PDA

View Full Version : Toronto will act fast, aggressively if Bills are put on auction block

shelby
06-22-2007, 05:46 AM
....when Ralph Wilson is called home, the Bills will go to auction and be sold to the highest bidder, maximizing the return to his heirs. And at that moment, whenever it might come, some cruel realities will dawn on the loyal, long-suffering football fans of the Niagara Frontier.
The Bills are worth a king's ransom anywhere, but they're worth a whole lot more somewhere other than Buffalo. No prospective owner could pay the going rate for the franchise and then hope to finance, let alone recoup, his investment in that city.
It is true that the NFL's great, collectivist revenue-sharing policy, especially when it comes to television, allows small-market franchises such as Green Bay to survive next to giants such as the ones in New York.
But in order to justify that kind of purchase price, an owner is going to have to max out on other, unshared revenue as well. That's simply not possible in a small, shrinking, economically challenged city, with a stadium that is a relic of a bygone time.
Barring the appearance of a true philanthropist, someone who is willing to outbid all competition and then underwrite the franchise for years to come just to keep it in Buffalo (Sabres owner Tom Golisano's name is the one that keeps popping up), it seems certain that the Bills will be sold, at a price that provides the maximum return to Wilson's estate, and inevitably moved.
Which brings us, of course, to Toronto.
Ted Rogers is 74 years old. Paul Godfrey is a youthful 68. Larry Tanenbaum will turn 62 next month.
All of them are up to their necks in the pursuit of an NFL franchise (Godfrey has been for eons now). All of them are operating as individuals and not for the benefit of a corporate entity that might reap benefits long after they're gone.
[/URL]
[URL=http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070621.wsptbrunt21/GSStory/GlobeSports]full story (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070621.wstpbrunt21/GSStory/GlobeSports)
Pretty harsh words about Buffalo, but the author is Canadian, eh?
i hate reading :curse: like this. What are the odds that Golisano can step up and buy the Bills? i don't want them to move out of Buffalo.

X-Era
06-22-2007, 05:51 AM
full story (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070621.wsptbrunt21/GSStory/GlobeSports)
i hate reading :curse: like this. What are the odds that Golisano can step up and buy the Bills? i don't want them to move out of Buffalo.

Its complete BS. It will simply take another week or two for this crap to die down so we can get back to Football.

Ive been hearing this garbage for a decade and it hasnt happened yet, I like those odds.

clumping platelets
06-22-2007, 05:55 AM
:mad:

Meathead
06-22-2007, 06:10 AM
no what you have been hearing for decades is that ralph himself would move the team. that was complete bs

this isnt

as much as i hate the idea it seems to me that losing the team is inevitable, unfortunately for the exact reasons stated in the article

given that reality moving to toronto wouldnt be too bad. wed still get to treat them as a 'home' team, see all the games, and although it would take a little longer wed still get to drive to games

Crisis
06-22-2007, 07:04 AM
**** toronto

patmoran2006
06-22-2007, 07:21 AM
This is the quote that unfortunately I find most true....

No prospective owner could pay the going rate for the franchise and then hope to finance, let alone recoup, his investment in that city.

Bulldog
06-22-2007, 07:24 AM
If the Bills move to Toronto, I will no longer be a fan. I will find other things to do with my time on Sundays that don't include the NFL.

Bulldog
06-22-2007, 07:29 AM
This is the quote that unfortunately I find most true....

No prospective owner could pay the going rate for the franchise and then hope to finance, let alone recoup, his investment in that city.

Thats funny. The Sabres seem to be doing all right. And the season tickets for the Sabres are a hell of a lot more expensive than the Bills. I don't but that for a minuet. And if Toronto thinks that Buffalo is going to sit and watch their team get yanked out from underneath them, they got another thing coming. Buffalo is one of 32 cities that has the privaledge of having NFL football, an honor that I don't think is lost on the local business leaders and politicians.

patmoran2006
06-22-2007, 07:33 AM
I agree.

The city isnt just going to sit back and let this team go without a fight. I'd imagine every possible thing would be done to keep them here, and I do like the fact Goodel is a WNY guy.

Hopefully in the end that matters.

SABuffalo786
06-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Stick to the CFL, hosers!

