PDA

View Full Version : As of midday Saturday, Sabres haven't made offer to Briere

Philagape
06-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Briere inching closer to free agency; Sabres yet to make an offer
By JOHN WAWROW
AP Sports Writer
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - The longer it takes the Buffalo Sabres to make Daniel Briere an offer, the more tempting it becomes for the co-captain to test free agency.
Without ruling out the possibility of re-signing with Buffalo, Briere's agent, Pat Brisson, said Saturday the chances are increasing that his client will test the market once NHL free agency opens July 1.
"It's different now," Brisson said, noting this is Briere's first opportunity to become an unrestricted free agent. "We'll see. It's getting closer and closer."
Brisson, however, noted he's still open to getting a deal done with Buffalo.
"We haven't ruled out anything," he said. "We're continuing to talk. We're very open-minded."
Brisson spoke by phone from the NHL draft in Columbus, Ohio, where he had discussions with - but has yet to receive an offer from - Sabres general manager Darcy Regier.
(Chris) Drury's agent, Mark Witkin, declined to comment on the status of negotiations Saturday.

Michael82
06-23-2007, 04:33 PM
To not even send him an offer is assinine! Especially if they end up losing Drury. You should have both guys on the line just in case. :cynic:

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-23-2007, 04:53 PM
I am starting thinking that Briere and Drury are gone.

Ebenezer
06-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I am starting thinking that Briere and Drury are gone.
starting? I'm not going to find the post but when they resigned everybody last year I said they were making one final run...I want Drury but will be surprised if he is here.

ct bills fan
06-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Let's hope Regier was concentrating on the draft and now can concentrate on Drury/Briere. If he's playing games with Briere/Drury, it doesn't make sense and we will lose them both. How hard is it to say, are you willing to sign for $30m over 5 years? Briere would say yes, Drury, I'm not sure. This isn't rocket science. GET IT DONE!

ct bills fan
06-23-2007, 07:21 PM
By the way, the Bills played this stupid game with Pat Williams. Williams wanted to stay (he has a business in the area) even for a hometown discount. Donohoe got cute, Williams left, and the Bills defense (especially the run defense) has sucked since. Losing Dumont, McKee and Griere is one thing, losing Drury and Briere is another. Don't be cute Regier - get it done - at least with one of them. Drury may have his heart set on SJ, but, Briere wants to stay. Stop being so friggin stupidly stubborn. Make an offer.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-23-2007, 08:42 PM
starting? I'm not going to find the post but when they resigned everybody last year I said they were making one final run...I want Drury but will be surprised if he is here.

I was thinking before that they would sign one of them, most likely Drury, but now my optimism of that is fading quickly.

Michael82
06-24-2007, 12:25 AM
I was thinking before that they would sign one of them, most likely Drury, but now my optimism of that is fading quickly.
And Regier is a ****ing moron if he thinks that this won't upset the fans that finally came back to Buffalo hockey and helped line Golisano's pocket. :ill:

Michael82
06-24-2007, 12:28 AM
By the way, the Bills played this stupid game with Pat Williams. Williams wanted to stay (he has a business in the area) even for a hometown discount. Donohoe got cute, Williams left, and the Bills defense (especially the run defense) has sucked since. Losing Dumont, McKee and Griere is one thing, losing Drury and Briere is another. Don't be cute Regier - get it done - at least with one of them. Drury may have his heart set on SJ, but, Briere wants to stay. Stop being so friggin stupidly stubborn. Make an offer.
Excellent post and good comparison. It reminds me of the Pat Williams situation big time. Especially because Regier could have signed one of these guys long term last year for a lot cheaper. :sigh:

And I wouldn't be surprised if he loses Vanek too, because a lot of teams are going to be interested in him.

shelby
06-24-2007, 06:27 AM
i will be super pissed if we lose Drury.:mad:

We made Vanek an offer.

Nighthawk
06-24-2007, 07:33 AM
And Regier is a ****ing moron if he thinks that this won't upset the fans that finally came back to Buffalo hockey and helped line Golisano's pocket. :ill:

I totally agree. If they don't sign these guys then they have played the entire fan base and especially those who have season tickets. People support this team, so why would they not give back to the fans?

