PDA

View Full Version : Moorman's Deal Outdated

patmoran2006
06-25-2007, 02:01 PM
From Chris Browns Blog
"
AFTER FURTHER REVIEW: Last week I examined the new deals this offseason handed to Dallas punter Mat McBriar and most recently Carolina punter Jason Baker. Both received 5-year $8.5M deals with McBriar getting $2.5M up front and Baker getting $2.2M guaranteed. I speculated on how that might make Bills two-time Pro Bowl punter Brian Moorman feel. Looking at Moorman's seven-year deal that he signed back in 2003 it didn't look far off on the surface. In fact I thought his deal was "in the ballpark."
However after doing a little more digging to see where punter salaries stand league-wide I came to find that Moorman's deal is not as close to those of McBriar and Baker as I thought. In fact looking at salary average per year both McBriar and Baker are tied for second at $1.7M per year with only San Diego's Mike Scifres ahead of them in the top spot at $1.78M and change. Moorman is 20th on that list.
=======================================================
Hardly of great importance.. I'm just desperate to discuss ANYTHING other than Ralph Wilson right now.

cocamide
06-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Has there ever been a time when a punter held out?

El Guapo
06-25-2007, 02:15 PM
But, Moorman inked a 7 year deal. There's security in that deal that has an intangible value.

OpIv37
06-25-2007, 02:20 PM
But, Moorman inked a 7 year deal. There's security in that deal that has an intangible value.

how do you figure?

Player contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL- he can still get cut at a moment's notice and the team doesn't owe him a thing.

Now I highly doubt that will happen, but the only security in an NFL contract is the signing bonus because that's guaranteed money.

Carlton Bailey
06-25-2007, 03:00 PM
The powers-that-be at OBD actually gave Chris Brown permission to write this? Amazing.

patmoran2006
06-25-2007, 03:24 PM
The powers-that-be at OBD actually gave Chris Brown permission to write this? Amazing.
Ya.. Its about as big a controversy as you'll get from bills.com

OpIv37
06-25-2007, 03:28 PM

good point- maybe they already have a restructured deal worked up and they're going to announce it later this week.

Earthquake Enyart
06-25-2007, 03:28 PM
So now let's worry about a freaking punter. Great.

OpIv37
06-25-2007, 03:32 PM
So now let's worry about a freaking punter. Great.

the sad thing is that over the last 3 years or so he's been our best and most consistent player.

Yasgur's Farm
06-25-2007, 06:20 PM
When you buy a new car, it basically loses value the second you sign the contract. That's the way life is and I'm sure Moorman knew this when he inked the bottom line.

feldspar
06-25-2007, 06:43 PM
How much is he making? That's one tidbit of information that is left out. Punters can last a real long time in this league. I'm not really worried about Moorman's pocketbook. That said, he does deserve more.

People tend to forget that Moorman was signed as an undrafted free agent...not only did we find a diamond in the rough, but also a financial steal. He'll eventually get his money. 2007 is the last year on his contract, so he'll get his money next year.

Jason Peters was an undrafted free agent, too.

Tatonka
06-25-2007, 09:30 PM
if chris brown was such a company man, as many have accused him of being, why would he point this out? just to start some ****?

B-DON
06-25-2007, 09:31 PM
since when does a seven year deal signed in 2003 end after 4 seasons

feldspar
06-25-2007, 10:43 PM
since when does a seven year deal signed in 2003 end after 4 seasons

You're right. I wasn't paying attention on that one. I was thinking in terms of the length of time he's been a Bill, which will equal 7 years after 2007. HMMM. I believe Moorman is arguably the best punter in the league, and it's not right that he should be paid as the 20th. Oh well; that's not my problem. My guess is that his contract will be restuctured, or should be...especially when he makes the Pro Bowl again.

alohabillsfan
06-26-2007, 06:45 AM
my guess is when he signed that contract in 2003 he was one of the top 5 in pay. If you want protection of being under paid don't sign 7 year contracts!

Saratoga Slim
06-26-2007, 08:25 AM

seriously...that was my first thought. Maybe in tomorrow's blog Brown will remind Schobel that Kelsay makes more than he does.

clumping platelets
06-26-2007, 09:18 AM
If a player signs a long term contract, he must understand that it will one day be eclipsed by natural inflation of future contracts. At the time he signed it, he was one of the top paid punters in the league. No way he or his agent can claim the Bills are not treating him fairly. This being said, nothing wrong with getting him a modest increase