PDA

View Full Version : Bills will look bad if Spikes succeeds in new setting

Carlton Bailey
06-22-2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/bills_will_look_bad_if_spikes.html

As each day passes, it appears more and more likely that the <a class="articlelinks" href="http://bills.realfootball365.com/"><acronym title="Buffalo Bills News">Buffalo Bills</acronym> will not come to an agreement with defensive tackle Darwin Walker (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/bills_will_look_bad_if_spikes.html#), whose holdout has become a national story. The Bills acquired Walker and a late-round draft pick from the <a class="articlelinks" href="http://eagles.realfootball365.com/"><acronym title="Philadelphia Eagles News">Philadelphia Eagles</acronym> in March for linebacker Takeo Spikes (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/bills_will_look_bad_if_spikes.html#) and Kelly Holcomb. Buffalo had full knowledge upon acquiring Walker that the 29-year-old wanted a new deal, yet the team is still refusing to give him one.

Assuming Walker never plays a down for the Bills (he could be released or sent back to Philadelphia for another low-round choice), it could go down as one of the worst NFL trades in recent memory. Walker, an eighth-year man, isn't going to enter Buffalo on a proverbial white horse and save the team's seemingly terrible run defense, but he would provide a veteran up the middle who can rush the opposing quarterback (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/bills_will_look_bad_if_spikes.html#) (the ex-Tennessee Volunteer has 27½ career sacks).

Getting Holcomb's somewhat large contract off the books wasn't a bad thing for the Bills, who have three serviceable QBs as it is, but simply giving away Spikes is looking like a terrible decision. The two-time Pro Bowler missed most of 2005 with a torn Achilles, rehabbed for almost a full year after, then returned in time for the Bills' 2006 opener. Spikes was mostly a non-factor for Buffalo in 11 regular-season games, but he came on toward the end of the campaign. In total, the 6-foot-2, 242-pounder made 70 tackles. His best game was the Bills' season-ender, when he tallied a year-best 11 takedowns in a 19-7 loss to Baltimore.

With Spikes gone, the Bills' linebacking corps is expected to consist of rookie Paul Posluszny (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/bills_will_look_bad_if_spikes.html#) in the middle (though he's behind the little-known John DiGiorgio on the current depth chart) and Angelo Crowell and Keith Ellison on the outside. Assuming Posluszny, a much-hyped second-round pick from Penn State, pans out, he'll be deserving of a starting spot. Crowell, meanwhile, in four pro seasons, has been very good when healthy. The big question mark is Ellison, a second-year man whom Buffalo used a sixth-rounder on in the 2006 draft.

Ellison, 23, was a pleasant surprise as a rookie, making 65 tackles in 14 games, but is he really full-time starting material at this stage in his career? The 6-0, 228-pounder (much smaller than Spikes) is currently penciled in as the Bills' weakside starting LB, where Spikes played for most of his four-year tenure with the team. If he wins the No. 1 job on the right side over main combatant Coy Wire this summer, Ellison will likely be at least slightly better than he was last year. After all, the ex-Oregon State standout now has a better understanding of the Tampa 2 defensive scheme Buffalo runs. However, the odds of him reaching Spikes-like heights this early (or ever, perhaps) seem slim and nil.

It's true Spikes asked the Bills for a trade when the offseason began, but he certainly wouldn't have given less than maximum effort in 2007 if he remained on the roster. And if he's a respectable part of Philadelphia's defense this season, Buffalo will be kicking itself for letting the nine-year veteran go for late-round picks, extra salary-cap room (as if the frugal Bills don't already have enough) and a D-tackle who will probably never see the home locker room at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

There are two ways the 30-year-old Spikes can go at this juncture of his career: He can either follow the path of Seattle's Julian Peterson (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/bills_will_look_bad_if_spikes.html#), a former Pro Bowl LB who has recovered very well from a past Achilles injury, or free agent LaVar Arrington, a once-fierce 'backer whose '06 Achilles tear and recent motorcycle crash point to early retirement.

If Spikes mimics Peterson, Bills General Manager Marv Levy better prepare himself for even further second-guessing from both media and fans. Put simply, the March trade he orchestrated will go down as an embarrassment.

