Which veteran do you expect to exceed expectations this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaBillzAhDaShiznit
    • May 2004

Which veteran do you expect to exceed expectations this year?

We have prognosticated at length about the lack of talent on our defensive line. This is one area that I think will show marked improvement from within this year.

Ryan Denney, I believe is on the cusp of becoming a force. He's getting stronger,
    and he has shown the ability to own some quality right tackles. I really felt that the light started to come on for him last year, and I am hoping he continues to progress. If he does, there won't be many people in the media who saw it coming.

Kyle Williams also strikes me as the kind of guy who is making strides, however most folks expect both him and John McCargo to improve, so that won't be a shock.

The other guy I am looking for big things from this year is Peerless Price.
    Now that he is comfortable within the system, and his head on straight, I think he is going to be an "X" factor. We have enough other receiving threats that Price might occasionally get lost in the shuffle for opposing defenses, and he'll be ready.

Lastly, I still think Duke Preston will become a solid guard for us; and this is going to have to be the year. The guy has talent, he just needs to get his head in the game. I think the infusion of new talent along the O-Line will be just the motivation he needs to perform.

Now, I know I am being optimistic, but I really have a good feeling about these guys. And given our current financial situation, I think we will have to get lucky on a few of theses guys to make a run towards a winning season.
    "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
    --Leo Durocher
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Which veteran do you expect to exceed expectations this year?

I don't know if Ryan Denney will "exceed expectations" but I wouldn't be surprised if he outplays Chris Kelsay.

Peerless' contract is heavily backloaded so it's do or die for him this year. If he's worth anything, now is the time to show it. But he's been at best mediocre for 4 years now, so I don't have a lot of hope for him.

I really think Webster is going to be a pleasant surprise for us.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Oaf
      Do you read what you write?
      • Jun 2007

If Duke Preston just somehow solidified that RG position next year, I'd be happy, even if the rest didn't come though.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Reed/Parrish and Royals/TE's.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
          • May 2004

Hey Justa,

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think Reed will exceed expectations this year?

I was thinking Royals too, good call.
          "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
          --Leo Durocher

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DaBillzAhDaShiznit
            Hey Justa,

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think Reed will exceed expectations this year?

I was thinking Royals too, good call.
            JP will have more time to dish out passes. 4 wr set will open things up for the passing game including the TE's if the OL holds and they (TE) don't have to help block. Reed has been JP's favorite target in the short pasing game when Reed doesn't have to block just like at camp. Problem is, he's asked to block during games when our OL struggled which took him out of the passing game every now and then.
            sacrifice1

Comment

• cocamide
              • Oct 2006

I'm guessing Royal also.

Comment

• shelby
                The Vanilla admin
                • Jul 2002

Coy Wire!

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                  • Jul 2005

I was going to say Royal (better OL allows him to get worked more into the passing game, JP needs outlet to compensate for questionable #2 receiving candidates etc), but he's already getting some love.

Put me down for Terrence McGee. I think he was starting to understand the cover-2 towards the end of last season, and I'll blame his early season woes on the new defense. Granted, he's going to have his hands full with the receivers he's up against as our #1 corner, and some of those guys are going to catch passes. But I think he's going to give us a solid year.
                  Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

McGee and Webster.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

On D, Kelsay. Easy pick since everyone expects him to blow. He'll outdo last years performance.

ST, Parrish. Moving down to no.3 has gotta piss of April. There will be more emphasis on getting back to no. 1
                      sacrifice1

Comment

• Meathead
                        Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                        • Jul 2002

this is actually easy

wire and reed, mainly due to low expectations

most people here have old images stuck in their heads so they think those guys suck

fact is they are very althletic guys with tons of experience. both will play significant roles and make important noticeable contributions with few mistakes

they wont be stars but they will be more productive than most here currently envision
                        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Meathead
                          Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                          • Jul 2002

kelsay will be tough with the big contract cuz that factors into expectations
                          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

To say I have a specific veteran in mind that will EXCEED expectations to me is at least semi-unrealistic, because truthfully speaking I don't expect much from most of the veterans on the team who aren't already established as very good players (Evans, Peters, Schobel and Dockery)

There are more than a few vets whom I HOPE exceed expectations, and none are bigger than Duke Preston and Langston Walker. It's a very simple formula; if they play well then the OL as a whole is better, it makes the entire offense better and puts far less pressure as well as time on the field against the defense.

I cant include Josh Reed, Price or Royal on my expectations list because I think they all are terrible NFL players and I expect nothing but inconsistency and mediocrity from them.

Defensively, I have two guys in mind that I HOPE exceed expectations and that's John McCargo and Kyle Williams. I don't expect them to be, but IF they are both greatly improved skill and mindset wise from last year, then that will make the front four much more formidable, which of course trickles down the entire defense behind them.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Josh Reed and I will say it until I am blue in the face.

Comment

Working...
                              X