THATHURMANATOR
06-22-2007, 07:39 AM
[/URL]
[URL=http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070621.wsptbrunt21/GSStory/GlobeSports]full story (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070621.wstpbrunt21/GSStory/GlobeSports)
****ing ****S!

THATHURMANATOR
06-22-2007, 07:44 AM
This whole situation is complete bull****. We support this team for years and years even through bad teams and no winning and this **** is constantly thrown in our faces. It pisses me off so ****ing much. It would be a travesty for this team to move especially to Toronto. I would rather have them go to LA then have dick head Canadians rub this **** in our faces for the rest of my life. Of course as this ******* society is set up a lot is never enough. We are all greedy PIGS. No Wilson's C Bag daughters and wife couldn't POSSIBLY survive on a measely 600 million. They better whore out the team and get 1 billion dollars but in the process rip the heart out of an already struggling city. Yep that sounds about right. IT MAKES ME ****ING SICK!

THATHURMANATOR
06-22-2007, 07:45 AM
I do like the fact Goodel is a WNY guy.

Trust me it won't matter.

Night Train
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
It's the equivalent of a drunk in a bar talking trash. Means nothing.

I have a good friend who's been predicting every year since the Erie County lease buyout kicked in that the Bills would be leaving within 2 years. What many fail to realize is that many smaller markets have the same buyout and could move in a moments notice also. Exactly where are they going ? Who has a Billion dollars and a NFL ready stadium ?

We all know the Bills situation with old man Ralph, the local economy.. blah, blah, blah, blah. The Bills may indeed eventually leave but the talk is nothing more than farting into the wind right now.

In the meantime, I still have Club seats and enjoy the Bills games in Orchard Park 10 times a year, plus several visits to Rochacha for camp. Sitting around predicting doom is a proven waste of time.

Go Bills and screw the outsiders.

Mitchy moo
06-22-2007, 07:57 AM
It would be ironic that in the end Willis was right about this.:rage:

Bulldog
06-22-2007, 08:00 AM
It's the equivalent of a drunk in a bar talking trash. Means nothing.

I have a good friend who's been predicting every year since the Erie County lease buyout kicked in that the Bills would be leaving within 2 years. What many fail to realize is that many smaller markets have the same buyout and could move in a moments notice also. Exactly where are they going ? Who has a Billion dollars and a NFL ready stadium ?

We all know the Bills situation with old man Ralph, the local economy.. blah, blah, blah, blah. The Bills may indeed eventually leave but the talk is nothing more than farting into the wind right now.

In the meantime, I still have Club seats and enjoy the Bills games in Orchard Park 10 times a year, plus several visits to Rochacha for camp. Sitting around predicting doom is a proven waste of time.

Go Bills and screw the outsiders.

I agree with some of what you're saying. But now would be the time for Mr. Wilson to sit down and discuss some type of succession plan. If he wants to just put the team on the block after his death with no stipulations that the team remain in Buffalo, he can shove it where the sun don't shine. For all the talk of the loyalty that Wilson has had to Buffalo, I think the fans of Buffalo have been equally loyal to Wilson and the Bills. I just don't understand why Wilson is so opposed to putting a sucession plan in place before he dies. If he lets this team go to the highest bidder, that's the untimate slap in the face to the people of Buffalo and western New York. What a great way to tarnish his legacy that he's devoted his whole life to establishing.

casdhf
06-22-2007, 08:05 AM
The NFL won't go to Canada.

TacklingDummy
06-22-2007, 08:06 AM
I agree with some of what you're saying. But now would be the time for Mr. Wilson to sit down and discuss some type of succession plan.

Im sure Ralph has told his family what he wants done with the Bills when he dies. And most likely it will be, sold to the highest bidder.

TacklingDummy
06-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Ive been hearing this garbage for a decade and it hasnt happened yet, I like those odds.

That's because Ralph is still alive. Odds are he's going to die someday.