OpIv37
06-22-2007, 12:33 PM
even if it works out and Darwin takes the field for us, it was still an awful trade because the Bills imposed a deadline on THEMSELVES to get a contract done with an admittedly disgruntled player.

User Manuel
06-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I think Spikes performace is irrelevant because our other option in the Bills plans was to release him outright.

I hope he is great and makes the playoff sfor the first time. Chances are he wont be great and Philly might not make the playoffs.

justasportsfan
06-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I hope he is great and makes the playoff sfor the first time. Chances are he wont be great and Philly might not make the playoffs.

I hope WE end up making playoffs and eagles don't so we can :lolpoint: Spikes

OpIv37
06-22-2007, 12:43 PM
I think Spikes performace is irrelevant because our other option in the Bills plans was to release him outright.

really? Keeping him so we had some experience at LB wasn't an option?

It's ok though, we have Jon DiGiorgio and Keith Ellison!

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-22-2007, 12:59 PM
That was one dumb article.

Carlton Bailey
06-22-2007, 01:07 PM

Because it told the truth? The Bills really have made a mess of this entire thing.

The King
06-22-2007, 01:11 PM
I hope WE end up making playoffs and eagles don't so we can :lolpoint: Spikes

Thats what happened to him in Cincy too,.

justasportsfan
06-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Thats what happened to him in Cincy too,.:up:

It's gonna happen again this year and Ellison will go to the probowl while SPikes won't :D

patmoran2006
06-22-2007, 01:20 PM
What about it was dumb?

Saratoga Slim
06-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I hope he succeeds cause I like him, but if he does there's no way that the Bills' FO doesn't look like they came out on the losing end of the is-he-or-isnt-he-healthy gamble. If he's close to his old form, he's worth every penny of the 5M he would have made here.

User Manuel
06-22-2007, 01:33 PM
really? Keeping him so we had some experience at LB wasn't an option?

It's ok though, we have Jon DiGiorgio and Keith Ellison!

So, by your thinking, if the Bills think he can't play at the level he's being compensated for then they are stupid for releasing him?

Experience is fine, if he can perform. An experienced player who can't perform is a luxury the Bills cant afford.

Bottom line is this. Ellison was BETTER than Spikes last year. And if you say "Spikes was injured" that only solidifies my point. SPikes has been injured alot.

OpIv37
06-22-2007, 01:38 PM
So, by your thinking, if the Bills think he can't play at the level he's being compensated for then they are stupid for releasing him?

Experience is fine, if he can perform. An experienced player who can't perform is a luxury the Bills cant afford.

Bottom line is this. Ellison was BETTER than Spikes last year. And if you say "Spikes was injured" that only solidifies my point. SPikes has been injured alot.

um, before the achilles injury Spikes missed ONE game in 6 or 7 years, and it was to attend his father's funeral or something like that.

If you think Ellison was better than Spikes last year, you're on crack. Not that Spikes was anything great, but Ellison wasn't either. I just don't understand why so many people are so willing to gamble on unproven guys like Ellison and DiGiorgio but NOT willing to gamble on a proven pro bowler like Spikes who has played well for the majority of his time this year.

And what do you mean we can't afford it? What have we done with Spikes' cap space since he was traded? Oh right, NOTHING.

THATHURMANATOR
06-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Who gives a **** about Spikes he is gone and forgotten in my book **** HIM.

User Manuel
06-22-2007, 01:41 PM
It is irrelevant what Spikes did his first 6-7 years. For the past two seasons he has been a bust. Ellison was pretty good all things considered. Sometimes you have to cut your losses

As for Digorgio, heck, maybe he is the next Ray Bentley for the Bills. I just want a productive set of linebackers. I dont care what their names are.

justasportsfan
06-22-2007, 01:45 PM
It is irrelevant what Spikes did his first 6-7 years. For the past two seasons he has been a bust. Ellison was pretty good all things considered. Sometimes you have to cut your losses

As for Digorgio, heck, maybe he is the next Ray Bentley for the Bills. I just want a productive set of linebackers. I dont care what their names are.You're forgetting something. OP thinks he knows the extent of Spikes injury better than our doctors.

Even if we FORCED Spikes to stay against his wishes, OP would ***** about how we treat our players badly. If Spikes doesn't get back to form, he'll ***** about our doctors.

