PDA

View Full Version : Vanek Courting can begin Tomorrow

carybillsfan
06-25-2007, 07:07 PM
I gues I didn't realize this, but tomorrow teams can begin to talk to RFA's. Offer sheets cannot be signed until sunday however. Darcy better get on the ball.

http://tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=211867

Michael82
06-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Oh God.....get ready to lose another one.... :sigh:

Get er done, Darcy! :pray:

Ebenezer
06-26-2007, 01:39 AM
Get er done,

stop using that overused phrase...I was watching one of Larry the Cable Guy's special....his fingers are very well manicured - he is a phoney.

Dr. Lecter
06-26-2007, 07:40 AM
Oh God.....get ready to lose another one.... :sigh:

Huh??
Another one??

Who have they lost already?

You are way over-reacting and panicking Mikey. You sound like the tools on WGR.

Michael82
06-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Huh??
Another one??

Who have they lost already?

You are way over-reacting and panicking Mikey. You sound like the tools on WGR.
Fine, but don't forget I told ya so when we lose both Chris Drury and Danny Briere....along with Zubrus and have to overpay big time just to hold onto Vanek....

BlackMetalNinja
06-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Fine, but don't forget I told ya so when we lose both Chris Drury and Danny Briere....along with Zubrus and have to overpay big time just to hold onto Vanek....

Hey Mr. Doom and Gloom, you've been in the Bills Forum too much lately taking notes it seems... Could we maybe see what happens before we judge on this one?

Michael82
06-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Hey Mr. Doom and Gloom, you've been in the Bills Forum too much lately taking notes it seems... Could we maybe see what happens before we judge on this one?
okay fine. But aren't you a little worried about the fact that Darcy hasn't even sent an offer to either Chris Drury or Daniel Briere? If you are those guys and you suddenly got an offer 3 days before Free agency...what would you do? My guess....you'd go to free agency and test the market. And you would get signed pretty damn fast. I heard from ESPN that San Jose has already put the money aside from Drury and is ready for him to become a free agent. He'll be the first player signed IMO!

carybillsfan
06-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Vanek deserves $3-4M per season. I think a 5 year $22M deal is where he'll end up. Which I feel is a little high. Vanek is good, but he's a product of the system, he has the hands, but not the legs to completely take over a game.

Dr. Lecter
06-26-2007, 08:39 AM

So it would be OK to overpay for Drury and Briere, but not Vanek?

Darcy has built this team from the ground up. Does he deserve the benefit of the doubt?

carybillsfan
06-26-2007, 08:42 AM
okay fine. But aren't you a little worried about the fact that Darcy hasn't even sent an offer to either Chris Drury or Daniel Briere? If you are those guys and you suddenly got an offer 3 days before Free agency...what would you do? My guess....you'd go to free agency and test the market. And you would get signed pretty damn fast. I heard from ESPN that San Jose has already put the money aside from Drury and is ready for him to become a free agent. He'll be the first player signed IMO!

Why didn't we sign these guys earlier in the year?

Darcy seems very laid back, I don't know what he has in mind but as each day passes I get a little more jittery. Saturday is my birthday so maybe he saving the surprise until then, it would be a great present.

Michael82
06-26-2007, 08:44 AM

Darcy has built this team from the ground up. Does he deserve the benefit of the doubt?
I believe the Sabres have to overpay for Vanek....but if they let him touch the market....they are going to have to shell out ridiculous amounts of money for him or risk losing him for only a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

carybillsfan
06-26-2007, 08:54 AM
I believe the Sabres have to overpay for Vanek....but if they let him touch the market....they are going to have to shell out ridiculous amounts of money for him or risk losing him for only a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

The problem is today he, and his agent, can get an idae of what he's worth on the open market. This could potentially handcuff the Sabresin not being able to sign Briere or Drury.

Michael82
06-26-2007, 09:04 AM
The problem is today he, and his agent, can get an idae of what he's worth on the open market. This could potentially handcuff the Sabresin not being able to sign Briere or Drury.
That's a good point and that might be why they aren't offering the money that Drury and Briere will receive. They are trying to save room to pay Vanek $5 million a year, that goes up to like $8 million in a few years.....

camelcowboy
06-26-2007, 09:07 AM

Darcy has built this team from the ground up. Does he deserve the benefit of the doubt?BS. you take a 100 goals of production, countless leadership and you put off negotiations till the last possible week. When both players are so close to hitting the market they just may say screw it. Lecter i'll give darcy credit for building this team, but ill also give him credit for being a moron for draging his feet. Then you leave vanek unsigned so teams can jack up our pay roll? Im sorry i don't see anything here that i would call smart buisness management.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-26-2007, 09:16 AM
this is from the Press Conference when they announced re-signing of Lindy and Darcy.

Q: Are you talking with Thomas Vanek's agent? Are you trying to get something done before he may get a restricted offer?

Regier: No, I'm not a believer in operating out of fear. I've seen it take place in this business, where you have to absolutely have somebody and you pay for it. You pay for it because of some rumor. The reality is (that) there's a market value. He's a very good player. He's a very important player. There's a market value and you have to stay the course. You have to be looking at things on a longer term - not just on a short-term reaction. The other part is that I think we'll be fine with Thomas at the end of the day, I believe.

Dr. Lecter
06-26-2007, 09:20 AM
There is also a two way street in signing guys. It is not as simple as going out and forcing a player to put his name on a contract.

Michael82
06-26-2007, 10:30 AM
There is also a two way street in signing guys. It is not as simple as going out and forcing a player to put his name on a contract.
hello! we haven't even given a damn offer to either of them! :rolleyes:

Michael82
06-26-2007, 10:30 AM
BS. you take a 100 goals of production, countless leadership and you put off negotiations till the last possible week. When both players are so close to hitting the market they just may say screw it. Lecter i'll give darcy credit for building this team, but ill also give him credit for being a moron for draging his feet. Then you leave vanek unsigned so teams can jack up our pay roll? Im sorry i don't see anything here that i would call smart buisness management.
Great post! :bf1:

Dr. Lecter
06-26-2007, 10:42 AM
hello! we haven't even given a damn offer to either of them! :rolleyes:

And do we know all of the information? Do we know what the agents asked for? Do we know this or is this crap started by the agents?

Don't run with half of the story.

camelcowboy
06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
this is from the Press Conference when they announced re-signing of Lindy and Darcy.

Q: Are you talking with Thomas Vanek's agent? Are you trying to get something done before he may get a restricted offer?

Regier: No, I'm not a believer in operating out of fear. I've seen it take place in this business, where you have to absolutely have somebody and you pay for it. You pay for it because of some rumor. The reality is (that) there's a market value. He's a very good player. He's a very important player. There's a market value and you have to stay the course. You have to be looking at things on a longer term - not just on a short-term reaction. The other part is that I think we'll be fine with Thomas at the end of the day, I believe. He stated after the press conference that he misunderstood the question. They would be talking to him before the deadline.