HAMMER
06-22-2007, 09:47 AM
This whole situation is complete bull****. We support this team for years and years even through bad teams and no winning and this **** is constantly thrown in our faces. It pisses me off so ****ing much. It would be a travesty for this team to move especially to Toronto. I would rather have them go to LA then have dick head Canadians rub this **** in our faces for the rest of my life. Of course as this ******* society is set up a lot is never enough. We are all greedy PIGS. No Wilson's C Bag daughters and wife couldn't POSSIBLY survive on a measely 600 million. They better whore out the team and get 1 billion dollars but in the process rip the heart out of an already struggling city. Yep that sounds about right. IT MAKES ME ****ING SICK!

I don't understand your thinking here, or maybe you don't understand. If he leaves the team to his wife or daughters, they (or the estate, or trust) have to come up with the inheritance tax on the value of the team when it transfers to them. I highly doubt any of them have about 350 million or so laying aound. So calling them greedy C Bags is way out of line. The only hope that the team stays in Buffalo after Wilson passes is that there is a buyer with both lots of money and a passion (or some compassion) for the Buffalo community.

THATHURMANATOR
06-22-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't understand your thinking here, or maybe you don't understand. If he leaves the team to his wife or daughters, they (or the estate, or trust) have to come up with the inheritance tax on the value of the team when it transfers to them. I highly doubt any of them have about 350 million or so laying aound. So calling them greedy C Bags is way out of line. The only hope that the team stays in Buffalo after Wilson passes is that there is a buyer with both lots of money and a passion (or some compassion) for the Buffalo community.
No I fully understand. They will make at the very least 700 million even if they stayed here. 350 million to split. I don't have problems with them selling the team in the least. I DO have a problem with Wilson not putting plans in place right now to keep the team here. His main reason for this as he has stated was that he wants to maximize the money he leaves to his family(what the 700 mil or so he could make by selling them right now is not enough and they need a cool Billion?). This is where the greed comes in. He could partner up RIGHT NOW with local perspective buyers and sell the team for a reasonable amount and assure the team stays. Instead he refuses, he will die, then the team goes to the highest bidder. Of course this is his team and it is a business blah blah blah but I have just had enough with this crap already. You can defend him all you want but my feelings are if he really wanted to assure the team stayed he could easily do so and still make a gigantic profit.

Bulldog
06-22-2007, 10:39 AM
No I fully understand. They will make at the very least 700 million even if they stayed here. 350 million to split. I don't have problems with them selling the team in the least. I DO have a problem with Wilson not putting plans in place right now to keep the team here. His main reason for this as he has stated was that he wants to maximize the money he leaves to his family(what the 700 mil or so he could make by selling them right now is not enough and they need a cool Billion?). This is where the greed comes in. He could partner up RIGHT NOW with local perspective buyers and sell the team for a reasonable amount and assure the team stays. Instead he refuses, he will die, then the team goes to the highest bidder. Of course this is his team and it is a business blah blah blah but I have just had enough with this crap already. You can defend him all you want but my feelings are if he really wanted to assure the team stayed he could easily do so and still make a gigantic profit.

Couldn't agree more. The fact that Wilson seems to be taking this approach really baffles me. I'm pretty sure that his family will have plenty of money to be "comfortable" for the rest of their lives. Why he feels the need to whore this team out for top dollar is beyond me. I'm not asking him to sell the team for peanuts for the sake of keeping it in Buffalo. But at least be open to a deal with a potential owner with local ties that has a desire to keep the team in Buffalo. The fact that he said this won't happen and the team will be sold after his death makes him a giant dick head in my book. What better way to reward the fans for all their years of loyalty despite putting a crap product on the field for long stretches of time than to make no provisions to help keep the team in Buffalo after his death. Splendid!

Michael82
06-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Ralph Wilson is a greedy piece of **** and is showing that he's no better than Mike Brown, Jerry Jones, Bob Kraft, and hell even Art Modell. :ill:

bflojohn
06-22-2007, 11:37 AM
I've got a sneaky hunch that Ralph Wilson will have a "private" solution that just may please the Bills fandom! He has had opportunity to move the franchise, on several occasions, IMO, but each time the day was saved for the city in regards to keeping the asset there. To me, there is a lot at stake for Buffalo, New York in this scenario, and in the end the team will continue to reside in Ralph Wilson Stadium. Do you really think he wants this team to play ANYWHERE else than RWS? The facility is named after him and by God, this team will "honor" him after he leaves by playing in his playing grounds. Just a hunch, mind you!

carybillsfan
06-22-2007, 12:29 PM
There is no way Buffalo can support, a $1Billion franchise, the economy is just not that good. If Ralph doesn't make plans this team will be sold to the highest bidder (likely over $1Billion) and when the lease is up the team will move. How many years are left on the lease anyways?