JUst like POsey,OP is just *****ing to *****.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Because it told the truth? The Bills really have made a mess of this entire thing.

How about, duh or no S? That article didn't tell us anything that we already don't know or have been discussing for the past month.

patmoran2006
06-22-2007, 01:52 PM
IN all fairness, articles arent written to suit the couple dozen of people who discuss everything on a daily basis on a message board.

Many more people simply have a website or two they get their news and opinions from and don't spend hours per week debating them on the message boards.

Ickybaluky
06-22-2007, 01:59 PM
You're forgetting something. OP thinks he knows the extent of Spikes injury better than our doctors.

The flip side to that argument is that you seem to know more than the Eagles doctors, who had no problem giving him a clean bill of health when he was traded. He had to pass a physical, you know.

Not only that, you seem to know whether Spikes will regain his old form better than Jim Johnson, one of the most respected DC in the NFL. Johnson has Spikes running 1st team. He also was comfortable enough with Spikes to release last years starting WSLB, Dhani Jones.

But, hey, it isn't like Jim Johnson and Andy Reid have a history of success or anything.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-22-2007, 02:07 PM
IN all fairness, articles arent written to suit the couple dozen of people who discuss everything on a daily basis on a message board.

Many more people simply have a website or two they get their news and opinions from and don't spend hours per week debating them on the message boards.

I understand, I still think it is a dumb article. If Spikes looks like he did last year does that make the Bills look good? Does that article come out next week?

mayotm
06-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Obviously, if Spikes is anything close to what he was before the injuries, the trade was terrible. However, it's done. Why continue worrying about it? Will *****ing about it bring him back?

patmoran2006
06-22-2007, 03:06 PM
I understand, I still think it is a dumb article. If Spikes looks like he did last year does that make the Bills look good? Does that article come out next week?
Point taken.

If he reinjures himself the Bills look good.

Saratoga Slim
06-22-2007, 03:07 PM
I just heard on Sirius that new details of the Spikes/Walker trade have been revealed by the Eagles front office, and apparently if Spikes plays well enough to earn a starting spot for the Eagles, he automatically reverts back to the Bills in exchange for Tim Anderson.

OK, I didn't really, but it'd be awesome if I did.

!Papacrunk!
06-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Man what happened other than the trade? At one point on this board it seemed like Spikes was a HUUUUGGGEEEE defensive fan favorite, a guy that could never do wrong, but now that he's on another team, he's just another scrub. Maybe not last year, but previous years Spikes was a guy that offenses always had to know where he was. I know McGahee was seen in the same light on offense, there were A LOT of McGahee avatars and signature, but that guy burned all of his bridges on his way oout of Buffalo. Unless I'm wrong it didn't seem like Spikes really did that.

Goobylal
06-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Man what happened other than the trade? At one point on this board it seemed like Spikes was a HUUUUGGGEEEE defensive fan favorite, a guy that could never do wrong, but now that he's on another team, he's just another scrub. Maybe not last year, but previous years Spikes was a guy that offenses always had to know where he was. I know McGahee was seen in the same light on offense, there were A LOT of McGahee avatars and signature, but that guy burned all of his bridges on his way oout of Buffalo. Unless I'm wrong it didn't seem like Spikes really did that.
What happened was that Spikes blew out his Achilles, is on the wrong side of 30, and asked to be traded/released. He is also rumored to be among the veterans who lobbied against Losman starting, but who was kept because he was injured. The combination made him persona non-grata. Frankly with the new coaching staff, it was time to cut ties with the old guard.

!Papacrunk!
06-23-2007, 12:43 PM
What happened was that Spikes blew out his Achilles, is on the wrong side of 30, and asked to be traded/released. He is also rumored to be among the veterans who lobbied against Losman starting, but who was kept because he was injured. The combination made him persona non-grata. Frankly with the new coaching staff, it was time to cut ties with the old guard.so what's the right side of 30? 31, 32?

PromoTheRobot
06-23-2007, 01:28 PM
How will the Bills look if Spikes plays bad and reinjures his achilles in week 10?

PTR

Goobylal
06-23-2007, 03:05 PM
so what's the right side of 30? 31, 32?
Um, 29 and younger.