Bills are worth a king's ransom anywhere, but they're worth a whole lot more somewhere other than Buffalo. No prospective owner could pay the going rate for the franchise and then hope to finance, let alone recoup, his investment in that city.
    It is true that the NFL's great, collectivist revenue-sharing policy, especially when it comes to television, allows small-market franchises such as Green Bay to survive next to giants such as the ones in New York.
    But in order to justify that kind of purchase price, an owner is going to have to max out on other, unshared revenue as well. That's simply not possible in a small, shrinking, economically challenged city, with a stadium that is a relic of a bygone time.
    Barring the appearance of a true philanthropist, someone who is willing to outbid all competition and then underwrite the franchise for years to come just to keep it in Buffalo (Sabres owner Tom Golisano's name is the one that keeps popping up), it seems certain that the Bills will be sold, at a price that provides the maximum return to Wilson's estate, and inevitably moved.
    Which brings us, of course, to Toronto.
    Ted Rogers is 74 years old. Paul Godfrey is a youthful 68. Larry Tanenbaum will turn 62 next month.
    All of them are up to their necks in the pursuit of an NFL franchise (Godfrey has been for eons now). All of them are operating as individuals and not for the benefit of a corporate entity that might reap benefits long after they're gone.

full story
    Pretty harsh words about Buffalo, but the author is Canadian, eh?
    i hate reading like this. What are the odds that Golisano can step up and buy the Bills? i don't want them to move out of Buffalo.

• X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Toronto will act fast, aggressively if Bills are put on auction block

Originally posted by shelby
    full story
    i hate reading like this. What are the odds that Golisano can step up and buy the Bills? i don't want them to move out of Buffalo.
    Its complete BS. It will simply take another week or two for this crap to die down so we can get back to Football.

Ive been hearing this garbage for a decade and it hasnt happened yet, I like those odds.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

no what you have been hearing for decades is that ralph himself would move the team. that was complete bs

this isnt

as much as i hate the idea it seems to me that losing the team is inevitable, unfortunately for the exact reasons stated in the article

given that reality moving to toronto wouldnt be too bad. wed still get to treat them as a 'home' team, see all the games, and although it would take a little longer wed still get to drive to games
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Crisis
          • Aug 2004

**** toronto
          Originally posted by LOSman WINS
          Vanek is Austrian not European
          Originally posted by Prov401
          Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
          Originally posted by better days
          I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

This is the quote that unfortunately I find most true....

No prospective owner could pay the going rate for the franchise and then hope to finance, let alone recoup, his investment in that city.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Bulldog
              Top Dog
              • Jan 2003

If the Bills move to Toronto, I will no longer be a fan. I will find other things to do with my time on Sundays that don't include the NFL.
              I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Bulldog
                Top Dog
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                This is the quote that unfortunately I find most true....

No prospective owner could pay the going rate for the franchise and then hope to finance, let alone recoup, his investment in that city.
                Thats funny. The Sabres seem to be doing all right. And the season tickets for the Sabres are a hell of a lot more expensive than the Bills. I don't but that for a minuet. And if Toronto thinks that Buffalo is going to sit and watch their team get yanked out from underneath them, they got another thing coming. Buffalo is one of 32 cities that has the privaledge of having NFL football, an honor that I don't think is lost on the local business leaders and politicians.
                I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

I agree.

The city isnt just going to sit back and let this team go without a fight. I'd imagine every possible thing would be done to keep them here, and I do like the fact Goodel is a WNY guy.

Hopefully in the end that matters.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• SABuffalo786
                    • Feb 2003

Stick to the CFL, hosers!
                    "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
                    We are the Rockpile
                    We are the Rockpile
                    BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by shelby
                      full story
                      ****ing ****S!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

This whole situation is complete bull****. We support this team for years and years even through bad teams and no winning and this **** is constantly thrown in our faces. It pisses me off so ****ing much. It would be a travesty for this team to move especially to Toronto. I would rather have them go to LA then have dick head Canadians rub this **** in our faces for the rest of my life. Of course as this ******* society is set up a lot is never enough. We are all greedy PIGS. No Wilson's C Bag daughters and wife couldn't POSSIBLY survive on a measely 600 million. They better whore out the team and get 1 billion dollars but in the process rip the heart out of an already struggling city. Yep that sounds about right. IT MAKES ME ****ING SICK!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          I do like the fact Goodel is a WNY guy.

Hopefully in the end that matters.
                          Trust me it won't matter.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

It's the equivalent of a drunk in a bar talking trash. Means nothing.

I have a good friend who's been predicting every year since the Erie County lease buyout kicked in that the Bills would be leaving within 2 years. What many fail to realize is that many smaller markets have the same buyout and could move in a moments notice also. Exactly where are they going ? Who has a Billion dollars and a NFL ready stadium ?

We all know the Bills situation with old man Ralph, the local economy.. blah, blah, blah, blah. The Bills may indeed eventually leave but the talk is nothing more than farting into the wind right now.

In the meantime, I still have Club seats and enjoy the Bills games in Orchard Park 10 times a year, plus several visits to Rochacha for camp. Sitting around predicting doom is a proven waste of time.

Go Bills and screw the outsiders.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                              Roways rooking ahread!
                              • Sep 2005

It would be ironic that in the end Willis was right about this.

Comment

Working...
                              X