THATHURMANATOR
06-22-2007, 01:36 PM
There is no way Buffalo can support, a $1Billion franchise, the economy is just not that good. If Ralph doesn't make plans this team will be sold to the highest bidder (likely over $1Billion) and when the lease is up the team will move. How many years are left on the lease anyways?
What the **** are you talking about.... WE SUPPORT IT JUST FINE RIGHT NOW. They do make a lot of money currently but as we have stated enough is never enough for greedy C bags. Sure they could make more in Toronto or LA but don't give me the we can't support the team Bull ****.

blackonyx89
06-22-2007, 01:39 PM
I've got a sneaky hunch that Ralph Wilson will have a "private" solution that just may please the Bills fandom! He has had opportunity to move the franchise, on several occasions, IMO, but each time the day was saved for the city in regards to keeping the asset there. To me, there is a lot at stake for Buffalo, New York in this scenario, and in the end the team will continue to reside in Ralph Wilson Stadium. Do you really think he wants this team to play ANYWHERE else than RWS? The facility is named after him and by God, this team will "honor" him after he leaves by playing in his playing grounds. Just a hunch, mind you!

I PRAY YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

Nighthawk
06-22-2007, 06:56 PM

Listen, don't talk smack when you're miles away. This city can support it and has...just like it does the Sabres. I'm in the recruiting business and the economy here is not as bad as everybody makes it out to be. I respect people's rights to move out of town to make more money, but please don't come on here talking crap about your old city. I think that is just a joke. This city is not Chicago, or NYC or Miami or LA, but it is not as bad as people make it out to be. I get so tired of the whining from people who leave the area. How about staying and helping out the local economy instead of running away and then complaining?

djjimkelly
06-22-2007, 07:29 PM

U KNOW THURM WATCH WHAT U SAY ID BET 30% roughly on ralph wilson stadium is made up of canadians every week! im canadian and support bills hardcore for last 25 years.

NOW DO I WANT BILLS TO MOVE NO!

BUT IF THEY HAVE TO MOVE WHY NOT KEEP IT LOCAL

and why are we dickhead canadians seriously i dont see anyone cursing about americans lets all HOPE BILLS STAY IN BUFFALO.

BUT I FOR ONE SAY IF THE 100000000000000% are moving let it be toronto instead of L.A

Devin
06-22-2007, 07:36 PM
no what you have been hearing for decades is that ralph himself would move the team. that was complete bs

this isnt

as much as i hate the idea it seems to me that losing the team is inevitable, unfortunately for the exact reasons stated in the article

given that reality moving to toronto wouldnt be too bad. wed still get to treat them as a 'home' team, see all the games, and although it would take a little longer wed still get to drive to games

Nail on the head.

Sticking your head in the sand isnt really an option anymore. The Bills will change ownership, and the odds are better then average they move. Thats not opinion, thats fact.

I hate the idea but in reality would a move to Toronto be that bad? I mean what is that from Buffalo? 20-30 miles?

Not to mention the size of that city and support they would have....doesnt seem to bad. Dont get me wrong my hope is they stay in Buffalo but if they were to move that doesnt seem so bad.

THATHURMANATOR
06-22-2007, 08:18 PM
U KNOW THURM WATCH WHAT U SAY ID BET 30% roughly on ralph wilson stadium is made up of canadians every week! im canadian and support bills hardcore for last 25 years.

NOW DO I WANT BILLS TO MOVE NO!

BUT IF THEY HAVE TO MOVE WHY NOT KEEP IT LOCAL

and why are we dickhead canadians seriously i dont see anyone cursing about americans lets all HOPE BILLS STAY IN BUFFALO.