Michael82
06-24-2007, 09:20 AM
i will be super pissed if we lose Drury.:mad:

We made Vanek an offer.
:rofl: No we didn't. All the Sabres did with Vanek was slap the tender on him so they can get something for him once they lose him.... :ill:

Michael82
06-24-2007, 09:27 AM
I totally agree. If they don't sign these guys then they have played the entire fan base and especially those who have season tickets. People support this team, so why would they not give back to the fans?
it really surprises me. The team was 3 games away from the Stanley Cup this time and was 1 period away from the Stanley Cup last year. I understand that Buffalo is a small market, but you had the fans eating out of your hands. You had the bandwagon jampacked and a lot of fans spending money on Sabres tickets and Sabres merchandise. Yet, you might end up losing BOTH of the fan favorites in the same year. That's just pathetic!

Earthquake Enyart
06-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Mike relax.

Darcy knows what he is doing.

Dr. Lecter
06-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Excellent post and good comparison. It reminds me of the Pat Williams situation big time. Especially because Regier could have signed one of these guys long term last year for a lot cheaper. :sigh:

And I wouldn't be surprised if he loses Vanek too, because a lot of teams are going to be interested in him.

No he could not have because the team was already against the cap.

Michael82
06-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Mike relax.

Darcy knows what he is doing.
if we lose all three of the major free agents.....would you still say that? :scratch:

Earthquake Enyart
06-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Given the track record over the last few years, yes.

Michael82
06-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Given the track record over the last few years, yes.
interesting. I don't think many would agree with you. Especially a bunch of the Sabres fans that were filling the arena every single game, and buying tons of Sabres merchandise.

Earthquake Enyart
06-24-2007, 11:15 AM
People cried when Stu Barnes left, when Dom left, when Barnaby left, Peca, McKee.... on and on.

We'll be ok.

SabreEleven
06-24-2007, 11:32 AM
EE is the voice of reason? People in hell are sporting parkas these days.

Dr. Lecter
06-24-2007, 12:43 PM
if we lose all three of the major free agents.....would you still say that? :scratch:

Mikey, you are over-reacting.

JD
06-24-2007, 01:12 PM
dRURY WANTS TO GOTO SJ?

Earthquake Enyart
06-24-2007, 01:14 PM
He has a house in SoCal now.

Michael82
06-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Mikey, you are over-reacting.
if we lose all 3, I don't consider it overreacting. And I know a lot of other people that feel the same way. :::

Earthquake Enyart
06-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Mike, go lay down.

Typ0
06-24-2007, 02:27 PM
if we lose all 3, I don't consider it overreacting. And I know a lot of other people that feel the same way. :::

what are they supposed to do though Mikey? These guys want to test the market and you can't really blame them for that. Because of the past two seasons success here they are likely priced above what they are truly worth...and if you start throwing goodwill money at players you are going to deplete the overall talent accross the board on the roster. So what do you suggest they do?

Dr. Lecter
06-24-2007, 02:48 PM

And none of them have been lost.

Remember last year whane panickers knew they would not accept the Briere ruling?

But lets spend all of the cap money on 3 guys, so we can Kaleta, Mancari and Peters as our 3rd line.

Michael82
06-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Mike, go lay down.
okay, thanks for the great idea! :snooze:

ct bills fan
06-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Losing Drury AND Briere would be very difficult to overcome. It would be a serious step back. Losing McKee and Griere is one thing, Drury and Briere is definitely another.

RockStar36
06-24-2007, 06:13 PM
You people all need to take chill pills and take a deep breath.

You can't control the situation and getting all emotional about it isn't the smartest thing. Either is ripping on Darcy considering how he has built this franchise. He has a lot to get done every single day but nobody seems to understand that. Unless he's sigining every big FA the Sabres have he isn't doing his job and should be run out of town. :rolleyes: Give me a break people. He didn't make an offer at the draft? Ok. I'm assuming he was working on...THE DRAFT.

don137
06-24-2007, 07:02 PM
I think losing Vanek would upset me more. Just to tender him and open him up to matching a rediculous high offer for a 23 old 40+ goal scorer is crazy. Darcy needs to sign him before he able to sign a tender offer elsewhere.

Ebenezer
06-24-2007, 08:09 PM

First off Darcy was just given a brand new contract...TG is a pretty astute business man. I'm sure he asked DR EXACTLY what the plans were for the team. If TG found a problem with those plans then do you think he would have gotten a new contract? Anything that happens, imo, has been sanctioned, blessed and in essence authorized by TG.