BUT I FOR ONE SAY IF THE 100000000000000% are moving let it be toronto instead of L.A
**** THAT! Don't tell me would never hear the end of it from the Dickhead Canadians. Never said all Canadians are dickheads. If they move Get them as far away as possible. I don't want them in Toronto. The row in front of us at games are all Canadians and every week they show up to the game wearing jerseys from the team the Bills are playing. That is the dick head **** I am talking about. Don't you think all the campaigning those Toronto Business men are doing to move the team there isnt' a dickhead thing to do. Let me tell you that if they moved to Toronto virtually everyone in Buffalo would hate that team more than anything.

THATHURMANATOR
06-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Nail on the head.

Sticking your head in the sand isnt really an option anymore. The Bills will change ownership, and the odds are better then average they move. Thats not opinion, thats fact.

I hate the idea but in reality would a move to Toronto be that bad? I mean what is that from Buffalo? 20-30 miles?

Not to mention the size of that city and support they would have....doesnt seem to bad. Dont get me wrong my hope is they stay in Buffalo but if they were to move that doesnt seem so bad.
No thank you. You don't live here. You don't get to hear the arrogant attitudes of people in Toronto have towards Buffalo. It would be UNBEARABLE for them to move to Toronto. Virtually no one in Buffalo wouldn't be rooting against the team.

Toronto is 2 hours away also. Not 30 Miles.

hammerbillsfan
06-22-2007, 08:24 PM
The row in front of us at games are all Canadians and every week they show up to the game wearing jerseys from the team the Bills are playing. That is the dick head **** I am talking about.

What about that stupid **** Bernie or whatever his ****ing name is behind you? He is an *******!

THATHURMANATOR
06-22-2007, 08:29 PM
What about it? There are tons of dickhead Americans at the games. That isn't the Point. They are the BUFFALO BILLS. Imagine if Buffalo was the Bigger city and we were trying to steal the Leafs. It is exactly the same thing. Don't think you or any self respecting Canadian wouldn't be very pissed.

hammerbillsfan
06-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Well ****, Ralph better get his ass in gear before he croaks and secure a buyer to keep the team in Buffalo. If not, it's an open market.

Look at what is happening with Balsillie trying to get the Preds and moving them to Hamilton.

A new owner will snatch it up and move it in no time.

Devin
06-22-2007, 08:35 PM
No thank you. You don't live here. You don't get to hear the arrogant attitudes of people in Toronto have towards Buffalo. It would be UNBEARABLE for them to move to Toronto. Virtually no one in Buffalo wouldn't be rooting against the team.

Youre right I dont. But if it comes down to Toronto or my beloved Bills moving to the nfl franchise wrecka Los Angeles.....im gonna vote Toronto a million times.

I dont want them going anywhere, im simply saying if they do end up moving at least Toronto is driveable.

hammerbillsfan
06-22-2007, 08:38 PM

Oh I get the attitude from Toronto, I lived in Hamilton for all my life!
The last thing I want is the team anywhere near here.

carybillsfan
06-22-2007, 09:28 PM
What the **** are you talking about.... WE SUPPORT IT JUST FINE RIGHT NOW. They do make a lot of money currently but as we have stated enough is never enough for greedy C bags. Sure they could make more in Toronto or LA but don't give me the we can't support the team Bull ****.

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT BASHING BUFFALO, I HOPE THE BILLS STAY THERE FOREVER

I'm not saying Buffalo can't support the current team. They can, I don't know what Ralph makes a year but lets say its $20M cash. When he bought the team in 50's he paid like $30K for it, 50 years later he's making $20M/yr...great investment. Now he dies and Billionaire X buys the team for $1B. It would take him 50 years to break even....bad investment. So his choices are to double the price of everything tix, boxes, parking, foam fingers, and of course concessions. Will Buffalonians pony up $90/ticket for nosebleeds like they do in Wash., where by the way tix are sold out every game. Will the city give him a new stadium, like the jets, where Luxury boxes go fo $12M a season, (I thought I heard Ralph say they had a hard time selling the boxes at $2M season.) Its simple economics in order to make a return on an investment, either prices have to go up...way up, or the team has to move.

Don't kill the messenger!

seanbillsfan
06-22-2007, 09:34 PM
I agree.

The city isnt just going to sit back and let this team go without a fight. I'd imagine every possible thing would be done to keep them here, and I do like the fact Goodel is a WNY guy.

he lived in jamestown til he was 5 or something. i dont think he cares that much

carybillsfan
06-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Listen, don't talk smack when you're miles away. This city can support it and has...just like it does the Sabres. I'm in the recruiting business and the economy here is not as bad as everybody makes it out to be. I respect people's rights to move out of town to make more money, but please don't come on here talking crap about your old city. I think that is just a joke. This city is not Chicago, or NYC or Miami or LA, but it is not as bad as people make it out to be. I get so tired of the whining from people who leave the area. How about staying and helping out the local economy instead of running away and then complaining?

Have I ever talked crap about Buffalo? I never said it was bad, I still have family there and visit often. Find me a job for an Organic Chemist doing Drug Discovery work in Oncology for a Pharmaceutical company around there and I'll move back. I didn't move for money, I moved because I've lost relatives to Cancer, I want to make a difference. I worked on Tykerb, and I'm very proud of it. I hope it will change someones life, I hope it helps as many people as possible who have to deal with breast cancer. Don't judge me, you don't know me!

lordofgun
06-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Whoever wrote this is an idiot. If it really mattered that your team was in a big city, there'd be a team in Toronto or LA because some owner would move there in a heartbeat due to all the extra money they could make. Most of the money nowadays comes from the TV deal, which is split evenly among the teams NO MATTER WHAT THE MARKET SIZE!

I'm so sick of seeing sports writers who don't have a clue write drivel without researching the subject thoroughly. ******.

THATHURMANATOR
06-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Youre right I dont. But if it comes down to Toronto or my beloved Bills moving to the nfl franchise wrecka Los Angeles.....im gonna vote Toronto a million times.

I dont want them going anywhere, im simply saying if they do end up moving at least Toronto is driveable.
Thats the thing they CEASE to be your beloved Bills the second they move to another city. At that point they are money grubbing SCUMBAGS.

THATHURMANATOR
06-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Have I ever talked crap about Buffalo? I never said it was bad, I still have family there and visit often. Find me a job for an Organic Chemist doing Drug Discovery work in Oncology for a Pharmaceutical company around there and I'll move back. I didn't move for money, I moved because I've lost relatives to Cancer, I want to make a difference. I worked on Tykerb, and I'm very proud of it. I hope it will change someones life, I hope it helps as many people as possible who have to deal with breast cancer. Don't judge me, you don't know me!
Sorry man but what do you want from us? Moving the team to Toronto is Unacceptable. Sounds like you are doing well for yourself and making a difference. :bf1:

LtBillsFan66
06-22-2007, 11:10 PM
If the Bills move, I'm sticking with them. Except if they move to Canada. I'd rather they move to a more robust country like Guam.

carybillsfan
06-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Sorry man but what do you want from us? Moving the team to Toronto is Unacceptable. Sounds like you are doing well for yourself and making a difference. :bf1:

I just want to talk about the Bills, without the personal attacks.

Dolphanzeke
06-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Any chance Jim Kelly (or some other ex Bill) rounds up some business types to buy the team ?? I really dont want buffalo going anywhere.

kgun12
06-23-2007, 12:51 AM

That seems to be a very hard thing to do here lately! I hope you find the cure!

THATHURMANATOR
06-23-2007, 01:58 AM
I was being serious actually.

Historian
06-23-2007, 06:18 AM
It would be ironic that in the end Willis was right about this.:rage:

It would be even more ironic if Willis ended up in the CFL...

Nighthawk
06-23-2007, 07:45 AM

I commend you on your reasons for your career and it wasn't a personal attack against you, but against the majority of people I talk to or read about who have moved away. Your situation is a little different and I believe with the development of the Health industry in this area in the last few years, their might be a possibility of you moving back here very soon.

X-Era
06-23-2007, 06:13 PM
That's because Ralph is still alive. Odds are he's going to die someday.

And he could die tomorrow or another decade or more from now. I dont think I will be holding my breath.

Dec 21st, 2012.....thats more likely to happen and sooner.

mikemac2001
06-23-2007, 08:13 PM
It would be even more ironic if Willis ended up in the CFL...

Your wrong it would be more ironic if willis came down with the CLAP!

Earthquake Enyart
06-24-2007, 12:14 PM
How can Ralph be greedy when he won't see any of the money?

Poor guy is just trying to set up his family upon his death.

RedEyE
06-24-2007, 01:21 PM
:beer: Here's hoping Ralph lives to be 120!

THATHURMANATOR
06-24-2007, 05:22 PM
How can Ralph be greedy when he won't see any of the money?

Poor guy is just trying to set up his family upon his death.
His wife are c bag daughters are the greedy ones. Stay with us man.

don137
06-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Now don't get me wrong I am very upset about the Bills leaving Buffalo and it breaks my heart to know that is very realistic however if you look at it from Ralph's standpoint a minute you need to look at taxes. If he sells the team now he has to pay huge taxes on the sale of his team. I am no accountant so I am not sure if the taxes are considered capital gains at 15% or if he would be taxed as income which would be about 30%. Either way you are talikng many millions of dollars. Then when Ralphy meets his maker his family is taxed again on the inheritance taxes which unless he dies in 2010 when there is no inheritance tax as it stands now will be 45% or there abouts. As a result he may be thinking why should my family lose those many millions to taxes. Now I am not saying it is right or wrong but that may influence his decision. I personally wish he would show some loyalty to the city of Buffalo but he is thinking why should he sell now and have his family lose 50-200+ million in taxes on the sale and then lose more due to inheritance taxes when he dies.

THATHURMANATOR
06-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Now don't get me wrong I am very upset about the Bills leaving Buffalo and it breaks my heart to know that is very realistic however if you look at it from Ralph's standpoint a minute you need to look at taxes. If he sells the team now he has to pay huge taxes on the sale of his team. I am no accountant so I am not sure if the taxes are considered capital gains at 15% or if he would be taxed as income which would be about 30%. Either way you are talikng many millions of dollars. Then when Ralphy meets his maker his family is taxed again on the inheritance taxes which unless he dies in 2010 when there is no inheritance tax as it stands now will be 45% or there abouts. As a result he may be thinking why should my family lose those many millions to taxes. Now I am not saying it is right or wrong but that may influence his decision. I personally wish he would show some loyalty to the city of Buffalo but he is thinking why should he sell now and have his family lose 50-200+ million in taxes on the sale and then lose more due to inheritance taxes when he dies.
Again I understand this is a business but forgive me if I can't feel bad for people lose 200 million but still have 500 million. **** THEM

Michael82
06-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Lamar Hunt proved that their are ways to get around the major taxes and all that. Set up a trust fund or something, and give a part of the team up before you die. He even talked about it to the other owners as a way to pass the team on.

shelby
06-25-2007, 09:01 AM

i understand what you're saying, but i still think it's :bs:. He's basically stated that he's hanging the team, and WNY as a whole, out to dry because he doesn't want to be responsible enough to find a way to keep them in Buffalo once he's gone. i guess it really is all about the Benjamins.
i understand the tax ramifications are a concern, but his family wouldn't be reduced to living on Ramen noodles by any stretch of the imagination.

The fact that Wilson announced that the team would be up for grabs once he dies leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Michael82
06-25-2007, 09:15 AM
i understand what you're saying, but i still think it's :bs:. He's basically stated that he's hanging the team, and WNY as a whole, out to dry because he doesn't want to be responsible enough to find a way to keep them in Buffalo once he's gone. i guess it really is all about the Benjamins.
i understand the tax ramifications are a concern, but his family wouldn't be reduced to living on Ramen noodles by any stretch of the imagination.

The fact that Wilson announced that the team would be up for grabs once he dies leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.
Great post, shelby! My feelings exactly. :bf1:

shelby
06-25-2007, 09:20 AM
i'm wondering why Ralph felt the need to make a public announcement like this. What does he gain from it? Is he trying to stir up interest for potential buyers?
It just doesn't make sense to me. i'm sure there's an ulterior motive but i don't know what it is.

don137
06-25-2007, 10:36 AM
I agree I am not sure his rationale was behind making those comments. I also am not saying I agree with decision because while I think the vast majority of folks, myself included, appreciate Ralph's loyalty to Buffalo over the years but all that would be lost if the team left Buffalo as a result. I am not sure why he couldn't sell part and maintain 50.1% ownership.
I also agree Mikey that he could do things now like trust funds but he may just look at the big picture and not want to do all the leg work.